Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The King of Stats presents the 2017 WWE Superstar & NXT Superstar of the Year

The King of Stats presents the 2017 WWE Superstar & NXT Superstar of the Year

G’day one and all, long time no see. For those of you who may have forgotten who I am, or those of you who are new around this neck of the woods let me introduce myself. I am the King of Stats, the man for whom numbers are my choice of drugs, and is a habit I just can’t kick. It’s been a while since I’ve been around, a touch over 10 months to be exact since I last layeth down my brand of smackdown on the pages of these hallowed forums. So for those of you who would like a quick catch up on my life this past year the next paragraph is for you, for those of you who don’t care, skip ahead to the next where I get on with the column proper.

So let me see, why haven’t I been around? Well I guess it comes down to money. As you all know I am the father of six kids (1 of which moved away in September due to issues I don’t need to go into here, happy to talk privately if anyone wishes to know more) so money is always a tight thing and my continued unemployment never helped with issues. While I am physically able to work I have made the choice to do only volunteer work to allow myself the flexibility to help with the kids as both me and my wife deal with the ever around burden of depression. These lack of finances saw our net slowed to a near standstill, which I was dealing with to get the columns out at the beginning of last year, before my laptop decided it had had enough and decided to go kaput on me. That meant when I finally got my net back to full strength I no longer had anything to write my columns on. Eventually I would have to sacrifice my net altogether to save money, thus fully cutting me off from my pastime of the last few years. My mum, knowing how much I enjoyed my writing, recently brought me a new desktop when she saw a Ĺ price sale and set me up with a prepaid net to once again put my thoughts onto computer screen.

Anyway all that aside, let’s get to why we are all here. For the last five years I have spent every January counting down the 30 best WWE Superstars (and for the last two years the 30 best NXT as well) of the previous year due to a scoring system I developed. This system is done in a best and fairest type of way, designating points to every match wrestlers compete in on any of WWE’s many TV offerings, depending on the level of the show and other factors. The WWE scoring is done as follows:

Minor Shows: Win=2, Loss/Draw=1 (Minor shows are NXT, Main Event, Superstars, PPV Kick-off, Tribute to the Troops, UK tournament, Mae Young Classic etc)
    Raw/Smackdown: Win=3, Loss/Draw=2, Main Event=3
    PPV: Win=4, Loss/Draw=3, Main Event=4
    Title Match: 2

NXT is done as such:

Non-NXT Specials: Win=3, Loss/Draw=1 (these are NXT matches on non-NXT shows)
    NXT: Win=6, Loss/Draw=2, Main Event=6
    Takeover: Win=9, Loss/Draw=3, Main Event=8
    Title Match: 4

As you can see this system benefits the work horses of the WWE which has caused some controversy at times. Some readers have had problems when a jobber scores better than somebody who has been World Champion in the year in question (yes neither Goldberg or Brock Lesnar made the top 30 this year). This countdown is designed to acknowledge the wrestlers who put in the hard yards week in and week out to keep us entertained, not show up just when the money is large enough to do so. To me a jobber that appears on TV must being down well at his job and should thus be applauded for their work just as much as the guys with the near perfect records. Who knows, today’s jobber may be tomorrow's champion, just look at Jinder.

While controversy has been created with the minor placings over the years the top 5 is generally received as a correct indication of the year in general and the overall winner agreed on to be the rightful winner by the majority of my readers. Just look at the Roll Of Honour to see just how good my system eventually works.

WWE Superstar of the Year
    2012: Sheamus
    2013: Daniel Bryan
    2014: Seth Rollins
    2015: Roman Reigns
    2016: Dean Ambrose

NXT Superstar of the Year
    2015: Finn Balor
    2016: Samoa Joe

Now that is quite an impressive list isn’t it? A who's who of the last few years of WWE TV with a spot opening up on each once again this year for another name added to each. Will this year see the first two time name added to a list or will we once again have a new entrant on both lists?

As has been the case each year I have added something to the countdown to make the countdown bigger and better. This year I decided that each time I do one of these I mention which is the Female Superstar of the Year in their entry but never fully acknowledge it on a grander scale. This year I have decided to rectify that by making two new Roll of Honours to acknowledge the women who have topped the list in each respective year. After going back over my records here are our two new Roll of Honours as stands, with their overall position attached to their name:

WWE Female Superstar of the Year
    2012: Eve Torres (33rd)
    2013: AJ Lee (25th)
    2014: Paige (24th)
    2015: Paige (19th)
    2016: Charlotte Flair (14th)

NXT Female Superstar of the Year
    2015: Bayley (4th)
    2016: Asuka (3rd)

Again an impressive list with a nice uptrend showing how the women’s division is starting to become a force to be reckoned with. The question is is the uptrend going to continue or has it reached its plateau? Those are questions that will be answered over the next 30 days.

Talking about questions that need to be answered, returning once again is the King of Stats Trivia (KOST) section. Each day I will leave a question for you to try to guess an answer to, the next day revealing the answer. As simple as that. Also returning will also be the match you may not have seen section, giving you a chance to see a match from 2017 from an indy promotion that you may not have come across yourself.

That’s enough talk, time to get this show on the road starting with today’s entries, the #30’s of WWE and NXT.

WWE #30 Neville
    107 points

The Stats

Minor Shows: 14-3-0
    Raw: 8-5-0
    Smackdown: 0-0-0
    PPV: 3-2-0
    Title Matches: 12
    Raw/SD Main Events: 0
    PPV Main Events: 0
    2016: 39th (100 points)

Year in Review

Having officially joining the Cruiserweight Division in December of 2016, having turned heel in the process for the first time in his WWE career, Neville was on a four match winning streak coming into 2017 (five in straight 1on1 matches). Victories over TJ Perkins, Lince Dorado, Tommy End (Aleister Black) and Cedric Alexander, as well as a Cruiserweight Title win over Rich Swann at the Royal Rumble would see him extend this streak out to nine matches. The run would end on the episode of 205 Live following the Rumble when teaming with Noam Dar he would lose to Jack Gallagher and Cedric Alexander.

Despite losing his undefeated streak the self proclaimed King of the Cruiserweights would still continue racking up 1on1 victories with his 10th in a row coming with another victory against TJ Perkins on the February 14 edition of 205 Live. At Fastlane Neville would successfully defend his title against Jack Gallagher who had had his number in three tag matches leading up to the PPV. The following night on Raw Neville would once again beat Rich Swann to retain the title once more.

After his victory against Swann, Neville would be attacked by his post match interviewer Austin Aries starting a feud between the two. Leading up to Wrestlemania Neville would pick up victories against Mustafi Ali and Jack Gallagher before successfully defending against Aries on the PPV kickoff show. Another set of victories would follow against Ali and Gallager with Neville’s fourth tag team loss (out of four matches) of the year sandwiched in between. At Payback Neville’s 1on1 win streak would end at 17 when he would lose his title match against Aries by DQ, though he would still keep his title.

Neville would finally pick up his first tag team win on the May 15 edition of Raw when he would team with TJP to beat Aries and Gallagher. At Extreme Rules Neville would end his feud with Aries beating him in a Submission Match. On the following 205 Live he would defend his title against TJP giving him his second win in another, albeit smaller, 1on1 win streak. The streak would come with the scalps of Rich Swann, Lince Dorado (x2) and Mustafa Ali before the last victory coming at the kickoff show for Great Balls of Fire when he defended his title against Akira Tozawa. This streak would end with a countout loss to Ariya Daivari on the July 25 edition of 205 Live.

On August 14 Neville’s Cruiserweight Title run would end at 197 days when Tozawa would beat him on that days edition of Raw. This would mark the first time he had been pinned or submitted in a 1on1 match since Bo Dallas had done it last in October of 2016. Neville would not have to wait long for his revenge against Tozawa as later that week on the kickoff show for Summerslam he would regain his title from Tozawa and successfully retain it in Tozawa’s rematch on the following 205 Live.

The next month Neville would pick up a victory over Gran Metalik before losing his title once more at No Mercy, this time to Enzo Amore. Neville’s last match of the year would come at 205 Live on September 26 when he would beat Ariya Daivari.

The Future

Neville’s future could be a very tricky thing to predict. With him supposedly walking out on an edition of Raw where he was once again supposed to lose to Enzo Amore. With a lot of speculation that he had left the company circulating along with the rumours of how unhappy he was working there it would not be a surprise if he was let out of his contract in the near future.
    The fact however that he is still employed with the company is a good sign however that we may see Neville back in the future. What his role would be on his return is an even harder question to answer. His time spent in the Cruiserweight division was one of the highlights of the year and was probably the best he has been in his whole WWE run but if he is truly unhappy with where he was than possibly a return to the main card would be where he returns, once again lost in the shuffle.

NXT #30 Bobby Fish
    49 points

The Stats

NXT: 2-2-0
    Takeover: 1-0-0
    Title Matches: 1
    NXT Main Events: 2
    Takeover Main Events: 1
    2016: DNW

Year in Review

A former ROH stalwart Bobby Fish was a surprise signing along with two of his ROH friends who will come up in this write-up as well as have their own entries in the coming days. On the day he was officially announced as being signed (July 12) Fish would have his first televised match, losing to Aleister Black (though the match had been pre-taped on June 26).

At Takeover: Brooklyn III Fish would attack SAnitY with the help of Kyle O’Reilly after they had won the NXT Tag Titles. Later on in the night the two would accompany Adam Cole when he would attack newly crowned NXT Champion Drew McIntyre. The trio would eventually become known as The Undisputed Era.

On September 20 Fish would team with O’Reilly to defeat Trent Seven and Tyler Bate. It would be another 4 weeks before Fish would see any in-ring when the whole Undisputed Era would lose to SAnitY in a 6-man tag match.

In just his fourth match in NXT Fish, along with O’Reilly and Cole, would main event his first Takeover when at Takeover: War Games they would beat both SAnitY and the trio of The Authors of Pain and Roderick Strong. Fish and O’Reilly would follow this up on December 20 by beating SanitY to become the new NXT Tag Team champions.

The Future

I don’t really know how I feel about Fish signing with the WWE. I mean he is good and all but at the age of 41 I just don’t know how much of a long term signing he could be. For now though everything is going fine, he is there to serve a purpose with his two younger teammates and they are doing a good job of doing so. What comes of him in the future is an unknown, even if he only has a short span of time left he will do his best to put on the best show he can

KOST Question: A relatively easy one to start, who had the most matches on all WWE TV in 2017?

2017 Match You May Have Not Seen

CZW World Heavyweight Title Match
    Lio Rush (c) vs. Davey Richards

Name of the event: DEFY3 Swerve City
    Date: 26.05.2017
    Promotion: DEFY Wrestling
    Arena: Washington Hall

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBZ...U0Dzxuj3a3qSQw

Last edited by zzzorf; 01-01-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Squared
    Haven't read this yet, but I know I am not going to be the only one pleased to see that handle... Welcome back!

Welcome back, as always the stats are tough work and always appreciate a very factual view of the state of things in wwe. Surprised to see Neville so early - thought he had a brilliant year character wise. As for Fish, I haven’t watched NxT since Nak and Joe got the main roster. Question is, who statistically just missed out at rank 51?
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

I just had a quick scroll through your column from last year, really looking forward to seeing it this year. It feels kind of weird to say good to have you back since I'm so new and you predate me by a long way but it is great to have you here none the less.

Glad to hear you got your internet issues sorted out and also all the best with your battles with your wife's depression. My wife suffers from pretty terrible anxiety at times and there have certainly been some really tough moments for us. My heart always goes out to those who have to deal with that and I can't even imagine how adding six kids into the equation complicates things (we don't have any).

Anyway looking forward to seeing who wins, hopefully Dean Ambrose again but I wouldn't put any money on it. Also it's great to have another Aussie on here, Bear is a citizen now so we are growing stronger in number all the time!

The Brain
    Wayne!!! Super glad to see you back! Sorry to hear about the troubles you've been having, now that you're back online you know I'm always available to chat on facebook or wherever.

Love that this series has returned, and love most of all that you are once again including matches from all over world!! That was far and away my favorite part last year, and I hope people don't end up sleeping on that because it's spectacular to see such a great assortment of matches brought to light.

Neville is a guy people have been very excited about lately, and you wonder where he might have placed if he hadn't decided to leave (or perhaps just take a break?). Fish will probably stay on as a tag guy, at his age, and good for him for getting a shot at the big leagues. He's never blown me away but he's a good hand.

Looking forward to more, man, welcome back!

Holy crap this is awesome. glad to hear you are alright-ish. Unemployment is a cunt, hope your situation gets better this year.

Onto the stats and I am surprised to see Neville this low, I guess he did never main event Raw or anything, but I expected him to be higher.

As for most matches, I am going to say AJ Styles since he was busy all year.

I'm almost certain of this one, which makes me think I'm going to be wrong. Either way, I'm going with AJ Styles.

Dude, missed this, and you, so much! Hope you're around for a while. This is a great way to get back into it. Welcome back my brother!

F2F

Prime Time: Not talking to you to you actually read the column, lol. It's good to be back dude.

JacobWrestledGod: Character wise Neville did have a good year, he just didn't have the match numbers to back it up, the early finish to the year hurt him too. Now I assume you meant 31 not 51, the two unlucky soles were Kalisto and Sonya Deville.

SirSam: First off welcome to the CF, always love to see new faces here, even if you have been here for awhile I have just been AWOL. Australia did have a nice little contingent at times. I don't know if our friendly Motorhome still frequents these parts or if the dingo's got him but me and him were giving these Yanks and Poms a run for the money for awhile in our own special way.

mizfan: By any chance can you do your match of the year series in February from now on, you always give me too hard a competition to beat every year in January, lol. Knew you would love the matches returning, I nearly left them out this year.

kingzak13: If you think this is awesome, remember this is a Soccer World Cup year, there is another series that I think needs to return as well, wink, wink. The lack of main events definitely did cost him some places, especially considering how many times the cruiserweights ended the show after he walked.

spinmaster: Yeah I remember last year you had a bit of problem with your certainties.

TripleR: Missed this? this series? but I did it last year, how could you miss it? Lol, I guess you mean the whole King of Stats style. You know what, I missed doing it probably more than you missed seeing it.

WWE #29 Jey Uso
    108 points

The Stats

Minor Shows: 2-1-0
    Raw: 0-0-0
    Smackdown: 11-9-0
    PPV: 4-3-0
    Raw/SD Main Events: 1
    2016: 16th (166 points)

Year in Review

The Usos year in the ring would have started on the 31st of January when they answered an open challenge offered by the Smackdown Tag Team champions American Alpha for a title match, however they were not the only ones to do so. After a brawl erupted between the entire Smackdown tag team roster the Usos would have to wait another week before they could have their first match of the year, as part of a winning team that also consisted of Ascension and The Vaudevillains in a 12-man tag team match. At Elimination Chamber the duo would be involved in a Tag Team Turmoil Match for the Tag Team Titles, entering fourth and eliminating Heath Slater & Rhyno before losing to eventual winners, and retaining champs, American Alpha. On March 14 The Usoís would beat American Alpha in a non-title match thus earning them a title match the following week, a match they would also win.

Despite being champions The Usos would not defend the titles at Wrestlemania but instead would appear in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. With this match being on the kickoff show this would mark the sixth time in a row that the duo would compete on the pre-show and not on the main card proper.

Following Wrestlemania the pair would start to defend their title, first against American Alpha in their rematch on April 11 and then against Breezango at Backlash and itís following Smackdown. It would be at the next monthís PPV, Battleground, that The Usos would lose the titles after holding them for 124 days when they were unable to beat their new challengers The New Day.

That is where I will leave this entry today, I will finish it when Jeyís brother Jimmy has his day. Why though is Jey below Jimmy on the tally? Well without giving away anything on Jimmyís behalf you just need to look at Jeyís record without his brother with him losing all three singles matches he had in 2017, not being able to overcome Tyler Breeze, Xavier Woods or Shelton Benjamin.

The Future

The Usos were easily one of the best tag teams of this decade but their act had started to get stale, especially with new acts like The New Day and Enzo & Cass ripping it up on a nightly basis. The heel turn that they did, dropping all the gimmicks they had as a face breathed a breath of fresh air into them and once again put them at the top of the tag division. The matches that they were having in 2017 were easily some of the best tag matches of the year and withholding injuries they should be easily able to carry it into the new year. I donít want to see them change this anytime soon.

NXT #29 Oney Lorcan
    50 points

The Stats

NXT: 3-9-1
    Takeover: 0-0-0
    Title Matches: 0
    Takeover Main Events: 0
    2016: 42nd (24 points)

Year in Review

To be honest Oney Lorcan is lucky to have made the top 30 for NXT, not that there is anything really wrong with him being there, more the fact that he hasnít really been involved in any big storylines, just around for matches when needed throughout the year. It is this amount of matches that sees Lorcan reach this high a spot (with a couple of main events to help with the extra points needed), showing just how a capable hand he is that they will call upon him as needed to help further storylines already in place, or to give other wrestlers something to do in between storylines.

Since there isnít much pattern to Lorcanís matches with no story behind them I will save you the torture of me turning all the matches he had in 2017 into sentences and instead will just list them here below.

Jan 11: lost to Andrade Almas
    Feb 1: lost to Tyler Bate
    Mar 22: lost to Andrade Almas
    Apr 5: defeated El Vagabondo (Elias Samson) (main event)
    Apr 12: lost to Drew McIntyre (main event)
    Jun 7: no contest against Hideo Itami
    Jun 28: defeated Hideo Itami by refís decision
    Jun 28: lost to Hideo Itami
    Jul 19: defeated Danny Burch
    Aug 9: lost to Danny Burch
    Sep 27: lost to Lars Sullivan
    Oct 25: w/Danny Burch lost to Riddick Moss & Tino Sabbatelli
    Dec 13: w/Danny Burch lost to The Authors of Pain

The Future

The first thing I have to say is how much I hate the name Oney Lorcan, it has to be far and away the worst name the WWE has come up with. Name aside I was a bit of a fan before Lorcan signed with WWE, back in the days when he was known as Biff Busick (yeah I know, he has a history of bad names). However since joining NXT in 2016 he has done nothing to warrant my fandom. Yeah his matches are good, but they donít feel the same and he doesnít seem to fit the mold needed to be a WWE superstar (which I never felt he did). Lorcan is one guy I would love to see return to the Indyís, he is a much better fit there and able to do so much more than he is now.

KOST Answer: Surprisingly no one went with the little stat trivia I had placed into SkitZís christmas schmozzle where I stated Seth Rollins had had the most WWE matches in 2017, but then again if you did you would have been wrong as that tidbit included dark matches and house shows as well. While your guesses of AJ Styles were worthy picks you will be surprised to find out that Tony Nese had the most matches on all WWE TV with 61 (which still couldnít give him enough points to get higher than 39th).

KOST Question: Who appeared in the most PPV Matches in 2017? (please note pre-shows donít count)

HOG Heavyweight Title Match
    Amazing Red (c) vs. Ricochet

Name of the event: HOG Chapter Two
    Date: 29.09.2017
    Promotion: House Of Glory
    Arena: Queens Elks Lodge

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Houseofglory1

The Brain
    Holy christ, Oney Lorcan is a pale motherfucker!! I'm always surprised he hasn't gotten more of a push since being signed, he was primed to be a big indy name but he's sort of tread water in WWE.

No such luck on waiting on the MOTY series, but based on the feedback you are ahead of the game this year! Nice job timing your comeback to combat me most effectively, lol.

One certainty stated and one failed. Might as well try again. I'm going to say Randy Orton since he fought on a Raw exclusive PPV as well.

I'm going to go with AJ Styles for fought on the most PPVs.
    Im glad The Usos made it, they had a killer year and and truly earnt a position here. Let's hope they don't get disrespected again and left of the main card at Mania, even if they just rerun Usos v New Day I'll be a happy man.

F2F

Mizfan: Yeah he is rather white isn't he, not Sheamus white but getting close. Don't worry after the initial shock of my return dies down so will the comments, that is when your series will take over.

Spinmaster: The only way to win is to try, you never know unless you do.

SirSam: What surprises me is that they weren't higher. To me they felt like they were a major player all year but when you look at the stats it seems like they were never there.

WWE #28 Cedric Alexander
    109 points

The Stats

Minor Shows: 24-11-1
    Raw: 12-3-0
    PPV: 1-0-0
    2016: 83rd (37 points)

Year in Review

Cedric Alexander started 2017 in what seemed to be a never ending feud with Noam Dar over Alicia Fox, I mean even Alexander himself at one stage said to Dar ďI thought we had already ended thisĒ (or something similar anyway, my memory is a little foggy on the exact words). Anyway my thoughts on a feud that went nowhere, and kept going nowhere aside, let's take a look at Alexanders year.

It would take three matches for Alexander to see his first victory of the year having lost to Drew Gulak and Dar before picking up the victory against The Brian Kendrick. This victory would not start a spree of them however as he would go straight back to losing with losses to Gulak and Neville. While Alexander may have been struggling in singles matches he would have better luck in tag matches. Over the following weeks he would team with Jack Gallagher, Mustafa Ali and TJ Perkins to beat the teams of Neville & Dar, Gulak & Nese and Dar & Nese respectively.

A knee injury would see Alexander miss the next three months before making his return on May 23 beating Johnny Boone on 205 Live. The injury had helped Alexander find winning form as he would follow up the Boone victory with wins over Corey Hollis, Noam Dar (x2), Ariya Daivari and The Brian Kendrick before finally tasting defeat against Daivari. With Alexander and Dars feud now reignited (and the line written above being mentioned) the two would end the feud by having an I Quit match on the July 11 edition of 205 Live which Alexander would force Dar to say those dreaded words.

With the Dar feud now over Alexander became just another cruiserweight in the shuffle, appearing on both 205 Live and Raw. The one good thing for Alexander was he was at least on the winning end of this shuffle, winning 18 of his next 24 matches, the majority of which were tag team matches.

In December things would change for Alexander as on the 11th he would win a Fatal-4-Way that also featured Ariya Daivari, Mustafa Ali and Tony Nese which would see him to go on and face Drew Gulak a week later to become the number 1 contender for the Cruiserweight Title held by Enzo Amore (this spot was meant for Rich Swann but due to his possible indiscretions was left on the suspension floor).

The Future

In my opinion Alexander is one of the more entertaining in-ring Cruiserweights the WWE has to offer. Heís not Nese or Swann but still damn good. If there was anyone I deem to think should get more of a spotlight he is definitely one of them. However Alexander has not shown enough on the personality side to make it worthwhile to give him the spotlight. Hopefully this little run with Amore will help him show something so down the line he will be able to become more than just part of the shuffle.

NXT #28 Adam Cole
    53 points

The Stats

NXT: 1-3-0
    NXT Main Events: 4

Year in Review

As stated two days ago in Bobby Fishís entry Adam Cole debuted in NXT at Takeover: Brooklyn III, taking out the new NXT Champion Drew McIntyre with Fish and Kyle OíReilly. This attack would instantly put the trio, collectively known as The Undisputed Era, straight to the top of NXT. This was shown when Cole would have his first match in the main event of September 27 edition of NXT where he would be victorious over the leader of SAnitY Eric Young. The feud between the two teams would continue with SAnitY able to pull off a victory in the 6-man tag main event of the October 18 NXT.

While the feud with SAnitY was happening Cole and his buddies were also trying to bring Roderick Strong into their fold. Unable to do so Cole would face Strong in the NXT main event on November 8, losing by DQ. The two feuds would come to a head at Takeover: War Games where The Undisputed Era would beat both SAnitY and Strong, being joined by The Authors of Pain, in the main event War Games match.

Cole would end the year trying to become the #1 contender for the NXT Title but would lose his qualifying match against Aleister Black on December 13. This match like all of his others was the main event of the show, thus being the only wrestler (with more than one match) to main event every show he wrestled on in NXT.

The Future

Of all three members of The Undisputed Era Adam Cole is the one I have least interest in. I have never really been able to grasp the hype for him and am not a big fan. I guess I can understand why WWE signed him, as the masses seem to love him, but in my opinion I wanted be disappointed if he quietly went away before he made it onto the main roster.

KOST Answer: In fact both of you are correct as both Randy Orton and AJ Styles had the most PPV matches in 2017 with 11 apiece having appeared on all Smackdown and joint PPVs plus appearing on a Raw PPV, 1 facing Bray Wyatt, the other replacing him.

KOST Scoreboard
    1 - Spinmaster, SirSam

KOST Question: Who wrestled the most matches on Raw in 2017?

MCW Heavyweight Title Match
    Jonah Rock (c) vs. Mr. Juicy

Name of the event: MCW Collision Course 2017
    Date: 09.09.2017
    Promotion: Melbourne City Wrestling
    Arena: MCW Arena

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/melbcitywrestling

The Brain
    I've not been as excited for Cedric as some, but I'm glad he's succeeding reasonably well within the 205 mini-verse. He seems like a good opponent for Enzo, and stepping up in the wake of Swann's crime (no doubt about the situation, the police report is pretty clear) reflects well on him as a reliable player.

I'm with you, Cole is a guy I have essentially no interest in. At best the man annoys me, but usually he just bores me. He seemingly had a lot of hype at one time, but I can't imagine why, you know?

Loving the series, can't wait to dig into these matches when I have time a little later in the month!

I think Cedric has great potential, as well as the singles feuds with Darren and Davarri at TLC he had a fantastic performance in a multi man tag. Had the crowd behind him equally when he was fighting Kendrick's submission and when he was flipping around which I thought was a great sign that people were cheering HIM not just his moves.

As to the question I'm gona guess it is one of the members of The Bar because the main event guys often don't wrestle but those two seem to be constantly involved in one on one or tag matches. Because I need to pick one I'll go with Sheamus.

You took the words right out of my mouth, another world cup is going to be great.

Damn I would have guessed AJ but completely forgot to post.

Tony Nese having the most matches makes sense, he would be a part of most tag clusterfucks on Raw and every episode of 205 I imagine (or most of them). I am surprised he didn't make the list, I am going to assume a poor win-loss record cost him.

A bit surprised that Jimmy and Jey aren't back to back, I don't think they can have that different stats.

I don't really get the Undisputed Era, they are a good team and have their impact but as individuals they don't interest me.

As for todays question, it is either gonna be Roman, Braun or maybe Sasha Banks since she was on a lot. Gonna say Roman as my answer.

I also just realised the match you posted was from one of our Aussie independent shows MCW. I love how good our local scene is getting lately. Okada and Bad Luck Fala even visited Melbourne (shame I only found out about it the day it all happened).

I actually wrote a column about a local match that I hold very near and ear to my heart if you are interested. It's called Falco v Syd Parker And The Night It Was Still Real To Me:
    http://www.lordsofpain.tv/showthread...ill-Real-To-Me

Woo! Got one. Let's go with Seth Rollins for Raw matches. As for Adam Cole, I accept him for what he is but he is far from my favorite person to watch. On the other side I really love Cedric Alexander. I enjoyed him in ROH and I hope for good things for him in the future on 205 Live. I'd like to see him get the title this year but I see it being Hideo who beats Enzo, instead of Alexander.

F2F

Mizfan: i can't wait for you to dig into the matches as well, hearing your thoughts on stuff like that is always a highlight.

SirSam: Alexander's moves definitely help get people invested in his match, I just hope that in the long run he can keep them invested on the outside of the ring.

kingzak13: Yeah an overall 18-43 record on TV for the year definitely did not help Nese at all. As to The Usos being back to back, the scores are that tight that there are barely anything between all these minor placings, it could have gone anyway.

SirSam x2: I'll check out that column when I get a chance later. I have heard of Syd Parker before actually. I myself have only written 1 column about Australian wrestling, a column on a legendary tag team The Kangaroos. You can check it out here if you want https://web.archive.org/web/20160802..._Tag_Team.html

Spinmaster: Yeah Hideo does seem the most likely to beat Enzo doesn't it, I just worry about his health to hold a belt, he always seems to be getting injured.

WWE #27 Karl Anderson
    111 points

The Stats

Minor Shows: 5-2-0
    Raw: 10-21-0
    PPV: 1-1-0
    Title Matches: 7
    Raw/SD Main Events: 2
    2016: 25th (131 points)

Year in Review

The Club (saves me typing Gallows and Anderson every time I want to refer to them) started the year in search of the Raw Tag Team Titles. On January 16 they would have a shot at the titles held at the time by Cesaro and Sheamus and despite the fact it looked like they had won the title by pinfall they would not leave with the title as Sheamus would be disqualified thus keeping the titles on the champions. A rematch would happen on the kickoff show for the Royal Rumble with this time The Club leaving with the titles in hand. The next week the two teams would have another rematch with once again The Club leaving victorious.

The next challengers for The Clubs title would be Enzo Amore and Big Cass with the match happening at Fastlane. The Club would successfully retain on this occasion and would again the following night, this time however only winning by disqualification. At Wrestlemania The Club was scheduled to face Enzo & Cass and Sheamus & Cesaro in a Triple Threat Ladder match but the match would turn into a Fatal-4-Way Ladder match with the sudden inclusion of the returning Hardy Boyz, the surprise seaming to much for The Club with the Hardys leaving as new champions.

The night after Wrestlemania The Club would fail in their rematch to win the titles back from The Hardys, the last chance they would get for the rest of the year to win the titles they held for 63 days. The closest they would get to another shot would be on May 8 when they would appear in a #1 contenderís Gauntlet Match where they would enter as the 5th team but would lose to Cesaro and Sheamus thus dashing their one last chance at championship gold.

For the rest of the year of what The Club were doing instead of hunting for the titles you will have to wait for Gallowís day. Before we move on though let's take a look at how Anderson went without Gallows holding the tag rope. Anderson would appear in three 1on1 matches in 2017 picking up a victory over Cesaro and losses to Finn Balor and Jason Jordan. For his comparison to Gallows, and why he scored less than him, again you will have to wait for his day.

The Future

If Raw is anything to go by on New Years Day than already 2018 is going to take a different route for Anderson. To be honest that change is really needed, for to me The Clubs act after losing the titles was one of the worst parts of the year but more about that when we talk about it in a few days.

Anderson has always been my struggle to get into the Club but I will hold mu judgement hear to see how this new angle plays out.

NXT #27 Kyle OíReilly
    55 points

The Stats

NXT: 2-2-0
    NXT Main Events: 3

Year in Review

Itís getting late here and we have heard this section already twice in the first three entries, so to save me waking up tired for my birthday I am going to keep this short and sweet. Basically I have already written what The Undisputed Era got up to since their debut in both Bobby Fishís and Adam Coleís entries, the only thing missing was Kyle OíReillyís debut. This would be in a losing effort to Aleister Black on the main event of NXT on August 2.

The Future

Of all three members of the Undisputed Era I believe OíReilly has the biggest upside for the WWE. As I said for Fish his age is his biggest disadvantage and Cole has nothing of interest for me, therefore by order of elimination OíReilly is the best thing left. I know this is a bad way to look at things but I donít know how else to do it, the trio just in the end do nothing for me in the long run and are holding places thanks to their names I think other wrestlers could of had.

KOST Answer: hmm 3 guesses but only 1 is right. Iíll tell you straight out that Reigns was definitely the right answer as he had the 8th most matches on Raw. The Bar came so close but they would eventually fall 1 match short to Seth Rollins at 37 matches.

KOST Scoreboard
    2 - Spinmaster
    1 - SirSam

KOST Question: Who wrestled the most matches on Smackdown in 2017?

PWI Ultra J Title Match
    Chet Sterling (c) vs. Logan Easton LaRoux

Name of the event: CWF Mid-Atlantic Madness In Any Direction 2017
    Date: 20.05.2017
    Promotion: Carolina Wrestling Federation Mid-Atlantic
    Arena: Mid-Atlantic Sportatorium

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CWFMidAtlantic

I guess having a couple months off before Mania didn't hurt his score. I figured that was Seth's downfall for the category.

I have honestly yet to see anything that makes me think The Club are any good at all. They are far from the best wrestlers in the tag team division and there is nothing there for character, to me they are couple of overhyped indy guys with no real substance to them. Maybe they can try and prove me wrong this year but I have two years of evidence at my back, it's going to be an uphill battle.

Most matches on SmackDown. I am going to say Randy Orton, with AJ as a close second.

The Brain
    Oh, the Club. So much hype, so little to actually offer. I've known some people who were very high on Karl in past years, but he doesn't seem like he's delivered much in WWE. Ah well! O'Reilly is probably the best actual in ring guy in UE, but I think he's too bland to have much of a ceiling. If he and Fish can stick together as tag guys, they probably have a better shot.

Argh, I can't believe I have to watch a Logan Easton LaRoux match! I'm very much not a fan of his alter ego, Race Jaxon. Then again some people I know have praised his work as LaRoux, so maybe he'll show me something new!

Karl Anderson you poor guy. I bet he didn't expect to be a forgotten jobber tag team when they signed with WWE. Hopefully this return to The Club with Balor will be the shot in the ass that these three need to become important parts of the roster once again. They have the talent but for some reason haven't clicked yet. Hopefully that changes now.

As for the question. I'm going back to AJ Styles again.

F2F

kingzak13: You know what you summed up my thoughts of The Club very well, and that's with me coming in with a fandom of Anderson from his TNA run.

Mizfan: Yes the hype was massive wasn't it, probably a reason we shouldn't believe the hype (unless your Mojo since he's always hyped).

Spinmaster: When you consider who his main two tag team partners have been I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson expected to be used more as a jobber, he just looked at the dollars and realised it was a good idea at this time of his career.

WWE #26 Jimmy Uso
    112 points

The Stats

Minor Shows: 2-1-0
    Raw: 0-0-0
    Smackdown: 13-8-0
    PPV: 4-3-0
    2016: 17th (157 points)

Year in Review

So today we find the second Uso to make the countdown, thus meaning it couldn’t have come at a better time for me to only do a write up for half a year as I’m currently into my 3rd can of Nelson County Bourbon & Cola to celebrate my birthday and I have no plan on stopping any time soon, so this column could of got a bit blurry if it took me too long to write. Anyway enough about me, we are supposed to be talking about Jimmy.

So when we left off on Jey’s entry The Uso’s had just loss the Smackdown Tag Team Titles to The New Day at Battleground. Well it wouldn’t take The Usos long to get those titles back for after picking up victories over Sami Zayn & Tye Dillinger and The New Day on episodes of Smackdown they would beat The New Day on the kickoff show for Summerslam to win back their titles.

After victories against The Hype Bros and The New Day (again) on Smackdown The New Day would have their rematch at the special Sin City version of Smackdown in a Street Fight. Once again The New Day would take the titles away from The Usos and once again it wouldn’t take The Usos long to win them back again. After beating The Hype Bros again on Smackdown they would go into Hell in a Cell and once again beat The New Day, this time however with the cell surrounding them. Ending the year as champions The Usos would hold the titles for a total of 229 of the 365 days in 2017 in their three runs with the belts.

On the next edition of Smackdown The Usos would show their respect of The New Day and call a truce to their feud, turning face once more due to this fact. The next match for the Usos would be one day short of their match at the HIAC PPV and would see them retain their title against Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin, only losing by count-out. At Survivor Series The Usos would beat the Raw Tag Team champions Sheamus & Cesaro before going onto Clash of Champions and retaining their titles in a Fatal-4-Way against The New Day, Benjamin & Gable and Rusev & Aiden English.

Now as to why Jimmy is higher than Jey this year (last year it was Jey in the lead). Well as you remember Jey wrestled three 1on1 matches in 2017, losing all three. Well in Jimmy’s case he wrestled four, losing his first two against Fandango and Big E but winning his other two against Kofi Kingston and Chad Gable.

The Future

The feud mentioned above between The Usos and The New Day was easily one of the best of the year and while the title flip-flopping around annoyed me I can’t deny how the matches they had were bench setters for quality in the last year. As I said in Jey’s entry, I really don’t want The Usos to change anything at the moment as they seem to be doing everything right I may have to change that slightly. They really need to get rid of that “Day One Ish” slogan, that shit really grates on my nerves.

NXT #26 Otis Dozovic
    56 points

The Stats

NXT: 7-2-0
    NXT Main Events: 1
    2016: DNP

Year in Review

OK so after cooking a quick barbeque dinner (just sausages and rissoles) and now about six cans in (I think anyway, sort of lost count) it's time to get back into this shit. Once again I am praising god that I only have to do a half a year as we have one half of a tag team but the even better part this time is I can skip the last paragraph as Otis Dozovic and his partner Tucker Knight have the exact same write-ups due to them not wrestling without the other in the corner.

Having had only one match on NXT TV, teaming with already experienced Tucker Knight in the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic in 2016, not much was expected of Dozovic when he once again turned up on NXT TV in 2017, still with Tucker Knight, now known collectively as Heavy Machinery. So when they lost their first match of the year against already very well established The Revival on February 8 it wasn’t against expectations.

This would change though as over the next few months the duo would run through numerous enhancement talents as they started to make a name for themselves. These teams were made up of Jonathan Ortagun & Mike Marshall, The Bollywood Boyz, Hector Kunsman & Ricardo Watts and Lars Sullivan & Victor Andrews.

For what came after the initial enhancement talent stage your just gunna have to come back tomorrow now aren’t you.

The Future

Since a fair majority of my readers are American in their honour I plead the fifth until tomorrow’s entry.

OK guys anyway I’m out for today I’m going to go enjoy the rest of the day, someone only turns 21 once lol (unless your my dad, he had been turning 21 for like 37 years now). Tomorrow I’ll be back and luckily since I write these of a night the hangover should be gone by then and the column should be reasonably coherent. Until tomorrow remember THE STATS NEVER LIE.

KOST Answer: Spinmaster gets it again. AJ Styles had the most matches on Smackdown in 2017. Our other guess of Randy Orton, while only the 3rd most matches on Smackdown, was a total of 6 matches short of AJ.

KOST Scoreboard
    3 - Spinmaster
    1 - SirSam

KOST Question: Who wrestled the most matches on NXT in 2017?

IWC Women's Title Match
    Britt Baker (c) vs. Rachel Ellering

Name of the event: IWC Night Of The Superstars 6
    Date: 08.04.2017
    Promotion: International Wrestling Cartel
    Arena: Meadville Area High School

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5g...SKQ8dINF722uCA

Last edited by zzzorf; 01-05-2018 at 04:26 AM.

Ooh, this lets me drop in with my one and only half decent Jimmy Uso factoid - he currently holds the record for being the WWE Ironman, having not had a break of more than 40 days for his entire stint with the company, racking up 982 matches (and presumably a few more since I read that article). Which is pretty darned impressive, right?

As for Dozovic - man I love him and Heavy Machinery. Tag titles for them please.

KOSTQ - I'm going with Andrade Almas.

Glad to see you back, dude.

The Brain
    Happy birthday, Wayne! Glad to hear it sounds like you had a good one. Funny that Jimmy edged in front of his brother the way he did! I literally did not know Otis' name before now. Looking forward to digging into these matches when I have time!

Heavy Machinery have not managed to click with me yet. I can't quite place my finger on why but hopefully that changes before they end up pushed.

NXT matches? Hmm.... Roderick Strong

Wow, thanks for that link, I honestly did not know of that story, what a great piece of Aussie wrestling history. I'm not sure if you caught the ABC's podcast series Beyond the Belt earlier this year but they actually had an episode dedicates to the history if independent wrestling here, fascinating stuff apparently we used to have a HUGE scene that would regularly attract crowds of 10,000 plus. Great indy scene now, particularly down in Melbourne but eve around here in NSW there are some decent feds.

Loved The Usos this year, completely reinvented their characters and their promos were genuinely something else. As for Heavy Machinery, they will make great fodder for the champs down the line.

With the question I'll go with Roddy Strong. Although knowing my luck it'll probably end up being Lars Sullivan or someone like that.

Loved this last year, love it this year

...dammit Cesaro!

F2F

Oliver: He would have a few more matches if it wasn't for his brothers injuries, nice factoid all the same.

Mizfan: Yeah it was a good one. It is always amazing to see which tag team member beats the other, always coming down to that 1 or 2 singles matches

Spinmaster: You'll get there in the end.

SirSam: Now I haven't heard that podcast but I will check it out if it is still available. As to the old scene I have in the last few years and checked out stuff about our past. Back in the days of our WCW we were the best paying fed and is why so many of the biggest names would come and do tours here.

Burn1nMyLight: I love the fact that you love it.

WWE #25 Bray Wyatt
    113 points

The Stats

Minor Shows: 0-0-0
    Raw: 7-5-0
    Smackdown: 3-2-0
    PPV: 3-5-0
    Title Matches: 4
    Raw/SD Main Events: 6
    PPV Main Events: 4
    2016: 23rd (134 points)

Year in Review

2016 ended very poorly for Bray Wyatt with him losing the Smackdown Tag Team titles on the final Smackdown even though he wasnít actually part of the match (thanks to the Freebird Rule) and his family members (at the time Luke Harper and Randy Orton) were at odds. 2017 didnít start out any better, failing to win the titles back with Orton and then excommunicating Harper from the family after he lost a match to Orton.

Once Harper was gone though things started to improve for Wyatt. In the Royal Rumble match he would enter at #21 and would make the final three. After teaming with Orton to beat Harper and John Cena on an edition of Smackdown, Wyatt would enter the Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Championship at number four and would eliminate the current Champion Cena and the former champion AJ Styles to win the match and his first singles title. Two nights later he would successfully retain his new title beating Cena and Styles in a Triple Threat match.

With Orton being the Royal Rumble winner it looked like he was not going to use his guaranteed shot against his leader Wyatt but it was all a ruse and the two would face off at Wrestlemania with Orton ending Wyattís reign at only 49 days and giving him his third consecutive Wrestlemania loss. Due to Wyattís drafting to Raw the rematch for the title was scheduled for the Raw PPV Payback but the unique House of Horrors match would end up being non-title thus meaning when Wyatt won the title was not forthcoming.

Wyattís first goal on Raw was to become the #1 contender for the Universal Title but would fail to do so in a Fatal-5-Way at Extreme Rules. Coming out of that PPV Wyatt would enter into a feud with Seth Rollins, beating him at Great Balls of Fire and again the following night.

Next on Wyattís radar was Finn Balor who he would beat on the August 14 edition of Raw before going onto losing to Balorís Demon persona at Summerslam. The two would have another match at No Mercy, with the stipulation that it had to be normal Balor and not the Demon, with Balor once again leaving the winner. These two were scheduled to fight one more time at TLC with Demon Balor squaring off against Sister Abigail but due to medical issues Wyatt was pulled and replaced by AJ Styles.

Wyatt would return on November 13 losing to Jason Jordan before beating Matt Hardy a fortnight later sparking a feud between the two to finish the year.

The Future

With Wyatt having had only 25 matches in 2017 he has the honour of having had the least amount of matches in the top 30 (only John Cena and Jeff Hardy have less (22) in the top 50). As I say every year this lack of matches helps him keep his mystique but then itís things like him crossdressing as Sister Abigail that totally blow what they have tried to build. For Wyatt to continue to be a success creative are going to have to have a sit down and work out exactly what they are trying to do with him as now quite a few years in the mystique is slowly vanishing.

NXT #25 Tucker Knight
    56 points

The Stats

NXT: 7-2-0
    NXT Main Events: 1
    2016: DNP

Year in Review

So picking up from yesterday Heavy Machinery had just gotten through facing a whole bunch of enhancement talent. Instead of moving up the ladder of the NXT tag team division after these matches instead Heavy Machinery would go all the way to the top, having a shot at the NXT Tag Team championships held by The Authors of Pain. The match would take place on July 12 with the match going in the favour of the champions.

Just as quick as Heavy Machinery rose to the top of the NXT Tag Team division their fall was just as quick as their remaining matches for the rest of the year would once again be against enhancement talents. The duo would end the year with victories over Damien Aweel & Edwin Negron, Demitrius Bronson & Patrick Scott and Chris Payne & Sean Maluta.

The Future

Heavy machinery are a team I can really get behind. Going all the way back to my love for The Natural Disasters I have a soft spot for the bigger superstar tag teams. With all luck 2018 will see the pairing start to face off against the other teams in the division, slowly moving up the division until finally earning another shot at the titles. I donít care if they win it as yet, but a more steady climb will be a lot better than the sudden title shot coming from nowhere.

KOST Answer: This one was always going to be a hard one to get as the correct answer is in fact Peyton Royce. Both of the guesses of Almas and Strong fell two matches short with Ember Moon and Johnny Gargano splitting them and Royce.

KOST Scoreboard
    3 - Spinmaster
    1 - SirSam

KOST Question: Which female wrestler had the most matches on WWE TV in 2017?

Steel Cage Tag Team Match
    Apolo & Headshrinker Alofa vs. Chris Raaber & Demolition Davies

Name of the event: POW Live In Rostock
    Date: 15.12.2017
    Promotion: Power Of Wrestling
    Arena: OSPA Arena

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU8...BdEMC7mS5mImIA

With Bray, for me the thing that they need to do to build up his mystique is to give his 'powers' he claims to have consequences and have them mean something in the match. It is great if he can summon maggots to the ring but if the other wrestler doesn't react to it and the commentators don't act like it is crazy it makes things worse becuase not only does he lose like the other losers but he has these extra techniques and STILL loses. It's all about consistency of presentation for me, too often it feels like that with Bray the WWE wants a character with all the theatrics and presentation awesomeness of The Undertaker but none of the in-ring prowess and poer that comes with a having a supernatural character.

To answer your question though I'll go with Alexa Bliss, Charlotte would be close but she did have some time off so I'll go with Bliss who I would wager was in her fair share of multi-woman tag matches.

Bray had so much potential when he debuted and the WWE has systematically ruined his character and any chance he may have to be a star for the future. At this point I never see him moving past upper mid-card at best and maybe even jobber to the stars.

Woman with most matches.... Got to go Sasha here.

The Brain
    Poor Bray Wyatt. I really think there may be no salvaging him at this point. I've never heard of Tucker Knight either! I love the look of these matches you found for me. I still remember some of the great ones you found last year, looking forward to getting into them!

Damn, I really though Bray would be a bit higher, I knew he didn't have many matches (he went a whole month without wrestling when he was world champ, that is just weird) but only twenty five, that is shocking.

Woman with most matches, I am going with Sasha, though I think Mickie or Alexa could also take this.

F2F

SirSam: Yeah seeing Wyatt's powers in full working order. His mind control angle with Xavier Woods was interesting but went nowhere. I can remember stuff from CHIKARA that did something similar where The Osirian Portal would hypnotise their opponents. Would love to see something like that done in the WWE for just a short time.

Spinmaster: I have to agree with you. he seems to hold the place that Foley did so well.

Mizfan: I'm actually being a little more selective with the matches this year. Last year they were a bit more random but this year I am not going as wild with my choices of companies. Still going all around the world but trying to get more of the best yet being unique.

kingzak13: I don't think Bray has been much higher than this actually. Most years he is lucky to even make the countdown due to his lack of matches. His title win and the brand split helped make him reach this height.

WWE #24 Luke Gallows
    114 points

The Stats

Minor Shows: 5-2-0
    Raw: 11-21-0
    PPV: 1-1-0
    Title Matches: 7
    Raw/SD Main Events: 2
    2016: 24th (134 points)

Year in Review

So when we left off the other day in Karl Andersonís entry The Club had not long before lost the Raw Tag Team Titles and had used up their last chance of the year to become the #1 contenders for those titles. However with over six months to go in the year what were The Club to do? Well to be honest, not much at all other than call people nerds. With them no longer in the title picture there was little need for them to appear on PPV, something they didnít do for the rest of the year, even the kickoff shows didnít get graced with their in-ring action. But that wasnít important, we all got nerds!

What can I really say about the second half of the year for The Club. They appeared in 20 tag team matches after the #1 contenders match in May only winning 8 of them. These victories came against Big Cass & Enzo Amore, The Hardy Boyz, Rhyno & Heath Slater (x3), The Big Show & Enzo Amore, Matt Hardy & Jason Jordan and Apollo Crews & Titus OíNeil. Hell even Wikipedia is no help to me with information, this whole section of the year is blank in their team page and their individual pages. But then again, Nerds!!

As to why Gallows beat Anderson on this chart well that is quite simple. Where Anderson had three 1on1 matches (1 win and 2 losses) Gallows had one more, giving himself a 2-2 record. He would pick up victories against Cesaro and Enzo Amore but would lose to their tag team partners Sheamus and Big Cass. You know what didnít help him in his score, NERDS!!!

The Future

If you havenít guessed already, I hate the nerds idea of Gallows. I havenít had a character in the WWE bug me as much since the time when they were pushing the Be A Star campaign massively, with Sheamus being one of the faces of said campaign, yet he was on Smackdown playing a massive bully, but as a face. Gallows has potential but it is shit like we have been getting this last six months or more that could easily turn me away from being a fan. Hopefully this new found change in character may have him once again coming around but I really doubt it, he has always been a better heel.

NXT #24 Hideo Itami
    56 points

The Stats

NXT: 3-4-1
    Takeover: 0-2-0
    NXT Main Events: 3
    2016: 37th (30 points)

Year in Review

2017 did not start off straight away for Hideo Itami as he was still recovering from a neck injury he had received late in 2016. He would make his return on April 19, confronting the NXT Champion Bobby Roode and giving him a GTS. Itami would have his first match back on May 3 beating Kona Reeves before beating Roderick Strong the following week to become the #1 contender for the title. At Takeover: Chicago he would have his title shot against Roode but would not be successful in the attempt.

Itami would turn his rage for not being able to win the title onto Oney Lorcan turning their match on June 7 into a no-contest after delivering three GTS on Lorcan until Kassius Ohno came out to make the save. The two would face off again three weeks later with Orcan winning by ref stoppage before the match restarted with Itami winning by pinfall.

The following week Itami would lose a tag team against SAnitY when he refused to tag in his partner Ohno. The two would face off on July 26 in a match which would see Itami deliver a low blow to get himself intentionally disqualified and then would continue to lay Ohno out with multiple GTSs. Now a heel Itami demanded respect from the fans.

At Takeover: Brooklyn III Itmai would face Aleister Black but would not be able to pick up the victory. Itamiís last match on NXT TV would happen on September 5 when he would face Ohno in a No-Disqualification match to end their feud, a match that once again Itami would not win.

The Future

The call up for Itami was a long time coming and to be honest the 205 Live roster is the best place for him for now. His name value helds add more credence to the division and he can spend time there having good matches with the other talent before working his way onto the main roster of Raw or Smackdown. The only drawback is Itamiís body. Over the last few years he seems to be the most injury ridden wrestler and that is not a good sign for his continuing career. Hopefully he has got the injury bug out of his system and he can have a good run on 205 Live.

KOST Answer: This was a pretty easy one to get, yes Sasha was the female with the most matches on WWE TV. As to our other guess of Alexa Bliss, well she wasnít even close with a total of 12 matches less than Banks.

KOST Scoreboard
    4 - Spinmaster
    1 - SirSam, kingzak13

KOST Question: Who had the most matches on all of WWE TV in 2017 without a loss to their name?

Six Man Triumph III Tournament Quarter Final Match
    Laboratory (Litana, NED & Professor Eisenhardt) vs. Katrin, LaPatka & Serge Sullivan

Name of the event: NSW @ Epic Con - Day 1
    Date: 20.05.2017
    Promotion: Northern Storm Wrestling
    Arena: Peterburgskiy Hall

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/NSWrestlingSPB

Yeah, I've never seen the upside for Gallows, when he came in two years ago I didn't see it and I certainly don't see it now. The Club had a brief spurt of life with their 'beat up John Cena' moment but apart from that they have done very little that has resonated with me. Even when they had the titles they just seemed far to much like Create-a-Wrester heels 'Cashing cheques and snapping necks' isn't an original catchphrase at all.

Itami though, well that is a different story, really enjoyed his heel turn and run, the matches with Ono and particularly with Black were excellent and I'm interested to see what he does on 205Live. It is good that it is a relatively small pond for him to go around in, I'm not sure how he would go on the main roster but in 205 he has a chance to shine.

To your question, maybe I can snap my streak of incorrect answers but I cannot honestly think of one wrestler who hasn't had a loss on WWE TV. The way the WWE 50/50 book I can't see anyone escaping taking a big L. Because I need to give you an answer I'm going to go with Asuka.

The Brain
    I've liked Gallows a bit more over the years but yeah, in his current role he doesn't seem that useful! Itami is a guy who was once great but I don't think he'll ever hit that level again. I loved his match with Roode but he hasn't shown me a lot apart from that in the past, well, decade. Woot for more super obscure matches!

Not a lot to say about either competitor today. Gallows was an idiot to come back and job some more but I guess money really does talk. As for Hideo he's hit and miss for me. I've seen some really good matches and some absolute borefests. I just haven't seen anything to show me that he can be a main event star. I'm sure he will be winning the Cruiserweight title soon and that is as far as I see him going in the WWE.

Now this is one that I have no clue about. Going to have to take a complete guess. I'm just going to go with the only undefeated wrestler I know and say Asuka.

F2F

SirSam: Yeah so far The Club has just been all hype with nothing to back it up. As you said though the beat up John Cena stuff was good. I think that's their strong point, being someone elses lackeys so maybe now under Balor they may just become interesting. Itami as heel was the best I have seen him in his WWE run.

Mizfan: Super obscure matches. Well how about super obscure but in your not so favourite Death Match genre?

Sppinmaster: Itami is a bit hit and miss for me too but he hits enough for me to be interested.

WWE #23 Nia Jax
    115 points

The Stats

Minor Shows: 2-0-0
    Raw: 15-15-1
    PPV: 1-3-0
    Title Matches: 3
    Raw/SD Main Events: 5
    2016: 70th (55 points)

Year in Review

2017 started for Nia Jax with her eyes on the Raw Womenís Championship. On the first Raw of the year she would face Bayley in a #1 contenderís match but after being distracted by Sasha Banks she would lose out on this chance. The following week Jax would team with Charlotte Flair to beat Bayley and Banks and would follow it up on the kickoff show for the Royal Rumble beating Banks. Jax would continue her dominance over the pair going by beating Banks again the next night and then following it with victories over Bayley and then both in tag action, again teaming with Flair.

At Fastlane Jax would once again face Banks, this time however seeing her on the losing end of the equation. Now that the floodgates had opened things would start to go slightly downhill for Jax in her feud with Banks and Bayley. The week after Fastlane Jax would lose to Bayley and despite getting the win back a week later, she would fail to beat them both the following week when once again teaming with Flair. At Wrestlemania the four women would fight in a 4-way Elimination Match match for the Raw Womenís Championship but it would be defending champion Bayley who would win the match. Jax would be the first person eliminated in that match.

With Jax remaining on Raw after the brand shake up her sights were able to remain on the Raw Womenís Title. On April 17 she would compete in a #1 Contenderís Fatal-4-Way match but the match would go in the favour of Alexa Bliss. Bliss would go onto win the title and over the next few months Jax would be her on and off again muscle. One of the original conditions of this muscle help was that Bliss would give Jax a title shot. Even though Bliss tried to back out she would be forced to honour the deal and give Jax the match. The match on June 6 would go in Blissís favour but only because of Jax getting disqualified.

Due to Bliss feuding with Sasha Banks and Bayley, Jaxís feuds from the beginning of the year would be reignited. Even with the months between the feuds the results from the end would not change. After going to a no-contest with Banks on June 19 the next week Jax would compete in a Gauntlet Match to name the new #1 contender for the title. After going through Bayley, Dana Brooke and Emma it would be Banks who would stop her from going all the way in the match. The following two weeks would see Banks and Bayley beat Jax and Bliss. Another loss to Bayley by countout would follow a few weeks later and then a loss to Banks in another #1 contenders match would continue Jaxís bad run against the duo.

Banks would win the title from Bliss but would lose it back to her on August 28. It was on this night that Jax would step out from under Blissís minor control and stake her claim once again as the most dominant female in WWE by taking out Bliss. Jax would team with Emma to earn themselves a spot in the Womenís Title match at No Mercy by beating Bliss and Banks who were already in the match. A fortnight later Jax would once again prove her dominance beating Bliss in a non-title match but at No Mercy would not be able to be victorious in the Fatal-5-Way (Bayley had also been added to the match).

After No Mercy Jax would only appear in 5 more matches, winning only 2, a singles match against Bayley and as part of Team Raw at Survivor Series (even though her herself had been eliminated). In December despite not wrestling she would still be involved in storylines beginning a relationship with Cruiserweight Champion Enzo Amore.

The Future

While I am not a big fan of Jax I understand why she is around. I feel though that they are not using her how they should. When the brand split happened they had her pegged as the same as Braun Strowman, going through the same squash matches he was. This is where I see Jax being most effective, as Strowman is now, a complete monster. I just donít see WWE going through with it, they seem to be afraid of pasting women as complete beasts, well ever since Nicole Bass that is. Wait she was a beast, not actually a woman. Howabout I rephrase that to ever since Chyna.

NXT #23 Shinsuke Nakamura
    58 points

The Stats

NXT: 2-0-0
    Takeover: 0-2-0
    Title Matches: 3
    Takeover Main Events: 2
    2016: 2nd (158 points)

Year in Review

In five years of doing this series I have never seen someone make one of the lists with so little matches (in fact if this was the WWE list I would be extremely worried, it is rigged to avoid that. How about I say in the three years of doing the NXT list). Then again itís not like anyone had had only four matches like Shinsuke Nakamura did in 2017, major matches every single one of them.

The first match would emanate right here from Australia which would see Nakamura successfully retain the NXT Title against the former champion Samoa Joe in a Steel Cage Match in the main event of the first NXT of the year. The second match again would be for the title, this time against Bobby Roode at Takeover: San Antonio. The result however would not be the same with Roode successfully beating him and becoming the new champion.

Nakamuraís next match would take place March 8 seeing him in the main event of that days NXT in a winning effort against TJ Perkins. At Takeover: Orlando Nakamura would get his rematch for the NXT Title against Bobby Roode but once again could not overcome the Glorious One.

After making his debut on Smackdown the week after Wrestlemania Nakamura would return to NXT on April 12 in front of the Full Sail crowd (who he didnít wrestle in front of in 2017) to say his farewells.

The Future

I donít think I am stating the obvious when I say I believe Nakamura has been mishandled on the main roster, everybody else is saying it. I am happy with a lot of it but the sudden rush to #1 contender was not needed and the losses to Jinder Mahal made him look stupid to the casual fan. My only other real problem was the dream matches against Cena and Orton were given away on normal TV but it is really the Mahal stuff that really got under my skin.

Nakamura will bounce back though. As soon as they let him run with the ball he will be able to prove why he is classed as one of the top talents in the world.

KOST Answer: I think this was always going to be the easy one. Of course it was Asuka who hasnít lost a match. She does however have a draw to her name but that doesnít stop her from being the correct answer.

KOST Scoreboard
    5 - Spinmaster
    2 - SirSam
    1 - kingzak13

KOST Question: 7 wrestlers went undefeated on Raw in 2017. How many can you name?

TCW Rebel Title Death Match
    Darkness II (w/Frank Bonsai) (c) vs. Scandalo! (w/Jacopo Galvani)

Name of the event: TCW C'era Una Volta il Wrestling (Once Upon A Time There Was Wrestling) 2017
    Date: 08.10.2017
    Promotion: Total Combat Wrestling
    Arena: Elyon Club

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...MH2fyErCCMRgkA

With Nia the WWE want her to be talked up like she is a monster but don't want to deal with the fact a monster has to beat everyone else up. The problem with being a monster too is losing really does effect you a ton, someone like Banks or Bayley can lose a whole lot and it doesn't matter all that much but eveyr time Nia loses it chinks away at that monster aura she is meant to have.

To your answer I don't watch Raw week in week out so I'm probably a long long way off but I'm going to go with: Asauka (obviously), Scott Dawson, Dash Wilder (to my knowledge they never actually lost a match because they were not on enough shows to lose), Paige (she debuted before the new year right), John Cena (PPV don't count right), Kane (that is stretching it) and Brock Lesnar (grasping at straws now, I'm not sure if he had a match or not but he sure didn't lose if he did).

Could Nakamura be on both lists? Only time will tell. It will be hard though seeing as he's been handled like a grenade that no one wants a part of. It sucks because I am still confident that he can be a real star in the WWE. Here's hoping for Styles vs Nakamura at Wrestlemania.

Asuka, Roman, Dawson, Wilder, Paige, Mandy Rose, Sonya Deville