Thread: Omega/Okada Trilogy

Omega/Okada Trilogy

Was there a more important series of matches for NJPW in terms of their international expansion? The first one was the first NJPW match I had ever seen and is pretty much the reason I've now subscribed to NJPW World in anticipation for Wrestle Kingdom 12 and I'd wager quite a but I'm not the only one preparing to watch their first ever NJPW PPV this week.

Ive now watched the trilogy and love how the matches naturally informed the next one. Normally I'm very much a character and story guy and NJPW naturally gets a lot of plaudits for its in ring work which is certainly very different to WWE but the character and story work of these two throughout is still very clear.

I also love the way the commentators continually call back to the previous matches, it is something the WWE only do very rarely and in those cases probably over do the situation because they are so obviously trying to sell that one bit. What the commentators do though really adds to the 'sports' vibe that NJPW are trying to create.

Anyway that is probably enough from a guy who has watched like 10 NJPW matches in his life, what are your reflections on this fantastic trilogy of matches and when will there be a 4th?

The Brain
    I would rate the Okada/Tanahashi matches as MUCH more important to putting New Japan back on the map internationally. NOBODY was talking about the company anymore before that, but over the course of that feud tons of people got more interested. Omega/Okada created further buzz but I don't think it compares when you look at the big picture. It's definitely their current big money re-match though, it'll be interesting to see when they run it again down the line!

You mean now I he to go watch another series of matches. These things take time. Lol

I have seen video of the rise of Okada and those matches do look really interesting in how they develop over time. I guess I've got NJPW World for at least a month so I may as well make use of it.

WhT did you think of the whole six stars craziness?

It all starts and ends with Okada. The guy is the best in the world and will be the best of all time once he hangs them up. Okada does more internationally for NJPW than any other wrestler on the planet does for their company. And yes that includes Cena. It's gotten to the point where WWE is really not going to get any bigger unless they have a boom and it's not going to be courtesy of Cena. He's done as much as he possible can. It's now Okada's turn to be the guy in all of wrestling and I think he's starting to get the recognition from people who never really watched NJPW.

Miz is right about Okada/Tanahashi. It's what really helped elevate Okada to being on the map when people hadn't really seen him and then Okada/Omega continued on with helping it branch out more internationally. Omega being non Japanese is the key. I don't know how you could split the rivalries in how important they were to the company internationally except for the fact Omega isn't Japanese so in that aspect it would reach a more international fan base.

Both matches deserved the 6 star rating. They are the two best wrestling matches ever wrestled. And without a doubt it's the best trilogy put together. I personally don't think we'll see another match between them though.

I'll add my name to the Okada/Tanahashi series being so key to NJPW expanding worldwide. Okada's rise will always be inextricably linked to the expansion.

There were a couple of really good videos on the Okada/Tanahashi feud, I think Macho Mourn posted them in the NJPW thread. Worth a watch for a snapshot.

Squared
    They are in the puro introduction thread.

The Brain
    Honestly I think the whole "six star" thing is pretty silly. I've heard all the arguments for and against it, and at the end of the day Meltzer can do whatever he likes with his own subjective ratings, but to me you can't give something at 12 out of 10. I think it's also sparked a really annoying habit for certain commentators to mention it constantly, especially the New Japan English team. If you want to present New Japan as closer to actual sport, that's the worst possible thing to do.

But at the end of the day it doesn't bother me that much. I've seen the entire trilogy and while I thought all were good, none would even be 5 star in my book. Too much filler, too much stretching out for no good reason, too much no selling and big moves which seem to have no effect. BUT I get why they are the holy grail to some. Obviously I reject them as "the greatest matches ever" from an objective perspective because that doesn't exist, but do some people see them that way? Sure! I'll be curious to see what people say about them in 5/10 years though.

Squared
    I'm with you on the six star thing. It's like scoring 120% on something. Honestly, I think whenever I hear it that it's just kinda silly.