Thread: Cycling

Cycling

Does anyone else here follow cycling?

Before I wrote about wrasslin' I used to write about cycling. Like test cricket I love that it is such a war of attrition and that you can watch for hours without a whole lot happening then all of a sudden the whole race explodes with attacks and counter-attacks. I love the speed and risk of the descents and I love the slow grind that is a summit finish.

I've also cycled a bit myself, longest ride I've done is only 75km but for a while I went out fairly regularly and could cover short distances pretty quickly. I actually did my own hour record attempt around a local park once too, not exactly a velodrome and I was on my road bike but I Was very happy with my 29km. I have stopped a little over the last year or so as I have got more into the gym but also because attitudes towards cyclists on the road seems to be going down hill and it can be a little worrying cycling with cars around.

But yeah, let's talk cycling, either the sport or our own cycling endeavours.

Kenny Omega v Chris Jericho: Judas In My Mind

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

Love cycling. Only sport in the world outside the NFL that I'll stay up to 2am or get up that early to watch. I do at least an hour every time I'm at the gym. Usually how I start when I get there for 30 minutes and then I finish with another 30-60 minute ride.

Am intrigued to see where this Froome thing goes. If he's not at either grand tour I'm going to lose a lot of interest.

Squared
    Got to admit, I like it in the Olympics and then find it a tough watch outside of that.

I guess from the way you're talking you guys are mostly talking about road cycling, rather than track cycling?

I initially got hooked by the Olympic stuff back in 2004, I think. The track cycling where they spend two laps going as slow as possible for strategical purposes before going hell for leather for the final lap... it's just awesome. But then two years ago, I just happened across the tour de france one day and almost fell into a coma watching it. In a good way. It's soooo relaxing. This year, I accidentally booked a week off half way through at and watched it nearly every day. Some of it was quite riveting too!

Relaxing is the right word to describe the Tour, it is almost meditative, just watching them cruise along all day waiting for the key moments.

What do you guys all think of the Chris Froome situation? I can't say Sky do themselves any favours PR wise so when they inevitably fall they are always going to fall harder than any other team.

Kenny Omega v Chris Jericho: Judas In My Mind

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

I am a fan of Taylor Phinney. Building something back up for American cycling after Armstrong

Sam, you should check out Icarus on Netflix if you have it.

In regards to Froome, I think he'll be suspended. But I also think he won't be. It's going to be very hard and impossible for him to recreate the same conditions and get the same results from his drug test at the Giro. I've always wanted to believe he was clean. Always been a big fan. Do I think he or Sky didn't anything wrong? I'm not sure. I don't think HE would willingly. But I think Sky may have thought they found a loophole to push the limits and then went too far.