Thread: Scott Hall and the world title

Squared

Scott Hall and the world title

I remember a story that Scott Hall was being lined up as a world champion for the AWA before he left the territory. Not only did that not happen, but despite being a major player for both the WWE and WCW and challenging for both of their straps, he'd never hold the big one.

So I guess this thread is a) was Hall a man who should have won the World title and only failed to because of his own demons, or was he always really a second tier talent. And b) was there a right time for him to win each company's world title?

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    I think had he stayed in WWF, He would have been World champion. Now he wasn't interested in being world champion, but making money, which influenced his move to WCW, It's why he let WCW for WWF, Why he left AWA due WCW. On Bruce Prichard's podcast he said that Vince very much wanted Scott to be WWF champion, but the timing was never right at that moment. I think the best time would have been for him to win, instead of Diesel, in 1994-1995. He was his most over in the company and still physically at his peek; plus Diesel had very little experience and was at the time, the lowest drawing champion ever. I don't see anyway he wins the WCW title ever, as it seemed him and Bischoff had heat, plus Hogan got the title whenever he wanted. So since WWF missed their chance in 1994, Hall might have been given another chance, more than likely when Sid won the title, around that era.

Squared
    1995 would have been an interesting time to put the Wwf title on Scott. Pull the plug on Nash early and run Hall through the summer.

I kinda feel if he was relatively sober you could have put the WCW title on him pretty much anytime after Goldberg lost it. You just couldn't do it in practice.

The Brain
    Was actually just talking about this with Cult and Kerv. Strongly agree, would have much rather see Hall with the title through '95. Think he wouldn't have seen such a huge drop off like Nash did, but as someone mentioned he didn't want the title or the pressure that came with it. I do wonder if his personal problems weren't already rearing their head. As for WCW, I did wonder about Hall getting the title when the Sting experiment crashed and burned in '98. I'm imagining Hall with the title, standing between Hogan's nWo and Nash's. Would definitely put him with Nash in the end, as splitting them up never made a lick of sense and was (I believe) just a political move. He could drop the belt to Hogan en route to Goldberg, or he could drop it to Goldberg and they save the Hogan match for Starrcade.

Of course, this all assumes Hall is healthy/reliable enough to get the belt, and that the politics lined up correctly. I could also maybe see him getting the title in '99 but that's a surprisingly congested time, though none of those champions made much impact so it probably wouldn't have mattered if he got it somewhere in there.