Thread: Favourite Games of All Time

Favourite Games of All Time

Pretty sled explanatory what are your favourite games of all time?

For me my default is Star Wars Knights if the Old Republic, it was the game that showed me how amazing story could be in video games and also how immerse a great RPG could be. I haven't played it for a number of years now so I'm not sure how well it has ages but for the effect it had on my gaming interests in generally it has become my go to for favourite ever.

After that one I'd say the Mass Effect trilogy from the last generation of gaming really stood out as the best series I've ever played through. Like KOTOR it created such an engaging world and filled it with characters that I wanted to get to know, felt motivated to help out and a world I wanted to save. The ending of it all was controversial, I never hated it as much as some but to me it is a series that progressed and escalated so well across three games. I have replayed it through the whole way at least three times and still sometimes think about going back to it.

If I look back on my childhood though I'd say that Cricket 96, Tie Fighter and Pokemon really stand out as games a young SirSam spent a lot of time on.

Cricket 96 will always hold a special place in my heart. I used to actually turn the sound off and doing a running commentary during the matches, playing both commentators. It was even before licenced players so the teams were all imaginary people but that didnt stop me giving them all back stories and personalities.

Squared
    Let's see. I am with you on Knights of the old Republic.

Then, Final Fantasy VIII.

Umm, I like a lot of racing games. Various Mario Karts, Street Racer, Super Monaco GP.

Sensible World of Soccer (European championships edition). Also various Championship/Football managers.

Sid Meier's Pirates! was a personal favourite.

Commandos on the PC. Also Imperialism.

Royal Rumble was probably my favourite wrestling game.

Love Mario and Sonic games, although haven't played the latter since Sonic and Knuckles.

I really liked the Turtles game on the NES. And the Talespin game was pretty epic, too.

Lastly, I like pretty much all of Mortal Kombat and Tekken, but there's a special place in my heart for Street Fighter 2.

@lopprimetime

I remember Turtles on the NES

I think it was probably pretty terrible but my memories of playing it with my mates are really great ones.

I also had a friend who had a bunch of older brothers and sisters so he always ended up with video games that were way more violent than we should have been playing. My parents hated it but when I was 5 Mortal Kombat seemed so damn cool. The skill of it was completely lost on me but man did I love the blood and gore.

Smackdown 2, I played it almost religiously with a friend on two player season mode.

Command and Conquer

Worms 2

Doom

Duke Nukem

GTA: Vice City

Tomb Raider

Battlefield 2 (I had a freakin gold knife badge!)

World of Warcraft

Resident Evil: Nemesis

Famous Games--> PC - Fallout 1 and 2. Half life. If you haven't play the first 2 Fallouts please do it, now.

Lesser known games --> PC - Commandos behind Enemy Lines - one of the best strategy games ever made IMO.
    PS1 --> Brigandi Legend of Forsena. One of the hidden gems in the same level as those 3 Kingdom games but more interesting and very strategic.
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

Love that you mentioned Vice City Dude, it is still my favourite GTA, while the controls and graphics really pale in comparison to the new ones I still think they haven't ever created a better setting or story than Vice City. The most recent one comes close but I just love how drenched in the 80s the whole thing is. Tommy Vercetti is such a fun character too, equal parts badass and smart mouth.

Jacob I've never played the original Fallouts, how long will they take me if I get started?

Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64.

Final Fantasy obviously, but Duke Nukem was awesome too.

My era is NES, so Zelda, Metroid, Mega Man, Castlevania and Mario 3.

NES Zelda was something special.

Fallout original can be completed in 1 hour if you know exactly where to do, what character to build. An average run through probably a few days if you keep at it, not a very big map. But to be honest it’s the story and the little things and all the side quests. Unlike fallout 4 where it is marked out for you, a lot of things in the originals are grey and hidden. For example, in the main quest you have to find a water chip, and there is a place which have merchants selling water. You can reveal the location of your vault to these merchants to transport water which will extend your quest deadline by 100 days. However, by revealing the location of your vault, you also expose your vault to dangerous outsiders who might want to hurt them. It is a game full of action and consequences. Fallout 2 tops it with even more content and I will always advise you to save a damn lot cos you die die die. If u go up to a town and the guard ask u to keep your weapon, and you don’t, in usual games nothing will happen. But in fallout he opens fire and the entire town hunts u down.

Fallout 3 and 4, good as they were and even better in some sense, lost out severely to the immersion of the first 2 fallouts. Highly recommended.
    And Jacob wrestled with God.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Love that you mentioned Vice City Dude, it is still my favourite GTA, while the controls and graphics really pale in comparison to the new ones I still think they haven't ever created a better setting or story than Vice City. The most recent one comes close but I just love how drenched in the 80s the whole thing is. Tommy Vercetti is such a fun character too, equal parts badass and smart mouth.

Jacob I've never played the original Fallouts, how long will they take me if I get started?
    I heard a rumor they might revisit it, but then I heard it was untrue. Who knows. I stopped playing by the time the PS3 version came out (Can't remember what number it was there are so many now). I didn't really enjoy it very much and only did a handful of missions., I way preferred Red Dead Redemption which I completed. Someone might be lending me a Xbox 360 so I might give that GTA another go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I way preferred Red Dead Redemption which I completed.
    Yeah Red Dead is far superior to GTA particularly in story, setting and tone. There is probably more to do in GTA but Red Dead just nails it's setting so well and really commits to the perfect outlaw story (and ending).

TimeSplitters 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Command & Conquer: Red Alert
    SoulCalibur II
    Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

Ah man how could I forget Timesplitters 2? That game has so many different challenges that took up time and was so damn fun...

Metal Gear 2 for me. I liked Snake Eater but Metal Gear 2 really pushed the boundaries of what a game could be. It was like playing in a movie.

Also Hitman 2 is fun as well with the ragdoll effect on the people you kill/drag around.

What do people think of the Tekken series? I played Tekken 4 every day in high school trying to master Yoshimisu's 10 hit combos.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Ah man how could I forget Timesplitters 2? That game has so many different challenges that took up time and was so damn fun...

Metal Gear 2 for me. I liked Snake Eater but Metal Gear 2 really pushed the boundaries of what a game could be. It was like playing in a movie.

Also Hitman 2 is fun as well with the ragdoll effect on the people you kill/drag around.

What do people think of the Tekken series? I played Tekken 4 every day in high school trying to master Yoshimisu's 10 hit combos.
    TimeSplitters 2 is phenomenal for the mapmaker alone. My friends and I spent countless hours making deathmatch arenas. Imagine if we had online play!

Snake Eater is my preference due to the landscape and ingenuity of the boss battles, but MGS 2 is undoubtedly a classic.

There has probably been superior Hitman games to Silent Assassin - I haven't played any beyond Contracts - but the former holds some nostalgic appeal.

Oh yeah, used to play A LOT of Tekken - Hwoarang was my fighter of choice.

I think my answer to this question changes depending on the day. At the very least, these are the ones that have left a lasting impression on me as far as remembering them fondly as well as shaping my gaming preferences:

- Half-Life: The original Half-Life just blew me away when I played it back in early '99, and there hasn't been a single game since then that has made me ever feel the way I did when I went through it. Half-Life 2 is awesome in its own right, but nothing close to the first game.
    - Final Fantasy series: Particularly Final Fantasy IV (FF2 in the U.S., which was the first Final Fantasy I fully played), Final Fantasy VI (FF3 in the U.S.), and all three PS1 Final Fantasy games.
    - Fallout: New Vegas: The first Fallout I played was Fallout 3, which impressed me, but New Vegas took it to a whole different level.

I have lots of love for many Nintendo franchise games like the original Zelda, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Kart and Metroid. I've also had a few games that I've kinda obsessed over while playing them, like Quake 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Red Dead Redemption, Portal 2 and others.

Damn, I completely forgot to mention Portal, thanks for bringing it up Genny.

It is not my favourite game of all time but I'll be damned if it isn't the most perfect video gaming experience I've ever had. My wife NEVER plays games and she loved Portal.

Personal Favourites:

Golden Sun I and II (GBA)
    Metroid Prime I and III (II is also very good, but not on the same level) (GC/Wii)
    Tales of Symphonia (GC)
    Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
    Mass Effect Trilogy (360)
    GTA V (360)
    Portal (PC)
    Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC)
    Batman Arkham Series (360/XBONE)

All I can think of right now. I suspect once I get round to Breath of the Wild that will usurp Golden Sun, but haven't got a Switch yet.

I would strongly recommend Golden Sun to anybody, personally it is the only game/franchise I would buy a console for specifically.