Thread: Favorite Movie/Movies of 2017

Favorite Movie/Movies of 2017

Since the year 2017 is drawing to a close and no one has started a Favorite Movie/Movies of the Year thread. I decided to do so.

So it's really simple. You just have to list 1, 5, 10 or as many movies that you have seen and liked over the past 12 months.

My top 5 for this year

1. Logan
    2. Annabelle Creation
    3. IT
    4. Thor: Ragnarok
    5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
    Last edited by PennyWise; 12-23-2017 at 12:48 AM.

No surprise as to what my favourite type of genre of films are but:

1: IT
    2: Get Out
    3: Dunkirk

Samuel Plan
    Not sure what order to put them in but I'd have to go...

Moonlight; Death of Stalin; Dunkirk; The Last Jedi; Detroit; T2: Judgement Day (3D); Logan; John Wick: Chapter 2; Wonder Woman; and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Those are the ones I really enjoyed and admired the most in the cinema.

Did Moonlight only come out this year over there? Came out last year here. I think Spider-Man and Logan would round out my top 5.

Samuel Plan
    Yeah, in the UK it was a February film!

Funny thing with Logan was I didn't love it at the time of its release; I really liked it, but I didn't love it. When I saw it again in Blu-ray though, it really blew me away.

The Brain
    Here's my top 10 of the year so far:

10. The Founder
    9. Happy Death Day
    8. It
    7. John Wick: Chapter Two
    6. Your Name
    5. LEGO Batman
    4. Spider-man: Homecoming
    3. Wonder Woman
    2. Get Out
    1. Baby Driver

Lots of really good stuff this year.

I just caught Icarus on Netflix. Know everyone doesn't like sports docoumentaries or documentaries alone for that matter, but it's made my top 5. A really great watch.

There are a few that I have missed but from what I have seen it is Logan by some distance.

Much has been said about it, all the usual cliches the one the rings very true to me is: 'not just a great superhero movie, it's a great movie that just happens to be about a superhero'. To me, along with Deadpool it showed the evolution of the superhero genre, it actively looks to undermine the idea of these elevated-human or even God like superheroes. They get old, they make mistakes, they even die. Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman gave some of the best performances of their career, at least the best performances in a Marvel superhero movie, Stewart in particular actually made me reconsider how I'd been treating my Grandmas, what greater impact can art have then to effect someone in real life. While I appreciate the elevated level of violence I don't think it was necessary however I'm happy they went with it because it meant they could tell a truly adult story instead of having to shoe horn in comedy.

Other movies enjoyed: The Last Jedi, Passangers (flawed but still cool), Thor Ragnarok & Dunkirk.

Squared
    Think all mine have been posted in here already but I'll throw a nod out to Logan Lucky (two movies with Logan in the title this year, whodathunkit) and the Limehouse Golem as a couple I really enjoyed which seemed to go under the radar a bit.

I'm pretty happy to see Logan getting recognition. Sadly it will almost certainly get no shot at any kind of Oscar but most of the movie critics I appreciate have had it somewhere in their top lists.

Samuel Plan
    A bit off topic but I saw Sam mention Deadpool.

Deadpool was trash.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Plan View Post
    A bit off topic but I saw Sam mention Deadpool.

Deadpool was trash.
    For such a great writer, this is a terrible troll-ish post. Care to explain why you think so?

Samuel Plan
    Hah. That's fair enough! It evokes that kind of anger from me though!

I found it awfully over-hyped for what was essentially 90 minutes of a breaking the fourth wall gimmick. Once that got a chuckle from me a couple of times I got bored quite quick. The story was wafer thin and the action was totally void of tension. I did find it to be just a gimmick around which they'd built the absolute minimal amount they needed to call it a film.

I thought it was straight to DVD quality. The fact it got so lauded really gets under my skin!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    For such a great writer, this is a terrible troll-ish post. Care to explain why you think so?
    For such an intelligent poster I can't believe you called 'Plan a great writer.

Happy to see Thor, Spider-Man and Logan Lucky getting mentioned. Don't think any of them will trouble the Oscars but they were all fun.

IT was great and would probably top my list. I'd probably put Thor: Raganok second.

I'll mention Jumanji, as I enjoyed it most of any films I've seen this year.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Happy to see Thor, Spider-Man and Logan Lucky getting mentioned. Don't think any of them will trouble the Oscars but they were all fun.
    Just to undermine the other thread, here's something we agree on!

The fact it got so lauded really gets under my skin!

Remember that quote next time people get annoyed with you praising the Star Wars prequels, and you might be able to empathise a little more!

The Brain
    For such an intelligent poster I can't believe you called 'Plan a great writer.
    Ha!!

I actually do get why someone wouldn't like Deadpool, I had a blast with it. 4th wall breaking CAN be tiresome but it works in certain contexts, and the Deadpool character is well set up to take advantage of that.

Recently saw Shape of Water, Disaster Artist, and Last Jedi. I don't think any would make my top 10 but I did enjoy all of them, and wouldn't be surprised if others did place any of them highly.

Samuel Plan
    Well like I say, it wasn't the breaking the fourth wall thing that necessarily bothered me all that much. It was the fact that, to me, it seemed to be all the film brought to the table. Everything else around it was wafer thin, at best, and so once I was over the central gimmick there wasn't much of anything for me to enjoy.

I've heard great things about Shape of Water, so I'm massively looking forward to that. I will throw my hands up here too and say that I'm quite a fan of the Maze Runner films. They aren't the most intelligent films in the world or anything, and the world building is pretty cliche, but I've had an absolute riot watching the first two a couple of times over, so I'm looking forward to the third one at the end of the month. They're a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I'd take them over the sometimes self-important Hunger Games films. They're breezier; funner.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

The Brain
    I saw the first Maze Runner and while I enjoyed the concept, it didn't draw me in enough to see the sequel. Maybe I'll check out the rest of the trilogy after all though, at some point.

Since July 2016 I have been rating every movie I watch on IMDB and have been ranking them in different ways such as by Genre or by Year (you will find me there under zzzorf, just like anywhere else I frequent). So due to that I can safely say I have only watched 20 movies from 2017 so far and can put them in order as easy as. There are still quite a lot I wish to watch but for now here is what I have seen in order of preference to answer the question at the top of the thread. Please note I have very varying tastes to the rest of you.

1. Logan
    2. The LEGO Batman Movie
    3. Boone: The Bounty Hunter
    4. The Fate of the Furious
    5. Fifty Shades Darker
    6. The Jetsons and WWE: Robo-Wrestlemania
    7. The Mummy
    8. Vengeance: A Love Story
    9. Kong: Skull Island
    10. xXx: Return of Xander Cage
    11. Lego Scooby-Doo! Blowout Beach Bash
    12. Peppa Pig: My First Cinema Experience
    13. Before I Fall
    14. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
    15. Rings
    16. Drone
    17. Aftermath
    18. Once Upon A Time in Venice
    19. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    20. Barbie Video Game Hero

Squared
    Guess you watch a lot of movies with the kids eh?

Not a lot of crossover with my list there, but mine isn't a lot longer. Don't have an exact figure but it'll only be twenty something that I have seen too.

12.Peppa Pig: My First Cinema Experience
    That was genuinely the worst film/thing I've ever seen. Utter torture.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Guess you watch a lot of movies with the kids eh?
    Yeah I do watch a bit with the kids, half the time I probably enjoy the movies more than they do though.

That was genuinely the worst film/thing I've ever seen. Utter torture.
    It wasn't that bad. Once I accepted what it was I just ran with it. I guess though if I had paid to go see it in cinema instead of just borrowing the DVD from my local library things might have been a little different.

I'd forgotten all about Logan, but I did absolutely love it. I need to get it on DVD.

I think, other than Logan, the only other 2017 release I saw was Jumanji the other day. And I thought it was excellently stupid. The whole idea of it being a video game makes anything stupid within it (like the ending set piece) make sense because anything is possible in a video game.

Tell a lie, I also saw Beauty and the Beast (which I enjoyed) and The Red Turtle (which was excellent and should have dominated the Animated Academy Awards over the sub-standard Zootopia).

Well I have not seen The Red Turtle, but I still can't believe Moana didn't win the Academy Award for best animated film. Was easily the best animated film I've seen in a long time.

Samuel Plan
    Moana was immense!

I need to see Red Turtle. I've heard so much positivity about it now that I can't not.

The Brain
    5. Fifty Shades Darker
    Ok, the rest I get but I'm really struggling to wrap my mind around this one.

Red Turtle was pretty beautiful visually. Not sure I'd rank it a TOP top movie, but I recommend seeking it out.

It isn’t as bad as you expect, it was at least better than the first. It will never be classed as a classic but I enjoyed it.

Moana was immense!

I need to see Red Turtle. I've heard so much positivity about it now that I can't not.
    Part of me thinks you'll love it unconditionally, 'Plan. Just a hunch.

My kids got Moana on DVD just before Christmas and it's hardly been off since. I do love it a hell of a lot. That's a strong crop of animated movies from the 2016 Academy Awards, I've got to say.