Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 202

Thread: Royal Rumble 2014 - General Discussion

  1. #1
    Is Your Superior PEN15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351

    Royal Rumble 2014 - General Discussion


    I'm very disappointed that absolutely nothing hyped the Rumble last night at Raw. I know WWE often waits until the last minute, but the Rumble is a pretty strong exception. Not even a mention of the #1 contendership at Wrestlemania. Maybe the event sells itself, but there's still absolutely no reason to to give a bit of exposure to the second biggest PPV of the year.

    Who will Orton defend against? And who will be the last man standing in the 30 man over the top battle royal?

  2. #2
    Joe Kerr Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,379
    It seems logical that Cena will get his rematch at the Rumble based upon the Promo he cut after cutting off Orton's long and boring rant, and then end of RAW.

    Also I disagree with you. I think last night's RAW did set up the future. It seems clear to me, at least, that Bryan will win the Rumble and end up facing Orton at WM and finally win the WWE title. AND it also set up a Punk/HHH match at Mania involving HBK.

  3. #3
    Mokar
    Guest
    They did show an awesome rumble commercial with the superstars last night. I cracked up at Cody's line " I used to have a mustache"

  4. #4
    Is Your Superior PEN15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokar View Post
    They did show an awesome rumble commercial with the superstars last night. I cracked up at Cody's line " I used to have a mustache"
    That must have been cut out from my stream. Shame.

    dpowder, I didn't say they weren't building to the future. They merely didn't advertise the Rumble.

  5. #5
    Joe Kerr Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,379
    Point taken.

    However, I think that is because they were focusing on the Tribute to the Troop special. But once that is over, we will get non-stop Rumble promos....

  6. #6
    Follows buzzards Smart_Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Gotham, MS
    Posts
    2,705
    I swear, if all these people who see Bryan/Orton @ 'Mania end up being right, then I'ma have to re-evaluate how much I think I know about professional wrestling.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

  7. #7
    Fuck you Seth Rollins
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    5,501
    You don't know anything about anything. Including how to evaluate what you don't know that you don't know.

    With the titles being unified, I wouldn't be averse to WWE expanding the Rumble match again. With only one title now, make it much more wanted (in kayfabe). That way you can add as many people who want the title as possible, as well as a few goodwill guys from the past, a la Jake Roberts and such.

  8. #8
    Joe Kerr Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,379
    Are you asking for a 40 man Rumble again? Please no. I hated that Rumble. It took too long, with too many unrealistic entrants.

  9. #9
    Follows buzzards Smart_Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Gotham, MS
    Posts
    2,705
    Agreed. "Adding as many people as possible" should never be a reason for anything. That's what happened to 'Mania 20.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

  10. #10
    I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Posts
    2,282
    I think another reason dpowder didn’t like that 40 man Rumble is because Alberto Del Rio won it and we all know how he feels about that guy.

    If Bryan is going to win the Rumble what do you think the chances are that he goes bell to bell? Or at least close to it in order to further cement his position going into WrestleMania.

  11. #11
    Joe Kerr Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,379
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox1981 View Post
    [B]I think another reason dpowder didn’t like that 40 man Rumble is because Alberto Del Rio won it and we all know how he feels about that guy.[/B]

    If Bryan is going to win the Rumble what do you think the chances are that he goes bell to bell? Or at least close to it in order to further cement his position going into WrestleMania.
    What? I love Alberto Del Rio. He is the reason that I am still invested in the WWE. I wanted ADR to win the Undisputed title and go on to a 435 day reign while simultaneously winning the IC, US and Tag Straps all by himself.

  12. #12
    Follows buzzards Smart_Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Gotham, MS
    Posts
    2,705
    So you'd love Del Rio if he was Ultimo Dragon?
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

  13. #13
    Joe Kerr Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,379
    Ultimo Dragon had charisma.

    And was innovative.

    And was fun to watch.

    And wasn't pushed simply because he was Hispanic/Mexican.

  14. #14
    I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by dpowder View Post
    What? I love Alberto Del Rio. He is the reason that I am still invested in the WWE. I wanted ADR to win the Undisputed title and go on to a 435 day reign while simultaneously winning the IC, US and Tag Straps all by himself.
    Sounds good to me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,457
    Alberto Del Rio: "I'm the tag team champions!!"

    Bryan and Kane: "Yes, we know!!"

  16. #16
    Is Your Superior PEN15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox1981 View Post
    I think another reason dpowder didn’t like that 40 man Rumble is because Alberto Del Rio won it and we all know how he feels about that guy.
    Except he didn't bring that up. It was an unpopular Rumble, and WWE haven't repeated the 40 man format because of it. The winner being a shitbag only added to it.

    See, some people can be reasonable when they post, and not bring irrelevant opinions into things. Like, if dpowder started a thread about champion vs champion matches, he wouldn't use it as an opportunity to slam the Ultimate Warrior, or take any chance possible to shit on him. Why? Because dpowder knows it's irrelevant. Just like ADR's Rumble win had nothing to do with how shitty that match was.

  17. #17
    Joe Kerr Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,379
    Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post

    I'm very disappointed that absolutely nothing hyped the Rumble last night at Raw. I know WWE often waits until the last minute, but the Rumble is a pretty strong exception. Not even a mention of the #1 contendership at Wrestlemania. Maybe the event sells itself, but there's still absolutely no reason to to give a bit of exposure to the second biggest PPV of the year.

    Who will Orton defend against? And who will be the last man standing in the 30 man over the top battle royal?
    Just an FYI, from the main page: Here is the beginning of the hype for the Rumble.





    Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    Except he didn't bring that up. It was an unpopular Rumble, and WWE haven't repeated the 40 man format because of it. The winner being a shitbag only added to it.

    See, some people can be reasonable when they post, and not bring irrelevant opinions into things. Like, if dpowder started a thread about champion vs champion matches, he wouldn't use it as an opportunity to slam the Ultimate Warrior, or take any chance possible to shit on him. Why? Because dpowder knows it's irrelevant. Just like ADR's Rumble win had nothing to do with how shitty that match was.
    And holy Sh!T. PEN15 just actually defended me (albeit with a slight jab in there). I think all the cold air of Canada has finally frozen his brain.

  18. #18
    Is Your Superior PEN15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    I don't jab at you at all...

    I defend logic. And I have posters I dislike. Some I dislike more than others. Lunchbox is very low on my rating scale. I'm not saying he should care, start a war, or change his style. I just don't like it, and I have no problem pointing out when he's being ... whatever word isn't considered a flame that means a bad poster. I in fact enjoy any opportunity I can get to shut him down a bit.

  19. #19
    Joe Kerr Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,379
    Then I misinterpreted the "starting the thread' comment. You meant it as a jab towards Box, and the Ultimate Warrior....

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,195
    With this whole Punk/Shield thing going on and Reigns getting the best of Punk every time except when Reigns nailed Ambrose to end the match at TLC, does anyone see one of the undercard matches being Punk vs Reigns?

  21. #21
    Is Your Superior PEN15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,351
    I guess it's possible.

  22. #22
    Is there anyone who believes its possible that the WWE would actually sign AJ Styles and debut him in the Rumble match? I personally don't believe so, but there is apparently a tiny bit of buzz going around.


  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,457
    I would like the idea, but there are a lot of WWE fans who wouldn't know who AJ Styles is. I would have to imagine he would come out to a very mixed reaction.

    So in answer to your question Cult, if WWE were to sign AJ Styles then they would need a few good promos before putting him into the Royal Rumble. I don't see it happening.

  24. #24
    Joe Kerr Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,379
    The WWE has reservations about giving the WWE Title to Daniel Bryan, the most over man on the roster, due to his size. Then there is no way that VKM or HHH will sign a 36 year old TNA lifer who is basically the same size as Bryan, with less ability on the mic.

    The only way I believe that AJ Styles would agree to come to the WWE is if a WWE Championship is written into his contract, and I do not think that Vince would ever give the Title to a TNA lifer.

  25. #25
    Crodus Blay
    Guest
    Does anyone see anyone else but Punk, Bryan or maybe Cena actually winning the Rumble Match?

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,195
    The only other possibilities are Lesnar and Orton.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,680
    In all fairness, the Rumble is 6 weeks away. I feel like they often don't start in on the heavy Rumble stuff until after Christimas, especially considering how WWE has treated their first show of the year as a semi-big deal with a title match in recent years (Miz/Morrison Falls Count Anywhere '11, Ziggler/Punk '12, Punk/Ryback TLC '13).

    I'd bet Punk has this thing in the bag. I know many are predicting Punk/HHH for 'Mania, but I don't buy that. Bryan's beef with Triple H is much hotter than Punk's, and Punk is also supposedly up on his contract soon so I wouldn't be surprised to see WWE treat him extra nice in attempt to get him to stay, because let's be honest WWE's main event scene is still pretty thin. I see Bryan getting screwed out of his Rumble win by Trips, leaving Punk open to take the prize home by once again overcoming a malfunctioning Shield presence after that trio dominates much of the Rumble before the end.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,457
    I'm thinking we might get a Lesnar return at the Rumble. I don't know why, just a hunch.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,680
    Could be interesting, the question would be what would he do... I can't imagine him winning the thing, so possibly to screw over Punk? That would certainly throw a twist in. Another possibility is he could appear after Punk wins the Rumble to lay him out, inserting himself into the title picture anyway. I could definitely see a Punk/Orton/Lesnar triple threat at 'Mania, it would play off a lot of storylines nicely.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,457
    Even then, I wouldn't mind seeing Lesnar in the Rumble itself. Maybe making a moment or two by clearing the ring of a whole bunch of superstars then sitting down cross-legged in the ring to wait for the next superstar. Then Punk's music hits.

  31. #31
    Follows buzzards Smart_Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Gotham, MS
    Posts
    2,705
    I predict RR to win the RR....
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,457
    I would like that to happen, but I think the IWC would have a severe case of PMS at that injustice.

  33. #33
    I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Posts
    2,282
    It would be great if the ghost of Rick Rude or Ricardo Rodriguez won the Rumble. That is who you are talking about right?

    In case you mean Roman Reigns I think he’ll have a big showing and pile up a lot of eliminations but I can’t see him winning. He could secure a place in the final four though. It seems they have big plans for him next year and an impressive showing at the Rumble will likely kick start it all.

    Safe money is on Bryan, Punk or Cena.
    Last edited by lunchbox1981; 12-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.

  34. #34
    The Hurra Duff
    Guest
    For what it's worth (not very much), I see the Final Four in the Rumble being Punk, Bryan, Reigns and Wyatt.

  35. #35
    They have got to slow down on Roman Reigns. I get that he's got the right look, pedigree and all that, but the WWE is seemingly going overboard on a guy who I honestly can't say is even the second best guy on The Shield. Ambrose to me is still better than him overall (and isn't small by any means), and I could make the case that Rollins is as well even if he lacks the size Reigns has. I need to see more of him before the WWE goes mega push on him, and I think they stand a good chance of overpushing him and leaving him in the same place Ryback is in right now.


  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,680
    Reigns may very well have the most potential of the group, but I agree totally with Cult on the dangers of overpushing. He's proved himself a great asset in multi man matches, but he's yet to have a very memorable promo or match, except arguably with Daniel Bryan who, let's be fair, has a memorable match with everyone. I like Reigns a lot, he could possibly be at some point everything WWE reportedly wants him to be, but to thrust him into the role unprepared is a recipe for failure, as we've seen time and time again.

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    3,457
    At the moment Roman Reigns has potential.

    But you can't buy the groceries on potential (a line used by Jim Ross on many a telecast).

    I haven't seen Roman Reigns pull out a memorable singles performance apart from the coup he pulled at this year's Survivor Series so I think maybe an extended run with the Intercontinental Title or United States Title might be what the doctor orders for the time being. I don't want him to be pushed to the top just to be used as cannon fodder for whoever resides at the top.

  38. #38
    Follows buzzards Smart_Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Gotham, MS
    Posts
    2,705
    If it happens, it looks like it's gonna be the Batista push. The looks he's been giving Ambrose are the same looks Dave was giving Triple H.

    Too soon? Possibly. Are there more pressing main event storylines for 'Mania? Definitely. Regardless, if WWE feels like they know who their next guy is, you can't blame them for placing him in a top spot of the most watched event of the year.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,680
    It's physically impossible for Ambrose to give Reigns the kind of rub that Trips gave Batista, he just doesn't have the standing. The best it can do is launch him to the upper midcard, but he'll have to work the rest of the way up on his own.

    Besides, I have serious doubts that we'll ever see anything as surreal as the Batista phenomenon happen again. He was hardly anybody, a glorified midcard flunky mostly ignored by the crowd, then one look at the title belt and people started to lose their minds. Within the span of about 6 weeks he was Rumble winner material. Insane.

  40. #40
    Fuck you Seth Rollins
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    5,501
    Can I book Orton to retain the title, then win the Rumble?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •