Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finn Balor

Super Moderator
    I actually believe Nak is probably very happy. By all indications WWE, and "Sports Entertainment", was his dream, for all its craziness and politics. He knew what he was walking in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I actually believe Nak is probably very happy. By all indications WWE, and "Sports Entertainment", was his dream, for all its craziness and politics. He knew what he was walking in to.
    He came to WWE because he thought this would make him a world-wide star - something which he (correctly) believed he could not achieve in NJPW alone. Apart from rumors/reports that he isn't happy, can you honestly say he is any closer to realizing that dream? Pure hearsay - again - but he wasn't too happy about being kept in NXT for that long either. Nothing he has done in, or been allowed to do in WWE, will be remembered as career highlights for him when he hangs up his boots, meanwhile his NJPW career is filled with epic moments. When he inevitably returns that for his final legend's send-off, it is all but guaranteed he will instantly do all sorts of great stuff again, even with his broken down body, because NJPW knows what they're doing, meanwhile WWE evidently does not. A lot of people on the Internet have criticized Nakamura for 'phoning it in', not realizing that his body is all broken down and he only goes all out when there's a big show, and since WWE has nothing better for him to do than job to guys like Jinder on SD, he rightly doesn't bother.

Did I mention that I'm still bitter about Survivor Series? I can only imagine how well NJPW would have booked that match even with the same talent, and they would have lived up to the hype going in, because they would have built a great match, storyline and drama around the people in the match that could actually go, instead of, again, the 3 50 year old guys. I'm not some NJPW mark, but the more I watch it, the more it becomes apparent to me that they never do the kind of self-inflicted nonsense that WWE does, their big shows generally deliver.

NJPW let a fan vote decide that the Wrestle Kingdom main event shouldn't be the IWGP Heavyweight Championship match between two young guys (Okada and Naito) but Nakamura vs Tanahashi for the Intercontinental Championship. Not saying they do it often, but that was certainly a self-inflicted wound and pretty much fucked over Naito's career for a bit (even though he's now ten times better than he was then).

The big thing with NJPW vs WWE (and that's perhaps not what this thread is about, but it's a point I want to just get off my chest a bit) is that they don't over expose us to guys. It's the way NXT works as well, because it's only an hour a week plus a Takeover every quarter. But by not having a regular TV show and by putting main eventers in undercard tags on tours (like the Tag League, Super J Cup, BOSJ and so on) the actual main eventers can phone it in a bit on those and it doesn't show.

Nakamura's special, but seeing him every week makes him less special.

(Balor, for the record, is not special nor has he ever been)

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    NJPW let a fan vote decide that the Wrestle Kingdom main event shouldn't be the IWGP Heavyweight Championship match between two young guys (Okada and Naito) but Nakamura vs Tanahashi for the Intercontinental Championship. Not saying they do it often, but that was certainly a self-inflicted wound and pretty much fucked over Naito's career for a bit (even though he's now ten times better than he was then).
    I don't see how that's significant or a 'wound' at all. When all the cards were played, both Naito and Okada became huge stars, and are carrying the company. And Nakamura and Tanahashi gracefully stepped out of the limelight after Okada ascended after that magical feud with Tanahashi. This is nothing, not even remotely comparable to the way WWE has squandered many of their younger talents, while fixating on past their prime 50 year olds. Booking is generally one thing NJPW does very well, and they do it well in advance, ie, they decide where they want to be a year from now and then plot a way to get there, like old school bookers used to do. Vince's WWE on the other hand books day to day, plans are constantly and manically changing.

Again, WWE is the place where the top star is a failure who no one wants to cheer despite years of protracted push (and every other credible alternative has been buried), and the other top stars on the show are 50 year old HHH, his wife Stephanie, and his 47 year-old brother-in-law Shane.

Even just comparing Okada's push to Reigns' push is a stark object lesson of what to do and what not to do. Okada probably does more as a star for NJPW even though there can be no doubt that NJPW is a faraway smaller company than WWE.

Squared
    There is a theory doing the rounds that Balor wins the Rumble and crosses to challenge AJ at Wrestlemania....

@lopprimetime

Good rumour but not sure I see it happening

Would be interesting to see if they teased involvedment from The Good Brothers in a Finn v AJ feud.

Samuel Plan
    I would totally be up for Bálor winning the Rumble and making the cross. I mean, I wouldn't be awfully excited about it or anything, but it would feel immensely refreshing to see a top contemporary star become a centerpiece like that. The Club would also make for an interesting x factor too, as SirSam says. The match at TLC was solid wrestling, and sensible and level headed, so I'd also take that over the kind of hysterical stuff we usually get in that spot at 'Mania as well.

Not my first choice, but far from the worst. Is it likely, though, if Bálor wasn't considered 'over enough' to wrestle Lesnar in a title match at the Rumble? Not sure.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Super Moderator
    I could see them doing it, even if it's just as a swerve. They still find their way to Brock vs Reigns at Mania, but Finn happens to pull out the Mania win. Roman is getting pops since the Shield reunion, I was astonished with them on Monday, I could see them giving the win at Rumble to the other title challenger just to not risk people turning on him again. You even get that moment on Raw when Finn teases challenging Brock.

Hell, at that point you could play on what people know in real life. Paul Heyman can make the challenge to Reigns, as the only two men to have beaten Undertaker at WrestleMania telling him that Brock's contract expires as of 11:59 p.m. on April 8 and that he will not be re-signing but instead will be leaving and taking the WWE title with him as he returns to UFC, unbeaten and the only true Universal Champion to reclaim the UFC Heavyweight Championship and become the undisputed Baddest Man on the Planet. Have Paul put over that Vince is then more than welcome to create an new Universal title that Roman can have as a consolation prize, but that Roman will forever know that Brock Lesnar is the true champion.

Squared
    All the talk before hand was about how Finn was struggling. Has the club reunion given him a lift, at all?

@lopprimetime

I don't think it has but I don't think it's hurt him either. He's already popular. It's weird to say he's struggling because the only area he is struggling is booking support. Gets great reactions, matches are fine but Vince doesn't want to push him seriously.

The Brain
    I thought fans had turned on him a bit. He definitely doesn't seem to have the buzz he once did, but perhaps that only within the niche within a niche uber-smarks like us.

He seems...happier? If that makes sense? Like he's now getting to work with his friends every week, relax a bit, and has some pressure off. Maybe it'll work out for him.