Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 53

Thread: Finn Balor

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,006

    Finn Balor

    Prince Devitt is now Finn Balor apparently.

  2. #2
    Reality Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6,693
    I don't hate it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Finn Balor is waaaaaay better then what they named KENTA after calling him KENTA for weeks.

  4. #4
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    Is it bad that Finn Balor may actually be better than Fergal Devitt?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    I'm a fan of the name Fergal and wish they'd let him keep it, but Finn Balor is actually pretty good.

    Both the first and last name are easily chantable. Fergal Balor would be a tough one to chant.

    Still, Fergal is such a unique, awesome name and has the added bonus of making me think of Fraggle Rock when I hear it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Potatoes O'Brien is just gold left on the table now.

  7. #7
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    I have friends with names like Fergus and Finbar (We call him Barry) and its rough on American girls.

    it could be worse, when I see the name Finn, they spell it Fionn.

    Finn Balor is based on Irish Legend. Fionn Mac Cool is one of the greatest heroes of Irish legend. King Balor of the Fomorians was a one eyed giant who led his people The Fomorians against the Irish gods The Tuatha De Danann. The Fomorians are similar to the Titans of Greek myth.

    I was afraid he would be Fergal O'Shaunessy, Sheamus' country brother.

    Edit: Book Plug. If you want to read the story of Finn Mac Cool then read Finn Mac Cool by Morgan Llywelyn http://www.amazon.com/Finn-Celtic-Wo.../dp/0312877374
    Last edited by Irishsara; 09-25-2014 at 02:51 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,006
    Supernatural beings. Often described as a giant with a eye in his forehead that wreaks destruction when opened.

    If him and Sheamus ever team up they have to be called The Dead Rabbits

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    They'll probably call him just Finn when he makes the main roster. its not terrible.

  10. #10
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    If your curious about Finn Balor/Fergal Devitt Check out the NXT Superstars in the Superstars section.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    Saw some photos of Finn Baylor's debut. Looks like he'll use paint like he was in NJPW. his NXT tron has him painted a bit. Only help him.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    And not a single person gave a damn about his name. I was a little concerned that they'd boo when it changed on the tron, but they just popped harder.

    Badass music, too.

  13. #13
    Reality Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6,693
    Yeah, huge fan of Finn Baylor as a name. I'm going to get blasphemous and say it's a better name than Prince (or Fergal) Devitt.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    465
    Whats the obsession over the name? Is it a reference to something I don't get?

    Its just a first and a last name.

  15. #15
    Reality Champ
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    6,693
    I don't know. I'm normally not one to get either excited or outraged over names. But this one really resonates with me for some reason, and I couldn't tell you exactly why.

  16. #16
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Whats the obsession over the name? Is it a reference to something I don't get?

    Its just a first and a last name.
    Firstly it IS a reference, Although not personal to Fergie himself. See earlier in thread.

    The fact is Fergal Devitt is an international talent and its exciting to hear that pop. The name could have been a lot worse (Hi Angelo Dawkins, his real name is Gary Gordon) and its solid that the name is A. Irish, B. based in myth C. he got recognized by the NXT Audience D. did not get booed.

    Edit: Awwww the main page is wrong . Balor was not the Irish Celtic god of death. Mannanan Mac Leir escorts the souls of the dead to the "heaven" and Donn is Lord of the Dead. Balor was an earlier sun god reinterpreted as the god of drought and famine or the god of Night of the Fomorians who overthrown by Lugh (the ACTUAL sun god).


    The actual translation of Balor is Bel meaning "shining one" and "or" meaning Gold. So its either Golden Shine or Bright shining . Finn means Golden Hair or bright. Just so we are clear.

    the intent is clearly a relation to Fionn mac Cumhaill and Balor the One eyed.

    Last edited by Irishsara; 09-26-2014 at 06:16 PM.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    (Hi Angelo Dawkins, his real name is Gary Gordon)
    Seriously? That's an awesome wrestling name. I mean, "Gary" isn't exactly the toughest name, but it's completely negated by the alliteration.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Kia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    250
    I would like to say the following: As someone who was so excited to see Finn in WWE, i am really underwhelmed by his entire nxt run. I can not quite put my finger on it, but something is off. He does not seem to have a gimmick because the demon is overused and when he does use it, as others have said, nothing changes. He is losing steam i think. It is quite apparent that Kevin Owens is by far the best talent of the NXT 5 with sami zayn second.

    What are other people's thoughts on finn's nxt run?

  19. #19
    Don't WHAT? Me.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Little Caesars Arena
    Posts
    4,620
    I think Finn is coasting a bit, he's bigger than NXT now and should be winning matches on RAW. You gotta take into account that Finn has fought the same guys a lot too...I think some different opponents will make him look different. I was hoping Corbin would've beaten Joe and became Finn's next challenger. I'd be worried about what changes Vince makes to Finn tho, I can't imagine Normal Finn=Beatable/Demon Finn=Unstoppable will fly on the main roster.

    My non-IWC friend thinks Finn should have a different moveset for the different personas. IDK about that, might confuse the kids.

    I enjoyed Takeover Brooklyn from start to finish....I understand the nitpicking tho. I'm just ignoring it because I loved the show....I watched it like a mark that was seeing the end of a good book, the way WrestleMania used to be.

    Now I'm ready for the new chapter. I'm ready to see all the B & C level people make us believe in them. Problem is with 2 takeovers in the next 4 months it will be interesting to see what happens. It's a logjam at the top in terms of talent...a lot of guys who could be ready to come up, but there's little time for them up there.

    Looking at the talent NXT has coming (like Kana & the rumored Athena) and the aforementioned B-C level (who NEED the storylines) people AND Itami/Zayn (one of these guys will prolly go straight to the Main Roster when healthy right?) and if Trips decides to add another known Indy guy or two....I don't know how they fit everyone in. SmackDown might become NXT 1.5 next year.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    I think Balor is fine. I also think they are kind of holding back what he can do. Triple H clearly sees a lot of money in this guy with his long entrance (that Triple H helped create), that mini documentary and just the way he's been booked. I think they are trying to save as much as they can for the main roster.

  21. #21
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia View Post
    I would like to say the following: As someone who was so excited to see Finn in WWE, i am really underwhelmed by his entire nxt run. I can not quite put my finger on it, but something is off. He does not seem to have a gimmick because the demon is overused and when he does use it, as others have said, nothing changes. He is losing steam i think. It is quite apparent that Kevin Owens is by far the best talent of the NXT 5 with sami zayn second.

    What are other people's thoughts on finn's nxt run?
    Its his fucking moveset. They took the teeth out of it, They took away his hesitation dropkick (gave it to itami) The Brainbuster, and many of his flashier stuff. They replaced it with the slingblade (lame) The reverse Bloody Sunday (which for some reason isnt a finisher) and left him primarily with strikes. He doesnt wrestle a Jr. style in the WWE (partly the WWE's fault tho) and his actual double stomp finisher is a setup. His weakness is his promos but he has improved alot (check out the documentary) and he isnt really in storylines since Itami got hurt. NXT suffers from a lack of long term booking sometimes. I am thinking of writing a column describing the lack of narative and their overreliance on flash when dealing with Balor. In japan, they allowed Finn to use his polish to carve it out naturally, Finn is so polished that I am afraid they are using it as a crutch.

    A lot of what plagued ECW/OWV/FCW plagues NXT (they cant run for more than 3 months because they dont know who is staying). Personally id love to see what Big Cass could do as a Big Daddy Cool heel with Enzo as his hype man. Id love to see The Colons in NXT for a feud with some of the tag teams. Some of the Dusty Rhodes tag teams are exciting.

  22. #22
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    Does anyone think Finn will ever get another shot? I mean he has been wrestling a full schedule for years (working a full NJPW schedule) who never had a major injury but Vince thinks smaller guys are more injury prone. Does Finn's injury damn him with the label of being too injury prone to get a World Title again?

    Is Finn Balor the Wildfire Tommy Rich of his generation?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 12-09-2017 at 02:02 PM.

  23. #23
    Goldberg Rules!
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    4,839
    Seems like he'll get the typical never-lost-the-title-so-it's-his hero's return come early Spring. Shit, the timing of his injury is what sucks for him (not meaning getting hurt the night he won, I mean the time of year). Projected back too late for meaningful Mania hype, probably (if we're led to believe the 6 month projection, that it isn't a work to grow us off). Edge sucked when he rushed back in 2010, for example.

    I could always use target practice, though, for the big game I'm hunting.

    This could be a horrible allusion, given how Finn just tore his labrum and nothing severe, but it could possibly end up being a Magnum T.A. scenario as well. Getting his big break, only to have it robbed from him. I guess he got the match and the title while Terry got nothing, but...fuck, that analogy ain't working for me. Going to bed, ugh.
    Last edited by T.O.; 08-27-2016 at 02:52 AM.

  24. #24
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    I wouldnt have stripped Finn Balor. Keep it on him for six months. It makes the return of the title bigger. Instead, I push the FUCK out of the New Day as tag champs, push Roman Reigns vs Rusev for that US title harder and I would have maybe gone and got the IC title.

    I would have put the World Crusierweight Championship on a fast track too.

    I think the second Universal champion never beating the first champion is a bad thing. I think the first night the Universal champion is on Raw is when he relinqueshes the title is a bad thing. I think it greatly damages the Universal title for it to be passed around as a stopgap for 6 months before a returning Finn Balor gets his shot and loses. I think it hurts Finn Balor, I think it hurts the Universal title and i think it hurts all titles in the WWE.


    At best do the interim gimmick.

    Here is to hoping that the raw after Mania, Finn redebuts with Gallows and Anderson at his side, wearing sunglasses, black trunks, and a leather jacket, wearing the Big Gold Belt and calling himself the Real Universal Champion.

  25. #25
    Broken Kleck Kleckamania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    DELETE!!
    Posts
    1,437
    The Universal title was damaged the second they put it on a wrestler who had only been on the main roster roughly 3 weeks, and had only wrestled about 3 total matches. That run was not going to do Finn any favors at all. His fans may state otherwise now, but they certainly weren't defending the other guys who instantaneously got the rocket strapped on way before they connected with fans on the main roster. So what's different? Finn Balor isn't that much different from Reigns in terms of his deficiencies- weak on the microphone, and very little charisma, paired with a half baked gimmick that isn't fleshed out enough to be considered anything less than a poor man's version of Boogeyman. At least Boogeyman's moves matched his gimmick. The Demon is like a Jekyll who is identically the same as Hyde, or a Hulk that is exactly the same as Bruce Banner- IE, what is the point of the transformation if it has zero affect on moveset, timing, and aggression in the ring?

    That gimmick as is, is doomed to fail. Pair that with Finn being propelled to the very top way way too soon, mixed with him being weak on the mic and being one of the smallest guys on the entire roster- and you start seeing how hypocritical fans can be. But he looks like a Calvin Kline model, so let's just give him a pass and keep this brand new World Title around his waist while he spends 6 months on the shelf, an amount of time that equates to 6 times the amount of time he was on the main roster.


    Curtis Axel would kill one of his family members to have fans like Finn Balor's.



    Finn's an outstanding in-ring talent, but man. Those rose tinted Bullet Club glasses are on sooooo tight atm.

  26. #26
    You're wrong Kleck; he isn't even an outstanding in ring talent. He's not nearly as bad as I jokingly suggested in my cameo for Skitz' column but anyone who says he hasn't been disappointing is in denial. Sami Zayn, Hideo Itami, Neville, Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe and Shinsuke Nakamura all have had top caliber matches in NXT. And yet oddly enough their least impressive big time match was against Balor; every time he wrestled them everyone would get hyped, then the match would happen and the vast majority would go "that was good, but it wasn't great" (I know I sure as hell did). Tons of people said that for the Rollins match too. Maybe he's a far better heel than babyface in the long run but right now the only thing I see from Balor is a guy with five star hype who's really a middle of the road performer who more or less reminds me of Jeff Hardy's coked out 2002 days. I'd take Reigns over him in a heart beat, and Reigns is forever toxic to me.

    Where we definitely agree is that Balor has gotten a pass because of his New Japan/indie work. I guarantee you if he was a guy plucked off the street who WWE got high on and then pushed people would be hating this. But because he wrestled in New Japan and was part of the Bullet Club he's getting the pass that Reigns never did, even though there really is no difference between them. It's borderline sickening. Owens and Zayn are both all around better performers than Balor is and yet neither of them have gotten close to sniffing the World Title. Now Balor, a lesser talent then both, comes up and he's suddenly the man? It's odd. It's very odd.


  27. #27
    Broken Kleck Kleckamania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    DELETE!!
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Now Balor, a lesser talent then both, comes up and he's suddenly the man? It's odd. It's very odd.

    It's because he's pretty. And I get it- even as a hetero male I get a quarter mast looking at Finn, but attraction doesn't necessarily equate to champion material.

    I would use Naomi's ass as a flotation device any day, and yet I'm not outraged that she isn't womens champ- she's maybe 70th percentile in ring for women, though damned if I personally dont love every minute of it. Still doesn't equate to her being the champ. If we based that on attraction than Jojo would be the 3 year defending women's champ for me. Jojo.

    We get that he is pro wrestling's David Beckham, and that he was in that rip off of NWO but fans are cool with that solely because it's NJPW group Bullet Club, but whatever he did extremely well in NJPW, he isn't doing in WWE. And it's not style difference, he just doesn't have "IT". Pair that with a poorly thought out gimmick and I fear for his fan's sanity in about 3 years. Terrible 80s hairband winger said it best, "Headed For A Heartbreak".

  28. #28
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    The Universal title was damaged the second they put it on a wrestler who had only been on the main roster roughly 3 weeks, and had only wrestled about 3 total matches. That run was not going to do Finn any favors at all. His fans may state otherwise now, but they certainly weren't defending the other guys who instantaneously got the rocket strapped on way before they connected with fans on the main roster. So what's different? Finn Balor isn't that much different from Reigns in terms of his deficiencies- weak on the microphone, and very little charisma, paired with a half baked gimmick that isn't fleshed out enough to be considered anything less than a poor man's version of Boogeyman. At least Boogeyman's moves matched his gimmick. The Demon is like a Jekyll who is identically the same as Hyde, or a Hulk that is exactly the same as Bruce Banner- IE, what is the point of the transformation if it has zero affect on moveset, timing, and aggression in the ring?

    That gimmick as is, is doomed to fail. Pair that with Finn being propelled to the very top way way too soon, mixed with him being weak on the mic and being one of the smallest guys on the entire roster- and you start seeing how hypocritical fans can be. But he looks like a Calvin Kline model, so let's just give him a pass and keep this brand new World Title around his waist while he spends 6 months on the shelf, an amount of time that equates to 6 times the amount of time he was on the main roster.
    Couple of things (YAY)

    1) The Demon is literally the same gimmick as The Great Muta without the mist. The gimmick would work (has worked?) because it has worked in the past. Keiji mutoh did all the same moves as The Great Muta, the moonsault, The front dropkick, the muta lock, the elbows were all identical, the character didnt even change until the mid 90s, long after Muta had gotten over. So, to say it cannot work is a bit silly, it has worked historically.

    2) if Finn Balor got this push with less than 5 years in the business id be pissed but it is disingenuous to compare Roman Reigns getting a world title level shove on a single branded WWE to be the top of the card wrestler after only locking up for the first time in 2010 and getting a main event push in 2014 and having a 16 year veteran who had already main evented major shows for the second largest company in the world and already main evented WWE special events including a 15,000 people WWE Network event from the Barclays Center. Finn Balor is significantly more proven of a commodity than Roman Reigns (even now).

    3) the "main roster" problem - Finn Balor has been a WWE superstar for over a year and a champion for over 100 days already. NXT is not the same as it was when Seth Rollins won the title, a huge portion of people who watch the WWE Network PPVs also watch NXT. the reaction to Bayley, Big Cass and Enzo shows that the WWE's main audience sees NXT as another brand not as FCW. The WWE arent treating NXT stars as brand new stars when the change brands, so I believe they shouldnt be considered new.

    4) Finn already got over with a long legitimate championship run as one of the top selling merch-wise on the website. A doomed to fail gimmick which has already gotten over, is one of HHH's pet projects and has Vince standing behind it (oh did I mention Finn was Irish and Vince has a huge hardon for Irish stars). There is a reason he got strapped to the rocket in the first place. He also has a solid entrance which will pop the arena. A distinctive look which grabs kids, He is so in shape that Vince pops. Oh and he has movie star good looks and an accent. Not to mention he can work, fly, and draw indy marks as well as kids. Finn already has proven he can work a schedule similar to the WWE's without major injury (unlike the TNA guys) and has built in storylines. Why do you think they pushed him so hard in the first place?

  29. #29
    Goldberg Rules!
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    4,839
    And he's Irish!

  30. #30
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    4) Finn already got over with a long legitimate championship run as one of the top selling merch-wise on the website. A doomed to fail gimmick which has already gotten over, is one of HHH's pet projects and has Vince standing behind it (oh did I mention Finn was Irish and Vince has a huge hardon for Irish stars). There is a reason he got strapped to the rocket in the first place. He also has a solid entrance which will pop the arena. A distinctive look which grabs kids, He is so in shape that Vince pops. Oh and he has movie star good looks and an accent. Not to mention he can work, fly, and draw indy marks as well as kids. Finn already has proven he can work a schedule similar to the WWE's without major injury (unlike the TNA guys) and has built in storylines. Why do you think they pushed him so hard in the first place?
    Don't worry T.O. ... I covered it

  31. #31
    Goldberg Rules!
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    West Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    4,839
    Reading comprehension while browsing LOP on my phone drops 200%.

  32. #32
    The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The AWA Territory
    Posts
    1,940
    I have no idea why, but for as long as wrestling was fixed, promoters in New York (even before Vince was even born) have wanted an Irish champion. It's interesting, the old wrestling Trust almost ended the business trying to get Danno O'Mahony over. But to me, Finn is the best Irish wrestler I've ever seen (not including the Irished named Hulk Hogan, even though Hogan's Scottish, French and Italian with an Italian last name). This might be the time when the McMahons find their Irish champion. Only thing, he needs to comeback first. But at his age, if they want to get the most out of Finn, they need to put the peddle to the medal now.

  33. #33
    Broken Kleck Kleckamania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    DELETE!!
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishsara View Post
    Couple of things (YAY)

    1) The Demon is literally the same gimmick as The Great Muta without the mist. The gimmick would work (has worked?) because it has worked in the past. Keiji mutoh did all the same moves as The Great Muta, the moonsault, The front dropkick, the muta lock, the elbows were all identical, the character didnt even change until the mid 90s, long after Muta had gotten over. So, to say it cannot work is a bit silly, it has worked historically.

    2) if Finn Balor got this push with less than 5 years in the business id be pissed but it is disingenuous to compare Roman Reigns getting a world title level shove on a single branded WWE to be the top of the card wrestler after only locking up for the first time in 2010 and getting a main event push in 2014 and having a 16 year veteran who had already main evented major shows for the second largest company in the world and already main evented WWE special events including a 15,000 people WWE Network event from the Barclays Center. Finn Balor is significantly more proven of a commodity than Roman Reigns (even now).

    3) the "main roster" problem - Finn Balor has been a WWE superstar for over a year and a champion for over 100 days already. NXT is not the same as it was when Seth Rollins won the title, a huge portion of people who watch the WWE Network PPVs also watch NXT. the reaction to Bayley, Big Cass and Enzo shows that the WWE's main audience sees NXT as another brand not as FCW. The WWE arent treating NXT stars as brand new stars when the change brands, so I believe they shouldnt be considered new.

    4) Finn already got over with a long legitimate championship run as one of the top selling merch-wise on the website. A doomed to fail gimmick which has already gotten over, is one of HHH's pet projects and has Vince standing behind it (oh did I mention Finn was Irish and Vince has a huge hardon for Irish stars). There is a reason he got strapped to the rocket in the first place. He also has a solid entrance which will pop the arena. A distinctive look which grabs kids, He is so in shape that Vince pops. Oh and he has movie star good looks and an accent. Not to mention he can work, fly, and draw indy marks as well as kids. Finn already has proven he can work a schedule similar to the WWE's without major injury (unlike the TNA guys) and has built in storylines. Why do you think they pushed him so hard in the first place?


    1) That was in Japan, not America, and even then Muta had differences in-ring (aggression as one), whereas Finn has none between himself and the Demon. The gimmick is lame if there are zero differences aside from crawling to the ring like a poor man's boogeyman.


    2) Regardless, Finn Balor has been on the main roster of WWE for about a month. Any other guy in the past got a world title push within a month and you, along with all of Finn's fans would shit all over it, and have in the past.


    3) The people who don't pay for WWE Network only watch RAW & Smackdown- there are still a lot of those people. So pushes still need to be tempered. And the bigger issue yet: all the wrestlers you mentioned (Enzo, Cass, & Bayley) were watched alongside Finn in NXT, and yet, they are getting much bigger pops than he is from that audience. So why should he get a world title shot yet? I'd rather Cass or Enzo get a world title shot, at least average fans like them.


    4) Is this section about Roman Reigns? Because it sounds exactly like Roman Reigns. Minus the Irish/accent stuff I wouldnt know the difference in the write up without the names included.



    I get a small portion of the WWE audience looooves Fin Balor, but it's just a small portion. He needs time to connect. Which is much more than a month. And if the gimmick remains untouched when he comes back, his road to connecting is going to be that much harder. Irish or not, if WWE rushes him up like Reigns, he will inevitably be treated like Reigns by the average WWE fan.

  34. #34
    Queen of Extreme Irishsara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    1) That was in Japan, not America, and even then Muta had differences in-ring (aggression as one), whereas Finn has none between himself and the Demon. The gimmick is lame if there are zero differences aside from crawling to the ring like a poor man's boogeyman.


    2) Regardless, Finn Balor has been on the main roster of WWE for about a month. Any other guy in the past got a world title push within a month and you, along with all of Finn's fans would shit all over it, and have in the past.


    3) The people who don't pay for WWE Network only watch RAW & Smackdown- there are still a lot of those people. So pushes still need to be tempered. And the bigger issue yet: all the wrestlers you mentioned (Enzo, Cass, & Bayley) were watched alongside Finn in NXT, and yet, they are getting much bigger pops than he is from that audience. So why should he get a world title shot yet? I'd rather Cass or Enzo get a world title shot, at least average fans like them.


    4) Is this section about Roman Reigns? Because it sounds exactly like Roman Reigns. Minus the Irish/accent stuff I wouldnt know the difference in the write up without the names included.



    I get a small portion of the WWE audience looooves Fin Balor, but it's just a small portion. He needs time to connect. Which is much more than a month. And if the gimmick remains untouched when he comes back, his road to connecting is going to be that much harder. Irish or not, if WWE rushes him up like Reigns, he will inevitably be treated like Reigns by the average WWE fan.
    Nope.

    1) Muta seemed to get over pretty good in the US too, WCW crosspromoted in japan and Muta was still over when he was in the states in the teeth of the Monday Night War. He's not exactly a nobody.

    2) there are lots of examples where fans did not lose their shit. Ric Flair in 1991. Sycho Sid in 1991. Big Show in 1999. Brock Lesnar in 2002 Jack swagger in 2008. Rob Van Dam's fist feud out of the Invasion was HHH for the World title in 2001/2002. What was Kevin Nash's first WWF feud? The further we go in history, the more common this becomes. How long was Hulk Hogan a WWF wrestler before he won the title? (22 days). How long was Billy Graham? That's only if you dont count NXT as WWE programing, Which is crazy because the WWE has no problem referencing it.

    3) there it is! you dont like the push, its got nothing to do with how long Finn's been on the "main roster", its probably his size. I do think they should strap the rocket to Cass and Bayley, they should protect them from losses to prevent them from becoming Dolph and Swagger. But thats the point, if Bayley and Enzo are over on day one then NXT MUST be having an effect on the WWE universe. The fans the WWE cares most about is the ones who buy the network, so it behooves them to push people out of NXT because you want your audience to watch NXT, the viewership of NXT is still rising.

    4) I have no problem with Roman Reigns. At all. I think Roman Reigns gets a reaction out of the audience and Vince is stupid for not harnessing it. Vince has a problem with Faces and Heels. He has the wrong guy as a face (Roman) and the wrong guy as a heel (Seth) but that doesnt mean I think Vince is wrong arguing that there is a huge potential in Roman Reigns. Also, so what is wrong with my point? It seems you agree with at least 3 of my points and you are backing it up with nothing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    I get a small portion of the WWE audience looooves Fin Balor, but it's just a small portion. He needs time to connect. Which is much more than a month. And if the gimmick remains untouched when he comes back, his road to connecting is going to be that much harder. Irish or not, if WWE rushes him up like Reigns, he will inevitably be treated like Reigns by the average WWE fan.
    A large portion of the NXT audience got over with Finn. Without having exposure from any US indy, his shirts outsold many established WWE talent. The Gimmick seems to have gotten over, despite you not liking it. I think he is going to get the shove and because it's cool to know who he is (because Bullet CLub is over) the hardcores wont turn. They didnt turn when HHH stripped him of all his cool japanese stuff. They havent turned on the comedy act that is Karl and Gallows. They wont turn on FInn. Heck, you just said you cannot believe the fans are ok with Finn when they hate Roman, what makes you think that would change?
    Last edited by Irishsara; 08-31-2016 at 11:10 PM.

  35. #35
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    The entire Wyatt/Balor storyline is terrible.

  36. #36
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    It certainly seems awful. Are people still high on Balor? I feel like he doesn't get talked about nearly as much now.

  37. #37
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    They would be if he wasn't drowning in this terrible Wyatt feud.

  38. #38
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,305
    Anyone think Finn Balor's constant talking up of his being the man to go against Brock Lesnar on social media might hurt him in the eyes of management in the long run? If you believe what you read Vince isn't the biggest fan of his anyway....



    @lopprimetime

  39. #39
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    I'm not sure Finn gives a shit, to be honest.

    That'll sound funny, but there's no way he couldn't get out of WWE and still go and be high profile in NJPW. He knows that, so why play nice? Besides, they've clearly pumped the brakes on him - why else never give him a Universal shot after returning from injury? - so he's treading water otherwise.

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    I don't think anyone but the very top guys give a shit. Everyone else, especially those who came from NJPW or Indies, knew that WWE would be soul-crushing and creatively stifling, they came purely for the money. Do you think Nakamura is happy after coming from being one of the top stars in NJPW, headlining Dome shows with tens of thousands of people in epic matches, only to come to WWE to play 4th fiddle to 3 50 year old guys in a clusterfuck match at SS? Or what about the Bullet Club? There's a reason why Kenny Omega resigned with NJPW.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •