Thread: Christmas/Holiday Movies

Christmas/Holiday Movies

'Tis the season and all that. Time for Christmas movies to be everywhere and for many of us (myself included) to watch some of our personal favorites.

Do any of you have a Christmas movie that you watch every year as sort of a tradition or something? Perhaps a group of flicks that you have to sit down and see at least once or it just doesn't feel like Christmas?

I only have one of the former, that being Die Hard. I watch Die Hard every Christmas Eve and love the shit out of it. Last year I went back and rewatched the first two Home Alone flicks for the first time in like 20 years and enjoyed them, but I'm not sure that's going to be a regular thing.

I'm feeling the itch to watch Gremlins this year. Think I may also check out Scrooged for the first time in a long time and maybe one of my low-key favorite Christmas flicks that not many people talk about, The Ref. That's a fun movie.

I'm just gonna leave this here: Die Hard is not a Christmas movie. It takes place during Christmas, but it has nothing to do with Christmas.

It would really suck to have to ban my own writing partner during the holiday season...

Squared
    I'm kinda with Deg on that one. If Die Hard counts, I'm not sure where to draw the line....

Pretty much everyone I know watches The Muppet Christmas Carol every year.

I will watch the Patrick Stewart version if it is on TV, too. More recently, though, I have been trying to watch some films that I haven't seen before. So in the last couple of years I have watched It's a wonderful life, scrooged, Polar Express... Basically anything with a decent rep that passed me by until now.

@lopprimetime

I'll fight this battle until the day I die.

Is Die Hard about Christmas? No. But neither is perhaps the most iconic Christmas movie of all time, It's A Wonderful Life. That movie literally only has, like, maybe 5-10 minutes worth of Christmas Eve in it, used as a framing device for a story that spans decades of a man's life and otherwise has absolutely nothing to do with the holiday. It's a movie that just so happens to take place during Christmas.

So, too, is Die Hard. The way I see it, any movie that takes place during Christmas and makes a point of stating that fact is, indeed, a Christmas movie. The film need not be all about the holiday to qualify. If that were the case, Jimmy Stewart and Frank Capra shouldn't be on my TV screen at any point over the next month.

Squared
    My problem there is a movie about a child molester dressed as a mall Santa would also fall under that definition, too, and that's just too broad for me. I'd add something about tone being important.

Edit: that may have come over more glib than I intended. Was just the first subject that I imagined pretty much everyone would object to as a Christmas movie, I wasn't deliberately going out of my way to be an ass.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 12-06-2017 at 08:25 AM.

@lopprimetime

Elf has really made itself comfortable among the must-see Christmas classics. IMO it's one of the most well rounded (as in something for all age groups) holiday movies of all time. And if you don't like The Nightmare Before Christmas, then you're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

That reminds me- the live action How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a personal favorite.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Samuel Plan
    Christmas is ESSENTIAL to Die Hard. Without it, there's no Xmas tape for him to tape his gun to his back and surprise Hans and his buddy at the end. No Christmas in Die Hard means John McClane loses. Probably wouldn't even be there, in fact.

Christmas films need to have a certain spirit to them, as well as being set at Christmas. There's nothing feel good about Prime's theoretical example. There is about Die Hard. No festive cheer sort of good of course; but fist pumpingly happy ending good after a hell of a lot of excitement.

I too watch Die Hard every Xmas Eve. I'm with Steve.

Muppet's Christmas Carol; Bad Santa (the first one); It's a Wonderful Life; and the Alistair Sim Scrooge: A Christmas Carol are also among my favourites and are an annual tradition.

Also, if other people are nominating Die Hard, then I nominate Batman Returns.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Samuel Plan
    Also awesome! Watched that one the other day!

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Plan View Post
    No festive cheer sort of good of course; but fist pumpingly happy ending good after a hell of a lot of excitement.
    That sentence right there is probably the best reason I don't think of it as a Christmas movie, even though its being used as an argument for it. It is tonally more befitting other genres. Christmas is intrinsic to the plot but incidental to its mode, and that is way more important.

Full disclosure, I don't love the movie at any time, so I dunno if you want to factor that in.

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    But Christmas isn't really a genre of film is it?

Squared
    I think most genre scholars would say it is now. Genre is a lot more free than it used to be.

@lopprimetime

Fuck me, I came in here to say one thing and Plan said it 4 mins ago.

I will leave now.

Squared
    How do people feel about movies that aren't at all Christmas themed but have other associations with Christmas and are considered family friendly and safe to stick on over the holidays?

The big example in British culture is The Great Escape but more recently the Harry Potters have become the staple.

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    Psht. Christmas isn't a genre!

Uncle Buck is my favourite of such films Prime. Something festive about it even though there's nothing festive at all about it. Lord of the Rings too; I guess because they got released at Christmas time.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Plan View Post
    Psht. Christmas isn't a genre!.
    Well, a genre is just a cluster of conventions, so it could be.

Uncle Buck is exactly the sort of movie I would watch after dinner on Christmas Day.

I ended up watching Fiddler on the Roof a few years back which was.... Different.

@lopprimetime

Star Wars and the Romancing the Stone movies have a real association with Christmas for me...

The not a genre thing is a slam dunk for me in movies. In music now, there are a lot more ins and outs.

Squared
    Genres always come and go. At one time there was no such thing as the horror genre. The Western didn't really exist as a completely separate entity until the advent of Hollywood cinema. The superhero film wasn't thought of as distinct from other action-adventure stuff until fairly recently. And as the production of consciously Christmas-oriented movies has increased, it is not inconceivable that it could form a specific genre, too.

Music is, as you say, near fully hybridised now. Steve made a similar point to that over in the music forum, about why that means it all sucks...

With you on Star Wars.

@lopprimetime

I'm agreeing with Steve, not 'Plan, as he said it first. Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Squared
    Yay, Matt is on your side, I win by default.

But seriously, there are a couple of ways to make a case for it, but it'll never be one for me. It'll always feel like an action movie set at christmas more than a christmas movie filled with action. As I say, maybe I would feel differently if I rated it more highly.

But now I am hoping they stick Uncle Buck or some other feelgood stuff on TV over the days themselves.

@lopprimetime

I specifically said I'm agreeing with Steve. Not 'Plan. I'll never agree with him.

Samuel Plan
    You used to bloody agree with EVERYTHING I said.

What happened to you?

What happened to YOU?