Thread: Hub General Discussion Thread

Hub General Discussion Thread

This is a thread for general discussion, as the name implies. If you've got some random thing on your mind that doesn't warrant an entire thread, this is the place for it. And if a discussion pops off that actually does warrant an entire thread, we can always just create one and then have some discussion starters already good to go by moving them from this thread.

This thread is beginning in a similar manner, as a off-topic discussion popped up in the Mental Health thread, most of it concerning the former FFA and all that. As it didn't belong there, I decided to move it and figured that hey, a general discussion thread isn't that bad an idea for a forum as diverse in topic as The Hub.

So here we are. It's gonna start somewhat abruptly and without context, but hopefully that won't matter when this thing is 50 pages long or whatever.

this is why we need the FFA back...

Yes, it's a damn crying shame that we can't mock those with mental illness openly in a public forum. We really need to bring back the place where everyone was a raging douchebag to one another, as that puts forth the most welcoming image imaginable to new users. "Hey, come join LOP Forums and have a roving pack of asshats call you racial slurs and mock your maladies!"

That's a giant pile of bullshit and you know it. After years of going on about the HOS, I would assume that it's still as unchained and open to whatever as it ever has been. If folks desperately need to just spew forth whatever is on their mind with no care towards gathering new posters, there's a place for it. Hell, you could post a recruitment thread for the place if you want to. HOS: The New FFA or some shit.

Bottom line, though, is that comments and new member numbers are up across the board since an effort has been made to create a more welcoming environment. So it's going to stay this way. That doesn't mean you can't say what you want to, but it does mean that there is a level of tact and common sense expected.

^ I assume this guy is trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Yes, it's a damn crying shame that we can't mock those with mental illness openly in a public forum. We really need to bring back the place where everyone was a raging douchebag to one another, as that puts forth the most welcoming image imaginable to new users. "Hey, come join LOP Forums and have a roving pack of asshats call you racial slurs and mock your maladies!"

That's a giant pile of bullshit and you know it. After years of going on about the HOS, I would assume that it's still as unchained and open to whatever as it ever has been. If folks desperately need to just spew forth whatever is on their mind with no care towards gathering new posters, there's a place for it. Hell, you could post a recruitment thread for the place if you want to. HOS: The New FFA or some shit.

Bottom line, though, is that comments and new member numbers are up across the board since an effort has been made to create a more welcoming environment. So it's going to stay this way. That doesn't mean you can't say what you want to, but it does mean that there is a level of tact and common sense expected.
    do you hear yourself? Why so angry?

You want a happy place where everyone sees rainbows and unicorns that's fine. Obviously you hated the FFA too, which is fine as well, but getting bent over it is ridiculous. The FFA was best sub-forum on this message board for years. Since long before your time. Yes, I fully admit it died and went to complete shit with the emergence of twitter and other forums of internet communication, but you could say the say for the entire forum. Even the wrestling portion of the board has died off. You wouldn't delete that, would you?

The late lord emperor Terry HATED the FFA with a passion...because...well, guys were dicks to him. That being said, he respected the place.

I'm sure you're right, and cooking threads and dog threads will bring this place back to 2002 (how sad am I?), but there's no reason to get so pissed about people moaning about the lack of FFA. Seriously. No one has any issue with you banning people for acting up in here. I'm sure GNR warranted it. There was no reason for the anti-FFA rant though. That hurt my god damn feelings.

I wasn't angry, I was trying to be funny. Swing and a miss on that one, it would appear. I thought that the phrase "asshats" would've been a giveaway, but this is the internet and context has always been its weak point. So sorry if I came off as being pissed. I was actually in a pretty good mood when I wrote that, as I'd just returned from buying my dogs' Christmas presents.

I don't want a place where everyone sees rainbows and unicorns. That's unrealistic. And for the record, I didn't hate the FFA, at least always. I hated what it devolved into, but I actually kinda dug the FFA back in the day. I thought it generated the best conversation on the board and was a necessary outlet, especially as it pertained to fostering friendships or, at the very least, relationships among posters. People made friends in the FFA. It was like the local tavern where you never knew what topic of conversation will be going on, but you knew that you'd see some of your favorite folks shooting the shit about whatever that may be and that you'd more than likely have some good points raised in the midst of it all.

So yeah, you're right. The FFA was the best subforum on this message board for years (with the possible exception of Columns, but that's a personal preference thing). It wasn't before my time, as I've been here since 2002 and watched the place evolve into said best subforum. Just because I didn't actively participate that often doesn't mean I wasn't paying attention. Hell, I used to cherry pick Columns talent from the FFA. AdamG, aisce, guys like that. I'd see their posts, join in with a couple of other CF regulars and encourage them to take a shot at writing some shit. The whole board was working as a unit back then, in many ways, despite the self imposed imaginary borders we often put up between subforums.

You're also right in saying that it went to shit. It actually went to shit a few years ago. Terry DID hate the FFA, but he didn't respect it. He brought up nuking the FFA as far back as 2010 and was always talked out of it by guys like myself, Pen and Hustle who saw its value to the board. He really, really fucking despised the FFA, likely because its inhabitants made a point of mocking his personal life and tragedies that had befallen him.

The thing with Terry is that he eventually just stopped giving a shit about it. He didn't respect it, he just didn't care anymore. That evolved into him losing interest in the board as a whole. Not sure if I'm supposed to be saying things like this publicly, but I dig transparency. Terry only logged in once in the final year before I was named head admin. Guys like myself and Team Farrell were doing everything. Terry didn't think the place was worth his time and effort anymore, largely due to what the FFA had become. I can't say that I blame him.

The difference between the FFA and other portions of the board that had died off a bit is that the FFA was actively toxic. While the TNA or whatever subforum was (and is) kinda quiet, it wasn't actively inspiring people to leave. The FFA was. There was no more quality conversation, no more good points being brought up. When I killed it off I went through it thread by thread looking for threads to save that had good points and solid discussion in them. I found maybe 4. It was fucking weak sauce, man.

Cooking and Dog threads aren't going to bring the place back to 2002. Just not gonna happen. Nothing is going to do that. Lots of people have dogs, though, and are generally pretty enthusiastic about them. Lots of us have been single dudes who had to fend for ourselves as it pertains to food at some point or another, also. Those threads were created not because they're the peak of awesomeness or whatever, but because I was taking shots in the dark trying to hit upon subjects that could maybe be universal enough to get some discussion rolling. Because even the illusion of activity within a subforum, or on a message board as a whole, is better than no activity at all. Fake it til you make it and all that, you know?

So yeah, this is going on too goddamn long. I'm sorry if my FFA comments stung. They were directed towards what the FFA had become, though, not what it once was. The FFA used to kick ass. Then it stopped and just became ass, to the point that there was no real reason to justify having two general discussion subforums on a board that isn't as active as it once was. Yeah, the content within the place was a large motivating factor in getting rid of it, but it was also quite simply that it had become redundant.

I know you get it, and I appreciate that you've rolled with the flow. You're a valuable member of this community and have been for over a decade and a half. Just because we may disagree on some shit doesn't mean I don't appreciate that. And just because I hated what the FFA became over the last couple years of its life doesn't mean that I always hated it or that I don't recognize just how important it was in keeping this place alive for a long fucking time.

Christ, I talk too fucking much.

You made some fair points. Honestly the post I quoted just pissed me off. Maybe I didn't catch the sarcasm.

I think we can talk shit to each without warranting a ban though? I get it as far as the racial slurs go...but I can't live in a world where I can't point out the dude is a tit.

Of course we can talk shit to each other without warranting a ban. Just be mindful of your surroundings when you do so. Some topics are more sensitive than others and my chief concern is running off new posters by making threads concerning those topics appear hostile. For instance, the Mental Health thread. It would behoove us not to have someone roll in there looking to engage in meaningful conversation about their own plight only to see that the last guy to do so was advised to go fuck his mother. But if someone were to bust balls about making out with their dog under the mistletoe in the Dog thread, that's fine. A bit weird, but fine.

Bottom line is that I won't just up and ban someone over a questionable post without issuing a warning first. Just one, though. Then it's at least two months on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by notslap View Post
    You made some fair points. Honestly the post I quoted just pissed me off. Maybe I didn't catch the sarcasm.

I think we can talk shit to each without warranting a ban though? I get it as far as the racial slurs go...but I can't live in a world where I can't point out the dude is a tit.
    Whatever, hillbilly.

I got a feeling Dude ain't gonna last long at all.

In bed?

Quote Originally Posted by westward-ho View Post
    I got a feeling Dude ain't gonna last long at all.
    I said that a decade ago. He's like Artie Lange.

Waited half an hour for the 24 hour shop to open because there was a sign that said back in 15 mins.

...it never opened. Went to a different shop that was more expensive. Assholes.
    @El_Duderino_999

whats with the @El_Duderino_999

EDIT: ha, that's your twitter handle. you have twitter now. I tweeted you!