Thread: Film Soundtracks

Hybrid View

Squared

Film Soundtracks

I was driving back listening to the popular classical station the other day and they had some John Williams stuff on, which is what got me thinking that although people sometimes think of classical music as a dead form it has lived on in the world of the soundtrack. There's been some seriously iconic stuff, not just from John Williams but also from people like Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, or indeed this little beauty from the pen of James Horner:

Then of course, you've got the other end of the spectrum: the 'jukebox' soundtrack. I always tend to think you find something kinda interesting on the soundtrack to every Tarantino movie, for example.

So, yeah - discussion of film soundtracks here!

Saturday Night Fever - I think it had 7 number one singles from it
    High Fidelity has one of the best soundtracks of all time.
    Highlander - Queen at their best
    Singles
    GOTG Vol 1 and 2
    Reservoir Dogs

Just to name a few

The Crow is easily one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Easily. And I don't just say that because I love the flick.

I used to be a big soundtrack guy. A few of my personal favorites.

The Crow
    Last Action Hero
    Demon Knight
    Lost Highway
    Beavis and Butt-Head Do America

My favorite movie soundtracks are

- Saturday Night Fever
    - Grease
    - This is It
    - Rock of Ages
    - Iron Man 2
    - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1

I think I'm in the same boat as you Prime, love the epic Howard Shore's and Hans Zimmer style songs. My favourite soundtracks would have to be:
    - Lord of the Rings (all 3 in one)
    - Star Wars
    - Gladiator
    - School of Rock

I'm not sure why but I have a special place in my heart for this particular song off the Gladiator sound track called Earth:

Squared
    Mate, the LOTR soundtrack is awesome. As well as the orchestral stuff I liked the two towers because you've got the great Gollum's song by Emiliana Torrellini at the end, which is superb.

Samuel Plan
    I love this thread. 90% of music on my iPod is movie soundtracks!

I'm appalled that Mad Max: Fury Road hasn't had any love in here yet though. The music in that film was beyond awesome. I've never fallen in love with a movie faster than I did with Fury Road since I first watched Star Wars, and now FR sits above Star Wars on my favourites list; it's such a disorientating sensory experience of a film in the cinema, and while some of that is lost in the reduced scale of television it never the less remains compelling to me, and the score is such a massive part of the reason why. Brothers in Arms; what a beast of a track.

Star Wars is, of course, iconic. Duel of the Fates; Across the Stars; Battle of Heroes; all excellent. Qui Gon's Funeral still gives me chills too, the Imperial March speaks for itself and I love all three Battle of Endor tracks from the ROTJ score. The Jedi Steps from TFA's score was elating and The Spark from TLJ's score has been listened to god knows how many times by me in the last month. Shout out to Michael Giacchino as well, who did an absolutely remarkable job in capturing the spirit of John Williams' work while taking it to new places with his score to Rogue One. The Imperial Suite, Jyn Erso & Hope Suite and Guardians of the Whills Suite are like something lifted straight out of early cuts of the original Wars. And The Master Switch as well as Hope are both immense individual tracks that capture the tension of their scenes so brilliantly.

The latest raft of X-Men films have all had great scores too: First Class, Days of Future Past and Apocalypse. The second in particular is stunning to me. Wonder Woman's was great, and I think Batman v Superman's was just sublime. Is She With You? never fails to get my pulse pounding.

Guiltier pleasures include Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials and a bunch of Murray Gold's work on Doctor Who (I know, not a film, but the music is quite cinematic, if a little heavy handed sometimes).

I have a special place reserved for Ennio Morricone's Watch Chimes - Carillon's Theme. Haunting, tense; amazing.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

if you like Giacchino, check out the Lost (TV series) soundtrack because it's probably his best work IMO.

Samuel Plan
    Oh I know it well! Some cracking character themes on there.

I think my favourite is the The Social Network soundtrack. I used to listen to that on the bus when I was on my way home from work, and it was great to listen to in the dark with the cars flying past me.

I look out for the Reznor/Ross soundtracks now, because I normally enjoy them. Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl, Patriots Day - I've enjoyed them all. I like that kind of soundtrack, one that's just kind of atmospheric rather than overly dominant.

Surprised you didn't have Interstellar, Sammy. Swear I thought you loved that.

Samuel Plan
    Might have to check some of those out, Oli.

I do indeed love it Eddie. I guess it slipped my mind! I remember thinking how much the soundtrack added to the film when I first saw it too. Totally blew me away.

Samuel Plan
    Just watched The Red Turtle.

Needless to say I'll be buying that soundtrack. What deeply moving music.