Thread: Fifa/Pro Evo

Squared

Fifa/Pro Evo

Don't know how widely this applies, but to whole generations of British men in particular, social gaming basically means football games. And there's been two franchises that have really bossed the market for more than 20 years now.

My own history. Started out with the first few Fifa games over the ISS equivalent, but that all turned around the time it became international superstar soccer pro evolution. From then Pro Evo seemed to be king for years.

It was when I got an X-Box and a cheap second hand copy of Fifa that I noticed some kind of shift. Having played both games I knew that on the X-Box at least, EA were back on top, even though most of my mates with PS2s still swore by Pro Evo.

Now, I think it's pretty much universally agreed Fifa is top dog again, though I played Pro Evo on the Wii and though it was like learning to walk again, it was surprisingly good.

But enough from me - football game chat, go!

@lopprimetime

There was a Footy game, I think on the PS1, where you could select players with different special abilities. There was a big striker with a "power shot", a little guy with dreads that would jump over players with the ball between his feet. There was a big English centre half that used to stick the nut on opponents and a German that would dive all the time.

I can't for the life of me remember the title though.

Played a lot of football games over the years - started as a kid with Super Soccer and the original Fifa on the SNES, I played Fifa: RTWC '98 on the PC (and nothing has really topped that, in fairness). I never played Pro Evo until I got to uni, but Fifa basically released the same game over and over again, and Pro Evo has always felt like more a purist's game. I don't know if it's the type of player who plays Pro Evo, or if the game is just naturally more suited to it, but it's less about showboating and individual brilliance and more about systems and building moves, which I prefer on balance. I'd been a Fifa loyalist since about 2009, but last year I skipped Fifa and ended up getting Pro Evo for 8 on a PS Store discount day. Best 8 I've spent in ages.

I quite like the Be A Pro mode, where you just control one player. It's a bit more frustrating on Pro Evo, because it doesn't seem to make any difference to your rating if you give the ball away 50 times (you'll score 6.0) or create one and score two (you'll score 7.0), whereas on Fifa it fluctuates wildly.

None of them are as good as Football Manager though.

I still buy Fifa every year and play online with my friends. I intend to do this till I die.

I also get Football Manager although recently I've moved to the more streamlined tablet versions.

Squared
    You are right about FIFA being more individual and Pro Evo being more about building moves, though that seems less pronounced than it used to be.

My move back to FIFA was because the XBox pro Evo that year was so stilted, while Fifa really had a flow to it. And you could play wingers and crosses way more easily than trying to do that on Pro Evo, which is generally more continental in how you have to build up play.

If you're still doing football manager, you totally have to get into the bragging thread and share some tales of European glory with Aldershot or whoever it is.

@lopprimetime

Fifa went down hill when they stopped the crazy ball cheat.