Thread: Don Callis back to Impact?

Squared

Don Callis back to Impact?

So just been reading that Don Callis is close to making a return to Impact. He won't be finishing up with NJPW, so it'll presumably be a case of working for both. I guess he'll be brought back as an announcer, though the option remains for him to became an authority figure, or even a manager, once again.

I've always thought he's a good talent. Don't know his recent stuff, but based on what I do know I'd always be pleased to see him turn up.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    I liked him in the past as an onscreen character but have not liked him at all as a New Japan commentator. My tolerance for commentators is usually high but he's been pretty bad in my opinion, making a lot of reference to "six star" matches and how this and that makes for a great show without even the barest pretense of treating it as real competition. That said, I'm not sure it's possible to worse than Josh Matthews' work this year, so if he's stepping in that role it might still be an improvement.

Squared
    Interesting development, coming in as an Executive Vp and will have a say in creative. May not be onscreen at all, though I would still expect to see him.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    I have no idea whatsoever about his booking background, if he has any. Guess we'll see how it goes!

Squared
    To the best of my knowledge he has none, though willing to be contradicted on that. As you say, let's see how it goes.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    I mean, a lot of guys contributed to booking in ECW, so he might have gotten his feet wet there. I haven't heard that specifically but it's a possibility.

Squared
    Just been reading something about the recommendation to hire Callis and D'Amore coming from Chris Jericho.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Now that's a bizarre connection. Who is Jericho even in touch with at Anthem?

Squared
    Damned if I know, to be honest. Maybe it's like a Canadian wrestling mafia thing.

I think there's a couple more weeks of the previous regime and then the Callis/D'amore era will be on TV. So we'll see what their vision looks like then.

@lopprimetime

Super Moderator
    Don Callis was my least favourite part of Wrestle Kingdom and I hope that he gets produced pretty hard on Impact...but I doubt it.

He has a serious case of "bubble syndrome" where it seems like he's been in the business for a thousand rears and doesn't know how to interact with other people. The worst part is that he was out of the business, so I know that it's a work! He keeps speaking in insider terms talking about getting people over and calling stuff stiff and talks about "working" a body part.

That's all "insider" stuff that takes me right out of it. It actually makes me roll my eyes, because it's terms that a commentator shouldn't be using and hearing him do so makes me think he's just doing it to sound cool to the smart marks.

He has the perfect voice for commentary, and his breakdowns of the action are stellar, he just needs to have this "insider" garbage produced out of him.

Squared
    I agree. Working wouldn't bother me too much because that's common enough English (in soccer you might be 'working the channels' or 'working down the left side' or whatever) but a lot of that other stuff drives me up the wall. I didn't even like it when commentators called the chokeslam a goozle, though, so it's probably not a surprise.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Completely agree with that. Callis has driven me nuts on New Japan commentary, I think he could be good but his tendencies make him almost un-listenable.

Squared
    Do we actually know if he's going to be commentating for Impact yet? I hadn't heard any confirmation of that.

All the talk I have heard is that they are going to be producing talent a lot less than WWE in an effort to feel a bit more spontaneous (not a hard job), so if he does join the booth I can't see him being the only person to get lots of direction - given that he has creative control of the entire product and all.

@lopprimetime

Does anyone know when the first shows of the new era will be broadcast?

Super Moderator
    I think that they already are. D'Amore and Callis both said not to expect major changes right away, because they don't believe in doing the whole "new era" bullshit that TNA has done 937 times in the past. They are just planning on making a series of consistent changes until Impact is what they envision.

The Brain
    Well that's refreshing at least. We're well under a year from the last "new era".