Thread: Anthony Joshua vs. Carlos Takam

Squared

Anthony Joshua vs. Carlos Takam

So.... Anyone watching or following the Joshua fight tonight?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-27-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Friends who went to the fight said it was the worst event they’d ever been to. Poor organising, low quality in the ring and absolute chaos after.

AJ winning was a forgone conclusion too.

I watched it, bullshit finish, should have gone the distance. AJ's record of 20/20/20 had to remain in tact.

Squared
    I'd heard about the technical problems at the arena, and you certainly don't see that every time. Seemed pretty unprofessional.

I didn't see the whole thing, but from what I did catch I didn't get much of a sense as to why the stoppage came then. I guess you could say that he was taking punches and not throwing back, but one of his hands was still up in a guard position. My guess is that if you asked the referee he'd probably say that it was cumulative, and the damage done to his face combined with the fact AJ was catching him at will probably was behind it.

Here's the question; is boxing caught between a rock and a hard place - the need to clean the sport up a bit and protect fighters leveraged against the hurt that'll be done to the sport by more finishes that fans consider premature?

Seeing that Wilder won his match - and that he's called out Joshua. If Tyson Fury doesn't get back to top-level stuff then is this the only real match left in the heavyweight division right now?

In the heavyweight division, yes. That's the only fight available. I would have thrown Haye into the mix, but not after his defeat to Bellew. Was unfortunate with regards the foot injury, and the fact he survived an extra 5 or so rounds on one leg is inspiring, but he's lost some credibility I think.

If you guys haven't already it's worth looking for the the knockout in Wilder last fight it was pretty nasty. Only fight I would watch in the heavyweight division is AJ Wilder. If Bellew beast haye for the 2nd time do you think he will challenge for any of the belts in the division?

Squared
    Yeah, that's a pretty brutal one. Certainly has the power to cause AJ problems, doesn't he? You'd have to think that's the fight that boxing needs, given that heavyweight is always where the sport lives and dies in the popular imagination.

It's hard to say with regards to Bellew. I don't think he's rated that highly by any of the major bodies at the moment so it's not like he is already in line, but if he were to beat a healthy David Haye then that might change very quickly and he could put himself into some sort of contention. But to be honest, I am not sure he can beat a healthy David Haye. Haye wasn't at his best even before the injury that night, but I think he was shading the fight until his leg gave out, and if he comes in leaner and stays upright for the whole thing, I am not sure that Bellew can beat him.

Certainly interesting after the way the first one went. Not actually that long to wait for it, either - six weeks or thereabouts?

Squared
    Hearing that AJ and Wilder is likely for 2018.

Also enjoyed Joshua calling out Tyson Fury, telling the 'fat fuck' to get into shape and come after him.

May be a controversial view but for me, unless he actually does come back and prove me wrong then to me Fury will always be a waster who got lucky enough to catch Klitschko on a bad night, then ran before he could be found out. And anything he says to the contrary is just noise.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    It's hard to say with regards to Bellew. I don't think he's rated that highly by any of the major bodies at the moment so it's not like he is already in line, but if he were to beat a healthy David Haye then that might change very quickly and he could put himself into some sort of contention. But to be honest, I am not sure he can beat a healthy David Haye. Haye wasn't at his best even before the injury that night, but I think he was shading the fight until his leg gave out, and if he comes in leaner and stays upright for the whole thing, I am not sure that Bellew can beat him.

Certainly interesting after the way the first one went. Not actually that long to wait for it, either - six weeks or thereabouts?

Scratch that - breaking news is David Haye has pulled out of the fight. Makes you wonder if Bellew's promoters will go looking for a big fight now, or if they'll hold off and wait to see rather than jeopardising the big payday with Haye.