Thread: Anthony Joshua thread

Squared

Anthony Joshua thread

So.... Anyone watching or following the Joshua fight tonight?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-27-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Friends who went to the fight said it was the worst event they’d ever been to. Poor organising, low quality in the ring and absolute chaos after.

AJ winning was a forgone conclusion too.

I watched it, bullshit finish, should have gone the distance. AJ's record of 20/20/20 had to remain in tact.

Squared
    I'd heard about the technical problems at the arena, and you certainly don't see that every time. Seemed pretty unprofessional.

I didn't see the whole thing, but from what I did catch I didn't get much of a sense as to why the stoppage came then. I guess you could say that he was taking punches and not throwing back, but one of his hands was still up in a guard position. My guess is that if you asked the referee he'd probably say that it was cumulative, and the damage done to his face combined with the fact AJ was catching him at will probably was behind it.

Here's the question; is boxing caught between a rock and a hard place - the need to clean the sport up a bit and protect fighters leveraged against the hurt that'll be done to the sport by more finishes that fans consider premature?

Seeing that Wilder won his match - and that he's called out Joshua. If Tyson Fury doesn't get back to top-level stuff then is this the only real match left in the heavyweight division right now?

In the heavyweight division, yes. That's the only fight available. I would have thrown Haye into the mix, but not after his defeat to Bellew. Was unfortunate with regards the foot injury, and the fact he survived an extra 5 or so rounds on one leg is inspiring, but he's lost some credibility I think.

If you guys haven't already it's worth looking for the the knockout in Wilder last fight it was pretty nasty. Only fight I would watch in the heavyweight division is AJ Wilder. If Bellew beast haye for the 2nd time do you think he will challenge for any of the belts in the division?

Squared
    Yeah, that's a pretty brutal one. Certainly has the power to cause AJ problems, doesn't he? You'd have to think that's the fight that boxing needs, given that heavyweight is always where the sport lives and dies in the popular imagination.

It's hard to say with regards to Bellew. I don't think he's rated that highly by any of the major bodies at the moment so it's not like he is already in line, but if he were to beat a healthy David Haye then that might change very quickly and he could put himself into some sort of contention. But to be honest, I am not sure he can beat a healthy David Haye. Haye wasn't at his best even before the injury that night, but I think he was shading the fight until his leg gave out, and if he comes in leaner and stays upright for the whole thing, I am not sure that Bellew can beat him.

Certainly interesting after the way the first one went. Not actually that long to wait for it, either - six weeks or thereabouts?

Hearing that AJ and Wilder is likely for 2018.

Also enjoyed Joshua calling out Tyson Fury, telling the 'fat fuck' to get into shape and come after him.

May be a controversial view but for me, unless he actually does come back and prove me wrong then to me Fury will always be a waster who got lucky enough to catch Klitschko on a bad night, then ran before he could be found out. And anything he says to the contrary is just noise.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 02-01-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    It's hard to say with regards to Bellew. I don't think he's rated that highly by any of the major bodies at the moment so it's not like he is already in line, but if he were to beat a healthy David Haye then that might change very quickly and he could put himself into some sort of contention. But to be honest, I am not sure he can beat a healthy David Haye. Haye wasn't at his best even before the injury that night, but I think he was shading the fight until his leg gave out, and if he comes in leaner and stays upright for the whole thing, I am not sure that Bellew can beat him.

Certainly interesting after the way the first one went. Not actually that long to wait for it, either - six weeks or thereabouts?

Scratch that - breaking news is David Haye has pulled out of the fight. Makes you wonder if Bellew's promoters will go looking for a big fight now, or if they'll hold off and wait to see rather than jeopardising the big payday with Haye.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Squared

Anthony Joshua vs Joseph Parker - Heavyweight Unification Fight

Anthony Joshua and Joseph Parker will square off in March at the Principality Stadium, formerly the Millennium Stadium, in Cardiff, Wales. Three quarters of the world title is on the line, and the winner is pretty much guaranteed to go after the American, Deontay Wilder, and the WBC title, in a match that I believe would see the winner become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis.

Anyway, it seems to me that there's more buzz about a Joshua fight than pretty much anyone else. I don't know why, but it seems like Americans are a lot more down on boxing, and are maybe trending towards UFC, while a big British name will still turn out a big crowd here and generate some kind of excitement. It's maybe the best thing for the sport that Joshua wins here and goes on to have the big fight with the named American - hard to imagine a fight between two actual boxers that could generate more interest in the two countries, given the traditional dominance of the heavyweights.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I see a Joshua win. I'm shocked they went for the Millennium again, considering everyone I knew who went to the last bout said it was a shambles. They're all staying home this time.

It will still sellout though and I look forward to watching it as home, where I can see what's happening and not be punished after.

Squared
    The hype for this fight has taken a bit of a turn, with accusations of PED usage flying around.

I think Joshua wins too, but it's almost that he has to for the state of boxing in this country. Go back a few years and you had Calzaghe, Hatton, Khan all able to pull in a decent audience, but now it's really AJ in a different league from pretty much everyone else in box office terms.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Deontay Wilder thinks Parker has to KO AJ to win. And it's hard to disagree.

Then it's the big match in Vegas hopefully.

Squared
    Tyson Fury has been stripped of The Ring title for failure to defend in two years. And they don't believe that Parker is good enough to recognise the winner of that fight.

So they are holding out, on the idea that the winner faces Wilder and then the winner of THAT match will be unanimously the world champion - all the belts and The Ring title.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Just back on what I said earlier, Wilder still building up an AJ fight like he thinks he's going to get through Parker unscathed.

Squared
    Couple of weeks until the Joshua and Parker fight now. I read something about Parker's strategy being to take Klitschko's strategy and kind of overload it as a way of taking Joshua and turning him over. I'm not sure that he really hits hard enough to take a Klitschko strategy but I haven't seen enough of him to be 100% sure of that.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Joshua is talking about an Mma crossover so maybe those other fights will have to wait even if he does win this one...

Squared
    Only a week left - how many people are actually going to watch Joshua and Parker?

I'm a little early on this but better early than late. Sticking this to the top of the forum until after the fight....
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I'm way out of the loop on it but if I'm sitting home and remember I will definitely check it out.

Squared
    Sounds like this is going heavy for Joshua so far and Parker has had to try and change tactics to counter....
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Decent fight, very tactical. Think it will be good for Joshua to get a fight like this under his belt, go the full 12 rounds. Had it a little closer than the judges perceived it, tho I am by no means an expert. Felt Parker only really had the middle rounds, maybe 4, 5 and 6. The early rounds could have gone either way.

Squared
    Most of the British commentators had it as an almost sweep, I believe. Though perhaps that's not surprising.

It sounds to me like Joshua wanted to get through this one and wasn't really willing to take any risks that could jeopardise the much bigger match with Wilder. Just did enough to outbox him and settled for that. I think there might be a few more fireworks in that one.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I was watching an american broadcast (with Mauro!) and they had it far closer. But they did agree that the last 5 rounds all went Joshua's way which is why they thought he won. They didn't sound too convinced about AJ as a fighter though.

Squared
    I'm not sure anyone who knows boxing thinks AJ is a completely finished product. Thing is, at the moment you don't have to be to be a player in the Heavyweight division. He'd have been caught out in previous generations for sure. But yeah, he's got to the point where a unification fight is on the cards so he's good enough for now.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"