Thread: (Auto) Biographies

Squared

(Auto) Biographies

It's probably one of the most popular corners of the literary market after crime fiction, and some people read these that don't read anything else: a place for a discussion of all biographies and autobiographies!

I used to read a lot of these, especially about musicians. I've done less of them as time has gone by and the number of books for people who've been around for a cup of coffee has gone up, and drowned out a lot of the market. Same with sportsmen.

The one area I'm still reasonably well versed is pro-wrestling. The holy trinity of wrestling autobiographers for me has been Foley, Bret Hart, and Chris Jericho really came though in a strong way. I've read a lot more than that but they'd be the desert island picks.

I've also read a lot of the more popular wrestler biographies, but there's a lot of lesser-talked-about wrestling biographies that I found more interesting. Terry Funk's and Bob Holly's books were good reads to me and I would recommend those.

Outside of wrestling ones, I usually read about people in the tech or business world. Some of the ones I enjoyed the most were Elon Musk ("Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future"), Phil Knight ("Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike") and Richard Branson ("Losing My Virginity: How I Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way").

I've tried to get into the biographies for more historical figures, but they honestly don't grab my attention as much.