Thread: Impact/TNA Authority figures

Squared

Impact/TNA Authority figures

So this is a thread for the people who have been authority figures for any iteration of TNA, GFW or Impact, and how the company have used those figures generally. Personally I haven't been much of a fan, on the whole, but I wonder if there are more views out there. Here's a pretty full list of people to have been in these various roles at various points over the company history.

Jeff Jarrett
    Jerry Jarrett
    Dixie Carter
    Vince Russo
    Jim Cornette
    Don Callis
    Erik Watts
    Dusty Rhodes
    Hulk Hogan
    Mick Foley
    Billy Corgan
    Karen Jarrett
    Bruce Prichard
    Sting
    MVP
    Kurt Angle
    Traci Brooks
    Ms Tessmacher
    Brooke Hogan
    Maria Kanellis
    and Eric Bischoff.

My favourite run in TNA translates to the Sting/Hogan babyface general manager period. I felt they were less in the way of the product than at almost any other time. Though I think Corny was pretty inoffensive, he just had less good material to work with. On the whole I've liked their heel bosses less, though I was quite happily watching through the Immortal days. How much of that was NWO nostalgia, I don't know, and it definitely got better once Immortal were gone, but they'd still be my pick of the heels.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Christ, that's quite a list. I guess WWE's would be even longer, though I'd hate to be the one to compile it. Jerry Jarrett was actually on screen?? I must have totally missed that. A few thoughts:

Vince Russo - Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Erik Watts - Haha, what?? Why?!?

Hulk Hogan - I actually agree, especially as a babyface this was a solid role for Hogan. He got to pop the crowd and do his thing without being too much in the way, plus they actually had a really good and layered story going on with him and Bully Ray, though his sudden departure screwed the pooch on the ending.

Billy Corgan - People like to praise this guy for doing good stuff backstage and that may well be true, but I think forget what an annoying onscreen presence he was onscreen. He was at times Mike Adamle levels of awkward and didn't seem to want to commit to being a face or heel, but he sure gave a handful of overly long promos in his short time in the spotlight. At the end he started wearing a pimp coat for some reason. Truly bizarre.

Dixie Carter - I'll say it, underrated. She did too many promos, but especially as a heel she was tapping into something that people genuinely disliked, and could pull off the condescending, controlling mom character with eerie accuracy, and was 100% game to look the fool and get her comeuppance, unlike many others I could mention. I'm sure some would argue what she had was "go away heat", but the payoff when she got put through a table was nuclear, possibly the hottest segment TNA has done this decade.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post

Dixie Carter - I'm sure some would argue what she had was "go away heat", but the payoff when she got put through a table was nuclear, possibly the hottest segment TNA has done this decade.
    Ha, we've done this dance before, haven't we? I can only tell you my own experience, which is that no one crushed my interest in TNA more as an on-screen character than Dixie Carter. I obviously can't put myself into the minds of people in the arenas at the time, but I suspect that a lot of it was 'fuck outta the ring' heat. The end reaction was pretty huge, but I wonder how many people they lost on the way to that, how much damage the whole thing had done to the company to get to that point, and if the reaction wasn't as big as it was only because by that point the audience was self-selecting - that most of the critical voices had already given up. I was only still watching out of a perverse sense of loyalty, by then, and though I've got to admit it wasn't solely down to her, she was the biggest part, for sure.

Jerry Jarrett may not have been on screen, we didn't have access to all of the early TNA stuff (just whatever videos made it online) so I was going off a list for the early days. He may have just been referred to somewhere, or it may be a mixture of fact and fiction. I wouldn't like to say for certain.

So, Erik Watts was because he was Bill Watts son (as you might have guessed), but he was kinda the NWA representative in NWA:TNA, in what was another go around for the tradition vs. modern feud that never seemed to go away in WCW, and made a few appearances in the WWE too. So as Watts boy he made a fair bit of sense as the anti-Russo babyface in that binary opposition. It was a bad angle but to be fair to him, Watts was far from the worst part of it!

I could have been a huge Corgan fan, both for someone who got Dixie out of the way and just because he would have a lot of goodwill for being the lead singer in one of my favourite bands, but I agree, what the fuck was going on with some of that shit. If he wanted to be on-screen he needed to be Tunney as fuck. What we got was ludicrous.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Haha, we won't agree on Dixie. I'll leave it be.

Huh, I thought Jerry was pushed out after a few months but I guess he was around backstage til 2005. He may well have made it onscreen at some point, though I've never heard of it! I'll keep an eye out for him as I do the NWA/TNA series with SpinMaster.

THANK YOU for that point about Corgan!! People fall down and worship the guy for some of the stuff he did backstage, maybe rightfully so, but his onscreen weirdness gets really glossed over.