Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Association Football 2017/18 - Premier League, Champions League etc.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    How's Snodgrass actually doing for you, Prime? See he got two against City, but is he playing well generally?
    Yeah, generally he is doing fine. Been man of the match a few times and got a few goals from midfield, and assists too. He has his bad games but we'd be at least 9 points worse off without him.

As for West Ham, and Newcastle for that matter, it may be that I'm paying less attention but honestly I can't even follow the logic of what they're trying to do in terms of recruitment anymore.

Well Bodin has joined Preston from us so I'm looking forward to getting readjusting to life in League 2 once again in the near future.

Squared
    Is that Paul Bodin, formerly of Everton and Wales?

Speaking of Everton, thought Jagielka and Lookman had good games in defeat yesterday. Were a bit unlucky, even if generally the right team won.

It was quite an entertaining game. Thought that Robertson kid on Liverpool's left had a good game, too. Van Dyck looked at home, but Liverpool have a real problem with the goalkeeper. I've not seen much of Mignolet this season, but Karius was just terrible - amazed he only shipped one, frankly. Surely the other £60m raised from Coutinho's sale must go on a quality goalkeeper.

Honestly, I don't know what it is either. We bought players to get us out of the Championship last season, and they did an excellent job in a difficult league. You would think the same logic would be applied - sign players to achieve your objective, i.e. stay in the Premier League. Joselu is not a Premier League striker. I actually like the look of Merino, but I don't think we needed him as much as an experienced centre half or a goalscorer. There's been a lot made of the fact Charlie Austin was available this summer. There will be plenty of players who would love to go and play under Rafa Benitez. It clearly comes down to money, and the amount needed to land the players we need to make an impact is not matched by what was available over the summer. It's going to be an interesting 4 weeks, but I daresay we'll be frustrated come the end of it.

Pete- how do you feel about Peterborough right now? Is Terry playing often?

Looks like Rafa still doesnít have much to play with given his lack of links with anyone.

Hughes has to be on his way out now. Defeat after defeat and embarrassment after embarrassment. Itís getting worse.

Cardiff are rubbish too. But they started well enough to hide it.

Hughes has gone. Never liked him, but even by his standards he's been an arrogant twat recently.

Squared
    I liked Hughes as a player. I never took to him as a manager really. Respect his record but doubt many will argue with the decision to sack him at the moment.

I don't have much feeling about Peterborough one way or the other, Nony. Terry was playing very well before his injury but has been out for a while.

Hughes has done well but lost the dressing rooms this season. Heís chopped and changed and run out of ideas seemingly.

Bookies donít seem to have a clue what comes next although Giggs is favourite for seemingly no reason.

£142m for Coutinho.

Heís worth 2 Virgil Van Dykís.

Looks like Liverpool are getting Mahrez to replace him.
    Last edited by anonymous; 01-06-2018 at 06:40 PM.

I suppose then the question becomes is Van Dijk really worth £75m?

Is this all just a rebound from the Neymar transfer and a one off kind of thing, Barca passing money on to Liverpool who pass it on to Southampton, or is this the world we live in now when it comes to football.

I mean, my view of it is shaded because I think Coutinho's hugely overrated anyway, so I think it's a ludicrous sum. But how are clubs that aren't massive and have huge slush funds of cash now supposed to compete?

Starting to make me question whether I can be bothered to remain interested in top level football.

Squared
    Worth it is kinda irrelevant in that market if you can convince someone to pay it. If someone plays regularly in the champions league they are probably 'worth' pretty much anything given the stupid sums of money in the game now.

Fans scream for transfers citing a lack of ambition if you can't get it done. Clubs don't want to be seen as selling clubs so stick huge fees on their players. But the top clubs can afford to, and still have to pay what it takes.

But yeah, it's certainly off-putting. There was a certain excitement about big transfers back in the day but now they are routine, and so ridiculous, it's more disgusting than anything else. When second tier clubs are dropping £20m plus you know the game has gone to the dogs.

It's not doing the game any favours, either. Everything is so much.... Flatter, than it used to be.

I think that's because the moment a non-big club come against a big club they cede possession and try and counter. I mean, just look at Spurs Vs West Ham - Spurs had nearly 80% of the ball. Stopping them was more important than scoring, realistically.

When you look through the Premier League, almost every club has set their transfer record in the last three windows. I think the only exception is Newcastle, where Owen remains their record signing.

In other news - Carroll to Chelsea on loan is just paper talk, right?

I enjoy Arsenal getting worse every season. Itís fun. And tragic.

Surely Wenger must go soon?

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    I feel like he might go this season. His last few interviews and his behavior lately in making comments that he knew would quite obviously get him banned. Feels like he's starting to lose faith a little. I wonder if there is any truth to the Arteta rumours.

Wouldn't fancy us to beat Chelsea over two legs in the Coca Cola Cup and top 4 is going to be very competitive. We might get a bit of joy in the Europa league but even there I see 2 or 3 teams that I'd expect to beat us.

Unless he does a serious bit of business in Janaury (Aubaymeng, Griezemann, Draxler, Lemar) I can see the heads starting to drop. The Nottm Forest performance was awful. I'll give the young players a pass but Mertesacker, Holding, Elneny, Iwobi, Welbeck and Walcott were all rubbish. And we ended up getting dumped out of a Cup we've won 3 of the last 4 years by a team of far less quality, although credit to them at the same time.

So yeah FML Arsenal.

Squared
    I know he's an unfashionable coach and some people are always going to look at the demerits on his record rather than the far greater number of successes, but can we take a moment to admire the way Roy Hodgson has turned Crystal Palace around?

I think both he and Moyes will deserve plaudits for what they've done (to date), although Hodgson arguably has a lower quality squad (and I don't say that as a West Ham fan). Meanwhile Pardew hasn't Pardewed at West Brom at all, and they look pretty much the same as they did before Pulis. Haven't won a league game since the first two matches of the season and are four points adrift of 17th.

I'm surprised to Southampton struggling as much as they are, I must admit.

Stoke appointing Paul Lambert has to increase the likelihood that they'll be playing Championship Football next year.

Squared
    I dunno, I think Tim Sherwood/Remi Garde's season might be evidence of just how well Lambert actually did to keep us up for three years. And his Norwich run was pretty good.

You have to imagine it's a last chance saloon sort of situation for him. Fail there and he'll never get another Premier League gig again.

Man, I bet nobody got that one right in the prediction competition.

I'm really enjoying watching Arnautovic play at the moment, which is something I didn't think I'd be saying in the early part of the season.

I'm also absolutely fascinated by the Andy Carroll to Chelsea rumours. Penny for the thoughts of Michy Batshuayi, who as far as I can see has done very little wrong in the chances he's had for Chelsea. Part of me wonders if, in keeping with how we normally work, we're sensing some sort of swap deal of him in for Carroll out. We were desperate for him to join us last summer and Chelsea swooped in and nicked him under our noses, supposedly. Would be just like us to finally sign a target 18 months after they've played somewhere else.
    Last edited by Oliver; 01-15-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Wales picked Giggs above Bellamy. Bellamy gave his heart and soul for Wales, Giggs played in just the big games. The fans mostly donít like Giggs so heíll be on the backfoot.

Iíd rather Lambert.

Squared
    Two poor candidates, if you ask me. Bellamy has been hard to get on with throughout his career and never seemed to have a brain in his head anyway. As for Giggs... well, though it doesn't really get brought up anymore, he just isn't seen the same way now, is he? If you'll fuck your own brothers wife, everyone who plays for him has to know that he'll screw them over without a second thought.

Yeah, I'd probably pick Lambert over both of them if I were Welsh.

Just regarding the Chelsea Batshuayi deal; he reminds me of Welbeck or a young Lukaku while he himself was at Chelsea. Glimpses of what he can do, but he does miss some sitters. In a weird way, he is better than Carroll, more rounded, but carroll would probably get more goals in a season. What Carroll does well, he does extremely well, which is his aerial presence..

As for Wales, it's a pretty big step for Giggs, but he has the name value and the playing career to get an automatic jump in job prospects. However, I worry for new managers that go straight into International football. You can't sign or buy players, what you have now is likely what you will have in 2/4 years. You can make them work better as a team, but you probably depend on their club form to make them better.
    Last edited by Gooner; 01-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Interesting to see Arsenal seemingly moving to do big business this window. Not only selling Sanchez and Walcott, but bringing in Malcom and Aubameyang if rumours are to be believed. Possibly Mkhitaryan as well, as part of the Sanchez deal.

Is that really what Arsenal need, though? Having spent a bundle on Lacazette in the summer, who I've thought seems to be doing quite well for them, plus the emergence of Iwobi and Akpom, aren't there other areas they'd be better investing that money in?

I'll believe the rumours when I see them actually result in signings. We are linked with loads of players, but rarely pull it off. Of the rumours, I like the Aubameyang option, but again it's mainly the defence that needs strengthening. I hate to say it too, but a replacement for Cech wouldn't go amiss. He's deteriorated quite badly in the last year.

Mkhitaryan + cash is a decent deal for Sanchez, but ideally Sanchez would stay now that his dream move to City is off. Can't believe we are gonna sell our best player again to Man United, it would be unbearable.

To be fair, Iwobi and especially Akpom have not really emerged. Iwobi is getting game time, but seems to go through motions a little. Still prefer Welbeck or Walcott playing instead of Iwobi. Decent player to bring on, but when starting games I feel he's more of a weakness than a strength.

Akpom hardly gets a game and to be honest I see him moving elsewhere in the summer. Bit like Afobe, potential is there, but perhaps not enough for Arsenal.

It's gone a bit under the radar, but our injury list is once again staggering. Giroud, Cazorla, Monreal, Koscielny, Ozil, Ramsey (though just came back).... It's a massive problem and must be dealt with. That's at least 4 starting XI players out. It's no coincidence that every season we get multiple injuries at a crucial part of the season.

Squared
    It's a bit of an old story but Arsenal do really need the destroyers who'll let their flair players have a platform to win games.

I wonder if Everton might prove to be really damaging to Sam Allardyce's reputation. England took a huge chunk out of it, not least because it was all of his own making that there's nowhere for him to really go, even if he turns Everton around. But the one thing to remember is that he's never really failed at club level.

He's managed 8 club teams since becoming a permanent, full time manager. Of those, he's left four on his own terms - Notts County, Bolton, Sunderland and Palace - and in the other four, there's been at least some talk that the dismissal was unfair, and not reflective of the job he has done - Blackpool, Newcastle, Blackburn, and West Ham. The sole exception might be Newcastle, where the comment was more that he was never really given a fair opportunity to do the job in the first place. But he did well at Blackpool and Blackburn and was sacked anyway, and having got West Ham promoted he built a foundation to keep them in the division that was never fully appreciated by some at the club.

But that record of being a consistently good Premier League manager is under threat, and when you aren't the most popular man in the world anyway, and when you shot yourself in the foot and ended your own international ambitions, just how damaging would it be if he was to get the sack from Everton, and it'd be completely warranted? All of a sudden there's a real, genuine tarnishment on his club record to go along with the black mark of England. I've a feeling that it could - perhaps unfairly - end up being one of the defining things about how he's seen as a EPL coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    It's gone a bit under the radar, but our injury list is once again staggering. Giroud, Cazorla, Monreal, Koscielny, Ozil, Ramsey (though just came back).... It's a massive problem and must be dealt with. That's at least 4 starting XI players out. It's no coincidence that every season we get multiple injuries at a crucial part of the season.
    Seems to be a period for us, as well - Sakho, Fernandes and Antonio out long-term, Carroll, Fonte, Reid, Oxford, Hernandez all down with something for part or all of the rest of the month.

Is it a Christmas fixture list thing or something else?

I think there's something in that, but with Arsenal it's almost always a constant thing. We never have a full squad to depend upon. A lot of people have said it's to do with the training pitches as most of our injuries stem from training, or at least it appears so.

Ours was/is supposedly the same. Thing is we did up Rush Green recently and it was supposed to change it all. Maybe it's just down to injury prone players, you look at the list of guys and Sakho, Carroll, and Reid have always had a lot of injuries, either small or big, while Antonio hasn't been right since we rushed him back from a twangy hamstring last season.

If Chelsea are really offering £20m for Andy Carroll, yes please thank you, I hope Sullivan snaps their arm off. Batshuayi apparently off on loan to Sevilla though, which is a shame. I'd have liked a 6 month loan-to-buy with him on the deal.

Apparently Brighton in for Ginger Collins as well, couple of million quid. Bargain in my opinion, often looks like our best/most passionate defender. I love me some Ginge. Plus he's got that whole upside down face going on where his beard is long but his bonce is bald.

I don't often think about it, but sometimes I really miss Payet.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...urg-goalkeeper