Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Association Football 2017/18 - Premier League, Champions League etc.

Horrible result. He should go for that.

What I feel as a West Ham fan right now.

If Bilic, Koeman, Hughes, Clement and Wenger are all going to be gone soon, itís a pretty sad state of affairs.

I'd say Klopp more likely than Wenger...

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    In other news, £5m compensation for Southampton agreed with Everton over Koeman transfer. That'd make him the joint third most expensive manager in history.
    And 16 months later Koeman has been sacked. Add that compensation to the year and half they'll have just paid off and that's quite an expensive managerial mistake. Important given the position that they get the next one right. Seen them linked with a return for Moyes and also with Strachan, but some guys are hoping to get Ancelotti.

Big wins for the two North London teams over the two Scouse teams. Think Spurs will probably be happier even though Arsenal were away and scored more. And how about Huddersfield and United, eh?

Well well well.

Puel , Puel, Puel .

Squared
    Oli, Slaven bought himself a few weeks with that one?

It's possible. That second half was as good as we've played since Bilic took over. We also weren't bad in the first half, just didn't put it all together until the second (when Spurs weren't bad, just didn't put it all together like in the first).

It's kind of remarkable that Ayew isn't playing more for us - he must easily be our highest scorer since the turn of the year, and that's with him being away for the AFCON and having limited minutes.

I think the Palace game at the weekend will be even bigger now. A performance like that with a result suggests things might be improving. So we'll see. The games we have through until the end of November are ones we could get results in, even with Liverpool at home and Everton away. Could be a big month.

Rumour has it we won't lay Slav off because if we do he's due £2.5m, mind you...

Will Carroll be welcomed back with open arms or will he struggle to get in the team?

He seemed pretty influential on Wednesday, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him on Saturday, but I'm not sure it's sensible to put him through two matches in four days given his injury history. But then it becomes a case of who do you play? Can we start with Hernandez and Ayew? I don't really like us with just one of them up front. Looks like Diafra Sakho has had another recurrence of his back injury again, so our striker options are pretty limited right now in terms of numbers - I suppose we have Carroll, Hernandez, and Ayew who are considered as strikers. There's quality there, but not much depth, and if (I nearly typed when but let's stay positive) Carroll goes down injured we start to look quite slim. Could be time for Toni Martinez to step up...

(Diafra Sakho has such a chequered history with us I'm not sure if this is really a 'back injury' or just a convenient thing to move him out of the way. Ho hum.)

I...I can't. Absolute shit.

Two stupid mistakes from players that make them too regularly costing us, in my opinion. Ogbonna and Antonio seem to be these guys too often.

Antonio has such a huge upside, but it comes with the downside of seemingly running purely on instinct rather than any premeditation or planning. Weird, really.

Looks like Everton are in for Dyche. Should Dyche move right now when you compare positions in the league? Iím not sure I would. The Everton team isnít great and Burnley are looking very decent.

Squared
    I know I wouldn't, in his shoes. Honestly, Burnley haven't had the best recent history but they are still a grand old club. Founder members of the league. Twice league champions, and once FA Cup winners. I wouldn't be leaving there until it was an unambigous step-up.... although those jobs may never be offered to Dyche for various reasons, as we have discussed before.

What's wrong with the Everton team? Is it as simple as not having replaced Lukaku? Or something deeper?

I didn't think they bought especially well in the summer - at least not for the money spent on guys like Keane and Pickford, who are solid players but not ~£30m players even with the recent cost inflation. But then there are players like Gylfi who you'd think would be doing better than they are. Arguably the only signing to really make an impact so far this season is Rooney.

Is behind the scenes bad there, or is it something more simple like Koeman's tactics not being good enough? Could a new manager actually change things? One of the things with West Ham and Bilic is that I don't think anything is going to change unless the board goes as well, or at least we change the player recruitment process and make it more manager focussed with a DoF.

Squared
    I'm no expert on Everton (or the Premier League generally now we're not in it) but I don't think the rot can run that deep. Three different managers have finished in the top 7 in the last six years, so there must be some kind of club coherence, I'd guess. I suspect that either the players have lost faith in Koeman, he's alienated them somehow, or his tactics have been figured out by other managers and teams are doing a job on them. Or, as you say, it's the loss of Lukaku - or some combination of those factors.

I mean, Moyes record in his last few years was amazing (6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th) and if it was just him, then Martinez and Koeman wouldn't have both managed very strong debut seasons that had people singing their praises. So I think it's a very different situation from West Ham, where it does look like the problems are right at the core.

Does Unsworth now get more time?

Rubbish Saturday, great Sunday for football. Usually the other way round!

Reports of Bilic out today, with Moyes in on a six month deal.

Genuinely think that's the worst possible outcome for us.

David fucking Moyes.

Honestly.

Squared
    I'm surprised he's got the credit left to get that job, honestly. I know Sunderland wouldn't have harmed his rep, but it wouldn't have helped either, and I'd have put the Hammers a touch above them based on the last few years. Not surprised Slaven went and think it might be the best thing for all parties because he sounds like a beaten down man. But very surprised that they've gone for Moyes, and I say that as one of his biggest fans back in the Everton days.

Andy Carroll will be in the first team. Moyes will adore him. Until he buys Anichebe in January.

I expect by the end of January the West Ham team to be:

Hart
    Zabaleta, Collins, O’Shea, Oviedo
    Arnautović, Noble, Gibson, Pienaar,
    Carroll, Anichebe.

West Ham might as well start preparing for life in the Championship if they appoint David Moyes. I would of kept Billic but I'm not surprised they sacked him.

Just read that Andrea Pirlo has announced his retirement from football, shame he never came to play in the PL. I have no idea but was he linked to any of the PL teams throughout his career.

Moyes for Everton and Allardyce for Everton sickens me a bit. Give someone else a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    David fucking Moyes.

Honestly.
    Still hoping he goes to Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Moyes for Everton and Allardyce for Everton sickens me a bit. Give someone else a chance!
    It's that safe pair of hands (in theory) thing, isn't it? Both league experienced, both know what's needed in their roles, and both tactically solid.

I mean, even with Moyes, you can put an asterisk next to his time at Man United given it's taken years and multimillions to get back to looking like challenging. You can put an asterisk next to his time at Sunderland because the club seems to be circling the drain and arguably had been for seasons before he got there. So really the only solid evidence you have of him being in a positive situation in the league is his Everton experience. I might think he's not a very good or exciting appointment, and I certainly don't want his deer in headlights face near our dugout, but I can see why.

Allardyce speaks for himself.

I just wish we were being a bit more exciting with it all rather than jumping to Moyes. We've got an International break, so why not take a week, sound out some names, and see what happens? There's a lot of quality unemployed managers out there, or we could try for a highly rated Championship manager or something. Seems to me kind of pointless to get a safety first guy on a six month contract rather think long-term. But then, league survival and taking their 7% interest out of the club is all the chairmen care about, so there it is.

Squared
    I think Everton could do a lot worse than Sam Allardyce, to be honest, though I hear they are now in for Diego Simeone.

The only successful Everton manager over a period years in the last twenty has been David Moyes. When Moyes was at Everton and Allardyce was at Bolton, Bolton either finished above Everton or within 3-5 points of them. There's actually no reason to believe not only that he can't get them out of trouble, but also that he can't do just as well as Everton should really be doing.

Moyes is a bit more of a tricky one. Yes, you've got the two asterisks there, you also have the Sociedad stint in the middle which ended in failure, and you have to wonder how many asterisks you get before people stop caring about the conditions? I'm a little surprised his credit hasn't already dried up. I will say that he's got to succeed here if he wants to work in the Premier League again. Fail here, and it's lower leagues or maybe the Scotland job, but no top EPL club will touch him.

Interesting to hear Mourinho will have to sell at United before he can buy. He usually doesn't like to be put under those kinds of restrictions. Not great for him when City already look like running away with the league.

I was thrilled to see Moyes get the West Ham gig; he was, worryingly, one of the favourites for the Scotland job. West Ham kindly took the hit there, eliminating that possibility. (To my relief, Malky MacKay was also ruled out of the running by Stewart Regan before last night's game against Holland, albeit in typically farcical SFA fashion). I'd be worried if I were a West Ham fan. Moyes has looked lost in his last uno, dos... three jobs.

On Everton, Allardyce would be a fine appointment. I thought he was the man capable of taking England a step further. Obviously, the shady off-field dealings that led to his untimely dismissal intervened. Despite that, his track record is, largely, impressive. He seems to get the best out of the players at his disposal and is always capable of outdoing other managers tactically, something the Toffees are in desperate need of right now. Realistically, I don't think there's a better candidate available to them. Getting Simeone is surely a pipe dream.

Anyone think Unsworth is in with a shout?

I would rather Allardyce was in charge of England than Southgate. I was looking forward to us going into a major tournament with an actual plan and a concrete way of playing, even if it was a defensive one, at least Big Sam does set a team up to play to the strengths of the players we have.

I think he would be the best choice for Everton right now. As funny as it would be, I could also see Pardew ending up there in a weird way if they don't go for Allardyce.

Quote Originally Posted by Pringle View Post
    To my relief, Malky MacKay was also ruled out of the running by Stewart Regan before last night's game against Holland, albeit in typically farcical SFA fashion
    If I was Scottish Iíd have taken Malky. He did an amazing job at Cardiff and when heís not being racist, sexist or arrogant heís a decent boss.

And no, I donít think Unsworth has a chance.

Interesting to hear Mourinho will have to sell at United before he can buy. He usually doesn't like to be put under those kinds of restrictions. Not great for him when City already look like running away with the league.
    It's a tough one, that, as there doesn't necessarily seem to be a lot of deadwood in the Man United squad and Mourinho (if I remember rightly) has always stated he prefers working with a small squad. Other than Luke Shaw, who the writing seems to be on the wall for, and possibly one of their five centre backs, it's hard to see where any decent trimming would be done aside from on the fringes with guys out on loan (like Johnstone, Borthwick-Jackson, and Fosu-Mensah) and shifting on younger players who they might not think will make it and they may pick up a couple of million a pop for if they're lucky.

On top of that they have Carrick who must be nearing retirement, and Young and Valencia are both heading towards the twilight of their careers. They might sell those two, but they're not exactly going to add a lot to the wallet.

So unless they shift on someone in a position they're then targetting to fill with a new body, it's hard to see where they make the changes. Who they'd shift in favour of a notable upgrade to have them challenging is a question I can't answer. Possibly someone like Lingard or Martial?

Moyes has got Alan Irvine and Stuart Pearce in as assistants. I can see what they're going for, backing Moyes up with some managerial experience at the Prem level. Especially as Slaven had put together a team of relative unknown guys who were 'his' guys. Pearce you could consider as a nod to the fans, given that he's got a small cult following from his years in our shirt. Meanwhile the board has already started posting puff pieces on our official site to say how much more intense training is now, with quotes from players and so on. Essentially just continuing to spite Bilic by pulling up what was considered his weakness - intensity in training seemed to always be raised by guys who moved clubs.

Interested to see how we go this weekend. I think he has a near fully fit squad, possibly missing only Byram and Fonte, as Collins and Antonio should be due back, so we should see pretty much his first choice eleven from the get go. Might he have built bridges with Sakho and have him more involved? I want to see a front two of Sakho and Hernandez at least once this season for most of a game, as I think that's actually our best formation for forwards. How does he solve the sheer number of attackers we have that should be playing - Lanzini, Antonio, Arnautovic, Ayew, Hernandez, Carroll, and Sakho if his issues are resolved. Does he love Mark Noble - he made some comments in his press conference about him being a great servant to the club, but didn't seem to give much away on whether he was in his plans going forward - arguably our most dynamic midfield is Obiang alongside Kouyate with Noble on the bench. Does Moyes really want to start his first game as manager without Noble, though, given he's already got a bit of backlash just by being appointed?

Lots of questions to answer. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by Oliver; 11-14-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Fonte was on 5 live as I drove home to Wales (rugby) . Seemed like a really decent bloke but was also quite candid about the state of the club. Not sure if youíd have enjoyed it!

Coleman has left for Sunderland. Iím shocked. Itís a bit like a woman leaving her husband for a richer, older man whoís a bit pathetic. Which is what my wife did. Fuck.

Oh that was a joy to watch. Finally a complete 90 min performance from Arsenal.

Sadly all the other decent teams won too. Least we had some goals and the Prem is back. International football is dire.

Squared
    Any chance Arsenal are actually about to turn a corner or is that result just another false dawn.

Pulis out at WBA. Gary Megson in temporary charge. Can't imagine they're considering him as a long term option.

Ironically, the best man to get West Brom out of the predicament they are in right now is...Tony Pulis. Oh well - should free him up to be the new Wales manager, anyway.

In other news...FUCKING FINALLY!!!

Squared
    Is the takeover at the Toon actually happening then?

Any chance Arsenal are actually about to turn a corner or is that result just another false dawn.
    80% chance of a false dawn... However, no real Europa League commitments till next year (already qualified) so the starting XI should technically all be fresh for the Christmas period.

I still say top 4 is very achievable, only Man City to me look unbeatable at the moment. Top 2 would be overachieving.

Looks like Pardew for West Brom as bookies are slashing the odds.

Everton really need to hire someone. If they poach Silva I think Silva is making a huge mistake and leaving a better (not bigger) team.

Everton are the gift that keeps giving.