Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 NHL Season Discussion

Squared

2017/18 NHL Season Discussion

Back again for the new season. All discussion of the current NHL Season to go in here.

Couple of early notes.

Vegas off to a very fast start. Don't know if it's going to mean much over the longer term but still an interesting story for the moment.

I'm hearing that the sale of the Carolina Hurricanes is on the rocks and could have some fairly severe consequences for the franchise.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Very slow start by the Oilers. A little concerning to me. Thought they were the team to beat at the start of the season. Them and Toronto. I'm a Blues fan so I'm liking the start we've had.

Squared
    I don't actually know quite why things have gone as badly as they have for Edmonton. They're basically into clutch time already and need to have a massive November to recover from this start. Looking at their record in offence, penalty killing, power play, and how much they are conceding, they need to do it pretty much across the board, too.

You can start with Klefbom. He's been as useful as Stevie Wonder would be out there to start the season. He's been atrocious. He is Edmonton's number 1 defensive player and he needs to start playing like it. If him and Larsson can start playing at least half as well as last year it will start turning around. Once Andrej Sekera is back 100% from his injury I feel their whole defense will gel and find a rhythm. They can stop giving time to players that shouldn't be playing as much. I have no doubt Edmonton will go on a tear at some stage, but they can't leave it too late. As you already touched on the PP and PK of their is atrocious. Complete opposite to last year where that started well and they were 7-1. Then that dropped off and I think they lost 8 of the next 10. They played great as a team in the opening game. And ever since they don't seem to be clicking for whatever reason.

Squared
    .... and there's another defeat. I think it's the missing two power plays that is the most worrying, that they just don't like they've got the killer instinct to take advantage of the situations that they need to. Not optimistic about their chances against New Jersey next either.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Not optimistic about their chances against New Jersey next either.
    Blimey. Oh ye of little faith, eh?

I had a feeling that was going to happen after I saw you said that. Perhaps you should keep doing that.

Squared
    Clearly should have said it before the Detroit game. About the only person you can't pick on for that is the goalie. Could have been a lot worse if he hadn't made 30+ saves. Just outclassed, and hopes that the Devils game would have been a turnaround have crashed already.

Squared
    Sorry to everyone else, this is sort of becoming the Edmonton Oilers thread.

Two wins on the spin. Tough, overtime wins on the road, too. Some good performances from Talbot, Draisaitl and McDavid. It may be a bit too late in coming but at least it's looking like the whole season might not be a complete disaster.

McDavid has been playing great for them all season. He can only do as much as he can. He needs everyone else to start stepping up to help him.

Squared
    Got a win against Las Vegas, but I figure it's probably too little too late at this point.

Should probably turn this to teams who have a chance, see if that brings anyone else in here. Tampa Bay are flying, huh?
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Lightning have drafted and developed so well, for years and years and years. My family are big Sabres fans since we're from the area but my parents moved to Florida a few years ago and my dad started getting Lightning season tickets last year with a buddy to fill his live hockey need.

Sabres are terrible so I just root for Eichel to be a point-per-game player.

Squared
    When was the last time the Sabres had a good team, do you reckon? I'm no expert but I do remember them making more of a go of it when they had guys like Vanek than they ever have since.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

They had some nice runs after the lockout more than 10 years ago (back-to-back conference finals appearances) but haven't made the playoffs since 2010-11. The Sabres got screwed big time when they finished with the worst record in the league back-to-back years and didn't get the top pick either year. I'm against a draft lottery in every sport.

If a team wants to tank, then let them tank. It does more damage than good with most fanbases.

Squared
    The decline after not making the playoffs was pretty steep too, right? It was something like just missed out, to the middle of the pack the next year, to just being plain bad by 2013/14.

As for Tampa, isn't their ownership something to do with the Red Sox, Liverpool F.C. conglomerate? Probably not going to be a surprise they are run well if there's a lot of people who have a knowledge of sporting business all talking to each other.

The other thing that I've got an eye on is whether San Jose can keep up their good defensive record. I know they are only in third at the moment but they seem pretty well placed to make a run at it.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

There is 82 games in the season. They've played 18. It's no where close enough to say it's too little too late for them. They aren't the 3rd worst team in the west. They'll put things together soon enough. And if they don't, I still like Toronto as I said from the start. Tampa are playing great. They've had a great attack for the past couple years now. Liking the way my Blues are playing. Kings will be there. So too Penguins. From the teams up there atm that you don't usually see come the playoffs I'd like to see Colombus keep playing well and make a run.

Squared
    It's probably in a large degree the usual British sporting pessimism. Why assume things will turn around when you've seen no real reason to believe it. It's kind of our mantra. But at the same time, I'm largely going off the impression that I get from the Edmonton outlets that I follow, all of whom seemed to be of the opinion that November needed to see a real turnaround in results, or they'd need to go on some kind of miracle run. And they still have a losing record for the month so far, so if those guys (who I guess know more about it than me) then it follows on that I shouldn't expecting much.

Then again, big win streaks do happen. Just not normally for my teams.

In other news, I think I jinxed the Sharks.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Sharks gonna shark as they say.

Squared
    Gone down to the Bruins again. Since I pointed to them, they've gone 0-2 and shipped five goals. Definitely jinxed the Sharks.

Let's see if it happens again. Maple Leafs on a great run at the moment, looking like that early pick could be a good one (and goes some way to make up for you tipping Edmonton, I guess....)
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Squared
    Man, that was a bit of an embarrassment against the Blues. So I'm going to gloss straight over it.

I was trying to catch up on a bit of news and after a little bit about how the Strome for Eberle trade had backfired talk turned mainly to stuff about ownership. It seems like there's way too many franchises in the league right now, particularly in the US it must be said, that are either up for sale, about to be up for sale, or in some kind of financial trouble. Not good.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

My Blues do look good. Trying not to get too excited. We always seem to look good the past few years and then unravel come the playoffs.

Well I think it's cause America isn't really the powerhouse in the world. They simply care as long as they are the best. If not, they lose interest. Pretty sure it's the 4th on the list of the big four sports there.

Squared
    Oh yeah, I got that. In fact, while the others go up and down and move around depending on what is happening at the time, I think the NHL being the smallest of the big four is pretty much a constant. But even so, it's a surprise that so many people seem to want out. I mean, it makes you wonder how fans of teams like, say, the Hurricanes feel about the business model of the NHL if their teams are even a little bit under threat. Doesn't seem like they should be, somehow. Speaking of Carolina, kinda interesting that they are still winning some games with that whole situation up in the air.

Interesting that other than Tampa as favourites, the bookies don't have a clue what to think. Some have shorter odds on Toronto, some on St Louis, some on Columbus, some on Pittsburgh.... The only thing they all agree on is Arizona suck.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Squared
    Looks like an intriguing one between Hurricanes and Toronto the other night. Not that it's doing the leafs much good as they trail at the moment.

Also noticed the Blackhawks have raced out to an early lead.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

I'd be surprised if any of the teams leading after 1 lost the games today. Islanders should win the other game on atm too.

Squared
    I didn't see the Penguins racing into a three goal lead against Tampa Bay, though.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Nor did I see us doing that to the Wild mind you.

Squared
    I actually wasn't too shocked by that for what it is worth.

See San Jose got their first shutout since they smashed the Canucks. I wonder if my bringing this up will jinx their defence again.

Big goal just now for Carolina against the Preds.

You'll notice, too, that I'm trying not to dwell too much on the Oilers vs Sabres game. Doesn't make me optimistic about the Bruins later.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-26-2017 at 03:22 PM.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Who do San Jose have next? I'm gonna bet on them!

Yeah, may be time to worry about those Oilers.

Squared
    They have the Flyers next, so you'll probably get some decent odds on that.

No score for the Oilers so far, but yeah, kinda dead now. Just following generally rather than got any hope or expectations!
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Squared
    Well, shit. Just when you write them off, a couple of people we've not seen much of so far coming on in the third and getting it done.

Ah well. Still too little too late. Next game I have my eye on is the Jets and Wild, just to see how the Jets recover from that beating by San Jose.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Oilers won? Wow. Well hopefully that's the win they needed to get on a roll.

I like the Wild for the upset tomorrow. I'm just waiting for the San Jose's next game!

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    I like the Wild for the upset tomorrow.
    Not your best pick of the season so far. All very even for the first period but the Jets just went on a tear after that.

If the Sharks are the team who the Flyers beat to end that losing streak, I'm just going to have to shut up about their defence entirely.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Wasn't expecting that type of score line!

I took sharks -1.5! I trust you.

Squared
    Christ, I don't trust me
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Well it didn't start well after 48 seconds! But they seem to have found a rhythm.

Squared
    Yeah, they held on ok. So if you had money on that surely I get some kinda 'finders fee', right?

Great bit of commentary in the Oilers vs Coyotes. 'Heinous turnover', loving that description. Good win though, even if it was delivered mainly by the goalie and the crossbar. Took the chances on breakaway when they came, and it's two in a row.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Sure. I'll buy you a beer the next time the other is in the others country.

And the win streak has only just begun...

Squared
    The only time I'm ever likely to be down there is an Ashes/Lions tour....

I'm still not holding my breath. Exciting game but sneaking an overtime win that probably should have gone the other way against the only team lower than us in the pacific division doesn't exactly spell roaring comeback for the Stanley Cup, does it?

The way this thread has gone so far I might bandwagon on San Jose if they make the playoffs, just for the hell of it.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Well I may be over that way some time next year. Still up in the air.

They did it without McDavid playing well. That's a good sign. But they still have a lot of improvement.

What game am I betting on next?

Squared
    Oh god, the pressure!

Umm, well if it were my money it'd be bet squarely on the Blues, but I dunno if you are one of those guys who bets on their own team. If you don't, I'd go for Winnipeg but the Lightning over the Bruins seems a reasonable shot, too, given the issues Boston have got going on at the moment. There's potentially a couple of late injury returns which might factor in there, though.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"