Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017/18 NHL Season Discussion

Yeah I bet on the Pats all the time. Alright I'll back all 3 -1.5 and see how you go!

Squared
    Badly, as it turned out. Formbook turned upside down last night.

Don't bet on my opinions if you know what's good for you, even I don't do that anymore.

So there goes your beer! You owe me now if anything!

Squared
    Ha, you take my advice at your own risk.

Anyway, this might interest you. We've picked up the Aussie, Nathan Walker, on a waiver after he was cut by Washington.

Bit of a goalfest in our game against the Flames. Won a couple lately and that's another but we were so far off the pace we're not really moving up just yet.

But did anyone see the Habs just destroy the Red Wings?! They're on a real roll right now.

Wait. You go for the Oilers?

Squared
    Nah, just been pulling your leg for the last two seasons.

I'm so confused right now. Swear it's the first time I've ever seen you say "we" in regards to them.

Squared
    oh. Why do you think I was talking about them so much?

Cause I'm such a good judge.

Squared
    But yeah, got into them back when you always saw Canadian wrestlers getting cheap pops for wearing hockey jerseys. Found the glamour of the Gretzky era attractive, especially as it was historical - they barely made the playoffs for years at that point and when they did they crashed out early, so all that success was something to aspire to get back to, not to bandwagon on.

It was the team with Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Smyth, Salo, if that helps people to date it. I'd say I picked them in the late 1990s and really got into it around 2000.

Still have my Jersey with Weight on the back but it's seen better days now and the McDavid one is in better shape.

Well if I knew that I'd have been cheering for them even harder! Interesting to see how they go today. They've looked significantly better the last three games even with the lose in the middle.

Squared
    Yeah, they didn't look good against the Flyers. Seen a lot of questions being asked about Draisaitl lately, and that's before you get on to anything to do with the first choice goalie being out.

What else we got the last couple of days? Blues showing serious credentials by ending that Habs run in a close one. And a rare win for the Sabres in there against Colorado.

Trying not to get too excited about us. Happens every year it seems.

Winnipeg are the surprise for me so far.

Squared
    Maybe, but for the Jets I think it's a case of all the ingredients were there, attacking wise at least, and it had to come good eventually.

Not looking forward to seeing how we get on against the Habs. Looks like a recipe for a heavy defeat if I am honest.

Blues have Detroit who beat the Jets but are coming off a long streak of losses before that. They're probably the most popular team in the UK, do we know if there are any Red Wings fans on the board? All I know is that CNum is Sabres and Korean, wherever he is, is Islanders.

It was my turn to put the mock on a team. Of course the Jets were gonna lose the next game after giving them a rap.

They could surprise. They should keep fighting at least. They won't give up on the season.

Let's just say that's Maz's team!

Squared
    .... And we won 6-2. I am pleased but I can't call a damn thing this season!

I'd be back in praising the Sharks defence for that shutout if it weren't for the fact that half the league seems to have shutout Ottawa lately.

Golden Knights keeps rolling

Squared
    Yeah, that is the one thing that I didn't see any one call, but I haven't seen much sign of it letting up just yet either.

Makes you wonder just how far they can go.

Squared
    Well, after having lost the previous game badly to Nashville Lucic had a decent outing against the Wild. Getting back to winning ways.

Ducks inflict a rare defeat on the Blues.

Vegas keep on winning, but there's some pressure on them from the Kings now.

Squared
    You know what, the way their season has gone so far, having beaten Winnipeg the Islanders will probably lose to Buffalo now.

Meanwhile, the Bruins resurgence seems to be continuing. Since we beat them, they've barely lost a game, I think. And they're two up already, with Danton Heinan having a good outing so far.

OMG Flyers actually won a game and against the Lightning no less. Just in time for Pittsburgh too

Squared
    Didn't really work out for the Flyers.

Oilers lost even worse though. Blown away by the Kings in the third period.

Squared
    Wow, anyone see that Pittsburgh and Boston game? Was quite something.

Are we writing off the Oilers now?

Squared
    Oh yeah, we're done. Last decent game was against Montreal, but we've been beaten soundly at least four times since then. Just playing some really bad stuff.

I have reached the point where I am more just keeping an eye on the league generally as a neutral, now.

The score against Buffalo flattered us, but makes the game against NJ huge

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    Are we writing off the Oilers now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Oh yeah, we're done.
    I see a lot of quitters in this thread! Look, has Edmonton disappointed this year? Greatly. Has Cam Talbot turned into Ty Conklin? Absolutely. Is Ron McLellan a doofus? Totally. Did Peter Chiarelli maybe act too hastily in getting rid of Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome? Duh. All that being said, the season is only half over, the Oilers are still within eight points of the wildcard, their competition for the spot (Colorado, Minnesota, Anaheim, Calgary and Chicago) isn't particularly murders row and oh yeah, they still have the best player in hockey (who hasn't slipped at all). They need a bit of an overhaul, but I'm not ready to write the Oilers off for an eight seed just yet. And yes, I'm totally insane.

Also, I never knew you liked hockey Prime! I would've tagged you in the column I wrote today.

Squared
    Yes, you are totally insane. But I am loving the energy!

But yeah, long time fan here. Will have to check out your column.... No double entendre.

Bloody hell, Pete. Just when we are ready to write them off Iken has to swoop in here and try to give false hope. Watch the Oilers win from the 8 seed now.

Squared
    Hope quickly extingushed by Nashville.

Don't get me wrong, it's not impossible... but it is a ludicrously long shot now. The analogy I'd use is it's a bit like Burnley or Leicester in the Premier League and saying that because there's enough points there, they can still win the league. And yes, that's technically true, but not only do you need to win a number of games that appears to be beyond your ability, there's also the fact that so many other teams have to do badly above you to give you the chance in the first place.

I mean, Cult listed five teams there and although there's no obviously great candidate right now, you know that it'll be one of them. Expecting them all to fall away is... well, it's just a hope, and you can hope for anything but it doesn't make it real.

Bringing this to an end here because I'm starting to feel like The Grinch who stole the Stanley Cup.

Well I hope they do so Iken can shut up about that stupid Leicester story. I would assume it would be between the Blackhawks or Wild personally. Can't imagine the Blackhawks not having some type of run and being there at the end of the regular season.

I will never, ever shut up about the greatest story in the history of sports. 5,000-1 odds Leicester beat! And they did it by overcoming the only sports team more evil than the Anaheim Ducks; Tottenham Hotspurs (with an assist from Chelsea as I recall). When the movie is made Matt, I'm flying to Australia just so we can see it together. I'll even pay and throw in a Ducks hat for you!

Also, funny you bring up the Wild and Blackhawks having the best shot for the 8th seed considering they're playing each other tonight. I won't give up on the Oilers till it's mathematically impossible for them to make it, but I'll be watching this game tonight with great interest.

You've clearly been drinking tonight! And you still bloody owe me that Ducks hat! It's been like 3/4 years!

Well Blackhawks up after 1. I wouldn't be surprised if it finishes 1-0. But then wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a 4-3 game.

Turns out it was a very poorly played 2-1 Wild win. Yup, still feel good about Edmonton making a potential run if a few things are corrected.