Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017/18 NBA Season Thread

They're a very young team. They have two good players. But very rare you'll find a big time player leave for a team like Charlotte. They usually go to the big teams or cities that are bigger. So you'll have to factor that in to whoever you go for.

Squared
    That's not really a concern for me. Though I ended up following the Red Sox, and Villa are a team who can historically attract some players, I'm not used to supporting superstars anyway.

So I've decided that for the time being, I'm going to take this on more of an NFL style thing where I don't really have a team, and I just try and look a bit more across the board. If something happens a bit more organically, so be it. Pretty sure I can't do OKC - got nothing against the players and find the logo, kit and all that stuff quite appealing, but that documentary has put me off having anything to do with them while those owners are still in charge. Thought some of the bits where Sherman Alexie was talking towards the end was pretty powerful stuff (perhaps not surprising given his job).

Right then, I see LeBron got thrown out of the game for the first time. What did everyone make of it? I don't have enough context to really judge it.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 01-25-2018 at 06:58 PM.

@lopprimetime

You're up by 23. And you chase down an official to have a go at him for getting a non call. I'll admit I haven't given the play enough of a look nor do I know what he said to the official. He shouldn't have been in the game for starters but it's about time he got ejected. The top players are protected species who think they can get away with anything. As much I loved Kobe he should have been ejected a lot. LeBron is the biggest complainer looking for calls. Followed by Harden. From the little I saw on Twitter when it happened most seemed to agree that it was called for and it was about time he was ejected.

I think the bigger rep you have the more you can get away with it... See Real Madrid...

Watched OKC vs Jazz this morning. A bizarre little set up there at the Thunder. They got mullered all game long and just went off in the 4th quarter. It's what 2k18 seems to do to me in every All Time Domination game I am trying to get through.

Squared
    I caught the brief highlights of that game. Some great bits from Westbrook again, he really is must-see when he gets rolling.

Also saw Hornets - Magic, and there was some good stuff going on in the Howard/Walker combination.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    Caught some more highlights of the Hornets (growing on me) and I gotta say, although they lost to the Bulls and their's probably all kinds of tactical and technical reasons for that which fly over my head, it certainly seemed as if they played the better looking, more interesting stuff. I didn't really see the appeal of watching what the Bulls were doing even if it was successful, whereas there was some genuine excitement coming off of Howard and that physicality, and also from someone like Carter-Williams.

Maybe just the eyes of ignorance but that's what jumped out at me.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    Way things are going the Celtics won't be top of their conference for long, it seems.

@lopprimetime

Glad the Sixers are winning again. Saric is doing great in the last few.

Squared
    Speaking of the 76ers, any British or Europeans here going to the Nba London game against the Celtics in a week's time?

I didn't actually know they did this here. I imagine it'd sell well in London though.

Still trying to follow this a bit. Can't say I am a total convert yet but I think I am starting to get the game a little more. It looks a lot less random than it used to look to me.

Do seem to be keeping an eye on the Hornets more than anyone else.

I am sure Basketball used to be more popular around here. Starting to think it might be worth unsticking this and letting it live or die on its own merit.

Is no one around here likely to take much interest in the thread? Is it going to be busier once we get to the latter stages of the season, when the title is up for grabs and there is no competition from the NFL?

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 01-25-2018 at 06:59 PM.

@lopprimetime

Sixers on a three game streak right now, loving Joel Embiid's work. Ben Simmons not too bad either

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I am sure Basketball used to be more popular around here. Starting to think it might be worth unsticking this and letting it live or die on its own merit.

Is no one around here likely to take much interest in the thread? Is it going to be busier once we get to the latter stages of the season, when the title is up for grabs and there is no competition from the NFL?

Let me know what you think.
    Following on from this, there's not really enough to warrant keeping this stuck to the top and no one has really weighed in except Strife.

So I am unsticking it and anyone interested in basketball needs to get in here to keep it near the top, like any other thread.

@lopprimetime

Won 5/6 last games, good time to be a Philly Sports fan