Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 NBA Season Thread

2017/18 NBA Season Thread

All discussion of the 2017/18 regular season goes here.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-19-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Squared

2017/18 Season NBA Discussion Thread

Never really got Basketball, but happy to learn if people want to point out some of the rivalries, key games and the like to watch out for.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-19-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Mazza has slowly been getting into it. Warriors are still the team to beat. They'll hit their straps and go on a tear soon enough. Cavs probably the team to beat in the East. Granted I liked Boston and Washington to push them at the start of the year. Not so much Boston now.

Hey, I had a question about how Ben Simmons is going in the eyes of the NBA media. Here is Australia he seems to be doing really well but that could just be the local press frothing over nothing. What do you guys who follow it closely think of our next big thing?

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

He's going to be a legit superstar, bar injuries. I wanted to get his jersey at the start of the season, but can't bring myself to get a 76ers jersey. I hope he stays with them and molds them into a genuinely good playoff team. That city deserves it. We have a bad tendency here to make news out of nothing and froth over nothing as you say, that's not just a sporting thing, it's a news thing in general. Always have to twist it and make it about Australia somehow. I wouldn't be surprised if most countries would be like that mind you. But he's started great and hopefully his form continues.

Squared
    So I am kind of ambling through this and trying to get on as best I can. Seems the Celtics are the team to watch... or am I just getting too much from North East media?

Gee whiz they've played a lot better than I thought they would when Hayward got injured. Thought they were a great chance to knock off the Cavs in the East. I'm just wary come the playoffs as it is the Cavs and it is LeBron. But Celtics certainly are the best team playing right now.

So one thing I've noticed recently. Why is the NBA so soft. I've seen technicals in the last couple of weeks, one for a guy LOOKING at a ref after a call and another for a guy for looking and throwing a little trash talk at a player after dunking on him. I thought the trash talk was part and parcel of the game?

I've often got games on in the background when doing other things. Still not really picked a single team to get behind yet but there are some teams and players I enjoy.

Squared
    You don't have to do a lot to get called in any American sports, I've noticed. They're referees would be horrified by the old John Terry's Chelsea getting in their faces.

What teams and players are you into? I haven't really got behind a team yet. Funnily enough I used to think it'd probably be the Celtics, both because I'd already gotten into the Red Sox and then you've got a whole Boston thing going on. But if I'm honest I never developed much of an affection for them and now it'd just feel like being a glory fan....

They've just changed the way they play the game. Don't want players arguing. "Bad" look for the game or some crap. Same way you can't hang on to the rim if you make a dunk. Not sure if it's a technical but they will give you a foul for it. Bloody Brady get's in the refs faces constantly in games when he doesn't get a holding call when he throws it!

Oh come on! You can't go for the Celtics, Red Sox and NOT go for the Pats! I told Maz to support a team like the Timberwolves. May even be worth riding the 76ers train if they can all stay together.

Squared
    Yeah, but I fucking hate the Pats, so it is what it is. But I also don't really have an NFL team, as such (see the following sports from other countries thread for more on that one).

And as I say, I don't really go for the Celtics. It never translated to anything. I think it partly comes down to a lack of knowledge, because I had a bit of a basis in NFL and MLB and even the NHL before I started to form whatever allegiances I have. NBA, all I ever knew was the names of the teams and that Michael Jordan played for the Chicago Bulls. That's not a lot to build from. I'd need to have a better idea of who all the teams are, and probably a better understanding not just of the league but of the game, too.

Hey, no need for that language about my team! Fuck Aston Villa if that's how we're gonna be

Well it's worth picking a team and going through the season with them. Pick a young team with potential like Timberwolves or 76ers. Something like that.

Squared
    To be fair I've thought Fuck Aston Villa a few times over the last few seasons, too.

Hmm. I don't know. I'm not good at just picking. I'd need to know more about them, see if I felt a connection otherwise it'll just be the Celtics again and it won't take.

Y'know, who are those teams? Do they have a style of play, like a 'West Ham way' (is there even an equivalent in Basketball?) What are their histories like? What are the people playing for them like? Basically I'm not great without context, and I think not knowing and not having had a way in is why I've struggled with the game historically.

Why not try to take a bigger interest this year and see which team jumps out at you? Any particular players you like to watch? Do you like a more defensive or attacking team?

76ers were a team who tanked basically to get high draft picks over 2/3 seasons and believe that process would reward them. With the players they've drafted and the way they are playing this year it looks like it could have worked. Basically drafted a potential "super team" if everyone sticks together and they live up to the hype. So that's a team you probably won't necessarily won't to follow. I don't have a team myself. I was more a go for my favourite player. So I myself have to pick a team to cheer for unless I keep doing that. Much like the NCAA basketball I just pick a team at the start of the season and that's who I root for.

I was a Knicks guy back in the mid-90s but they seem a right state. I have another headaches with Arsenal. I do like Porzingis though. I do like the Wolves. They've been my go-to on GM Mode on 2k. I really like Towns. I find Westbrook fantastic value to watch, as is Giannis.

Done. Timberwolves is your team. It's been decided.

Squared
    I know they aren't winning much and it might be kinda random but finding myself most drawn to Oklahoma City Thunder. What can people tell me about them?

76ers not a terrible option. I know of some of their legends which is more than I can do for most.

Thunder have gone all in on this season in signing Paul George and Carmelo. Carmelo may stay beyond this season, I'm not sure the details about his contract. But Paul George is leaving. No chance he stays. He wants to play for the Lakers and he's let that be known. So a lot of people were surprised the Thunder signed him when they were aware he wouldn't stay beyond the one season. Paul George is my favourite player. And my favourite player before him was Kobe. So it'll be weird to start going for the Lakers again come next season. This season I'm cheering for the Wizards as I'm a big fan of John Wall and I can't bring myself to go for a team that has Westbrook on it. I can't stand the guy. Has to have one of the biggest if not biggest egos in world sport. So depends on what they do with Carmelo next season and if he stays or not. But they could be rebuilding around Westbrook once again.

Squared
    Haha, I have to admit you're still pitching this slightly above my head. I don't think you're grasping just how new to this I am.

One of the biggest problems I am finding is that getting into it is a bit difficult, as the TV rights are very locked down behind paywalls in the UK, and getting any highlights beyond a couple of minutes on the net is proving a challenge. Pretty much everything seems to be 'unavailable from your current location'. And with the games on at awkward times, I'm realistically going to be dependent on highlights.

That said, I did catch the brief clips of the OKC Thunder and GSW game, and found there was definitely some stuff to like in it. Can see why you're a George fan, he certainly stood out. But the sad thing for me is that because it came through very official channels it was reduced very much to the points and no more, which meant that the stuff I heard people talking about, the rivalry between Durant and Westbrook, I didn't really get to see much of for myself. It looks as though Russell dominated him from the clips and the guy seems to play with more charisma than most, but I'd have liked to have seen the flashpoints to get more of a sense. But guess I timed looking at them well, huh? Certainly glad I got that in BEFORE the game.

Also had a look at the Minnesota highlights, as they'd been mentioned. Probably a really obvious note to anyone who gets the game but was struck with how much they seemed to dominate through making the most of rebounds, and that's about as much of a technical point I can make on one minute's worth of footage and minimal experience.

Squared
    Saw that your Wizards are out ahead at the minute. Charlotte and San Antonio looks like the more interesting one, well set up as it stands.

Yeah that's the best thing about here as games are usually on at 10am-12:30pm. That's the way it works for most sports here. Always get them at a good hour which helps.

OKC looked great in that game. Warriors were flat. Tad surprising with it being in OKC you'd have thought they'd have been up to the challenge but they weren't for whatever reason. They've been a tad disappointing all season the Warriors. Well for the lofty heights all the professionals deemed them to have.

Timberwolves are a very physical team. They can be explosive on offense. They are a young team and can run the floor and run other teams legs into the ground. But they're coached by Tom Thibodeau. Very much a defensive minded coach. He's the ex Chicago Bulls coach and that's what they built their game on for years.

Out to a nice lead at half but think the margin will get pulled back. Be surprised if it's a win by more than 3/4 by either team. Spurs should win that game. Raptors will pull away in theirs and should win comfortably.

Squared
    They got beaten handily by the Mavericks (which reminds me, their used to be a columnist around these parts called Mavsman, guess he was a fan of theirs, huh?) but in watching that one I found that even in defeat there was something more.... impressive, about the way that Westbrook played the game compared with the Mavs guys. They were playing an efficient brand of basketball that was clearly getting it done but just doesn't appeal to me at all. When he got on the ball and started moving, it was a bit like back in the day when a Cantona or Henry got it - you sat up and paid attention because you know he could be going past someone. A bit like some of the slips of Allan Iversen in the first few minutes of that documentary. I know that they'll have been selected for a reason but they still look amazing.

I imagine Maz'll be happy now that you've nominated the Timberwolves as his team. Don't think they've lost since?!

I think I remember Mavsman myself actually too.

So are you leaning towards OKC being the team you follow more closely than others this season? Russ does remind me a bit of AI at times.

He should be! But he probably hasn't realised. Disappointed the Wizards gave up the lead and lost the game yesterday.

Don't do it. OKC is the devil.

Squared
    Why's that? See, I need to know this stuff before I commit!

I'll let Mourn take this one and explain it but OKC and Russ himself are the devils in their own ways.

Born and raised in Seattle. That's why.

Squared
    See, now that is the one thing that put me off initially. Generally I have no time for relocated teams at all. Still siding with Wimbledon fans against MK Dons.

But from the bit of research I did it didn't sound as fraught as, say, the Browns' move to Baltimore. And plus it's such a more common part of American sports I figured it was less of a concern.

But those may both be wrong. Willing to listen.

Squared
    Ok, so I have watched a bit of this. Going to watch the whole thing when I have a bit more time.

Mourn, and anyone else who this applies to... What do you do when your city loses a team? You stop following a sport, can you just pick a new team? I always said if my soccer team were relocated then I wouldn't be able to follow another team anywhere near the top of the pyramid, but I think US sports works differently and relocation happens so much more often, I just don't know where that leaves the fan.

Anyway, I think we're probably back to square one.

Durant has been one of my favorite players for years. Couldn't follow him. Wouldn't feel right. I didn't get sucked back into following the league until Curry first started to blow up. Since they both play on the same team, I'm a Warriors fan by proxy.

That's a very good question. Much different to with the Lakers and Kobe and how I went for them cause of him, I've always been a Patriots fan from when I was a kid and love them as the team even though Brady is my favourite player and probably sportsman of all time for that matter. So if he was to go play for someone else they would remain my number one team and whoever he played for would be my second. But if the Pats were to leave New England I'd wholeheartedly follow them. Guess it's different cause I don't live there. But I have mates who were Charger fans who stopped going for them when they left San Diego and who now go for Oakland. Say in Rugby League here though, I live on the Gold Coast in Queensland and we have an NRL team in the top flight here called the Gold Coast Titans but we also have a Brisbane Broncos and North Queensland Cowboys team within Queensland too. If for some reason the Brisbane Broncos, who I go for, were to leave and go to another state I couldn't pick another team to go for and probably wouldn't support them anymore.

Squared
    I guess that if you do take a new team that's out of state, then it's probably not as strong an attachment as the first either right?

I also know well enough that at this point I'm just plain not allowed to walk in and pick GSW. That shit just won't fly.

Maybe I should steer clear of any relocated, teams, just to be safe. That'd rule out not just Thunder but Memphis, New Orleans, the Kings, the Clippers, the Wizards, the Rockets, the Hawks, the Pistons, the Royals, the Lakers, GSW, and Utah Jazz. Man, they just can't stay put, can they?!

You can take New Orleans off the list. They only relocated cause of the Hurricane. But they have a stupid name so keep them on the list lol.

Squared
    I have them on for relocating from Charlotte, not for leaving New Orleans when the hurricane hit.

Well go for Charlotte! Get back at them.

Squared
    It's not that easy for me. You change every year it seems but if this takes for me, that'll be it then. But I can't rule it out....

Well I don't want to just go for the Lakers. Get enough shit as it is going for Pats as you get labelled as a bandwagon fan. Plus, can't go for a Boston team in one and a LA team in another sport.

Squared
    If you want to avoid being labelled a bandwagon fan then you need to follow, I dunno, the Pacers and the Bills. If you pick teams that are on top when you start following them it's going to be inevitable. Thousands of Pats fans here because they were winning Superbowls when the SKY TV coverage got really good, and they ask me how many bad seasons they'd have to sit through before I'll stop thinking of them as bandwagon fans, and the honest truth is probably never. It's like all the worldwide Man United fans... I'd have way more respect if they happened to fall in love with Preston North End or Accrington Stanley....

But yeah, I'm not good at chopping and changing. I'm either all in or a relative neutral, so I need more info. I had it with Baseball and Hockey because I knew a bit about them.

I did like the Pacers! When George was playing for them! Lol. Loved the team of him, Stephenson, Hibbert, West and Hill. Thought they could have beaten the Heat when LeBron was there but they just never could. And I was a young kid when I started following the Pats, 8/9 years old. No idea what bandwagoning back then was. Well, I'm not a Man U fan, am a Chelsea fan. Guess it's not much better really. All those Man U fans wouldn't have heard of teams like that. And they'd only follow the EPL. Anyone outside the UK and more specifically England I'd say the vast majority of fans wouldn't know those teams.