Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Season NFL Discussion

Everyone gets ridiculous home field calls.

Squared
    Guess you're a Seahawks guy then... And I am just now remembering our conversation in the basketball thread, and that makes more sense.

So, Seahawks season. Thoughts so far?

Good take on the Raiders, bit shocked that they have got to this point themselves. KC collapse has a lot to do with it though, and we did cover that at some point.

Russell Wilson's amazing. Him and Bobby Wagner be holding it down this year. Wagner should win Defensive player of the year, and you can just hand the MVP to Wilson right now.

This team has no business being 8-4.

Squared
    It's funny because after the first couple of weeks, the games they've lost have been very tight. It's not like they've been well beaten for some time now, and yet they're still flying a little bit under the radar.

Fun thing about the Vikings is that you look at their schedule, and there's not a lot of stiff opposition left. Not completely inconceivable that they could end up 14-2.

Rams and Eagles is definitely an interesting one to look out for.

I'm optimistic about the rest of the Vikings schedule as well. We have a good history against Carolina, and the final three games are all winnable. The X Factor with Green Bay is whether or not Rodgers is back. If I'm Green Bay, and it looks like I'm going to miss the Playoffs I don't risk Rodgers getting any further injuries. I'm surprised he's back already as it is.

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself with the Vikes, but it's been fun as hell so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mourn View Post
    ...you can just hand the MVP to Wilson right now.
    Not Brady for doing what he's doing at 40 years old?

I want to know why Case Keenum isn't even in the discussion

Because his numbers are mediocre? Game manager numbers.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepster View Post
    Not Brady for doing what he's doing at 40 years old?
    If I were going for a QB it'd probably be Brees for having almost as many passing yards in a weaker overall offence.

No defensive players in anyone's mind? Would Demarcus Lawrence or Kevin Byard be getting more attention if their team's had better overall records?

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Because his numbers are mediocre? Game manager numbers.
    Let's look at Tom Brady vs. Russell Wilson vs. Case Keenum

Keenum- 9-2, 68% Completion Rate, 2703 Yards, 7.5 Yards Per Attempt, 16 TDs, 5 INTS (One Less Game)
    Brady- 10-2, 68.5% Completion Rate, 3632 Yards, 8 Yards Per Attempt, 26 TDs, 4 INTS
    Wilson- 8-4, 62.4% Completion Rate, 3256 Yards, 7.4 Yards Per Attempt, 26 TDs, 8 INTS

With one less game, I'd say with those stats he should at least be in the conversation. Maybe not winning it, but his numbers are much better than "game manager". You could argue Wilson has additional rushing yards as well, but Keenum can keep plays alive with his feet as well. Brady can't do that for sure. Sure Brady is doing what Brady does, but much like the argument for all of them, the Vikings wouldn't be where they are without Keenum playing lights out football. Last week he went 13-13 in the second half for 120+ yards and a touchdown. The dude is playing MVP-like football and has numbers to back it up. He's much more than a game manager.

Squared
    That got me looking at QB rushing yards, and Wilson (and Newton) have better numbers than some RBs. Not surprising they are such weapons.

For what it's worth, Keenum has half as many as Wilson, but still five times as many as Brady....

It's between Brady and Wilson as far as I'm concerned. Heart says it's Brady's to lose. Head says I can't split them. Wilson has contributed over 80% of their total yards all year. And pretty sure he's been involved in all TD's this year bar one. But what Brady is doing, let alone how old he is, is just being Brady. Which is like people saying it's LeBron being LeBron. Doesn't get the credit they deserve. Granted Brady has got that this year. I'll be surprised if it's anyone other than them. And I expect it to be Brady. The Steelers game might be the one that decides it next week. Brady is not only the best QB of all time but he's the best pocket QB of all time. He doesn't need to run, plus unlike Wilson he has a ridiculous amount of good RB's to hand of to.

There's a reason Brady doesn't run very often. He runs like a baby elephant.

Squared
    I mean, I always come back to how much you have to factor in the playing with better players, in a better more established system, when it comes to Brady.

If Wilson keeps doing what he's doing, with all the injuries to the defense and they overtake the Rams for the divison (Rams should have beat them the first game ) Then I think Wilson has to win the MVP. I always look at it like where would a team be without someone. Heard a stat today where Wilson's passes outside the pocket is 40 more than anyone else. He has like no offensive line, a defense that's held together by duct tape. He's the MVP

Not saying Brady isn't great but he hasn't elevated any more than he usually does. Wilson has had to carry the Seahawks on his back this season.

Brees last week showed how much the Saints need Alvin Kamara. Vikings have a damn good defense so Keenum is out. It really is down to Brady and Wilson.
    Last edited by Lazyking; Yesterday at 12:55 PM.

And there goes the Eagles season. Such a shame.