Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Season NFL Discussion

We're gonna need Gronk this year. I don't think we can afford to lose him with no Edelman. I'd be very surprised if we aren't there come the championship game. I think it will be us vs Eagles in the Super Bowl. And I do think we'll win. Starting to find our way on defence a lot more now so we're only going to improve there as well. And Brady is Brady.

At the start of the season, as silly as it sounds with the team I follow, I'm just happy if we reach the playoffs. Obviously we'll do that this year. After that, it's almost a lucky dip. Anyone can knock anyone off at any time, so I won't say we will win it. But I'll be disappointed if we're not at least in the conference championship. If we lose to the Steelers that week, c'est la vie.

Nah, anyone but them.

Squared
    Funny, they're the one team that I think can stop you before the Superbowl. Don't see the Pats losing before that, or to anyone else in the AFC unless they have a major off night. But I don't like the Steelers either, so it's kind of a frying pan and fire deal for me.

I'm not sure who you'd be worried about facing in the Superbowl from the NFC, though. You'd probably still fancy yourselves against the top form teams from Minnesota and Philadelphia, if only because Brady will trump the relative rookies. The one guy you'd maybe be more scared of would be Drew Brees, as he's been there and done it before, so maybe the Saints are the ones to avoid?

Nah, Saints don't scare me. For whatever reason they just don't. Don't think they're as good as their record suggests. From the NFC the teams I'd be wary of facing are the Eagles, Vikings, Rams and then the Saints.

Squared
    Interesting. Sounds as if you're more worried about the unknown quantities. I mean, the Eagles are surely the team to be worried about at the moment, on paper, though there's going to be major questions around how they'll cope with the sharp end of the season.

I think I was thinking you wouldn't want to face the Saints mainly because of Brees, and because of the fact that generally the most experienced QB has won the SB more often than not in recent years. There was a run there around 2010 when it was the other way around, and there's always the odd result that breaks the pattern, but generally over the last five years or so that's the way it seems to have gone.

I'd like to see the Eagles myself, mainly because the Patriots always win against animal-name teams. It's those pesky human-name teams we tend to lose to.

Squared
    I love the transition in Sheep from the last page to this one, from the pure numbers guy to animal name superstition guy. Sports'll do that to you, y'know.

I don't know how much American traffic we'll get in here today, but I can see Rob and Steve being happy at least - probably going to be a win for the Vikings against the Lions and for Dallas against the Chargers, I'd have thought. I think, looking at the run they are on and the fact that they've still got to play the Seahawks and the Eagles, that if they want to make the playoffs this is very close to being a 'must-win' game.

Squared
    Sorry for double posting, but I don't have access to the game and hearing it's all kicked off in the Raiders - Broncos game?

Yeah, Crabtree and Talib were covering each other and went out of bounds and scuffled to the ground and it escalated from there and got them ejected.

Well it certainly escalated to worse. I tagged you in it on Twitter.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    As a Raider fan it's easy for me to say Talib started it. I know Talib is saying Crab's hit on Harris Jr. the play before started it. To me, that's a punk move on all parts. Crab because he's starting shit, and Harris Jr. for snitching. If you gonna get goons on someone, handle it yourself first. And for Talib, he should have told Harris Jr., you get him back and I got your back. But instead, Talib and Crab had their thing. Crab poked him in the eye like he was Roddy Piper, that shit had me laughing. I still am mad 'cause we can't lose Crab. But he had no choice but to man up and box, because the second time someone snatches your chain you have to throw hands.

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.

Squared
    Raiders man, eh? What have you made of their season so far?

In other news surprised at how close the Packers pushed the Steelers. Makes me think I might have overrated their chances against the Pats.

That all started with Talib for me. Harris didn't necessarily have to say anything about the hit. All Talib had to do was see it. But I think that's just an excuse. Talib and Crab literally seem to hate each other. And it seems it has absolutely nothing to do with football. It seems like it's something personal. Stemming back from the first time this semi happened. Talib was a bitch for breaking his chain again. No reason to do that at all. But he did that deliberately both times. And that's what escalated it here. I could only imagine how much those chains cost. Granted you could probably get them fixed but that's not the point. I'm glad he never played for us in the Super Bowl. Never liked the guy as a person.

Think the Steelers went in expecting an easy win. Had the mini GOAT been playing I think they would have went in fully switched on. But think they would have lost regardless. Don't think you really underestimated their chances against us. They're the only team who could beat us I think. Granted I don't think anyone in the AFC could.

Squared
    Well 'any given Sunday' and all that, and they have already lost to the Chiefs once. But I concede that 9/10 outcomes I can see have them winning the AFC championship. And now I need to shower.

Ravens and Bills wins keep them in the playoff hunt. Would prefer the Bills and Jags to make it personally but can see the Ravens getting there. Just because that seems to be my luck...

I'd love to see the Jags there. Would be good to see a team that's not always there. I like that the four NFC leaders are all teams who didn't make the playoffs last season. Can only be good for the game.

Squared
    Pretty ruthless by the Giants. Sad to see Eli's career there probably end this way, but y'know, we'll always have 2008. Nothing will ever be able to diminish that.

I like 'Plan more than you today.

Well I don't know how you live with yourself.

Squared
    That's literally how I feel about anyone who doesn't realise that Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are clearly pod-people.

Usually it bothers me when someone loses their spot, but not with Eli. He's my least favourite sportsman by far. I can't even watch highlights of that year.

Squared
    That was by far my favourite game, ever. I'm not even trying to wind you up or anything. I cannot tell you how much I hated the idea of all the loudmouthed Pats fans I knew going on about being undefeated, so it was a huge mix of joy and relief, all wrapped up with what was a really entertaining game. So yeah, I predictably have almost the exact opposite relationship with Eli from you.

I hated Peyton. But I loathe Eli. I was so glad we didn't have to play them every year like we did with Peyton. No idea who the Giants have this week but I'd expect them to get touched up.

Squared
    Giants have the Raiders.

I kinda prefer Eli, even though he's not the player his brother was. But two Superbowl appearances against the evil Empire, and two wins? Can't argue with that.

I mean, the thing for me is that I got sick with everybody jumping on the Patriots bandwagon just after the millennium, when all the coverage exploded in the UK and they were on top. As someone who was already following the game, they bothered me, and it's set me on this course (though certain people at the Pats are annoying enough that if you don't like them to begin with, they will continue to rub you the wrong way - they are not, like the Man United team of 2007-2009, a team who will win you over). I didn't really like them in the 1990s either, but I didn't care - they were just another team. But if you look at the period that they've bothered me, they have been to seven Superbowls. They've won five, which is bad enough, but the Giants have been the only team to have stopped them. So the only respite I have had from the people who came in later and just picked the team who were already on top and then acted like they knew it all has been from Eli Manning and the NY Giants.

I mean, it's bad enough that the two most successful teams in SB history are my two least favourite, but the difference between the Steelers and the Pats is that I've had to live through the Pats success. The Steelers are usually pretty decent but outside a three year run where they won two (sandwiched only by the first Giants win over the Pats) they've not dominated in my time with the game. A lot of that is history.

Agh well maybe they won't get touched up.

Who annoys you from the Pats?

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    That's literally how I feel about anyone who doesn't realise that Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are clearly pod-people.
    I could list others but really these are the constants and it's where everything would keep coming back, so why worry about the minnows when they are the big fish?

Well Tommy wants to be around for another 5 years! You're really gonna love the day he hangs them up.

Squared
    Ugh, five more years. But yeah, I will be ecstatic to see the back of him in a way that I won't be with, say, Roethlisberger.

I mean, the one good thing is that focuses most of the idiot fans in Britain on one team so it leaves me free to enjoy most of the league free and clear.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    I'd love to see the Jags there. Would be good to see a team that's not always there. I like that the four NFC leaders are all teams who didn't make the playoffs last season. Can only be good for the game.
    Going to leave the NE bashing for a bit and try to make more of a football point, which is that if this is going to happen the Jags need to get the run going again. There was some ugly stuff in that Arizona game.

Haven't knuckled down on the games this week. Who do they have? If they get a bad team could be the kickstart they need.

Squared
    They have the Colts, who are an interesting proposition there. They've got problems of their own but I don't know if they are the best team to try and get the run going against, because there are plenty of teams (more than half the league) who give up more yards on the ground.

I haven't been following things as closely this season as I have in those gone by, mostly due to my lack of having any sports channels. I'm curious, though, as to whether the Eagles' loss to the Seahawks should be viewed as a one-off thing or a chink in the armor? In other words, is this a scenario where Philly has been figured out or "exposed" or was it just a bad game with no likely larger implications?

26 letters... 26 columns... 26 days...

Think it was more just they didn't execute. They had 2/3 passes that if Wentz could have hit would have been run in for TD's. Plus Seahawks got some ridiculous home field calls. Still think the Eagles are the team to beat on that side. Them or the Vikings. Don't think the Seahawks could win on the road.

Squared
    Sorry Steve, have to give my thoughts on that once I've seen some highlights, but I just wanted to drop in and post that the Giants have sacked McAdoo, and there's now some reports doing the rounds that Eli could start against the Cowboys in the next round of games. That's quite the turnaround for the past week.

Plus Seahawks got some ridiculous home field calls.
    They ALWAYS do

I think the Vikings are the best team in the NFC and it disgusts me.

This really feels like one of those years where a random team could wind up rolling into the Playoffs on a hot streak and do some damage. In other words, I'm not quite so sure that any of the top teams in the league are as untouchable as they seem.

26 letters... 26 columns... 26 days...

Skol!!

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Raiders man, eh? What have you made of their season so far?

In other news surprised at how close the Packers pushed the Steelers. Makes me think I might have overrated their chances against the Pats.
    Raiders season, I have no idea what happened but we are LUCKY to be tied for 1st right now. Hopefully we can hit a hot streak and win out. I think it's between us and the Chargers, with most people wanting to see Rivers finally lead the Chargers to the promise land, which wouldn't happen because of Brady.

That all started with Talib for me. Harris didn't necessarily have to say anything about the hit. All Talib had to do was see it. But I think that's just an excuse. Talib and Crab literally seem to hate each other. And it seems it has absolutely nothing to do with football. It seems like it's something personal. Stemming back from the first time this semi happened. Talib was a bitch for breaking his chain again. No reason to do that at all. But he did that deliberately both times. And that's what escalated it here. I could only imagine how much those chains cost. Granted you could probably get them fixed but that's not the point. I'm glad he never played for us in the Super Bowl. Never liked the guy as a person.

Think the Steelers went in expecting an easy win. Had the mini GOAT been playing I think they would have went in fully switched on. But think they would have lost regardless. Don't think you really underestimated their chances against us. They're the only team who could beat us I think. Granted I don't think anyone in the AFC could.
    Talib, I actually like him, but I hate he's a Bronco.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR View Post
    Skol!!
    If the Vikings finally win it all, I'd be shocked, but sort of happy. Living in Minnesota, I HATE how negative the fans are here. "Winning never happens here... blah, blah, blah." I want them to win so the fans can shut up!

Has Vince McMahon Lost Confidence in Roman Reigns.