Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Season NFL Discussion

Squared

2017 Season NFL Discussion

Discussion of the current season of the National Football League here.

Dallas gets the Brady treatment and Jerry Jones is now the NFLs greatest hypocrite haha.

I didn't realize how much I missed football until it was there in front of me again. I'm a big fan but not on a huge level, you know? Like, I didn't watch any preseason games this year and basically went into yesterday with only a cursory bit of knowledge about what had gone on over the course of the offseason.

But man, do I love watching the game.

I was hit with a few surprises. The Pats taking a beating like they did was unexpected, but man, what the fuck was up with the Rams straight up mauling Indy?

Also, go Cowboys.

Squared
    That's basically my experience of it, too. I come back in around this kind of year and see as much as our coverage allows me to see.

The guys on our highlights show have said that Indianapolis are likely to be pretty terrible this year, with only the more optimistic guy (Jason Bell, formerly of the Cowboys, Texans, and Giants) saying that they'd maybe have enough on defence to offer something.

Speaking of the Cowboys - people who know more about it than I do, were they really good at stopping them, or did the Giants just execute badly?

Couple of surprises in the AFC North. Browns look a fair bit better this time around, while the Bengals look a whole lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by YourAyatollah View Post
    I was hit with a few surprises. The Pats taking a beating like they did was unexpected...
    That was my fault. I was there. There's a sporting hoodoo that follows me to any sport arena I travel to and it destroys the home team. I was at the Giants v Dodgers baseball game in SF a few years ago where the Giants got trounced 12-0. I'm convinced that I'm a curse.

Squared
    I know plenty of people who'll chip in to get you a Pats season ticket if that's the case.

I know highlights make any game look great, but it did look as if that Chiefs and Eagles game had it all. Really enjoyed that one.

Big blow for the Cowboys though, and first real set back for them in a while.

EDIT: So, how many games does Ben McAdoo get to lose before he gets the sack? And how are the Raiders going to cope without Derek Carr?

Also, why, after everyone praised their recruitment in the offseason, can the Browns still not win a game?

Good question in regards to McAdoo, unless they really turn things around, which I personally can't see, I can only see them winning maybe 4 games from their remaining schedule. They have the bye after the Seahawks game in three weeks. So if they're 0-7 or 1-6 after the Seahawks I think that's when they'll give him the boot.

They'll be ok without Carr as long as he's only out two weeks. Manuel looked good last week when he came in. Don't see them losing to the Ravens this week or the Chargers the following week. But think they'll lose to the Chiefs if Carr isn't back. Which I'm not sure he will be. If they go 2-1 they should look at that as a great outcome.

Browns will probably come out and win this week after the Jets looked half decent last week.

Squared
    Hard to see where Giants are going to get any wins if they are losing to the Chargers.

Browns pushed them pretty close in the end, but couldn't actually get the win. Jets actually doing OK, which is a real 'does not compute' moment for me.

Would you say that the Raiders loss to the Ravens was a bad result?

Two final thoughts - Rodgers is awesome, and I didn't see that Steelers result coming at all.

Yep, and now without Beckham and another player that I can't remember it's going to be very very hard. The 4 games I said may even be a stretch.

Yeah, well I think the Jets are going to get a bit of a touch up this week. Think we'll beat them very comprehensively. 10 days to fix the defence, Gronk back. I'll be shocked if we're not winning by close to 20.

Yes, definitely. Mind you, they were up 14-0 within 5 minutes. So besides that the Raiders did make somewhat of a game out of it.

Rodgers is a freak. Two players you don't want leaving time on the clock are him and Brady and they made that mistake. Man I don't know what's going on with the Steelers but I've said it for years if you take away Brown they'll struggle. 3 of the INT were intended for him. It's much like the Giants. They have one receiver that will hurt you and you just need to take him out.

Squared
    I say someone suggesting that the Jags should try and trade for Eli Manning the other day, but I don't think anything is going to come of that. He probably will retire when he leaves the Giants rather than going anywhere else. Losing Beckham is a huge blow, for sure. Could see them finishing with only a couple of wins this year.

Hearing that Elliot's suspension has been reinstated, in what's going to have a huge impact on the Cowboys. Given that they were already on the back foot having failed to get over the line against Green Bay, I think you've got to say the door is wide open for Philadelphia in the NFC East this year.

I wouldn't be trading for him period. He has to be up there with Cutler as one of the worst QB's this year. Just go with your future QB if I was Jacksonville and give him a year to flourish

Good. He never should have been allowed to play from the get go. It annoyed me he was even allowed to play. Eagles have started off this season really well. Hopefully they continue on with the way they are playing. But Zeke has what I always thought he would this season. 2nd season syndrome. Never thought he'd play like he did last year. Everyone has adjusted for the way he runs the ball. Should have been like that last year too. But they let him run it in his unique way and couldn't stop it for whatever reason. But this year teams seem to have it figured out.

Squared
    I think the logic was that he's done well with Coughlin before and if you get him some better protection then the qualities will return.

Fair few results I didn't see coming this week. Giants off the mark, loss for the Packers, Kansas losing, Chicago winning...

So the NFC had a major shakeup yesterday with the apparent season-ending injury to Aaron Rodgers. He was out 7 weeks in 2013 when he broke his LEFT collarbone. This is his throwing arm, which should make things that much more difficult, and more than likely end his season. As a Vikings fan, while I never want to see anyone hurt, I'm quite optimistic about our chances of winning the NFC North now, but with arguably one of the best players in football now done for the season, the NFC is wide-open.

as a packer fan, the season is over.

Even if the division sucks that bad (it does, I think even you vikings fan can admit) and the pack make the playoffs, they aren't going anywhere without jesus christ. That's why they need to sign Tebow asap.

seriously though, packers defense still blows. Hundley will have to be more than serviceable. McCarthy is going to figure out a hell of a gameplan to make it through the season. The Bears/VIkes/Lions have to really suck to give the division to the pack.

So Kaep is suing all 32 NFL teams for not giving him a chance. I'm not saying he's worse than every other QB in the league, but it just comes down to him not being good enough for a team to sign him and deal with the BS. That, and i've seen multiple reports that he was offered 3 different contracts and turned them all down due to money and/or not being offered a starting job. If that's true fuck him and his whole BS movement.

Love him Eli and Cutler both come out this week and win after I say they're two of the worst. Think I'll just keep my thoughts to myself from now on!

Not a fan of the Vikings after this round. The blindside hit was not on and you could have easily pulled out of making contact with Rodgers. I don't wish ill on someone to be injured but it will do nothing but bring me joy to see the Vikings lose every time this season after those two plays.

See, when Kaep, RGIII and Wilson all started I said only one would continue to play at a high level. And that was Wilson. He wasn't the type of QB they were and he could stay in the pocket and was accurate. It took a couple seasons for teams to figure out Kaep and his results showed. He's not an NFL elite QB. Neither was RGIII and I'm sure people can point to his injuries but I thought it was only a matter of time till their shortcomings showed.

Squared
    I've heard the rumour but not seen it anywhere credible. If it's true then he'll lose, but I can't say I've seen anything to make me believe it yet.

I'm no expert but if pressed I'd say Rodgers was the best QB in football and with him gone you've clearly got to look elsewhere in the conference. I don't really rate the other teams that much so it's hard to see anyone from the NFC North making a real dent in the playoffs.

Squared
    My predictions have been rubbish so far. Any thoughts on the games still to come today?

Looks like the Broncos game is the only one that went against what I thought.

Rams are my new bandwagon team.

Rams 4 life

Squared
    As bandwagons go there are worse ones to be on right now.

Starting to think I may have underrated the Vikings a bit. Sure, the teams they've been playing aren't the best and the win in London was only against the Browns, but at the same time they are winning them and seeing them off. Winning itself tends to breed confidence and if they start to get feeling really good, with a simpler path to the playoffs than most teams will be facing... I don't know, seems like they can have a very good year.

Can't remember the last time I saw an escape like the one Carson Wentz pulled off against Washington a couple games back. And Eagles now 7-1 too, he must be wondering why people make such a fuss about the difficulty of the NFL.

At the other end of the spectrum, Dolphins against Baltimore was one of the most dogshit performances I've ever seen.

We just let Jimmy go to the 49ers for a second round pick. What absolute bullcrap.

You're dreaming if you thought we'd get anything more than a 2nd round pick. At this rate, we'll get the first or second pick of the second round. I'm extremely happy with that. Brady'll be playing for the next 5 years anyway.

Squared
    Five years? You think he's going to unseat Deberg as the oldest starting QB of all time?

Jimmy is worth a first rounder. No doubt in my mind. Shows the 49ers were never serious about going after Kirk though in FA. So that throws a spanner in his plans.

He wants to play till he's 45. He's 40 now. At some stage you'd have to assume he'd have a regression. But it is Brady. And well quite frankly he's the QB for this year and next year regardless what happens as we got rid of Jimmy. We'll draft a QB in the draft no doubt.

People keep writing him off after every bad game he has. But every time, he comes back. He's currently on pace to have the greatest year that a 40-year-old QB has ever had. At this point, it makes sense to just keep playing him until he dies.

Squared
    I guess I'm just so used to even the best QB's winding down in their late 30s or early 40s, I just sort of assumed he'd be done in a year or so. I mean, you knew he'd be able to run longer because it always seemed from a distance as if it was more between his ears than his physique in Brady's case, but even so, that also means that when age does catch him to him physically, he wouldn't have so much to lose before he just wasn't up to it anymore.

But I dunno. I guess if they can keep him protected, and he keeps producing, I don't see why not. Be interesting if he does start to slow how much loyalty his exploits will afford him. My instinct with the Pats is virtually nil, and I'd expect them to be fairly ruthless.

Squared
    It's a fairly quick double post so apologies for that but wanted to get a sense of reaction to the Jay Ajayi trade to the Eagles that I'm hearing about?

4th rounder by the Eagles seems a steal. Hasn't had the best season, but if he finds it with the Eagles watch out. They've already gotten better just by signing him.

Watson with a torn ACL. Huge loss for the Texans.

It's weird Robert Kraft is among the owners being deposed in the Kapernick collusion hearing. If there was any team that doesn't need a QB...

Squared
    My guess is that it won't be about who needs a QB, it'll be about trying to prove that some kind of collusion exists, so you go wherever you think you might find the smoking gun.

Important win for the Jets. It's a long way back for them to get into wildcard contention but if the Bills had won that one, I think the season would have been over there and then. This at least keeps them interested a bit longer.

Squared
    Packers injury trouble gets worse. Bulaga confirmed with a torn ACL. Not a good year for them. Haven't won, or even looked half decent, since Rodgers came off hurt against the Vikings. I can see why they aren't ruling out him coming back before the end of the season because if there's any prospect he has to play. Though it might wind up being too late for all that. A loss to the Bears and the season could be as good as over.

I hear the Texans are shuffling their backup quarterbacks around - not sure this'll make any significant difference to their chances, will it?

Going to finish with a question for the people who know more than me. The Eagles are flying (sorry) - is that literally just because people can't really stop their run, but they are successfully preventing other people from moving the football on the ground? I haven't been able to see more than a few highlights of them so far but looking into the numbers, it looks like that is where they are really thriving. Is that it, or are there more intangible factors that just aren't coming through in the stats?
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.

I haven't seen them play yet, myself. Dallas has them in just over a week, so I'll be very, very interested in seeing how that goes down. Unfortunately, it just so happens to be the Sunday night game and will be on at the same time as Survivor Series. It's like a goddamn conspiracy against me or something. Of the three Sunday night games the Cowboys play this year, two of them fall on PPV nights.

But yeah, how the Cowboys do against Philly will be pretty telling, at least to me.

Unfortunately, it looks like they'll officially be without Ezekiel Elliot.

Squared
    With Washington, Dallas, and the Giants all losing, it was a good week for Philadelphia without them actually doing anything.

Steelers are really starting to click and get some momentum going, too. Division winners are emerging and the playoff picture is starting to take shape.

Squared
    The Steelers and the Pats look to have their division sewn up in the AFC (and honestly, am surprised Sheepster and Maverick haven't been in about that), but the other two are a bit harder to call. Jacksonville going well but not really clear of Tennessee just yet, though there's a lot of pressure on the match between the two on NYE.

But I gotta say, the more interesting one for me is the west. Chiefs look to officially be off the boil and the question is whether they can limp over the line, or whether they'll get caught by one of the others in that division. Safe to say no one in the West will get the wildcard.

It's a bit similar in the NFC to be honest. East and North seem sewn up, New Orleans and Panthers locked in it in the South by Saints with a clear edge, and then the closest battle in the West - although the NFC West seems a lot more competitive than the AFC West.

I dunno, that's my instinct. What do you guys think?

I enjoy reading the probabilities that fivethirtyeight.com come up with. They give each team a rating based on how they did last year, and how good the teams they've won and lost against this year have been. They then use this along with their record and their remaining schedule and come up with probabilities to show who's most likely to make the playoffs, or win their division, and even their chances of winning the superbowl.

They agree with your assessment of the NFC in general and of the AFC North and East. The difference between teams 1 and 2 in those divisions are 92% and 98% respectively. They agree that the AFC South is harder to call with only 34% between Tennessee and Jacksonville (Jags on 66%). However, they reckon that the West is still fairly probably going to the Chiefs. They've given them a 91% chance to win the West. Oakland only gets a 4% chance. They've got an 8% chance to make the playoffs altogether, so they agree that the wildcard is out of the question for them.

There's only 12 teams left that have a chance of greater than 1% to win the superbowl. Only 4 teams are given a chance of double-figures. Pittsburgh and New England from the AFC, and Philadelphia and New Orleans from the NFC. The Patriots have at least a 10% lead over everyone else.

SKOL Vikings!

Squared
    I enjoy the stats they have over there, too, Sheep. I figure the thing with the Chiefs that makes them more likely to go through is that there's no obvious other contender emerging. That's why I kinda think that they might be able to limp over the line. They're going to have games against some weak divisional rivals that'll help them, and already having the lead is a big thing. If they had a Tennessee hard on their heels it'd be different.

Very intriguing that they're willing to give such an early nod to the Patriots for the Superbowl. I'm not surprised that they'd be favourites, but that's quite a margin for four months out.

Rob, gotta say I underestimated the Vikings. They're flying, and from a more casual perspective it appears they're pretty well balanced and not too reliant on either offence or defence.

The Patriots are favourites because of the Elo rating that 538 use. They had the highest rating last season, and with only two losses, they still have the highest rating this season. The Eagles were fairly average last season, so they started off this season with a slightly above average rating of 1511, but with the season they're having they're now only 60pts behind the Pats. One stupid loss for the Pats and one big scalp for the Eagles and 538 will probably have them ranked much more equally for the superbowl.

Squared
    So Sheep, Matt, any other Pats fans around..... are the stats right? Are you going to win again?

I have the weird feeling that you won't. But what do you think?