Thread: Board Games

Board Games

I don't know about everyone else, but I've always been a huge fan of board games. I use that as a broad term, covering games like Scattergories or Cranium and whatnot, too. Basically any game that comes in a box and requires other live, in the flesh humans to play.

My personal favorite has always been Life. I love it so much that when I found myself without many people to play with in real life, I went and found it on PS3. Same for Monopoly. Monopoly on PS3 is a blast, actually.

But yeah, do you guys play board games? If so, what are some of your favorites?

I found this gem from 1976 at Goodwill yesterday and am really, really looking forward to playing it with the family on Thanksgiving.

Squared
    Back in the day when I could get people to play with me, I won about 9 out of every 10 games of Monopoly. Didn't cheat, either. Loved that game. Ps3 sounds like a good call.

But yeah, love a board game. Enjoy the social side of it.

@lopprimetime

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Monopoly badass, myself. People would always get pissed at me because I'd turn down trades if they didn't fit my high standard of "fair". For instance, I'm not giving up a property that'll give you a monopoly unless you're giving me the same in return. I don't care how much money is offered.

I'm also an absolute beast at Cranium. The only thing that ever stops me on that one is if I have a subpar partner, which actually became something of the norm for me due to how good I am at it. The other players would see fit to handicap me.

Samuel Plan
    I'm quite possibly hosting Plandad and his other half the night before Xmas Eve this year and fully intend on getting a board game or two in, rather than just plonking ourselves in front of the television and zombifying out watching films we've seen a thousand times. I'm quite looking forward to it for the very reason Prime mentions: it gets people talking in a way that I sadly feel is all too rare these days! No way do I intend on sitting in a room of three people all glued to their smart phones.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

On occasion my wife and I have taken to playing Reversi (also trademarked as Othello, which is how I remembered it from the U.S.). I don't remember why we started playing it one night. I think she had mentioned that she played it a lot at school when she was a kid. In any case, we enjoy it a lot and continue to do it whenever we have some spare time on a weekend and there's not much that we're doing at home. She still beats me just about every single time we play, but I've been improving.

In another Japanese-y story, I spent last New Year's Day at my in-laws with my brother-in-law and his son teaching me how to play Shogi, which is basically a form of Japanese chess. I've never been a regular / Western chess player, so I'm especially bad at Shogi since it has its own set of complicated rules on top of having to remember the Japanese characters on top of each piece since they're all the same shape. Despite that I had fun.

I think the point of this post is that despite how horrible I am at most board games, there definitely is something to be said about having a physical game in front of you and playing it while hanging out with awesome people.

I just read this thread and now I want to organise an online LOP Monopoly match. It could destroy all the relationships and be the thing that finally kills of the board but WHAT A STORY!!!!

Squared
    Me and Steve would be an interesting one by the sounds of it, because I never take a trade that involves giving someone a monopoly unless I'm getting one in return, but was quite good at getting people to accept trades like that. I think I basically reasoned them into why it'd make sense given their precarious position to roll the dice and take a chance. Then, of course, with my monopoly I win. Amazing how many times people go for that.

Never played Cranium, though I think I'd like it. Balderdash can be quite fun in a party, though it's definitely more fun if you've got people who don't care too much about winning. Have played it in a competitive three and a bigger group for a laugh and the second option was way more preferable.

Deg, the only game I have played from that part of the world is Go, which I think is Chinese but has spread into Japan and Korea. Ever play that?

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Deg, the only game I have played from that part of the world is Go, which I think is Chinese but has spread into Japan and Korea. Ever play that?
    I did play it a few times with my brother-in-law. Unsurprisingly I was not very good at it. I'm surprised at how popular that game is here. There's a lot of Go parlors nearby where I live, and they're always full of older guys playing there. Shogi parlors, too.

That reminds me of when I was living in North Carolina. The Greensboro area is especially kinda "hipster-y", but without the douchebaggery that usually accompanies those sorts of folks. They actually had a couple of coffee joints that had a heavy board game influence, in that they had shelves full of old games and encouraged people to just set up and play while enjoying their beverages. If I'd have lived a bit closer, I'd have probably been a regular to places like that.

Is that a thing elsewhere? I've not really seen it anywhere else but have heard of similar establishments in recent years as board games have experienced something of a resurgence.

Berkeley had a couple of places like that, which isn't a surprise since it's pretty much hippies and hipsters in that town. Tons of game nights all over the place, too.

They also have some awesome shops with nothing but board games and card games. I would occasionally go to the one near where I used to live (Games of Berkeley) just to look around. It was pretty impressive but I never got into the whole scene.

Samuel Plan
    Did anyone ever play Risk? Or D&D? I've never played either but always wanted to give them a go; just with people I know, and nobody I know would think twice about refusing to give them a bash.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    I've played Risk. It's okay, but very like Monopoly in that you need to clear hours to play. It's not a bad game though.

@lopprimetime

I've never played Risk, but I've thought about trying to find it on PS2 or something cheap so I can get an idea of how to play, figure out if I'd like it or not. I've been told that Star Trek: Conquest is somewhat similar to it, and I love that game.

Squared
    I've seen that you can buy game of thrones and walking dead risk now, if either of those is up anyone's alley.

@lopprimetime