Thread: Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction

This one's easy.

Make a statement. Not like a trivia question or whatever, just a statement. The next poster determines whether said statement is fact or fiction and can either elaborate or not elaborate to their heart's content on how they came to that conclusion.

For instance...

Pineapple on (selective) pizza is delicious.

Fact or Fiction?

26 letters... 26 columns... 26 days...

Pineapple on pizza is most certainly delicious.

You can't have a burger without Beetroot.

Fact or Fiction?

FICTION: You can have a burger without Beetroot but it does taste bloody good on one.

You can't have a band without a guitar.

I have no idea what a beetroot is. Is that a spiffy name for regular old beets? If so, that's yucky.

FICTION

You can have a band without guitars. May not be a very good band, but it can be done. Nine Inch Nails proves that.

The Dallas Cowboys are the most prolific team in sports.

Fiction, plenty more teams that are much more prolific, the Barcelona soccer team of the last 10 years spring to mind.

Fact or fiction. There will be another World War in the next 10 years.

Fiction. All wars now are proxy wars because the biggest powers know an all out war will actually destroy everything and neith the public who vote nor the people that pay off politicians do not want that.

To Steve I think that is correct about beetroot. It is quite common on certain burgers here in Australia. Not every burger but goes alright on something with a bit of everything.

Fact or fiction. The internet is a worse place than it was 10 years ago.

FICTION. The internet continues to grow and expand in really cool and useful ways. As a youngster I'd have never imagined that I'd ine day be able to carry what amounts to the world's knowledge (or at least a sizable chunk of it) in the palm of my hand. The internet is amazing.

The people who use the internet, though? Yeah, those are worse than they were 10 years ago or really ever before. From Russian hackers to overly sensitive SJWs to douchebag trolls who exist just to fuck with people, the internet these days isn't exactly shining the light on humanity's biggest and brightest.

Fact of fiction.

When making a grilled cheese sandwich, you butter the bread, not the pan.

Squared
    I mean, when I make one, or what we'd call a cheese toastie, I use neither butter or a pan. Sounds more like you are frying it to me, whereas it'd be literally grilled the way I'd do it. So fiction, I guess, if you don't butter anything?!

Fact or Fiction: Red wine is better than white, and rose is an abomination.

Fiction.

All wine's are disgusting. And that's coming from someone who runs a pub. I can only stomach moscato, so white prevails over red.

Fact or Fiction:

English pizza is better than American pizza.

Squared
    We have pizza?

You can't beat good wine, by the way. Drank enough of it to pickle myself in Italy last year.

Fiction. The fact that we (England) don't really have a 'pizza' means it's fiction.

Fact or Fiction: We will put a person on Mars by 2050.

Squared
    I feel fiction but I'd love it to be fact. Earliest estimates are not much before that, I believe?

Fact or Fiction: it doesn't matter how many close calls go against your team if the referees ultimately get the majority of them right.

Fiction. Ref's are always useless, either the few calls they get right are well outweighed by the multitude they miss. (speaking as a fan watching his favourite team).

Fact or fiction, paying off your house with a mortgage is better than renting it.

Fiction. My now ex wife is now saddled with paying two mortgages because she bought into the home ownership thing. That shit becomes a huge burden when you have to move and there's a weak housing market. You're better off renting and just letting someone else deal with any issues that arise.

Unless you're loaded. Then buy to your heart's content.

Also, American pizza is better. Period.

Fact or Fiction

Though now maligned, Son in Law with Pauly Shore is actually a good movie. Not Godfather good, mind you, but good for a laugh and a pleasantly wasted evening.

Squared
    My guess is that a lot of the people around here haven't seen that movie, judging by the fact it's gone quiet in here. I haven't, so I guess it has to be FICTION by default.

FACT or FICTION: Joey falling in love with Rachel on Friends was a massive mistake in the show's creative direction.

American pizza is the worst pizza I've ever eaten.

Ohhhh. Now that's a good question! In my top 3 shows of all time. I'm going to go with Fiction. Ross and Rachel had to end up together. Think we all knew they were going to. That would have been a terrible decision if they didn't. I don't think Joey falling for Rachel hurt the show or the direction. It took the detour away from Ross and Rachel. Which is needed. It was on for 10 seasons, it can't constantly be about if Ross and Rachel will get together. Needs to be a roadblock and detours along the way. Plus it gave a different side to Joey that you never really got to see besides his womaniser persona.

Fact or Fiction: The Seinfeld finale was the most disappointing finale for a show of it's caliber?

Fiction. How else was it supposed to end? That show was one of those where people would've bitched about the ending regardless of how it was handled. I think the ending was fitting. They had all been assholes for years with no repercussions. Karma finally smacked them. It was perfectly fitting.

"American pizza is the worst I've ever eaten" would indicate that you've had all the various varieties. You've rolled through New York for a bigass, foldable slice. Chicago for the (admittedly tasty) casserole they call pizza. You've had the fucking masterpiece that is a place called Mellow Mushroom. Or the excellence of the hidden wonder that is Secret Pizza in Las Vegas.

I say American pizza is best not because of some dumbass nationalism. I say so because this country is fucking obsessed with pizza and there are more variations of it that anywhere else. I live in a small town in East Texas with a population of under 15,000 and we have four different pizza restaurants. The sheer variety and obsession with quality among most devotees makes American pizza the best.

Fact or Fiction

Ham is better than turkey.

Squared
    Fiction: big fan of turkey when it's well cooked. It's at worst a tie.

And for the record, South Italian / Sicillian pizza is the best.

Fact or Fiction: Homer Simpson was right - rock music achieved perfection in 1974.

Fact that ham is better than turkey.

Love how this has turned in to a pizza debate on the side! New York pizza is by far the worse pizza I tried there. Chicago pizza was the best. I know if I ever want to go eat dough pizza to go to New York. That isn't pizza to me. Eating more dough than toppings. Ridiculous. I've heard from Quiz on Twitter that the locally owned pizza places give a more generous size of toppings. But everywhere I had it besides Chicago was disappointing. I don't want no thin layer of topping. We don't do that here. Everything is bigger and better in America they say. Well the slices of dough are bigger but they ain't better than what we have here. Prime is right though, south Italian pizza is very close to the top.

I'm a youngin. So I don't think it's fair for me to answer Prime's question as I'd say it's Fiction.

Edit: Looked up Mellow Mushroom and Secret Pizza. I'll pass on Mellow, thanks. The vast majority of what I could see the dough was engulfing the toppings and cheese. No thanks. Pizza to me isn't about the dough. It's about the toppings and the dough should compliment it. Secret Pizza though is one I'll check out when I get to Vegas.
    Last edited by Eddieg2005; 11-27-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Reset! Fiction to the Homer FoF.

Fact or Fiction: Ice Hockey is the least popular of the US' big four sports.

Squared
    Pretty sure that's an inarguable FACT, no matter how much I like the game.

FACT or FICTION: Buying Apple Products is just a fashion statement.

Mostly Fact, I have never had an iPhone, but find Samsungs to be just as good, and sometimes better. Never really cared for iMacs or iPods. I do admit however to owning an iPad, as I think they do make the best tablets.

Fact or Fiction: The next Star Wars film (episode VIII) will result in the death of Luke Skywalker.

Fiction. Leah is getting killed because Fisher died, and I do not think that they will kill off both Luke and Leah in the same movie.

Fact or Fiction: Tony Stark will be the one who ends up killing Cap in Infinity War part 2.

Fiction, cuz part 1 is gonna end with Cap getting killed and Thanos completing the gauntlet. Bucky is gonna pick up the stars and stripes.

F or F: King Kong vs. Godzilla (or whatever it's officially called) will climax with having to work together to kill something bigger.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Well, well, well, you are most definitely talking my language. BUT I would have to go with FICTION, for a very specific reason. That will happen, but not in the first movie with both. Godzilla: King of the Monsters is due to come out in 2019, and I believe that we will be officially (not post credits Kong) introduced to Mothra and Rodan. At first they will be at odds with Godzilla, then the three of them will have to team up to take down Giddorah.

The sequel to G:K o t M will be King Kong vs Godzilla (2020 scheduled but who knows), where the two will be against each other, but they will have 2-3 battles against each other like Godzilla had with MUTO in 2014, and they had back in the original in 1962 (which just so happens to be the best worst movie of all time). I think that KK vG will end on a cliff hanger where we will see a stalemate between the two, and MechaGodzilla will make his appearance setting up KK vs G 2 where they will have to team up with Mothra and Rodan to take down MechaGodzilla. And MechaGodzilla will not be an Alien creation this time. MechaGodzilla will be some random governmental response to attempt to take down these crypto-zoological creatures.

F or F: There will be a Pacific Rim 3. 2 looks awesome BTW.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-07-2017 at 02:34 PM.