Thread: The Global Revolution

The Global Revolution

mizfan and Jeff have been at it for years, bringing you the absolute best of those things that fly under the mainstream radar in pro wrestling. Do you have a suggestion for them to check out? Maybe a question or two about how to find some of the stuff they discuss one week?

You've found the place to do exactly that.

CHIKARA young superstar Razerhawk apparently actually listened to our last episode so that was fucking cool. Granted, us talking about him may have been the only reason why but still, super fuckin' neat!

Recording tonight, at least one MoTYC to be discussed! Look for the episode soon!

The Brain
    Yeah, had lots of fun on this most recent episode. I love the random shit we discover on this show.

Ready to talk about WK tonight! Some good stuff, some bad stuff, and a surprising Young Bucks match, so this should make for some good talkin'.

Why don't you like Don Callis and Kevin Kelly Mizfan? I thought they did a great job throughout. Maybe my bar isn't very high but I thought they struck a good mix of giving the matches context & emotion while still keeping up with what was going on in the ring. It was particularly good in the Jericho match which I know you didn't listen to.

Actually here is a question, who would you say is your favourite commentary team given the lack of love for those two?

The Brain
    Ooooh boy, they really do drive me up a wall. It's 99% Callis, as I don't really have any beef with Kelly, though I think he has zero ability to reign in his partner. I feel like Callis is constantly throwing out stuff that drives me nuts, like comments about what star rating he thinks the match should get. I remember in the Dragon Lee/Hiromu Takahashi match I talked about in the MOTY series, at one point Hiromu ripped off Dragon Lee's mask, and instead of selling the moment Callis started chortling about his own joke that he would get a picture of Dragon Lee's real face and sell it for big money. I feel like he's trying to put on a character, but it just ends up annoying me, which is too bad because I kind of enjoyed him as Cyrus the Virus in ECW. I much preferred the old Kelly/Corino team, though Corino could also be annoying as shit if the Young Bucks were out (how many times can a man scream "superkick"?). I liked the old Mauro/Barnett team on AXS when that show first started.

I'll give you my 5 favorite commentary teams of 2017 right now, if you like!

1. Matt Striker & Vampiro (LU)
    -Perfect for their time and place. Striker can be too cutesy at times, and Vampiro can be distractible, but in the chaotic environment of the Temple they have a wonderful chemistry and their voice perfectly fits the product. A team that's greater than the sum of it's parts.

2. Chuck Taylor & Excalibur (PWG)
    -This is a team that's purely fun, so your mileage may vary. At the most recent Battle of Los Angeles, they spent the majority of an entire match analyzing the basketball prowess of the Mon-Stars team from Space Jam, and I was rolling from laughter. PWG is a promotion for hardcore fans who are in the know, so it leaves commentary open to add value in other ways, such as comedy, while STILL adding excitement to the product whenever something really big happens.

3. Mike Quackenbush & Sidney Bakabella (CHIKARA)
    -Quack tends to do a lot of solo commentary these days, and while he's very knowledgeable that can be a little dry. He's never better than when he's joined by Bakabella, who is the closest thing to Bobby Heenan that the modern wrestling world has to offer. They have a wonderful Monsoon/Heenan-esque vibe between them, and Quack can provide limitless insight on the action while Bakabella is wonderful at adding color.

4. Kevin Condron & Louden Noxious (Bar Wrestling)
    -This is a team that is pure enthusiasm, but it's exactly that enthusiasm that makes them so appealing to me. Bar Wrestling feels like a party most of the time, and these guys tap right into that. It feels like you have two particularly clever friends making comments while everyone has a great time.

5. Jeremy Graves & Rico Bushido (wXw)
    -Bushido can get a little too ridiculous, but there's something so endearing about the incredibly earnest, German accented commentary of wXw. Above all else, they do a wonderful job convincing you that they believe in the product, so strongly, and when they say something is world class they aren't just bullshitting. They also do a stupendous job of making things accessible to new fans, making relevant references to the history of the competitors and giving genuine insight into the storyline they are involved in.

In 2016 I also loved the RevPro team of Oliver Bennett and Andy Boy Simmonz, though I didn't hear much of them last year. As far as WWE goes I don't listen much. I was once a huge JBL fan but he's gone now, and people stopped liking him before he departed anyway. I've come around on Corey Graves somewhat, though I still think he's trying a little hard sometimes.

Generally I prefer genuine enthusiasm over trying to be overly clever or play a character, although if you can provide both that's always going to be the absolute best.

2010 Samsung Galaxy Tablet is what I got... CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Will you guys be covering the Indy-Mania weekend events since Evolve, Progress, Impact! Lucha Underground and ROH are all surrounding NOLA? Would like to here your thoughts of Supercard of Honor

The Brain
    I definitely hope to cover at least some of that stuff! Our time and wallets will probably prevent a full sweep but I want to at least dedicate some time so particularly interesting shows like Joey Janela's Spring Break 2. I would love to cover LU vs. Impact as well, though I'm very put off by Alberto being in the main event. I'm sure we'll make comments at least about most of the major shows, including Supercard of Honor!

Appreciate it thanks, lemme know when that episode drops, I'm looking forward to it. Also if you have the money and/or streaming capabilities I was hoping to throw another request out there if you guys like the cards.

WWN Mercury Rising & PWG Neon Knights

I can't find a reliable source to dL those shows so I may as well hear you guys out if you think they're both worth the $15 to buy and see for myself.

The Brain
    PWG distribution is bad enough that we only cover them once in a while, but if something catches my eye I may go for it. Same goes for the WWN family actually, though their distribution is lousy in a different way.

Tomorrow morning we're talking about three 'Mania weekend shows! Matt Riddle's Bloodsport, Beyond Wrestling's Lit Up, and and the RevPro show, and I'm sure we'll comment on some of the other weekend shows as well as covering more of them in full in weeks to come.

That was a very interesting episode you guys just released. I wasn't aware Matt Riddle had a promotion prior to this and I'm definitely gonna check it out. Who's Joey Janela and why is his Spring Break event so spectacular to you?

The Brain
    Matt Riddle doesn't have a promotion, but GCW gave him control over a 'Mania weekend show and thus Bloodsport was born as a one off event, and a damn good one too.

Joey Janela's Spring Break 2 is a similar situation, also promoted by GCW but they gave Janela the book and he booked a really unique, phenomenal card with lots of unusual matches that I'm hyped up to see. We'll talk about it more next week!