Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WCW: The Legacy Series

Protector of the Oomph
    Thank you, SirSam. Your thoughts are always welcome.

In a weird turn of events, I'm enjoying 2001. The Magnificent Seven had crazy potential (especially for someone who is actually is a WCW fan).

I thought Luger and Bagwell had such great physical comedy in their segment when burying Bill Goldberg....Then, the backhanded comments Bagwell gave, if only everyone else in that segment had kept that going, it'd be the best segment in wrestling history....Still I see the magnificent 7 as a glimmer of hope in a dark time. If WCW had only had something solid to fall back on in a time they couldn' compete.

The Brain
    It's so hard for me to imagine Bagwell in a positive light... not since the days where he was a warm body next to the fantastic 2 Cold Scorpio have I looked forward to seeing Bagwell do anything.

Protector of the Oomph
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Button View Post
    I thought Luger and Bagwell had such great physical comedy in their segment when burying Bill Goldberg....Then, the backhanded comments Bagwell gave, if only everyone else in that segment had kept that going, it'd be the best segment in wrestling history....Still I see the magnificent 7 as a glimmer of hope in a dark time. If WCW had only had something solid to fall back on in a time they couldn' compete.
    I agree so much with this. I have said many times that when Luger is with Flair, Flair puts Luger over better than Luger does. But this is a rare segment where Lex Luger (along with Buff) set the bar and nobody else reaches it.

To be fair, Bagwell is by himself at Greed and he's as annoying as ever again. I'm not liking Greed so far like I did SB and Sin. (Though you may, mizfan, it has a lot of the kind of people you like on it.) :-)

The Brain
    Checking out the card and I see Mysterio, Awesome, Luger, Booker, Dusty, Steiner, DDP... yup, quite a few people I like, so hopefully I dig it! I haven't started '01 yet but I'm definitely feeling good about it, everything seems so much better the moment Russo walks out the door.

Protector of the Oomph
    I haven't gotten to the matches that involve anyone you've mentioned, except Mysterio and Awesome. AJ Styles is also referenced on the show.

I'm trying to finish Greed tonight and start the final Nitro tomorrow.

In some ways weren't all matches in the Russo era fought under Canadian rules?

The Brain
    Man, even after Russo left they couldn't stop ruining poor Team Canada. Just watched their match at Sin where you've got Awesome, Storm, Elix, Mysterio, and Kidman to carry the action (Konnan is also present). On paper, it could be a great six man tag, but they have Jim Duggan as the referee and a moronic "penalty box" stipulation. The whole things smacks of Ferrara, so at least we know who keeps writing this Russo tribute crap.

2010 Samsung Galaxy Tablet is what I got... CanadianCrippler's Avatar
    Hey I got a question for an upcoming episode of the Legacy Series. By the end of the era will you guys do a retrospective episode or perhaps "The best of times, worst of times" type show where you look back to your favorite and most despicable moments?

About roughly 2 to 4 years ago, i believe it was Mr. TITO who wrote a column highlighting some WCW fuck ups from the past. Wish i had found it beforehand however if either of you find this column, it should be relevant to where you're at amidst this period in time. When I was listening to New Blood Rising, out of nowhere i remembered a line from that column stating something to the affect of "3 Count are in the ring doing a promo about how they're record sold over a million units (platinum status) and how they were on the verge of going Gold (500,000 units)

As a musician, i thought it was hilarious how 3 grown men doing a music industry gimmick have no fucking comprehension of the music industry.

The Brain
    You might be thinking of Hustle with that column, I thought it was him who put out something to that effect some years back filled with Meltzer quotes like that. Funny stuff, regardless! We'll definitely be doing an end-of-show episode where we talk about a lot of different stuff WCW went through, so stay tuned! Thanks for listening!

Thank you for the correction, I'm not too familiar with Hustle's columns as it's been some time since he wrote frequently.

Also I was meaning to ask you Mizfan since you're more a fan of Indie-Wrestling than myself: Are there any WCW alumni from 1999-2001 that had prominent success in the Indie's? Not akin to the success of A.J. Styles, but more so like Hardbody Harrison, Elix Skipper or Vampiro
    I feel like most of all the new talent that were featured in the tail end got swept under the rug for the "Stars" of WCW during the invasion. Know what ever happened to any of the young boys or jobbers post-Greed?

The Brain
    Well, the wrestling world is so large it's hard to answer a question as broad as that succinctly. Elix Skipper of course went on to work many years in TNA, most famously doing the tight rope hurricanrana from the top of a cage in '04. Vampiro was a star in Mexico first so as far as I know he went back there for the most part, showing up randomly a few times in Japan or random other places. Hardbody Harrison dead ended in WCW as far as I can tell, and that's probably best for everyone!

Most guys of any note landed either in WWE without much to do, or made their way over to TNA (or both, in many cases!). There's always work out there for those who want it!

I know this must be a dark and tumultuous time for you guys covering this largely forgotten era. However as a frequent listener who doesn't want the suffering to end, I was wondering if you'd be willing to unearth and review the German PPV 'Millenium Final 2000' if you got nothing better to do.

The Brain
    Haha, we're already past that point in the recording and I don't think I could have convinced Shane to spend any more time in this era than we already are. I think it's for the best, I've heard MF is a good wrestling show but not much of importance really happened there, and I'm ready to be done with this period of WCW, even if the post-Russo stuff has been pretty ok.

Protector of the Oomph
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCrippler View Post
    I know this must be a dark and tumultuous time for you guys covering this largely forgotten era. However as a frequent listener who doesn't want the suffering to end, I was wondering if you'd be willing to unearth and review the German PPV 'Millenium Final 2000' if you got nothing better to do.
    Might have done it had Kevin Nash not been in the main event. I'm at my max with him.

Hearing Mystic snapping his fingers and pretty much giggling made my day, im glad you guys have optimism for the remainder of WCW TLS.

Would you guys consider doing a Hall of Fame/Hide in Shame style episode? Would love to hear both of your opinions on who should be honored for participating in this once glorious shit show and who should have their wrestling licenses revoked. The only thing i don't appreciate about this forgettable era is how many matches they're going to essentially re-run when they have a ginormous roster. With 4-5 weeks of tv and 60+ men on contract, it feels like they've cut the roster down to roughly 25 and already decided everyone else is irrelevant until needed.

The Brain
    We get a little punchy on some of the time on the bad stuff, so that helps.

We're planning to do at least a 2 part finale so I suspect we will do something similar to your Fame/Shame idea!

I've been going through the LOP Radio archives and can't find a 10 year award show for TLS, how come you guys didn't reflect on the Hogan years or am I missing something?

The Brain
    We decided to skip the 10 year show and just push on to the end... we had just watched Nash break Goldberg's streak and the Fingerpoke of Doom, so we were feeling demoralized at the time, and we knew the worst was yet to come!

Enjoyed the Halloween Havoc stuff. So who was booking it? I kept listening in the beginning to hear, then I got so caught up thinking of Shane's poem that I didn't quite hear that part. lol. Great introduction! I think I heard Johny Ace? I always look at that little period of time after Russo and think it wasn't very good by the standards of 90's wrestling but certainly as good the Jack Swaggers and Alberto Del Rios that would come after it. Kind of dug that Magnificent 7

The Brain
    For Halloween Havoc I think they were still using Russo's script, but the team of Johnny Ace, Terry Taylor, and Ed Ferrara (gross) were assuming control and starting to change some stuff for the better. Here's a little preview, a lot of the post-Russo stuff isn't great but it looks like Misawa/Kawada compared to everything Russo was actually involved in. It reminds me a bit of the Nash era, where you typically got a few really good matches, a few ok matches, and a few complete shit matches, one of which is probably the main event. Del Rio and Swagger were probably still better than some of the Russo tribute specials they will roll out before the end, but not by a whole lot! Magnificent 7 is coming up soon, an honest to god group of real WCW guys. We'll have a lot to say about them, for sure!

Weird to hear all the Stevie Ray praise over the lat 2 ppvs for his announcer work...did u guy finally find something he does better than Booker T?

Stevie Ray's commentary and the southern accent thread throughout the show were hilarious. It's a shame the quality has Russo stains left on it but the Steiner/Booker feud is awesome right now. The Nitro segments with him as champion are worth checking out, definitely career defining enough for him to hold that belt. I think he has the longest reign since Goldberg '98?

The Brain
    HAHA, oh the southern accent thread. My greatest TLS shame, besides when I shouted fuck you at someone who undersold Kip Frey.

I honestly don't mind Booker's commentary but yes, now that I think about it, I think "Straight Shooting" Stevie Ray is actually better at him. I can't explain how satisfying it is to see him fearlessly point out plot holes and bullshit, even if it might be because he's a little too one track minded to dissemble the way the company probably wanted to. The fact that he hilariously pesters Tony and shuts down Mark Madden makes him a hero in my mind.

Steiner probably should have been the man to actually end Goldberg's reign, and it should have happened a year after it actually did. If he wasn't champion in such a crappy era, I'd call him one of the best title holders they had. Hell, he still might be!

My only question is can the legacy series body-slam Andre's legacy?

The Brain
    Well we've got WWF: The Legacy Series next, so we'll try! I don't know if he'll let us though, even though all parties agreed months before and any backstage drama was manufactured years later!

You think it was manufactured? I take what Hogan says as a grain of salt, because he lies a lot. Still, in the 30 for 30, Vince and Timmy White also said there was something going on there. I don't think it was a situation where Andre had any motive of not jobbing. The way they described it was he just wouldn't tell Hogan his intention, like he wanted to fuck with him. It seemed like an uncomfortable situation where Hogan didn't want to ask, and Andre just kept it uncomfortable by not being straight foward.

The Brain
    I do feel like the drama was manufactured to some extent for the sake of the doc. Andre does seem like the type to fuck with somebody but it's hard for me to buy that things were ever really in doubt.

The only time tenay joins hennan to pick on tony is the pronunciation of norman smiley. No tony its normoon smilay. Absolutely hilarious

Have you guys watched the final 3 PPV's and last Nitro in advance to recording or how does your system work? I'm curious what you'll be doing next like either going on hiatus or jumping forward into WWF The Legacy Series

Protector of the Oomph
    Punkrr - Heenan felt very isolated in WCW. Nobody ever told you if you were doing a good job or not and Tony often played politics with information that he should have shared with the whole booth. I think he made a genuine friendship with Mike and that moment was hilarious.

Crippler - We've recorded through Greed. We're recording the final Nitro in the morning. We will do 2-3 reflection episodes over the next 2-3 weeks, then we will jump straight into WWF: The Legacy Series

Watched Starrcade before you uploaded. That opening match was the best of the whole night. Lex vs. Goldberg sucked but put in some decent effort at times and Steiner telling people to fuck off in his Sid match was definitely the only saving grace to the main event.
    I gotta say your show is extremely enetertaining, better performed and incredibly more relevant than WCW as a television product. The best matches and calendar year's were worth unearthing, especially seeing Benoit in his prime however I felt more often than not disdainfully bored with a lot of the actual wrestling from the late 90's WCW compared to Scorpio vs. Benoit in 1992

The Brain
    Heenan and Tenay's friendship is one of the best things about a generally lousy commentary booth. I still with those two had a chance to work alone without Tony imposing his will on everything.

You and I are on the same page about the best match, I enjoy that style and it was a bit shocking but also very fun to see how well those young guys pulled off what was essentially a proto-MITB match. Strongly disagree that Luger/Goldberg sucked though, it wasn't a classic but it was exactly what it should have been, Luger trying to use veteran tactics and playing chickenshit heel while Goldberg mowed through him after a few minutes. WCW TV was amazingly good at times so I can't accept that we are better than they were overall, but if you're talking about the late Russo stuff then yes, I'm happy to confirm we have a much better product than WCW did at the time. Your love of Scorp/Benoit warms my heart, I adore that match and both those guys deserve a gold star for being one of the best things about WCW at the time of their relevance.

Just listened to sin. Great coverage on Sid's leg. And good on you guys for pointing out Animal and Johnny' brotherhood. I recently watched this event and had those same sentiments. I will say, overall, I like what they were doing with Scotty at this time. They were building something with him. The ending of that match would have sucked less if they had just pulled Sid and that leg that was twisted up to his thigh out. But you guys were right he shouldn't have been jumping off the top rope anyway. What the fuck?!

Protector of the Oomph
    2001 was far from perfect but there were some things going right. I don't know if they were going to reset titles at Big Bang but, if they weren't, and if they kept Scott doing this all the way to Starrcade before having the payoff of Goldberg's revenge, i think that could have potentially attracted a decent audience.

The Brain
    I wish WCW had done LESS coverage on Sid's leg... I saw that clip way more times than I ever needed to.

Scott Steiner was GOD at that time. I just had an argument with some people on facebook about whose fault it was he flopped in WWE in 2003. Their argument was that Triple H sold fear of him and therefore WWE was behind him, but to me that misses the fact that they immediately cast him as a face, which was all wrong for him, and they threw him into a 20 minute WWE style main event with Triple H at his most boring, which was guaranteed to be lame. Apparently he was also working hurt at the time, though I'm not sure of the details on that. I hate that it was a bust, whatever the reason, because that's the enduring memory people have of Big Poppa Pump now. Damn narratives!

Protector of the Oomph
    Face? Heel? Anything short of his entering WWE as an uncaged monster, attacking anywhere and everywhere, because he could, was short of what he could have done. A single-man outsider. Building him up to job to Triple H is not even an individual script. It's a once-size-fits-all nuclear script for all WCW guys, probably because Triple H can't change that he was less than a mid-carder in WCW.

The Brain
    Yeah, bringing him in to lose right away was another obvious one that I didn't even think to mention. Peak Steiner was a force of nature, and the presentation was just completely not there.

In honor of Scott Steiner's run, along with his upcoming Superbrawl match with Ric Flair here's the best of compilation showcasing his best and forgotten character highlights. 4:25 is when it gets hilarious and 11:50 enters his World Title reign. The guy is just relentless with insulting Ric Flair constantly with shit talk.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=270s&v=YD9SXH4T4Fc
    Last edited by CanadianCrippler; 04-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.