Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: General TV Discussion Thread

The Hurra Duff

General TV Discussion Thread

Anyone catch the premiere of Hostages on CBS last night?

I really enjoyed it. Great cast. Toni Collette, Dylan McDermott, Tate Donovan.

Mom was pretty funny too.

In general, I love TV.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    I haven’t watched Hostages or Mom yet but did DVR both shows last night so I will watch them. Fox kicked things off last week but this is the first week of the fall TV season for the other three major networks so we’ll be seeing a lot of new shows premiere. I am really looking to checking out The Michael J. Fox show (it has gotten a lot of favorable reviews based on what I’ve read) and the new Robin Williams series The Crazy Ones. They both premiere on Thursday a night that once again this season looks like it will be loaded.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. starts tonight. Gonna give it a shot and see how things go. I'm really interested in seeing how they bring Coulson back from the dead and what minor heroes they'll have on the show.

The Hurra Duff
    Glad The Michael J. Fox Show and The Crazy Ones are on half an hour apart (8 PM Central for MJF and 830 for Crazy Ones).

Really didn't want to choose between them.

Thursday is always a big night for TV but I am really interested by a lot of tonight’s offerings as well. Dad’s wasn’t so great last week but despite a low tolerance for Andy Samberg I really liked Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is going to be a guaranteed hit and the two comedies that follow it have both gotten favorable reviews. One review I read compared The Goldbergs to an updated version of The Wonder Years. If any of that is true then I know that I’ll love it. I am also excited about the return of Person of Interest and its move to Tuesdays. When Supernatural returns in two weeks that will be on Tuesday as well.

Agents of SHIELD was different. I'll put my notes in the comic tv thread.

Dad's would be so much better without the laugh track. I've watched both episodes and have found myself not laughing at jokes just to spite the laugh track. I'm not sure if I'll continue watching or not.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is in the same boat for me. Samberg annoys the fuck outta me, but then he'll do something funny. So I don't know it's another on the fence show.

I liked Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

After reading some positive reviews I was a little disappointed with both The Goldberg’s and Trophy Wife. Neither show was so bad though that I’ll write them off after just one episode. So I’ll keep watching and hope that they both get better.

The Hurra Duff
    Looking forward to the premieres of both the Michael J Fox Show and The Crazy Ones tonight.

I thought The Black List was quite good.

I'm not the biggest fan of procedurals but I also thought the Blacklist was great, mainly because of Spader. I thought Hostages was terrible. The acting in those two shows are like night and day (Toni Collette is usually good though).

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm a Dylan McDermott fan.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hurra Duff View Post
    Looking forward to the premieres of both the Michael J Fox Show and The Crazy Ones tonight.
    So do I. Thursday is a big night for TV anyways and the return of two huge stars to the small screen has me excited. Iíve got high hopes for both shows. Iíll try to watch them both in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of procedurals but I also thought the Blacklist was great, mainly because of Spader. I thought Hostages was terrible. The acting in those two shows are like night and day (Toni Collette is usually good though).
    I donít really know what to expect from The Blacklist but a lot of people have told me itís good. So Iíll check it out.

I also watched Hostages tonight and didnít care for it much. The star power is there but the acting was pretty weak and the back story not really new, exciting or all that compelling. Although it will be a good pairing with Blue Bloods I wish that CBS didnít take Hawaii Five-O off of Monday nights.

I did end up liking the new Anna Faris series Mom a lot more than I expected. Itís a much better sitcom than Dads.

The Hurra Duff
    The Crazy Ones beat The Michael J Fox Show by nearly two full points in the ratings (4.0 vs. 2.1) and had over double the viewers (15.6 million vs. 7.3 million).

That being said I enjoyed both. Williams and Fox are easily the best things about both shows.

I am sure that having a brand new hour of The Big Bang Theory as a lead in helped the ratings for The Crazy One’s quite a bit. I am looking forward to watching both shows.

The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife and Brooklyn Nine-Nine all had some funny moments but I think that I caught my favorite new sitcom of the season so far last night when I watched Back in the Game. I must admit that I’ve always really liked Maggie Lawson so that helps sway me a little. It also helps though that the show is actually really funny.

The Hurra Duff
    Just read that Wilfred will not be on FX but rather, FXX next year and that season 4 will be its last.

Guess ratings dropped a bunch from season two to season three.

GloryholeThemePark
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox1981 View Post

I don’t really know what to expect from The Blacklist but a lot of people have told me it’s good. So I’ll check it out.
    It's a good show, but my gripe is they dumb down some of the other characters (Lizzie) and the CIA to emphasise Reddington's character. Spader is good enough of an actor that they don't need to dumb down the other characters. It's worth a watch. If I had to give it a rating I'd give it 3 Truck Stops out of 5.

I actually just finished the first episode of The Blacklist before coming online getting my first taste of the show. Spader was great as usual and really convinced me the show is worthy of occupying space on my DVR. It had some problems like all shows and it will take some time to flush out the characters before I become truly invested in it. So far though I have to say it might be my favorite new drama of the season.

As for Wilfred I still love the show and wish it wasn’t going off the air after next season. It will be really interesting though to see how they wrap it up.

Poor Wilfred.

I watched the second episode of Agents of SHIELD last night and wasn't too impressed. Coulson is for sure the rock of the show, but the rest of the cast hopefully gets their shit together or it'll be a bumpy ride.

*edit* Just realized Emma Roberts is in American Horror Story: Coven. Is it too much to ask for a lesbian scene between her and Alex Breckinridge?
    Last edited by FoonZeeS; 10-03-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Sleepy Hollow was the first new show to get some good news this season. No it didn't get a "back 9" order for more episodes in season one, but FOX did pick up the show for a second season already.

Once I saw the headless horseman wielding machine guns I turned the channel.

I really want to like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but it's not very good.

Sleepy Hollow was the first show to get picked up and today Lucky 7 was the first show to get axed. It was a good idea for a show but the execution wasn’t good. There were defiantly elements of it that had me rolling my eyes more than once.

NBC also picked up The Blacklist for a full season and Fox renewed my all-time favorite show The Simpsons for an unprecedented 26th season.
    Last edited by lunchbox1981; 10-04-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Today CBS gave us our second cancelation of the season when it brought the hammer down on We Are Men after just two episodes. It starred a very good cast of actors including Kal Penn, Tony Shalhoub and Jerry O’Connell but despite that was universally panned from the start.

The good news about this move is that it gives CBS a place to slide in season four of Mike & Molly starting on November 4th.

The Hurra Duff
    I think I heard We Are Men was the lowest rated CBS comedy premiere ever.

It looked dreadful.

Nobody wants to see Jerry O'Connel on their TV screens.

Not surprisingly ABC picked up Marvel’s Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. today for a full season. I knew it was going to be a hit before it even debuted.

The Hurra Duff
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Nobody wants to see Jerry O'Connel on their TV screens.
    Tomcats was the only thing I found him tolerable in.

For the first time ever Matt Stone and Trey Parker missed the deadline for getting a new episode of South Park to air. So there will not be a new episode tonight. Instead they'll play one of my favorites in Scott Tenorman Must Die.

The Hurra Duff
    Did they say why it didn't get to air in time?

The power went out at South Park Studios last night.

It'll air next week.

Well that sucks. Although one of the things I love about South Park is how fresh and topical the show is. They can do that because of how they show is made so close to air. So this was bound to happen sooner or later. Its not so bad though we just get a repeat this week instead of next week.

i can't jump into the boardwalk empire thread 'cause I'm only 3 episodes into the season and I don't wanna read spoilers. It's started off kinda slow (imo)....does it pick up a bit (no spoilers please)?

I've only seen the premiere, but from what I understand it's just like every other season so far. Apparently it hasn't kicked into that other gear yet, but most people seem to think it will. With this show, I just try to enjoy the performances and the story until everyone starts dying.

that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I love it but I am fascianted by mob shit. Lots of Chicago stuff.

You can add Ironside and Welcome to the Family to the list of canceled shows as NBC brought the hammer down on both today. I didn’t like Ironside enough to even finish the first episode so I won’t miss it. While the one episode I saw of Welcome to the Family was at least tolerable. However when compared to some other new sitcoms this season like Back in the Game, The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife, The Michael J. Fox Show and The Crazy Ones it fell way short.

I guess that it wasn’t all bad news for NBC though as they ordered four more scripts of Sean Saves the World and set a premiere date of January 2nd for the return of Community and January 8th for the Chicago Fire spinoff Chicago P.D.

While over at CBS The Crazy Ones, Mom and The Millers all received full season orders.

The Hurra Duff
    I never even saw a commercial for Welcome To The Family.

So, I'm like browsing the intrawebz right? I'm just scrolling along, minding my own business when BAM! out of nowhere I read that Jerome Flynn used to be a pop star in Britain. Motherfuckin' Bronn, man.

Henchman 21
    Looks like I am going to have to watch Lifetime of my own free will. They picked up Betty White's Off Their Rocker after NBC screwed the show over and then dropped it. The promo has Betty doing the Miley Cyrus thing with wrecking ball and foam finger. Man she is CLASSIC!!! Scientists better find a way to keep her alive forever.

It has been universally panned going back to before the pilot had even aired. However that didn’t stop FOX today of picking up Dads for the back 9. That means the show will get a full 22 episode season.

I honestly wonder how much of that has to do with one of the shows executive producers being Seth MacFarlane.