Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General TV Discussion Thread

The Hurra Duff
    ^^^^
    I think that has everything to do with it.

The Hurra Duff
    This story seriously pissed me off.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=110845

BrianLara
    All the existing characters will feature in it right? I hope it doesn't goes like the spin off of Friends 'Joey' which was not that successful.

I think I've been watching too much tv. I just counted last month as the 26th season I've been "on the air".
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    So ABC has picked up The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife for a full season order giving both shows a back 9. They also ordered more episodes of the Rebel Wilson series Super Fun Night while basically canceling Back in the Game after its original 13 episode order ends. It won’t be picked up. I am glad that The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife will get full seasons since they are two of my favorite new shows but am upset that they’d cancel Back in the Game while asking for more of that terrible Rebel Wilson series. At least Maggie Lawson still has Psych for now.

With Back in the Games fate already decided and Super Fun Night under performing in its post Modern Family timeslot I wonder if they’ll shake things up and move one or both of the Tuesday comedies to Wednesday.

Henchman 21
    Just saw The Greatest Event in Television History. Not as good as the first one but better than the second one. Can not wait till January to see what they do next.

#WeGotTheShot

Fox continues to be in the Seth MacFarlane business. Even though The Cleveland Show is off the air and American Dad will be leaving the network after this season. They have ordered 13 episodes of a new series of his called Bordertown. Set in a fictional town on the US and Mexican border you can pretty much assume you know what the show will be about since most of his shows don’t change much. It will premiere in the 2014—2015 TV season.

The Hurra Duff
    Starting to think MacFarlane is a one trick pony.

Family Guy is good (it peaked though in that Multiverse episode) but I've never cared for any of his other shows.

Ted was ok but it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be.

I've known for a while he was a one tricky pony. He does that one trick well though because people keep watching his shows. I've always liked Matt Groening a lot more. His two shows The Simpsons and Futurama are very different and both equally entertaining. All of Seth MacFarlane's shows have a similar vein running through them.

I also didn't think Ted was that great. I liked it enough but not nearly as much as some of my friends who really talked it up to me.

The Hurra Duff
    ^^^
    I felt that you saw 90% of the funny parts in Ted in the trailer/commercials.

That is true. Whenever a movie does that it’s usually not a good sign of things to come. Plus I didn’t bother seeing it in theaters so when I got around to watching it at home I had months and months of people in my ear telling me how good it was. 9 out of 10 times with a build up like that the movie is bound to disappoint.

The Hurra Duff
    I didn't see it in theaters either.

Well it seems to be official. CBS has ordered a How I Met Your Mother spinoff of sorts. The show tentatively titled How I Met Your Dad will feature an all new cast and tell the story of how woman met her husband. So what’s the consensus here? Is this a terrible idea or a really terrible idea?

I enjoyed the Eastbound and Down series finale a lot tonight. It was a great finale and Sacha Baron Cohen was hilarious in it as a guest star. Sucks this is the end of that show because this last season has been great. Kenny Powers was a great character.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 11-17-2013 at 11:45 PM.

A Professional Sort Of
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox1981 View Post
    Well it seems to be official. CBS has ordered a How I Met Your Mother spinoff of sorts. The show tentatively titled How I Met Your Dad will feature an all new cast and tell the story of how woman met her husband. So what’s the consensus here? Is this a terrible idea or a really terrible idea?
    I think it would be a good idea, if it was completely different cast altogether. But the show will have to be completely different, not showing up to a bar every three or four scenes. I think there would be some scope for some crossover however.

I thought it was very interesting that Netflix now has the first 4 seasons of Dexter. That's actually a good, morbid stopping point for people that haven't seen it and don't wanna sour on it.

SIMPSONS IS BEING SYNDICATED!!! All episodes of Simpsons will start airing on FXX next summer and will also be streamed.

LOS ANGELES, November 15, 2013 – After a vigorous bidding war which resulted in what is believed to be the biggest off-network deal ever, FXX has secured the exclusive cable, VOD and non-linear rights to The Simpsons, the longest-running, most successful comedy series in television history, it was announced today by John Landgraf, CEO, FX Networks and FX Productions and Chuck Saftler, President, Program Strategy, and COO, FX Networks.

The longest-running scripted show in television history, The Simpsons has remained one of the most groundbreaking and innovative entertainment franchises, recognizable throughout the world. Currently in production on its record-annihilating 25th season, The Simpsons has won 28 Emmy Awards, and was nominated for an Academy Award in 2012 for the theatrical short “The Longest Daycare.” It has been the subject of a hit feature film, created a revolutionary virtual coaster ride at Universal Studios, received a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame and has been honored with five U.S. postal stamps personally designed by creator Matt Groening. Named the “Best Show of the 20thCentury” by Time magazine, The Simpsons was also named “Greatest American Sitcom” by Entertainment Weekly in 2013.

Beginning in August 2014, through its landmark deal with Twentieth Century Fox Television, FXX will become the cable network home for all seasons of The Simpsons, excluding seasons airing in their first run on FOX. FXNOW, the soon-to-be-launched mobile viewing app of FX Networks for its authenticated subscribers, will be the exclusive non-linear home for all seasons of The Simpsons, excluding seasons airing in their first run on FOX. FXX and FXNOW will get subsequent seasons of The Simpsons as new seasons begin their first run on FOX. For example, beginning in August 2014 FXX will have access to 24 seasons (530 episodes) of the series. Beginning in September of 2014, FXX will have access to the 25th season of The Simpsons, when season 26 debuts on FOX.

“The Simpsons is indisputably one of the greatest shows in television history,” said Landgraf. “We are honored to have it associated with FX Networks and FXX. This was a very long, hard and complicated negotiation and I credit the relentlessness and diligence of Chuck Saftler for getting it done. I also want to thank Gary Newman and Dana Walden at TCFTV, and Greg Meidel and Steve MacDonald at Twentieth Television. Most important of all, I want to thank Jim Brooks, Matt Groening and Al Jean and everyone at Gracie Films for this new partnership.”

Saftler said, “Woo Hoo! The Simpsons is the crown jewel of television and the longest-running, most successful comedy series in television history, which is testament to the amazing talents of Jim Brooks, Matt Groening, Al Jean, and the Gracie Films team. This is a historic deal for FXX and FX Networks and I don’t believe there will ever be another one like it.” Saftler negotiated the deal for FXX and FX Networks along with Chris Antola, Senior Vice President of Strategic Programming, FX Networks.

“The Simpsons long ago crossed over from ‘brilliant award-winning comedy series’ to ‘full-fledged cultural phenomenon,’ and this landmark deal is a testament to its enduring power and relevance,” remarked 20th Century Fox TV Chairmen and CEO’s Gary Newman and Dana Walden. “Matt, Jim and Al continue to deliver one of the most ingenious creations of the modern era, and we could not be more excited that the ever growing library of more than 500 episodes will now be available to FXX viewers. The passion for this property from John, Chuck and everyone at FX was overwhelming, and we are grateful to Greg, Steve and Lori Bernstein in constructing this complicated and groundbreaking deal.”

The Simpsons is a Gracie Films Production in association with 20th Century Fox Television. James L. Brooks, Matt Groening and Al Jean are the executive producers. Film Roman, a Starz Media Company, is the animation house.

I'm half way through season one of american horror story and I'm loving it. Anyone here watch??

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    I thought it was very interesting that Netflix now has the first 4 seasons of Dexter. That's actually a good, morbid stopping point for people that haven't seen it and don't wanna sour on it.
    They actually had them for a while but were taken off about two years ago after a fight with Showtime. It still has my viewing history of it back then too which I found odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashaband View Post
    I'm half way through season one of american horror story and I'm loving it. Anyone here watch??
    I think that show is the next one on my list. Might as well let season 3 play out and watch 'em all.

Netflix can get pretty creepy sometimes.

Season 1 is very good. Season 2 is very weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashaband View Post
    Very good show. And one where you don't have to watch one season to watch another since each one is its own self-contained story.

Season three has been very good and it looks like shit is about to hit the fan for all involved.

The Hurra Duff
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox1981 View Post
    Worst idea I've heard in awhile. That show wore out its welcome with me years ago and I doubt I'll watch the spinoff.

Is HIMYM only appealing to couples and married people? I've tried watching it and I think it's absolute shit. Yet all my friends who have significant others love it.

Goldberg Rules!
    It's dogshit awful, like pretty much every sitcom nowadays.

I tried watching it to see what all the fuss is about and there's absolutely nothing to fuss about. I typically give a show four episodes and I did that when it came on Netflix. Dogshit awful is accurate.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FoonZeeS View Post
    Is HIMYM only appealing to couples and married people? I've tried watching it and I think it's absolute shit. Yet all my friends who have significant others love it.
    I like it, if for no other reason than Barney constantly keeping the laughs coming.

The latest season has been pretty weak. They introduced the Mother at the end of the last season, so I expected that this season would be them explaining how they met and got together and the like, but instead it's taking place over the course of a single day and they seem to be going through her meeting every one of his friends before he meets her.

Would it be too much to ask to get a twist ending where he's been talking to doctors at an asylum or it's been revealed that he made it all up and they actually met at a skeezy bar or from a one night stand?

Don't WHAT? Me.
    I don't find it funny either, but I get the appeal of it. I don't understand the stranglehold CBS has on American Television.

The Hurra Duff
    FX has ordered a 13 episode run of The Strain based off a book series by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.

It's gonna be coming on during Raw, but I will be going out of my way to check out Chozen on FX.

Season 4 of Game of Thrones has finished filming, and all I want for Christmas is a trailer. By all accounts, there are some serious deviations from the books this time. Like, if you already bitch about it, then you might wanna consider doing yourself a favor and not watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hurra Duff View Post
    FX has ordered a 13 episode run of The Strain based off a book series by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.
    I enjoyed the books. Cant wait myself.

The 8 pm (central time) slot tonight is gonna be a fucking juggernaut. We got what a lot of people will call the biggest regular season NFL game, the season finale of Boardwalk Empire, and a rejuvenated Walking Dead. Does anyone else decide what they watch according to what's easiest to download? I'll be watching the game tonight, and tomorrow will consist of Survivor Series and two of my favorite shows.

The Hurra Duff
    I will watch the start of the game, watch Walking Dead at 8 CST, and then watch the rest of the game after that.

Goddamn at all the deaths this week. Clay, Richard, and now Brian. I blame George R. R. Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by FoonZeeS View Post
    I love the show and I'm not married or in a relationship. I also enjoyed Friends a great deal too though; something about that kind of dynamic those shows present is just a draw to me. I will say though that HIMYM isn't as strong now as it was before; Seasons 1-7 I thought were excellent, while the last two have had flashes but have overall been inconsistent.

How in the hell could Family Guy kill off Brian? I can't imagine watching the show without him in it.

Goldberg Rules!
    Whereas I can't imagine watching the show.

Lots of petitions and protests due to Brian's death. Too bad people can't be as passionate about shit that actually matters.

The Hurra Duff
    FG shoulda killed Meg. No one likes Meg.

I say good riddance. Family Guy is pretty much overrated anyways (it’s my least favorite Fox animated series) and Brian was the thing I liked least about the show.