Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movie Poster Challenge

The Movie Poster Challenge

Hey, it's another one of these.

I figured that if the Album Cover Challenge was doing well, why not throw out a movie poster one? Movie posters are often just as iconic as album covers, with many gracing t-shirts and film fan walls.

This is a pretty simple concept. There are 9 different movie posters represented in the image below, each numbered. You just have to guess the movies. That simple. Whomever gets the most right gets to put together one of their own.

I would like to make one change from the Album Cover version. I think it would be more fun if each Challenge is genre specific. For instance, Comedy or Best Picture Winners or War or 80s or Chick Flick, so forth and so on. If you guys don't like that idea, we can abandon it and just proceed as usual with no real rhyme or reason.

Whether the genre concept sticks or not, it'd probably be a good idea to not get too vague. This isn't a vehicle through which to show off your knowledge of vague German expressionistic silent films. It's supposed to be a game that people can actually win so that it carries on, you know? Sure, not every one will be guessed in some instances and it's perfectly cool to get somewhat vague with an indie or arthouse flick here and there, but let's try to keep it in the realm of at least commonly available flicks that you wouldn't have to be a full on film fanatic to guess.

One more thing. Make sure you're using an image from the original movie poster. There are a lot of variants out there these days and there's no way in hell that we'd have seen them all.

I'm kicking things off with Horror, naturally. I'd say that this one is of mild difficulty to a horror buff and maybe medium difficulty to the casual movie fan. Some of them will be full on obvious to fans of the genre (a couple may be obvious to even those with only a cursory knowledge) while a few others are a bit more vague.

Horror

1) A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4: The Dream Master (Eddieg2005)
    2) Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight (Eddieg2005)
    3) Arachnophobia (TripleR)
    4) Evil Dead 2 (TripleR)
    5) Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood (TimR)
    6) It Follows (Eddieg2005)
    7) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (TripleR)
    8) Strangeland (Prime Time)
    9) Candyman

3. Arachnophobia

Good get. I tried to make it kinda, sorta vague by only including the strand of web instead of the full on spider over the moon. Such a cool, underrated poster and movie.

Squared
    Really not my genre and some of the others will doubtless clean up, but I want to have a guess to be involved and because I love the idea of the game . Even if my guess is rubbish.

4) A nightmare on Elm Street
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-08-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Really not my genre and some of the others will doubtless clean up, but I want to have a guess to be involved and because I love the idea of the game . Even if my guess is rubbish.

4) A nightmare on Elm Street
    Shit, that's what I thought too because I knew I knew that one. 4 is actually Evil Dead 2

Squared
    So that wasn't an awful guess? Best result for me!

Sorry, Prime. I guess I should've maybe started with something a bit more general, like Comedy or Action. I just really like Horror posters.

You got another one, Roberto. That's one of those that's obvious to folks with a more than passing knowledge of the genre.

A lot of these are like right there in my brain, but I need to ponder them some more.

Squared
    No worries Steve. Judging by my performance on the music ones I'd only do slightly better on a genre I know well anyway!

7. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Right on. Another relatively easy one. It was tricky to pull a decent image off of that one due to either the title or Leatherface dominating most of the poster, both of which would've been dead giveaways.

Thinking 8 is one of the Hellraiser's but I can't be sure

Nope, not a Hellraiser flick. That one's a bit more on the vague side, probably the least known of the bunch.

Squared
    Going to put it out there: clues might be necessary.

Yeah, I was just about to ask that.

Here we go.

1) Alice wasn't in chains, but she did Master some sweet nunchakus.
    2) It's a damn shame that this TV show's leap to the big screen was killed by this movie's horrible follow up. It sucked. Except for Feldman, that is.
    5) Brute force vs telekinesis? Count me in.
    6) The most recent of all these flicks by far and one of the most acclaimed horror films of the last decade or so.
    8) Don't get it twisted, sister. This movie rocks.
    9) Horror classic. Horror classic. Horror classic. Horror classic. Horror classic.

Squared
    I understand the clue for number 8 but would have to Google it to get the answer.

5) makes me want to guess a film featuring telekinesis. Scanners?

I will say that if these come from franchises with more than one film and it's not the original I won't have a clue. Other than Scream I don't think I have ever gone beyond a first movie in a horror sequence.

No, not Scanners. Based upon your last sentence, there, there are two of these that you're probably not going to get, I guess.

Maybe it was a bad idea to start with horror. Either way, here are some more hints.

1) Four movies and still running strong? Damn. Show this franchise some glove.
    2) Heard any good stories from the mausoleum lately?
    5) Number 7 wasn't that lucky for our favorite goalie.
    7) The title of this one would be more fitting of a sequel.
    8) Weird world, isn't it?
    9) Better not tune into this one expecting The Rat Pack.

Agh this is a great thread. Mind you I'm only ever on here on my phone so don't think I'll be able to make one of my own.

Looks like the easy ones have already been said and I'm really struggling to think of some of the others.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4. I'm actually a fan of it. Don't find many others who are.

6. If I'm not mistaken is It Follows. Apparently a sequel may happen which would be interesting.

You're right on both. Do you happen to know the full Nightmare 4 title, though?

Is it not The Dream Master? Man you've picked some great posters. I've more than likely seen them all but can't bloody think of them.

You got it. I went with fairly "basic" flicks for this, besides maybe a couple that are a bit more vague. All of them are fairly well known, though, at least to genre fans. I'd wager that you'll at least have heard of every flick.

If you're a horror fan (which I'm guessing you are), you'll probably kick yourself over not recognizing at least one of the remaining ones. It's pretty iconic.

2. Tales from the Crypt

There have been multiple Tales From the Crypt flicks. You know which one this one is?

Let the record state that there's no rule against using Google. I just prefer to try and get it, myself. But if you pretty much know it and just need a boost, I don't see what that hurts. Image searching is cheating, though.

It's Demon Knight but I feel bad coming in with the steal like I did on Prime's wrestling one.

I KNOW number 9 but I can't pull it out of my mind. It's driving me crazy.

Yeah I've hit all my horror knowledge. I'm tapping out

Time for the last batch of clues. If this doesn't do it, nothing will and I'll just do the big reveal and pass things along, hopefully to someone who's better at putting together pictures.

5) This flick had nothing to do with a certain goalie taking on a late era WCW stable, though seeing him join The Millionaires Club would've been interesting.
    8) Inspired by the multi part Horror-teria track on Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry album, this flick was arguably ahead of its time in many ways by featuring an "online predator" gimmick all the way back in 1998.
    9) There's a hint in the bottom corner. If you can figure out what that's a picture of and you're even vaguely familiar with this flick, that should tell you. Otherwise, I guess you'll just bee out of luck this time.

I knew that #8 would be tricky and that many just flat out may not have seen it. That's about the most blatant hint I can give without just straight up dishing out the title of the flick. If you can't get it it off of that, you just straight up don't know it.

When #9 is revealed, some of you are going to kick yourselves.

I find it funny that the one that I thought perhaps the most difficult of the bunch, Arachnophobia, was the first one gotten while the one I felt most blatant and "gimmie" of the lot is still sitting there.

Squared
    Using the Google leeway you've given us, 8) Strangeland. I wouldn't normally but I have struck out so far and it seems others have too.

Not going to go for 9) because I had to image search it but I have heard of it, so the horror nuts will kick themselves for sure!

Strangeland is correct. Very, very cool flick that was, indeed, somewhat ahead of its time in many ways.

#5 Friday The 13th Part VII and one of my least favorite of the series.

You are correct. Do you happen to know the subtitle?

It's somewhere in the middle for me. But it does boast my absolute favorite Jason look.

Sorry, the New Blood.

Its one of my top Jason looks for sure because of the Zombie get-up. Just didn't care for the movie itself.

I'm gonna go ahead and call this one so we can move things along.

#9 is the legendary 90s horror film, Candyman. It boasts one of my favorite horror posters of all time.

TripleR and Eddieg2005 have tied, with 3 correct guesses apiece. I'll flip a coin to see who gets to go next. Since Trips guessed correctly first, you get to call it.

Heads or tails, Roberto?

Heads good sir

I f'n knew it was Candyman! I was thinking it earlier today at work but wasn't sure if it was a bee or someone's face I was seeing in the corner. Agh well.

Also, Trips can make the next one as I have no idea how to do it or upload photos!

Thanks Eddie! So I guess I'm up then right? OK, this one should come as no surprise to any of you, so for this round we're going with my all time favorite thing in the world, COMICS! Comic movies aren't necessarily all capes and bad guys, so remember that when you're figuring them out. Ready? Then let's go!

MOVIES BASED ON COMICS

1. Judge Dredd (TimR)
    2. Howard the Duck (Powder)
    3. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (TimR)
    4. The Shadow (TimR)
    5. Red (Powder)
    6. Barb Wire (TimR)
    7. Swamp Thing (Powder)
    8. Scott Pilgrim Saves the World (Powder)
    9. Kick Ass (Powder)

Some of these are pretty easy I think, while others may take some pondering.
    Last edited by TripleR; 11-14-2017 at 03:00 PM.

8 is Scott Pligrim
    9 is Kick Ass
    5 Red
    3 Jonah Hex?

3 out of 4 for Powder.

#1 Ghost Rider

#4 the Shadow... also an underrated movie and character.

#6 Barbed Wire

I dunno the rest.
    Last edited by TimR; 11-14-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Jonah Hex is wrong...I knew it

2 Howard the Duck
    7 is Swamp Thing. I knew that was Adrienne Barbeau
    Last edited by Powder; 11-14-2017 at 02:15 PM.

1 out of 2 for Tim.