Thread: Crime Fiction thread

Squared

Crime Fiction thread

It's the most popular genre out there by a country mile. I guess everyone has read some crime fiction at some point, so let's have a thread for it.

I like my stuff hard-boiled. Raymond Chandler, James Ellroy, that kind of thing. How about everyone else?

The Brain
    I recently read something that kind of fits in this category, it was called "Blood Red Turns Dollar Green". It was basically a mix of pro-wrestling and the Godfather, set in a fictional but fairly accurate version of the wrestling scene in the 70s. It wasn't perfect but I still really liked it, it was fascinating to see a pretty well informed take on pro wrestling mixed in with another genre. I think there are more in the series so I may go looking for them at some point.

Squared
    That's an interesting sounding book. Don't think I've ever come across anything like that before.

I'm reading one of the Easy Rawlins books right now. Rawlins is basically a black Private Investigator working in LA, and the novels are set between the 1940s and the 1960s. The one I'm reading is called Bad Boy Brawly Brown, and is set in 1964 against the backdrop of Civil Rights and the kind of revolutionary groups that were going on at the time. It's pretty well-written stuff, all those details are going on but it's still a hard-boiled crime novel first and foremost.

I think the first Rawlins novel, Devil in a Blue Dress, was turned into a movie in the 1990s.

Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The first 200 odd pages were a little too slow, with so much details about architecture and furnishing and whatnot, even for characters that didn't matter in the long run or at all, but damn did the pace pick up after that! Finished the rest of it within a couple sittings. The intricacies of the inspection are genius, and anyone who has an interest in mysteries or detective novels would find the methodology adopted here, and the maze through which the case was solved, to be excellent. Watching the film prior to reading it didn't hurt one bit.

The Brain
    Nice! I did enjoy those films, especially the original. Maybe I'll need to pick up a copy of the book sometime, sounds like it's just as fun. I'd probably even enjoy the random descriptions, because I'm a huge nerd for random world building details.