Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestlemania 34 Card

Wrestlemania 34 Card

Hello,
    I was wondering what everyone thinks will be next year's Wrestlemania card?

The Brain
    Good question! I'm just assuming Reigns/Lesnar is a lock no matter what happens, but the rest of the card is up in the air. I've heard a lot of people pitch AJ vs. Nak, which I'd be cool with. My personal little pet dream has been that Braun wins the Rumble and finds a reason to go over to Smackdown and kill Jinder for the WWE title, assuming Jinder wins it back at some point. Supposedly Taker might work, so maybe we will finally get that Cena match? I'm not sure who else he'd even pair up with at this point.

I've heard rumors of a Triple H match, probably against Angle.

Squared
    Fuck me. Let's all listen to Born to Make You Happy and go on the Atkins diet, cos it's 2000 again.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I've heard rumors of a Triple H match, probably against Angle.

So now that Mania is ever so closer and the Rumble is right around the corner, what are the thoughts about the potential card?

Here's my thoughts.

RAW Matches
    Lesnar vs Reigns Uni Championship/IC Title for Title - Reigns wins
    HHH vs Strowman - Strowman wins
    Angle vs Jordan - Jordan wins
    Rollins vs Ambrose - ??? but I would give it to Ambrose
    The Bar vs The Revival - The Revival win
    Bliss vs Asuka - Asuka wins
    John Cena vs Samoa Joe - Joe wins
    Enzo vs ________ (I really do not care)

Smackdown Matches
    AJ Styles vs Nakamura for WWE Title- Nakamura wins
    Charlotte vs Ruby Riott???? Honestly no idea on who Charlotte faces
    The Uso's vs ???? - Usos win?
    Bobby Roode vs Baron Corbin for US Title - Roode wins
    KO vs Sami Zayn - KO wins

Smackdown is so much harder to figure out as there is less talent on the Roster and who the hell does Orton face?

Everyone else in the ARMBAR

Super Moderator
    I don't hate the card, but it's 15 matches. I mean, you could shove four or five of them onto the pre-show, but I think that the most likely course in this scenario is that KO & Zayn are teamed up to face the The Usos, and Rollins/Ambrose are tagging va Bar/Revival to make it a triple threat or four way with Gallows and Anderson.

I really, really hope we're moving toward a Jason Jordan heel turn for something that has to do with Angle, but my dream scenario has Angle calling upon Chad Gable to represent him, just to keep Angle out of the ring. I could also see the US Title becoming some multi-man match.

Really pulling for Styles vs Nakamura for the WWE Title, though. Take the reigns off and just let them go. Even if they only got 15 minutes, they could produce a classic WrestleMania match.

Squared
    Yes, that looks like a long show. Got to be pushing five hours if you want to get all of that on the card...

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I don't hate the card, but it's 15 matches. I mean, you could shove four or five of them onto the pre-show, but I think that the most likely course in this scenario is that KO & Zayn are teamed up to face the The Usos, and Rollins/Ambrose are tagging va Bar/Revival to make it a triple threat or four way with Gallows and Anderson.

I really, really hope we're moving toward a Jason Jordan heel turn for something that has to do with Angle, but my dream scenario has Angle calling upon Chad Gable to represent him, just to keep Angle out of the ring. I could also see the US Title becoming some multi-man match.

Really pulling for Styles vs Nakamura for the WWE Title, though. Take the reigns off and just let them go. Even if they only got 15 minutes, they could produce a classic WrestleMania match.

I didn't see RAW last night, but I read the report, and it appears that Jordan is building to a heel turn. instrad of calling Angle "Dad" he called him "Kurt" in a sarcastic manner.

And I originally had KO and Zayn vs the Usos, but I figured aftee this past year and all the work that KO has put in, he would get a singles Mania match.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-12-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Yes, that looks like a long show. Got to be pushing five hours if you want to get all of that on the card...
    mania was over 4 hours last year. Just the main card lmao

Squared
    Yeah, I know that. Was too long for my taste. Surely it can't get even longer, though?!

@lopprimetime

Iíll go for a card

Lesnar vs Reigns
    HHH vs Strowman
    The Undertaker vs John Cena
    Styles vs Nakamura
    Ambrose vs Rollins
    The Miz vs Kurt Angle
    KO/Zayn vs The Usos vs The New Day
    Shane McMahon vs Randy Orton
    Paige vs Asuka
    Charlotte vs Becky (heel)
    Andre the Giant Battle Royal

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    I’ll go for a card

Lesnar vs Reigns
    HHH vs Strowman
    The Undertaker vs John Cena
    Styles vs Nakamura
    Ambrose vs Rollins
    The Miz vs Kurt Angle
    KO/Zayn vs The Usos vs The New Day
    Shane McMahon vs Randy Orton
    Paige vs Asuka
    Charlotte vs Becky (heel)
    Andre the Giant Battle Royal
    Not criticizing, but questions:
    Why is Shane facing Orton?
    Why no Bliss?
    Why no Joe?

Joe will probably be in a nothing-mid-card match. Sad, but true.

Rousey is going to be on the card in some shape or form. Be it a singles match against Charlotte or the 4 v 4 tag match. But she'll be there.

Squared
    I am getting the feeling that there is way too much talent now for them to book a card that keeps everyone happy. No matter what you do someone will be left off the main show, and there'll be popular guys in matches their fans won't consider 'worthy' of them.

At the risk of sounding like I want people to miss out on the cheque, I can't help but think things were better when they booked a tight 3-3.5 hrs show and left it there. Especially when you are going to get hammered for it regardless.

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Not criticizing, but questions:
    Why is Shane facing Orton?
    Why no Bliss?
    Why no Joe?

It was pretty much off the top of my head.

Bliss doesn't scream Wrestlemania worthy right now to me like Asuka and a match with Paige fits better with me. Her title run has died down a lot.

Shane seems to be having some sort of storyline arc which will lead to an in-ring return. Once he's done with KO/Zayn, I imagine he'll need a new feud. He's been using Orton to do his dirty work and I imagine that will end badly, if WWE are writing it.

Joe is wasted time and time again. With Lesnar vs Reigns and HHH vs Strowman booked, I see him being forgotten again.

If I'm booking it, and including a pre-show:

Brock vs Braun (Uni Title, No Holds Barred)
    Styles vs Nakamura (WWE Title)
    Roman vs Seth vs Dean (IC Title)
    Roode vs Rusev (US Title)
    Usos vs New Day vs Breezango (Smackdown Tags)
    The Bar vs The Revival (Raw Tags)
    Zayn/Owens vs Shane/Bryan (Fuck it, why not? Or a substitute of Bryan's choosing, I suppose. Maybe Orton.)
    Samoa Joe vs Finn Balor (I guess?)
    Cruiserweight Title Gauntlet
    ATGMBR
    All the Raw women fight
    All the Smackdown women fight.

I mean, I imagine a lot of that won't be a million miles away from it, with the exception of the Uni Title and IC Title matches.

Wrestlemania 34 has the potential to open up Japan to the WWE more than it currently is. With NJPW gaining in popularity and recruiting Jericho to face Omega at their WM, the WWE will respond by having BOTH Asuka and Nakamura win the Rumbles to go onto WM34 and win both the WWE Title and RAW Women's Title.

Samuel Plan
    I'm not convinced WWE care quite that much about the Japanese market, which as far as I'm aware isn't even their second biggest. I also recall reading that Vince genuinely wasn't that bothered about Jericho turning up in NJPW. New Japan has been doing brilliantly; they're still lightyears away from being real competition for WWE though, outside of this insular online circle.

We actually spoke about the 'Mania 34 card on The Right Side of the Pond podcast this last week and we found it immensely difficult to shape, which is unusual at this stage in proceedings I think. I feel like that could either be a very good or very, very bad thing. I've still got fingers crossed they might have some sense and inject a third party into the Universal title match; Rollins being the sensible pick, considering the mirror image with 'Mania 31 they already have going on!

I know I don't want to see The Shield ever have a Triple Threat Match for a mid card championship though Oli. Shame on you.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    Out of curiosity, why not?

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    They're the top three names of their generation in WWE. When they wrestle in a Triple Threat it should be for far more than a mid card title, that frequently gets treated haphazardly.

Squared
    Maybe it's because I come from that time when guys like Undertaker and Warrior were challenging for the IC title if they weren't going for the world title, but I always like the idea of it being treated as like the next best thing you can be after the world champion.

I'd actually rather it as a triple threat for the midcard title than the top title. But I don't like triple threats for the world title as a general rule. It always feels like a cop-out to me, and I think the 2004 stuff with Benoit/HHH/HBK is the only time I've ever really gotten on board with the end product. I'm fair more happy with them further down the card. But that's just a personal thing, I guess.

@lopprimetime

Apparently we are getting Cena vs Taker at Mania.

Hmm...lots to be sold on that one, to be honest. Not sure I'm keen, but we'll see how they set it up. Especially concerning that it seemed like they were going to transition Joe onto Cena from Roman on Raw, which I was looking forward to. I don't want Joe to be yet another transitional feud for someone before they go on to a 'bigger' match, as it feels like that's most of what he's done in WWE.

Super Moderator
    I get it, they'll keep taking Undertaker back as long as he feels that he can work another match. That's fair. But after last year's send off, if just feels wrong.

Yes they sent off Taker, but no were was there ever an official retirement announcement. All Cole ever said was that Reigns may have retired the Undertaker.

The way this feud should get set up is the way I've said it for years. Taker comes out to a huge standing ovation and in his promo he says that there is only one match left that I want, and that is to face John Cena at Wrestlemania. Cena comes out and gives his promo, but says that the only way that he will accept, is that if Taker puts his career on the line. Taker responds with only if you put yours. Sell the career vs career match. It will draw huge because one way or the other we get a last match of the two biggest names left on the active roster. We all know that it will be Taker's last match, but with Cena doing more and more movies and TV the WWE could really sell it.

Squared
    I know there'll be people into it but my only real reaction is meh.

@lopprimetime

I'm stunned any one is stunned by this (except Powder. Good on you for not being stunned). Not once during the build up to the Reigns match last year did WWE ever promote or hint that the match may be Taker's last; the only people who thought it might be the case were fans (you know, the same people who thought Cena-Taker was happening every year despite WWE never hinting at that). Did anyone really think that Vince, the guy who milked the hell out of Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels' last matches for all they were worth, would really then just have Taker retire quietly? Not only would that be out of character for Vince but it be fucking dumb; why on earth would you have Taker's retirement be a low key thing when a full buildup for it could net a decent chunk of money? So no, the Reigns thing was never going to be his last match and that's fine. The only thing that isn't is that they had to do that now ridiculous post match thing where Taker left everything in the ring when they knew (more than likely) that they would try to talk Taker back the next year. Now it not only makes that moment look stupid but it's insulting to the fans, most of whom did buy he was done. It's not shocking at all, but it's certainly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Yes they sent off Taker, but no were was there ever an official retirement announcement. All Cole ever said was that Reigns may have retired the Undertaker.

The way this feud should get set up is the way I've said it for years. Taker comes out to a huge standing ovation and in his promo he says that there is only one match left that I want, and that is to face John Cena at Wrestlemania. Cena comes out and gives his promo, but says that the only way that he will accept, is that if Taker puts his career on the line. Taker responds with only if you put yours. Sell the career vs career match. It will draw huge because one way or the other we get a last match of the two biggest names left on the active roster. We all know that it will be Taker's last match, but with Cena doing more and more movies and TV the WWE could really sell it.
    If that's the way it's going to go and it's the only match left that he wants, Taker has no right to make demands. If Cena says he only accepts if Taker put his career on the line, Taker can't come back with he accepts only if Cena does the same. Cena has no reason to. He could simply say no. It's the only match Taker wants. Demands are moot. He does what it takes to get it. Not makes ultimatums.

Super Moderator
    No hint that he was retiring? How about Michael Cole, the guy you're supposed to trust as lead announcer and is supposed to have the answers, speculating as much immediately after his standing ovation ceremony; the entire WWE roster tweeting out #ThankYouTaker and reminiscing about the guy as if he'd died; and them making a big deal out of it the next night. Even the insiders seemed to believe that it was legit because it seemed as if even Undertaker thought that it was legit. The WWE wanted you to believe that he had retired. I get that it's a "just in case" type thing if it truly was his last match, but maybe take a step back at the time, let things settle down and you can do all that same stuff this year at the Hall of Fame if that's the case.

Like I said, I'm not super surprised since it's been widely reported every year that Undertaker is done but that come this time he decides he's got another one left in him so Vince books it. I don't hold it against anyone, least of all Undertaker for wanting that paycheque. And I'm sure that they'll come up with some sort excuse where he promos on Cena that he thought last year was it for him, but he's got one last ride in him (or something along those lines).

But at the end of the day after all of last year's pomp and circumstance following the match and all of the heartfelt love poured out by WWE stars and fans alike, if this truly is it it'll feel hollow and won't have a fraction of the impact after last year's fake out.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 01-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Squared
    ^ And unless Cena is going to work heel, I'm pretty sure he has to take the match without imposing conditions.

edit: arrow following on from Matt's post.

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieg2005 View Post
    If that's the way it's going to go and it's the only match left that he wants, Taker has no right to make demands. If Cena says he only accepts if Taker put his career on the line, Taker can't come back with he accepts only if Cena does the same. Cena has no reason to. He could simply say no. It's the only match Taker wants. Demands are moot. He does what it takes to get it. Not makes ultimatums.
    Point noted, but then Cena should still demand the retirement stipulation.

Hopefully the WWE knew what they were doing all along. During the Cena/Reigns promo/contract signing Cena says "I'm not the Undertaker. I'n not a battered veteran at the end of his career with a bad hip." This could be Taker's motivation for wanting the Cena match. Taker can say that heunderstand why Reigns would say that he retired me, because he beat him, but for a guy like Cena to try to compare himself to him....

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    No hint that he was retiring? How about Michael Cole, the guy you're supposed to trust as lead announcer and is supposed to have the answers, speculating as much immediately after his standing ovation ceremony; the entire WWE roster tweeting out #ThankYouTaker and reminiscing about the guy as if he'd died; and them making a big deal out of it the next night. Even the insiders seemed to believe that it was legit because it seemed as if even Undertaker thought that it was legit. The WWE wanted you to believe that he had retired. I get that it's a "just in case" type thing if it truly was his last match, but maybe take a step back at the time, let things settle down and you can do all that same stuff this year at the Hall of Fame if that's the case.
    Yes that all happened...after the match. Before the match? I don't seem to recall any sort hints or buildup suggesting Taker was retiring, aside from fans thinking it might be the end because WWE was finally going to turn Roman Reigns heel (look how that turned out). And that's my point; if it was really Taker's last match, wouldn't they have built it up as such? Wouldn't they have promoted it to draw as many fans in as possible? I'm no genius, but I'm pretty sure Taker's swan song, promoted properly, is a huge draw. Instead, they did none of that and only hinted that he was done after the match when he left all his shit in the ring. Nothing prior to that suggested it was his last match, and quite frankly, even doing that didn't prove it entirely for me because WWE is exactly the type of organization who would have someone do that, only to make it completely ridiculous later by having him return, thus making the whole thing hollow and everything else pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    I'm stunned any one is stunned by this (except Powder. Good on you for not being stunned). Not once during the build up to the Reigns match last year did WWE ever promote or hint that the match may be Taker's last; the only people who thought it might be the case were fans (you know, the same people who thought Cena-Taker was happening every year despite WWE never hinting at that). Did anyone really think that Vince, the guy who milked the hell out of Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels' last matches for all they were worth, would really then just have Taker retire quietly? Not only would that be out of character for Vince but it be fucking dumb; why on earth would you have Taker's retirement be a low key thing when a full buildup for it could net a decent chunk of money? So no, the Reigns thing was never going to be his last match and that's fine. The only thing that isn't is that they had to do that now ridiculous post match thing where Taker left everything in the ring when they knew (more than likely) that they would try to talk Taker back the next year. Now it not only makes that moment look stupid but it's insulting to the fans, most of whom did buy he was done. It's not shocking at all, but it's certainly disappointing.
    I too was shocked how everyone thought it was Taker's last match. Cena left his gear in the ring one time too in the feud with Styles and there were definitely people on this board thinking that was his retirement as well.

So did Mark Henry

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Yes that all happened...after the match. Before the match? I don't seem to recall any sort hints or buildup suggesting Taker was retiring, aside from fans thinking it might be the end because WWE was finally going to turn Roman Reigns heel (look how that turned out). And that's my point; if it was really Taker's last match, wouldn't they have built it up as such? Wouldn't they have promoted it to draw as many fans in as possible? I'm no genius, but I'm pretty sure Taker's swan song, promoted properly, is a huge draw. Instead, they did none of that and only hinted that he was done after the match when he left all his shit in the ring. Nothing prior to that suggested it was his last match, and quite frankly, even doing that didn't prove it entirely for me because WWE is exactly the type of organization who would have someone do that, only to make it completely ridiculous later by having him return, thus making the whole thing hollow and everything else pointless.
    See, that's the thing, though. If they don't specifically put the "you have to retire" stipulation on a match they are never going to do the big build. And the only reason that they haven't yet is that they never quite know if he's going to decide that he can go again.

Last year happened because, according to people with inside sources, even Undertaker thought he wouldn't be able to go again and that was indeed it for him.

Maybe Vince talked him into an angle, maybe he decided that he's got another match in him. But based on context clues and the words of people in the know in the company, it was believed that last year was it. It's not anyone grasping at straws or connecting dots that aren't there, it's taking the context of the moment, the fallout of the moment and the belief from people within the company that his match with Reigns was it.

Terry Funk has retired a dozen and a half times and is still wrestling. It's not some sacrilege to me. I couldn't care less. But that's the problem, after last year's moment and the fallout from it (whether WWE ever explicitly said that he had retired or not), I couldn't care less about his retirement now. Just like Terry Funk's next retirement.

I had tears in my eyes when both Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair had their "retirement" matches at WrestleMania. I choked up a little last year. If Taker comes back with a retirement stip and goes against Cena, for me at least, I won't feel anything.

Congrats to Taker on making one last (we assume) payday. I'm happy for the guy. And it'll probably move t-shirts and collectible figures and ringside chairs and those scraps of canvas that the sell. But at the end of the day it'll be a match that I know going in won't be great, already know the result of and had the emotional payoff for last year. Unthinkably, John Cena vs The Undertaker at Wrestle-freaking-Mania will be little more than a bathroom break.

Pretty much, if they had done Taker/Cena even like 3 years ago and it had a retirement stip, I think I'd be really hype for the match because I think Cena could get the best out of Taker that was left and there would be a little more doubt with the result especially if he still looked competent. Last year was a trainwreck, in a match where it shouldn't have been that hard to look passable. It was frankly sad to watch. I don't want to see that this year.

If it indeed does go ahead and Taker puts his career on the line I don't want him to be pinned. I want him to tap out in the middle of the ring.

If Taker comes out at Raw 25 in a Salmon blazer, we all know what's happening right?