Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrestlemania 34 Card

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    If Taker comes out at Raw 25 in a Salmon blazer, we all know what's happening right?

Perhaps he opts for purple instead.

While it would no doubt present a Mania moment, I'm struggling to get excited for this in 2018. At the very latest, it should've happened two years ago in Dallas. Between Taker's pitiful performance at WM33 and Cena's recent string of pedestrian PPV matches, it doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence. WWE should've had Braun retire Taker properly last year in Orlando.

I was also hoping they'd go with something along the lines of Cena vs. Joe at WM34. Reward the latter for being arguably the best thing on RAW over the past year.

I think the big issue here is that we are assuming two things:

1) last year was a formal retirement (which it certainly felt like and I would consider) BUT

2) that last year wasn't just the retirement of The Undertaker.

What if we see him as the American Bad Ass? I'm spitballing here completely, but it could put a fascinating spin on it.

I also think WWE likely wants to take the 'retired The Undertaker' tag off of Roman Reigns. If you're going to go with him as your company's top face, it's no good having him forever associated with retiring someone as legendary as that in kayfabe. It's too easy for fans to make that connection, and happened in too high profile a manner for it to immediately be rinsed off of Reigns. But bring Taker back again and you can clear that off the board.

Personally I would have had him retire after Brock. It was pretty much the point of Taker for the last few years that The Streak had defined him. Without it, I'd have just said 'even if you can go, we're not bringing you back. Here's a fat legends contract and a HoF induction'.

Has anyone considered that Taker might actually win and then retire?

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    What if we see him as the American Bad Ass? I'm spitballing here completely, but it could put a fascinating spin on it.
    He can barely move fast enough these days to convince people that he's a reanimated corpse. It might work if he can wrestle an entire match while sitting on his bike though.

Thinking out loud here. But would it be really cool, or really stupid if someone used the driving mini-ring entrance (from WM3) at WM this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Wrestlemania 34 has the potential to open up Japan to the WWE more than it currently is. With NJPW gaining in popularity and recruiting Jericho to face Omega at their WM, the WWE will respond by having BOTH Asuka and Nakamura win the Rumbles to go onto WM34 and win both the WWE Title and RAW Women's Title.
    Quoting myself here from January 2nd, I was right, and it answers New Japan.

Quoting myself here from January 2nd, I was right, and it answers New Japan.
    It doesn't. Due to the way Japanese culture is configured, there is a very strong tendency to favour a national brand/company over foreigners/gaijan. Foreign brands can only really work as a novelty and only for a while. They aren't really comparable to the UK, which is happy to jump along with whatever cultural trend is hot in the US at the moment; the Japanese are fiercely proud of their cultural uniqueness and independence.

The only way NJPW will ever be seriously challenged is by another Japanese company. And this problem is worsened by the fact that the WWE, at the most, only ever visits the same place maybe a few times a year at the most, because they're a global brand and basically go all over the states for their TV, and then across various countries for their house shows. They can't take on NJPW by just doing a few shows a year in Japan. They couldn't even if they did more, but they certainly can't with just a few.

It's incidentally the same with MMA in Japan. Despite the UFC's popularity, they haven't really broken into Japan because they're a foreign brand (among other reasons).

I disagree. The biggest wrestling company in the world will have it's two main titles on Japanese superstars at the end of the biggest wrestling event in the world, Wrestlemania.

Nakamura will have the WWE Title and Asuka will have the RAW Women's title.

And this is completely different from the pushes of ADR and Jinder. These stars got over in NXT and then on the Main roster and earned their shots, anf Japan will take notice

Well Asuka isn't going to have the RAW title anyway. She'll have the Smackdown title.

Everything Ally said above is completely true. The culture and loyalty Japan shows to their own is second to none. Even when Nakamura and Asuka win the titles I would say Omega will still be a bigger star in Japan over both of them for the simple fact he wrestles for their company.

I disagree. The biggest wrestling company in the world will have it's two main titles on Japanese superstars at the end of the biggest wrestling event in the world, Wrestlemania.

And this is completely different from the pushes of ADR and Jinder. These stars got over in NXT and then on the Main roster and earned their shots, anf Japan will take notice
    Which is precisely why after this weekend the photo on all the wrestling magazines in Japan was Kota Ibushi and Kenny Omega hugging. Which isn't to say that Nakamura or Asuka won't get noticed for their accomplishments, but it's not going to be as big as what's going on with New Japan, which while all the hoopla over here was going on only produced another two solid shows with the aforementioned Golden Lovers reunion and a legit match of the year candidate between Minoru Suzuki and Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Yes WWE is the most accessible promotion in the world and in some corners the biggest. It's not however, even the second biggest promotion in Mexico (where AAA and CMLL are far more popular) and it's arguably the fourth biggest promotion in Japan behind New Japan, Pro Wrestling NOAH and even All Japan. And it's not like the latter two are booming like they were before. No one is saying Nakamura and Asuka winning titles won't matter in Japan, but they're not going to hold a candle to what happens in New Japan, especially since New Japan will be having big things happening at the same time Wrestlemania is. I guarantee you now if Kenny Omega or Tetsuya Naito were to win the Heavyweight Title at Sakura Genesis in April (just a few days before Mania) it'll overshadow anything Nakamura or Asuka do.

That still won't matter. The very top WWE star could be Japanese (and let's face it, neither Nakamura nor Asuka are or will be *the* top star in WWE) and it still wouldn't matter. All it would mean is when they do their annual 1-2 dates in Japan, they'll get a sellout (which they already do, and did before, even without Japanese stars), and that's that. It isn't a basis for an expansion into Japan, which the WWE isn't interested in to begin with. They are not going to do the business that NJPW does there or rival it in any way. There is a reason why why even though the WWE swallowed the entire territory system, they never became the dominant company in Japan. Even a few years ago, before NJPW's recent resurgence, when big time wrestling seemed to be dead in Japan, even then, the WWE never attained a hegemonic position in Japan.

Edit: Also what Cult said. The cultural barriers and the fan preferences are simply insurmountable. Then there's the magazine industry in Japan (as Cult mentioned), which frames the way wrestling is perceived and consumed, and they're pretty much supremely indifferent or oblivious of WWE. The WWE rarely gets mentioned there. Asuka/Nakamura would get a mention/nod, and then be completely ignored afterwards, meanwhile all the covers and stories would be featured on national promotions.

Then there's also the fact that streaming services are not really that popular in Japan, for various reasons, and a very small proportion of Japanese people speak English. So that also limits any WWE expansion, and that isn't even mentioning the differences in the WWE's style of presentation (cringey filler TV 'sports entertainment') vs. Japan's sports-like presentation of wrestling with little soap opera.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-31-2018 at 12:34 AM.

Man, damn you, Iken! Great minds think alike. Was just about to come in here and mention the magazines and you swoop in and beat me! Couldn't agree with you more on the Sakura Genesis part btw.

I think it's going to make some waves in Japan that WWE are positioning two of their top titles to go onto Japanese waists pretty soon. Mind you, it's worth noting that not so long ago Japanese WWE Network subscribers and American NJPW World subscribers were pretty much at the same number:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/s...25508649803776

Equally, when NJPW went to Long Beach they had 2,300ish fans through the door each night. For Beast in the East WWE got 8,600 or so Japanese fans in the building.

It might not be significant news, but I think Asuka and Nakamura, especially, ending Mania on top will be reasonably big news in Japan. If I recall, I read something that said The Shield were (relatively) huge in Japan when they were a trio in WWE.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Yes WWE is the most accessible promotion in the world and in some corners the biggest. It's not however, even the second biggest promotion in Mexico (where AAA and CMLL are far more popular) and it's arguably the fourth biggest promotion in Japan behind New Japan, Pro Wrestling NOAH and even All Japan. And it's not like the latter two are booming like they were before.
    I also want to point out that, last I heard, Dragon Gate and DDT pretty handily destroy current NOAH and All Japan in terms of attendance and viewership. Not sure if that makes WWE #5 over there or not!

Been reading about some of the rumored matchups for Mania, and figured I'd try to put together what I think would be the best possible card, while keeping things realistic.

Universal Title: Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns (it's set in stone, no point in ignoring it)

WWE Title: AJ Styles vs Nakamura

John Cena vs Braun Strowman

Seth Rollins vs Kurt Angle (use the Jason Jordan storyline to lead to this - Jordan vs Rollins feels like a huge step down for Rollins, not a step up for Jordan, imo)

Triple H/Stephanie vs Samoa Joe/Ronda Rousey (Joe should be back by March - he and Rousey would make a great "legit" tough pairing, and would put a big spotlight on Joe)

Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn vs Shane McMahon/Randy Orton (I doubt Daniel Bryan winds up in this match - RKO is kind of without direction at the moment, so partner him with Shane)

Raw Women's Title: Alexa Bliss vs Asuka

SD Women's Title: Charlotte Flair vs Becky Lynch

IC Title: Miz vs Finn Balor

SD Tag Titles: Usos vs Bludgeon Bros

Andre Battle Royal: Jason Jordan wins

Bray Wyatt vs Brother Nero Hardy

Not sure what to do with The Bar or Bobby Roode - each of their title defenses would probably end up on the preshow. Probably also have a women's battle royal or multi-person tag to fill that out.

The Brain
    The idea of Cena/Strowman could definitely work, especially if they build it up like one of Cena's older matches where he eventually overcomes the monster, except this time he gets murdered. They kind of already did it for Brock but I think there's still some mileage in it.

I'm not a fan of Angle continuing to wrestle at all, and against Seth makes me a bit nervous as he's got a bit of a history with injuring others. I recognize that may or may not be his fault though, and it's probably inevitable that Angle will be on the card. Might be better to hide him in a tag match with Jordan, but then who teams with Seth?

I kind of like the idea of Joe with Rousey, I agree it would give him a nice spotlight. I'm not wild about Steph mixing it up with her but if she plays chickenshit heel it'll be tolerable. Hoping they keep the match under 25 minutes, whatever it is!

There's something underwhelming about that Shane tag match, besides the fact that Shane is in it. But yeah, in the absence of Bryan I'm not sure what you do with that spot.

Rest of the card looks ok, but yeah I'm not wild about leaving three of the best wrestlers in the company off the card so might need to find good opponents for them. Ziggler will probably need to have a spot too, since they made such a production of him leaving and coming back. And why does Jeff get to steal Matt's spot?? Matt is the one who is most over with the gimmick, so seems wrong to leave him off the card!

So Cena has been whining about that if he doesn’t win the chamber match, then he doesn’t have a path to Wrestlemania. We all know that he is getting a match, but who will it be against?

Right now there are three people that he could face at Mania: Strowman, Elias, Rollins.

I would rule Rollins out bc of the match last night. And unless Vince will let Cena put over either Elias or strowman he cannot wrestle either one. Neither should lose at Mania, and Strowman definitely needs to win and look good while doing it. Cena would be a perfect guy to make Strowman look like a million bucks so let’s hope that happens.

Taker

I hope so, but how do you introduce that after the chamber? Cena loses and he says that there is only one thing left for him to do? challenge the Undertaker?

I hope so, but how do you introduce that after the chamber? Cena loses and he says that there is only one thing left for him to do? challenge the Undertaker?

You just introduced it. This is exactly how WWE books lol

or you could have something like Taker challenge Cena after having enough of Cena's little shots over the years.. like Cena comes out, saying "i guess i won't be at mania guys.." Gong hits. I'm not sure if its likely at this point nor is it needed but if Taker is doing a match, that's the match.

Cena loses and he says that there is only one thing left for him to do? challenge the Undertaker?
    Neither appear enough to build a proper feud so it will basically go exactly like you say.

Samoa Joe could face Cena and makes more sense. They had beef before Joe got injured. He could even cost Cena at the Chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Samoa Joe could face Cena and makes more sense. They had beef before Joe got injured. He could even cost Cena at the Chamber.
    if he can be on tv the day after the chamber, then i'm all for it. Wanted to see Joe/Cena for years.. but reports said he was out til mid march.