Thread: Science Fiction Literature - Discussion and Recommendations

Squared

Science Fiction Literature - Discussion and Recommendations

I've read quite a lot of Isaac Asimov over the years, and a bit of Phillip K. Dick and Ray Bradbury and the like. And I know some of the Jules Verne and H.G. Wells stuff, too. But as I work my way through all that I'm looking for new avenues to explore, and I figure this is the kind of area where a little bit of local knowledge goes a long way.

So yeah, this thread is designed both for discussion of the genre in general, but also to try and show a bit of love to newer texts that might not have the reputation yet and to get the word out about them.

Any and all recommendations for authors or specific novels gratefully received.

Samuel Plan
    I'd love some too, actually!

I picked up some Asimov not too long back but never got the chance to really get into it. I think it was his Foundation trilogy in one really nice little hardback. Keep meaning to get back to that.

Philip K Dick is my favourite author bar none. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is remarkable. Really enjoyed Man in the High Castle too. Ubik is on my reading list; it's synopses seem to predict the plot of Inception so well up for that. I've got a couple of others of his too that I need to start on. Can't remember them both but one is The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, if anyone's read it? Human Is is a great anthology too.

I'm totally lost with modern sci fi so pointers welcome!

Squared
    I've got a couple, actually. I've been reading a few things of the Angry Robot imprint lately, so can offer a few contemporary options.

The first one was called Empire State, by Adam Christopher. It might be up your street actually, 'Plan. It's based on the idea of their being a kind of mirror of New York, but it's got a kind of noir-ish, private detective kinda kibe to it, as well as a kind of superhero element. Don't want to give too much away so I'll keep it here, but it's got those kind of elements to it and is written in a very plot-first, accessible kind of a way.

Currently reading the The Deaths of Tao, by Wesley Chu. I actually didn't know this was the second book in the series before I started, and that might mean it's better to start with the first, which I've learned is called The Lives of Tao. But the basic premise is that the indigenous species of earth have been acting as hosts for aliens for pretty much the entirety of the time life has existed on the planet - and basically all of our history, and our politics, is actually influenced and played out between the factions of these other aliens. Seems quite clever.

Basically, rather than taking chances I am exploring the shelves at the library, just chancing my arm.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Ilium and its sequel Olympos by Dan Simmons. First book is amazing. Second is solid. Not as great as the first.

"The novel centers on three character groups: that of Hockenberry (a resurrected twentieth-century Homeric scholar whose duty is to compare the events of the Iliad to the reenacted events of the Trojan War), Greek and Trojan warriors, and Greek gods from the Iliad; Daeman, Harman, Ada, and other humans of an Earth thousands of years after the twentieth century; and the "moravec" robots (named for scientist and futurist Hans Moravec) Mahnmut the Europan and Orphu of Io, also thousands of years in the future, but originating in the Jovian system."

I read the Asimov's Foundation trilogy a few years back and was impressed.

I've started a project this year actually reading most if not all of Peter F Hamilton's work. Currently on book 1 of The Night's Dawn trilogy.

Hamilton's pretty hard sci-fi but once the world building etc sinks into your brain, the stories are really good and pretty bleak.

'Plan - only PK Dick book I read was that Eldritch Palmer one. The final third literally blew my mind apart. Will need to give it another go at some point but with the Hamilton project (above post) taking up a lot of my 2018, it might be a while.

Squared
    So I tried Tomorrow and Tomorrow, by Thomas... Something or other, surname escapes me now. Really interesting concept, Pittsburgh has been wiped out and there's this whole archive by which the living remember the people killed there. But honestly I couldn't get on with it. I'd call it great idea, poor execution.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

Squared
    So I said in another thread I'd probably read some plays next but have sacked that off. Need something more fun. Have gone back to Douglas Adams and will work my way through Hitchikers around some other things.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"