5 - Part 3 in 3D
    6 - Part 5 - A New Beginning
    7 - Remake
    8 - Jason Goes to Hell
    9 - Part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan
    10 - Freddy vs Jason
    11 - Jason X
    12 - Part 7 - New Blood

I really hated part 7. I don't know why, because I love the sleeping bag kill, and Kane Hodder is my favorite Jason. But it just has nothing of value to it. Not much fun, not funny, very disappointing.

On the other hand, universally hated part 5, 8, and 9 I find to be much better than most reviews. Part 5 is deceiving without Jason, but I think it still tells a decent mystery story while being decently exciting. Jason Goes To Hell's body swapping gets trashed, but I have no problem with it at all. Once you accept that part of the film, it's another very solid horror flick. Not scary, but exciting and fun, with the unrated version's gore being the best of the series, in my opinion. And Jason Takes Manhattan doesn't deserve the shit it gets. It's nothing too special, but I think this has my favorite of the Jason chase scenes. I just find the NY chases to be better than vague forests. Plus Jason's kill of the Principal is a true enjoyment.

As you may have noticed, I'm doing sigs for all the Friday the 13th. No schedule to change to the next one, just when I feel like photoshopping a new one. It's just fun to have some non-wrestling content in a wrestling board. I'll probably do Child's Play and Nightmare on Elm Street eventually too.

Speaking of, I REALLY enjoyed Curse of Chucky. I would have gladly paid to see this one in theater, and hopefully the strong buzz for this straight to DVD release and hopefully strong sales help convince the right people to release the next chapter for cinemas.

Best of 2013? I don't know if these are all in the calendar year, but I think I watched all of the following since Jan 1st:
    • Maniac Remake
    • Curse of Chucky
    • American Mary
    • The Conjuring
    • Evil Dead remake
    • You're Next
    • VHS 2
    • Stitches

I'd say Maniac, Curse of Chucky and You're Next would be my top 3.

I love your current sig and I want to see the new Chucky flick. I should see if it's at Redbox.

Watched Open Grave last week and it was awesome.

Open Grave was fantastic.

Loved Maniac, Evil Dead, V/H/S 2 and Chucky.

Was supremely disappointed in Conjuring.

Haven't watched You're Next yet, though it's high on my list.

I couldn't decide which Jason to watch until I saw your rankings, Final Chapter it is.

Since you put in pretty much in the middle, what's your take(s) on the various changes the remake did? Killing in the day? Master archer? Cerebral sociopath? Seeing as I have no problem with changes made to source material and tradition, I thought it was a very fun movie. Perhaps one of the best of the remakes in the past decade. Halloween was probably the best, and Halloween 2 was most certainly the worst.

Was Freddy/Jason to you what Batman/Superman is to me (media salvation)?
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

The Brain
    Always preferred Michael Myers for my silent masked slashers, though it depends a bit on the film. Disagree that the Rob Zombie remake was well done, thought it had a ton of issues. Off the top of my head best really recent remake would be the Evil Dead one, not perfect but still pretty excellent. Over the decade I think I'd go with The Hitcher, also Dawn of the Dead is up there.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    I love your current sig and I want to see the new Chucky flick. I should see if it's at Redbox.
    I bought a Fright Rags limited edition shirt over a year ago with that Jason head images on the back. The front is a great version of how Jason ripped down Jimmy (Crispin Glover) from the doorway after he pinned the corpses' hands and feet with spiked. Viciously beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Watched Open Grave last week and it was awesome.
    I'm looking forward to this one. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by FoonZeeS View Post
    Open Grave was fantastic.

Loved Maniac, Evil Dead, V/H/S 2 and Chucky.

Was supremely disappointed in Conjuring.

Haven't watched You're Next yet, though it's high on my list.

I couldn't decide which Jason to watch until I saw your rankings, Final Chapter it is.
    I liked the Conjuring, but I can understand the disappointment. In general, I'm not interested in possession movies, nor ghost stories. All too similar. This one worked as a greatest hits collection of other similar movies. Innovative? Not really. It was just a lot stronger than most. Well directed, and acted with a standard story. If this had been released before Insidious, Devil Inside, Last Exorcism...etc, it wouldn't have been disappointing, in my opinion, at all.

Final Chapter is possibly my all time favorite slasher movie. It's got everything I look for in a mindless flick: lots of fast paced and exciting horror/slasher action, strong gore without it being gratuitous, some actually interesting storylines and characters (especially Jimmy and Ted), and a great killer/monster. This is Jason at his best. Pure evil, menacing, and vicious.

But I watched it 2-3 months ago, so I uploaded part 6 to the tablet, and went through it slowly over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    Since you put in pretty much in the middle, what's your take(s) on the various changes the remake did? Killing in the day? Master archer? Cerebral sociopath? Seeing as I have no problem with changes made to source material and tradition, I thought it was a very fun movie. Perhaps one of the best of the remakes in the past decade. Halloween was probably the best, and Halloween 2 was most certainly the worst.

Was Freddy/Jason to you what Batman/Superman is to me (media salvation)?
    Killing in the day wasn't a massive change to me. Part 6 had the paintball scene for example. In part 1, Jason's mother gets Annie and Ned both get offed in daylight.
    I was fine with the master archer. If we are to believe this deformed child survived in the wilderness for 20 years, I expect some survivalist skills.
    He was always cerebral in my opinion.
    I thought it was a pretty decent remake. I think it probably deserves a higher spot on my list, but nostalgia and excessive viewings of the original series probably sway my judgment. As a pure film, it's one of the top 5.

I liked the Halloween remake, as well as the sequel. Now, I hated H2 at first, but then I read an article on how the director's cut was a better version and gave it a shot. I won't say H2 is all of a sudden a classic, but it was much better. I think the Zombie Halloweens get raped undeservedly. A very common complaint about slashers is the lack of story involved, yet when Zombie combined that into a classic slasher, it's no good because he changed everything, and explained too much. I don't see the logic in that, but so be it. Either way, I'm glad I own both Zombie Halloweens, along with House and Devil's Rejects. I like his style, though I've held back for Lords of Salem.

Freddy vs Jason was my reason to breathe in 2003. I remember a trailer coming on while seeing something else months before it was released, and I was like a Star Wars nerd who didn't want to see any of the footage until opening night. I loved it at the time, and bought the DVD before it was officially released through less than legal ways.
    Now... it's painful. Story is awful, acting and dialogue is atrocious to ludicrous, and neither main villain really is themselves. Jayson is afraid of water? Freddy of Fire? If there weren't a history if sequels disproving these facts, I could accept it as part of the original mythology. But you can't just erase Jason's history in water in most of the movies. Barring the final battle, there's not a lot of fun in the movie either. The rave scene is stupid. It's too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Always preferred Michael Myers for my silent masked slashers, though it depends a bit on the film. Disagree that the Rob Zombie remake was well done, thought it had a ton of issues. Off the top of my head best really recent remake would be the Evil Dead one, not perfect but still pretty excellent. Over the decade I think I'd go with The Hitcher, also Dawn of the Dead is up there.
    Myers better than Jason? [censored flames]
    I personally don't find the original Halloween to be the 5 star classic the horror community claims it to be. There are some great touches that slasher rarely match, with the mask in the shadows being top notch. But the ending bugs me. I don't need everything to be explained or answered, but you can't have a human survive an attack like that without something to answer for it. There's a few things that are hard to have an impact on me after seeing the 80s slashers. Halloween might be one of the originals, but when you've seen 50 imitations first, the original loses impact.
    And the sequels do not help either.

Friday the 13th and Jason have a better overall record, in my opinion. I think it helps that it wasn't taken so seriously from the start. Halloween was so well respected that when the sequels were sub-standard slashers, it was a much steeper drop off. Friday's were middle of the road from the start, so there was no real dip. Keeps itself afloat that way.

As for remakes, I haven't seen most of them. I love horror, but I won't support something I know will suck. So I haven't seen Prom Night, Black Christmas, Hitcher, The Thing...etc. I liked Texas Chainsaw (the remake, not the latest 3D sequel), Friday the 13th, Dawn of the Dead, Evil Dead, Maniac...etc. Another decent one, especially because 'Tis the season, was Silent Night.

Only downright awful one was Nightmare on Elm Street.

I recently went on an 80s VHS/home video slasher kick. Sledgehammer was insane being both great and awful. Blood Frenzy was better than expected, watched that off youtube. I started Truth or Dare - A Critical Madness, but I've been turning these on as I go to sleep, so only catch 10-15 minutes at a time, and start over the next night. I'll review once finished.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    I like his style, though I've held back for Lords of Salem.
    I enjoyed Lords of Salem quite a bit, but man was it fucking weird.

Super Moderator
    I liked the Conjuring, but I can understand the disappointment. In general, I'm not interested in possession movies, nor ghost stories. All too similar. This one worked as a greatest hits collection of other similar movies. Innovative? Not really. It was just a lot stronger than most. Well directed, and acted with a standard story. If this had been released before Insidious, Devil Inside, Last Exorcism...etc, it wouldn't have been disappointing, in my opinion, at all.
    I thought Conjuring was okay. The pacing was a little odd, but I think it was a) because they were telling two stories at once (the family and the Warrens) and b) it stands to reason that a "real" haunting wouldn't have a slow build and would more likely be ramped up to 10 one night and dialed back to three the next depending on the mood of the entity.

It was nowhere near as scary as it had been built up to me as, though. An enjoyable hour and a half, no doubt, but nowhere near as scary. I think what took a little bit of the edge off was the fact that this was a movie about real people who I know lived past this point in their lives.

What do you think comes of this movie? It was rumored (confirmed?) that this was the first in a series based on the Warrens. Does that mean we're getting another Amittyville remake next? That's certainly what was implied at the end by their next case being in Long Island.

Anyone going to see the new Paranormal Activity in January? I'm a little excited for what they do with it in a new situation with new characters. I feel like the time to end the current story arc and start a new one has passed, so this little pitstop will be welcomed by me if I wind up seeing it.

THE MONKEY

Best of 2013? I don't know if these are all in the calendar year, but I think I watched all of the following since Jan 1st:
    • Maniac Remake
    • Curse of Chucky
    • American Mary
    • The Conjuring
    • Evil Dead remake
    • You're Next
    • VHS 2
    • Stitches

I'd say Maniac, Curse of Chucky and You're Next would be my top 3.
    No love for Insidious 2? Solid list other than that.

• Maniac Remake - I liked it but for some reason I expected a little more. I think it was a case of being extremely excited for it and it being overhyped.
    • Curse of Chucky - Probably my third favorite Child's Play flick and was very close to being a notch higher had a few small things knocked it down a bit for me.
    • American Mary - Surprised by the "less is more" approach but it definitely worked. Curious to see what the twins will do with "See No Evil 2" and is pretty much my only reason for actually actively seeking the film out when it comes out.
    • The Conjuring - James Wan really can do no wrong and while it wasn't his best it was still a very solid film, even if the advertising was misleading.
    • Evil Dead remake - One of the rare instances of me seeing a horror film in the theater twice. Initial impression was it's good but not great (again probably hurt by me being crazy excited to see it) but it holds up very well in repeated viewings.
    • You're Next - Still need to see it
    • VHS 2 - Didn't feel any of the segments were weak (Safe Haven was nuts) but I couldn't shake the feeling of "eh, part 1 was better"
    • Stitches - Such a fun film. Reminds me of the days of going to the video store and just seeing shelves of random horror movies but knowing they all brought there own charm, even the cheesy ones. Glad to see it get some love.

Feel like I really went light on horror this year (and movies in general). Like you though I'm terrible at remembering when films actually came out but I did watch the ABCs of Death this year which was hit or miss depending on the segments and Macabre which was kind of disappointing from what I got to see. Lords of Salem was good but that end was like WTF. Up until that point I was all in.

Not really sure what the next big horror flick I'm waiting on. Aja's "Horns" sounds good. Curious about "The Green Inferno" since it's a throwback to the old cannibal flicks. Also curious about "Sacrament" but I'm always skeptical about Ti West so who knows. Not sure when it comes out but also want to see what Gareth Evans and Timo Tjahjanto come up with. They hit it off when they were paired up for the "Safe Haven" segment and are gonna do a full length film together.

Pen, Black Christmas was really good.

Oh and I watched Curse of Chucky over the weekend. I really enjoyed it, but my daughter was bored.

I haven't seen Insidious 2 yet.

I liked VHS 2 over the first VHS, by far.

Xan, are you talking about the Black Christmas remake, or original?

Paranormal Activity isn't my type of movie, and they've been hit or miss. I didn't like 4 much at all. I'll see this next Latino based one, most likely, as I've never regretted spending the money for tickets on any of them, but it might be the last chance sort of thing.

I watched Antropophagus recently... really strained to keep my attention, but there was one ridiculously wild scene that made up for it. Not for everyone, but if you can handle it, there's a great cannibal moment.

Watched the Maniac Remake last night and it was pretty dope. Not too big on the POV thing tho. I'm gonna have to watch again because I'm hard of hearing and even with my volume all the way up it was kind of hard to hear Wood talk which took me out of the movie a few times. I liked Open Grave better tho.

The red head chick he met on the dating site was super cute tho. My kind of girl.

Watched The Bay. It was ass.

I didn't hate it. I thought there was a lot going for it, though it never fully clicked.

Most underrated sequel/franchise: Psycho. The original is an obvious classic, but the sequels are better than you'd expect after they were released in the era of slasher films. Sure, there's a blood and guts influence, but Psycho II is among the best horror flicks of the 80s, while never trashing on the original. Gearing up to watch part 3 and maybe 4 tonight. I haven't watched either in a while, but I remember enjoying them both.

Over the Christmas break, I watched The Funhouse for the first time. Some interesting stuff, but overall it was one of the lamer slashers of the time.

I'm also going on an early David Cronenburg kick. Started Shivers with the GF, we'll finish that soon, maybe this week. I started Rabid on my own, should be finished within days. Seen them both before, I miss horror films like those.

Mokar
    I haven't seen Insidious 2 yet.
    I liked VHS 2 over the first VHS, by far.
    I watched the 2nd insidious the other day and it was almost as good as the first. Still worth a watch as they continue the story with Josh, and other characters. Highly recommend you watch it asap. As for VHS2, I loved the aliens abducting the teenagers, and the zombie takeover in the woods, really cool to see a zombie use a shotgun. The VHS series has potential to be the next saw series for the next decade if continued to be done right.

I think the VHS series has potential as well. I won't say it's the next Saw series, because those were huge blockbuster films, and VHS is straight to DVD, but it should be a dependable series for home video horror fans.

Enjoy Bad Milo this week.

Finished Rabid. Enjoyable, though it does fall into some standard zombie fare. Thankfully the Cronenberg touches help have some aspects for it to stand out. I really enjoyed the scene near the end when the male lead is driving and get jumped by a zombie, and the martial law takes over. Basic, but creepy.

Psycho 3 was just as strong as Psycho 2. I think I'll need to look into those discs soon.

Looking forward to Almost Human.

Saw Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones last night. Better than most of them, though I still have trouble with found footage movies where it seems ludicrous for them to have the camera, or not drop it while being chased.

THE MONKEY
    ^ That's always been a pet peeve for me as well. There is no way that these people wouldn't just drop the camera half the time. They really have beaten this found footage genre into the ground quickly.

Super Moderator
    Planning on watching Insidious Chapter 2 tonight. Someone mentioned that it picks up almost directly after the first.

Would it be worthwhile to re-watch the first?
    Saw Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones last night. Better than most of them, though I still have trouble with found footage movies where it seems ludicrous for them to have the camera, or not drop it while being chased.
    You'd think that by this point they'd try some product integration and find a way to organically introduce that stupid square HD camera that people went crazy for like a year ago. Maybe some situation where it's strapped to them, like they're off hiking or something, so they can't drop it.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 01-04-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    You'd think that by this point they'd try some product integration and find a way to organically introduce that stupid square HD camera that people went crazy for like a year ago. Maybe some situation where it's strapped to them, like they're off hiking or something, so they can't drop it.
    VHS2 had a portion built with this in mind, and it worked really well. Sadly, how often can that make sense in the end?

That's why I'm scared for the new Friday the 13th as it is rumored to be found footage...

we can all thank Blair Witch Project for that found footage nonsense.

They just shot it and "found" it immediately after, in the film cannisters...

Conjuring and Insidious 2 were worth watching. Some new ones on here I will need to check out. I dont get many opportunities anymore living with a girlfriend who cannot do horror movies...sigh

Also, is it wrong that when I am feeling most depressed that Zombie/World apocolypse films soothe me like nothing else?

Past few days I have watched Insidious, Insidious 2 and The Last Days on Mars. Insidious 2 was probably the best of the bunch IMO. I enjoyed both of them but I thought the second was a bit better then the first. I'm normally not a fan of Horror movies that bank on sequels but it paid off in Insidious 2 IMO.

Watched You're Next over the Christmas/New Year break. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Good to see a female kick some ass.

Super Moderator
    Insidious 2 was probably the best of the bunch IMO. I enjoyed both of them but I thought the second was a bit better then the first.
    I really want to watch this damn movie!

Wound up going to the theatre to see something else Saturday, tried putting I2 on Sunday night when all of a sudden the roof started leaking. Finally took care of that and not two minutes later Cineva kicked in!

I've got a version that promises no Cineva that I'll try when I get home tonight, otherwise I'll just get it on demand.

I downloaded all of them. All great quality. I either Download or watch Netflix for these types of movies. I had no intentions of watching either but a few people here and on twitter kept talking about how good the first one was so I gave it a shot.

"A research crew of eight inhabiting the Tantalus Base outpost on Mars are 19 hours from the completion of a six month mission and a rendezvous with the lander Aurora, which will return them to their main orbiting craft."

Its like most space horror / thrillers. A lot of it is based on the atmosphere and the claustrophobic situations most of these guys live in. Watched it mainly because of Liev Schreiber being in it but i was surprised how good it was done.

Jacobs Ladder is on Netflix. Haven't seen it in a long time and growing up it was probably the scariest movie i ever watched outside of IT. Watching it with a Vietnam Vet probably didn't help matters much lol. Should be watching that sometime this week.

Wound up going to the theatre to see something else Saturday, tried putting I2 on Sunday night when all of a sudden the roof started leaking. Finally took care of that and not two minutes later Cineva kicked in!

I've got a version that promises no Cineva that I'll try when I get home tonight, otherwise I'll just get it on demand.
    What's Cineva?

Watched You're Next over the Christmas/New Year break. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Good to see a female kick some ass.
    Although not quite TRUE horror, but have you checked out Death Proof by Quentin Tarantino? I personally enjoyed it quite a bit.

Kill Cold- Event Horizon. That is all I can say about space horror. Movie never gets old for me.

Love that movie. Have it my Netflix list as well since I haven't seen it in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Although not quite TRUE horror, but have you checked out Death Proof by Quentin Tarantino? I personally enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Watched it just a few weeks back. Gotta do the Death Proof/Planet Terror double-feature at least once a year.

The Brain
    Fucking love Death Proof. Planet Terror was more up and down for me.

Super Moderator
    What's Cineva?
    It's a piracy prevention thing. I know Sony makes use of it, I'm not sure of what else does, so it kicks my ass sometimes on things that I torrent when I try to watch them on my PS3.

I'm not 100% on the technology, but it lets the movie play normally for a while and, from what I understand, when it hits a point in the movie, the player looks to confirm something from the disc. If you don't have the disc, it kills the audio.

Most times I don't have an issue, but I2 apparently did.

That's bullshit.

we can all thank Blair Witch Project for that found footage nonsense.

They just shot it and "found" it immediately after, in the film cannisters...

Conjuring and Insidious 2 were worth watching. Some new ones on here I will need to check out. I dont get many opportunities anymore living with a girlfriend who cannot do horror movies...sigh

Also, is it wrong that when I am feeling most depressed that Zombie/World apocolypse films soothe me like nothing else?
    I haven't watched Blair Witch since the theater in 1999 or whenever it was. I didn't really care for it then, but I'd like to give it another shot. The problem (that I know I will mention again in just a minute) is that it seems like a theater only movie. Some films just don't seem right to watch at home, no matter how dark you can make it.

I would like to watch Insidious 2. I enjoyed the first, but the GF didn't, and when you live with a woman while working 50/60 hours a week, you tend not to find the time to watch movies alone. Except in 15-20 minute spurts on a 7" tablet, and I'm not going to watch a movie that deserves at least a computer monitor sized screen in that fashion. Thankfully, my GF loves horror, so we tend to watch lots together. It's rare she's not interested in one, but Insidious 2 is one of them.

And yes, I believe you are mentally ill.

Past few days I have watched Insidious, Insidious 2 and The Last Days on Mars. Insidious 2 was probably the best of the bunch IMO. I enjoyed both of them but I thought the second was a bit better then the first. I'm normally not a fan of Horror movies that bank on sequels but it paid off in Insidious 2 IMO.
    More kudos for the film, damnit, I'm taping her to the couch and forcing her to stick through it.

I love that one. So much. Bloody Disgusting had a great year end article on the best posters of 2013, and You're Next had the best ones. I would also love to get the soundtrack as it fits the 80s inspired scores like Maniac (remake) and Drive.

I have never had an issue with Cineva, but I also rarely watch movies on something with an internet connection. I'll have to keep this in mind if I get a used Xbox 360...

"A research crew of eight inhabiting the Tantalus Base outpost on Mars are 19 hours from the completion of a six month mission and a rendezvous with the lander Aurora, which will return them to their main orbiting craft."

Its like most space horror / thrillers. A lot of it is based on the atmosphere and the claustrophobic situations most of these guys live in. Watched it mainly because of Liev Schreiber being in it but i was surprised how good it was done.

Jacobs Ladder is on Netflix. Haven't seen it in a long time and growing up it was probably the scariest movie i ever watched outside of IT. Watching it with a Vietnam Vet probably didn't help matters much lol. Should be watching that sometime this week.
    Something about Last Days just seems lame. Maybe it's the reviews that I have read about it clouding my judgment.
    Jacob's Ladder was great, but I wonder how a 2nd viewing would hold up since I strongly remember the finale. It's one of my father's favorite horror movies.

Kill Cold- Event Horizon. That is all I can say about space horror. Movie never gets old for me.
    Grindhouse was something I wanted to see in theater. I missed out, and I haven't gone back. This is another that just doesn't seem right for the small screen, especially with the fake trailers that were put in between during the original screenings. Besides, I'm not an action guy, and these seem more silly action based than horror. I don't know how to explain the line of loving slashers for their silly action, and not this, but this seems to fall on the line of "meh".

And I hate Event Horizon. I didn't like it in the 90s, I have given it a second (and more) chance a few times since, and I still don't like it. I don't remember the psychology of it, but I just thought it was stupid.

Any interest in Devil's Due? It seems like another Hollywood weak attempt at something with potential. I definitely didn't like the CGI for the stomach jump in the trailer, man is it so fucking hard to use a prosthetic stomach with someone under the couch pushing up on the skin instead of terrible computer imaging?? Fuck.

THE MONKEY
    I actually had zero interest in The Devil's Due prior to finding out that Radio Silence did it. Probably end up checking it out in the theater now.

For what it's worth there are a lot of people who didn't like the first Insidious that liked the second. While an obvious continuation of the story the thematic elements of the film are a lot different overall than the first. Plus as much as I loved the first one, that damn Darth Maul bad guy looked cheap as hell and he isn't in this one.

A few quick thoughts inspired by reading through the thread...

I thought the Friday remake was pretty damn awesome. I'm glad that the sequel seems to be moving forward again, slowly as it may be.

Evil Dead was awesome. Less a remake than a reboot, though. I loved all the nods to the original flick, like Ash's car still being there all covered in vines and shit.

Curse of Chucky was awesome. I enjoyed it very, very much and look forward to more in the hopefully not too distant future.

I've not seen most of the newer things discussed here as I find I'm entirely too over critical for some reason. I have seen V/H/S but it bored the shit out of me, honestly.

Now to my original reason for coming here. Have you seen the Crystal Lake Memories retrospective DVD? I wanted it from the time it was released but didn't get a chance to order it. I've got it ordered now and am very much looking forward to watching it, as it looks to be very similar to the epic Never Sleep Again Nightmare doc, which I fucking LOVE.

I have watched it. It is very similar to the Never Sleep Again doc. My problem with it is a minor one really: I have the book the doc was based off, and another Friday the 13th book about the Making of the series. So the movie didn't really offer me anything new. It's really good, no doubt, so for those who aren't fanatics who buy every horror movies related book out there, lots of these stories are awesome to hear. But very little of it was new to me.

I will still buy a copy soon though.

I could never seem to get my hands on the book. When I would find it for a good price I didn't have the spare money to throw at it and when I did have the cash I either wasn't thinking about it or couldn't find it for a reasonable price. Frustrating.

The big draw to me was that I read it has alternate takes and interviews from those in the His Name Was Jason doc, which I think everyone can agree was pretty goddamn lackluster. After having seen the pretty solid Halloween doc I had high hopes and they were far from met. I actually think the overwhelming awesomeness of the Nightmare doc made His Name look even worse by comparison. I always felt that the Friday franchise deserved better and was very happy to see that it was getting the proper treatment. Now if they could just get that Hellraiser doc I've heard about off the ground...

I'd also love to get my hands on the I Am Nancy doc that Heather Langenkamp did.

I love the first 2 Hellraisers, but the series was abysmal overall, so I can't get into a doc on it.

I never got into the Halloween series much either, but I do have them all, with the doc downloaded somewhere. Eventually I might want to watch all of them in a span of a week, and I'll watch the doc. But I never saw how strong this series was compared to Friday the 13th. Jason was a more exciting villain, the series more fun. I can see why the high brow would like the first Halloween better, and I respect it, but it doesn't satisfy my craving for a horror film. It's not psychologically thrilling like a Silence of the Lambs or Seven, but it's not silly excitement like a F13. I feel like a traitor to the horror community, but Halloween is really overrated to me.

Same as The Exorcist and Poltergeist. Exorcist just never connected with me. It could be the other movies that ripped it off since 1973 that I saw before the Blatty classic, but I don't see why Exorcist is in such rarefied air.

To put everything into perspective though, my first horror tattoo done at Christmas was from Sleepaway Camp... so I don't have my head too far up my ass. I know damn well that I seem to prefer the cheesier side of the red art form.

I found The Exorcist to be fairly boring, myself. I think the reason it had such an impact and is held in such high regard is in relation to when it came out. Back then there were a lot more churchgoing people and more of a religious vibe about, in general. As such, for those people, then in the majority, the film came off as almost like a documentary. Of the religion based horror movies of that general era, though, I think The Omen was a better movie in virtually every way. Much more creepy.

I'm one of those who holds the original Halloween in very high regard, actually considering possibly the most important horror movie ever made in the modern era. It set the standard and built the formula for the overwhelming majority of what followed it, as well as kickstarted the era that would eventually bring us Friday and Nightmare and all those others. In that regard, it's an incredibly important and iconic movie.

I also just really like it. It feels very real, like something that could go down. That isn't a prerequisite for me liking a horror flick, by any stretch of the imagination, as the Nightmare series is my personal favorite. It does lend a certain air to the flick, though, especially when viewed under the prism of it having been really the first of its kind. That said, part 4 is easily my favorite of the bunch.

I dig the first four Hellraiser flicks and have only seen a few of them since. I plan to give them all a marathon viewing at some point, as they're all available on Netflix. My favorite of the bunch is the one most people hate, that being Part 3. I've no qualms about admitting that it's my favorite because, like yourself, I dig the cheese factor. It went from an indy styled thing with horrific visuals to a franchise flick very indicative of its era. I don't mind that.

Watched Devil's Due last night. Decent, not bad. Nothing too special though.