Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The PEN Memorial Horror Thread

I might once it's over. I really don't need to watch it this second. I enjoyed The Wire, The Shield, and Oz (my top 3 fave TV series) on my own time once they were finished. Why should I rush to Walking Dead when I could finish Rescue Me, X-Files, or finally start American Horror Story, True Detective, Dexter or Breaking Bad?

To be honest though, there are very few horror monsters that I find as boring as zombies. I look at my collection, and vampires, werewolves, and zombies are all very low on my list. Dawn of the dead (both) and Zombieland are notable exceptions, and when I watching Night of the Living Dead in high school I loved it. But everything else? Meh. Plus it's based on a comic book, so it loses points for me.

I never read the comics, but apparently the show is such an entity unto itself that even the avid readers don't know where the show is going most of the time. And like I said, any avid fan of television dramas should have at least one show they attempt to watch as it airs. It really does add another element to the things that make those shows great in the first place.

What do you mean you haven't seen Breaking Bad? I don't understand......
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 03-17-2014 at 11:32 PM.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

With wrestling, UFC, Trailer Park Boys, Kenny vs Spenny, X Files, 2 jobs, and a live in GF, I don't just watch TV shows like that. It needs to be planned. It's on the queue, but I might fo AHS first, due to my love of horror.

Unfortunately, I know there's no way I'll change your mind with just words. I feel like I have a loose understanding of what you look for in your horror though, and would bet a slice of deep-fried pizza that you'd appreciate alot of the old-school tactics Walking Dead uses.

As far as TV shows, Hannibal is very interesting. Lots of sick and twisted shit that I'm surprised they get away with showing on network TV. Mads Mikkelsson is perfect as Hannibal Lecter.

Haven't watched Hannibal, despite having intentions to. Did this Mikkelsson guy have to overcome initial Anthony Hopkins comparisons?

Watched Night of the Creeps for the first time, and I really feel like I missed out on something in my youth. I should have watched this years ago, I'd be all over it today. HAving just watched it, I had a lot of fun, but it's not something I feel nostalgic about enough to buy on blu ray and get the tshirt. Great fun though.

I rented Sweet Sixteen and Vertigo to watch over the next couple of weeks.

Is Night of the Creeps the one with the black sluglike that infest people?

Also have you ever seen Sleepaway Camp? It was one of the 1980s horror movies, that was a traditional cheesy 1980s horror flick, except for an awesome last 2-3 minutes. The final image is still burned into my mind. If you haven't seen it, I recommend that you watch it ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Smart_Mark View Post
    I never read the comics, but apparently the show is such an entity unto itself that even the avid readers don't know where the show is going most of the time.
    Thats such bullshit. The differences are very minor. They are almost caught up to the comics now since they are skipping a huge number of them. The only way people wont know whats happening is if the show ever passes the comic and with the comic going bi monthly i doubt that will ever happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Is Night of the Creeps the one with the black sluglike that infest people?

Also have you ever seen Sleepaway Camp? It was one of the 1980s horror movies, that was a traditional cheesy 1980s horror flick, except for an awesome last 2-3 minutes. The final image is still burned into my mind. If you haven't seen it, I recommend that you watch it ASAP!
    It is.

Let my newest tattoo answer your second question:

I cannot believe that you got Angela's face as a tatoo. That is awesome and creepy at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Thats such bullshit. The differences are very minor. They are almost caught up to the comics now since they are skipping a huge number of them. The only way people wont know whats happening is if the show ever passes the comic and with the comic going bi monthly i doubt that will ever happen now.
    Oh. Well whatever. From now on though, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me make up my own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    It is.

Let my newest tattoo answer your second question:

Pretty good likeness
    sleepawaycamp.jpg

It was meant to be.

Next is either the Jason mask from the Friday 4 poster, or a Fight Club one.

Is that The Tower on your right pec?

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    It was meant to be.

Next is either the Jason mask from the Friday 4 poster, or a Fight Club one.
    I would go with the Fight Club one... the bar of soap?

Yes Fooz, that's the Dark Tower

The Fight Club Idea:

The Friday:

Over the weekend I watched the Sleepaway Camp trilogy. I can't remember if I ever watched them before. I quite enjoyed them. Though I was really weirded out by the end of the first one. Why the hell was Angela making that face when she was caught?

Other news, Michael Bay is gonna produce yet another attempt to reboot Friday The 13th with David Bruckner at the helm. Bruckner. He directed The Signal and the "Amateur Night" segment of V/H/S. Thoughts?

I wasn't as big a fan of the original VHS as I was the second one, but Amateur Night was one of the better ones, especially in terms of directing. The story was silly, but somehow it all worked. So I'm fine with that. I'll be seeing it no matter the reviews or who is producing. I liked the last one a lot (it ranks somewhere in the middle of the entire series).

The Sleepaways are in no way to be confused with the word "great", unless you follow it with "fun," and even that is a stretch. But they hit a soft spot in me, and the ending was monumentally memorable to a 10-12 year old new horror fan.

I haven't updated this in a bit, let me think:

-Watched 13 Tzameti last night after it being the first movie listed in the Rue Morgue 200 Alternative Movies recommendation issue. I enjoyed it, though it didn't feel like essential viewing as something I've missed.

-Alien 3-Assembly Cut was a nice revisit. I've seen the original and this version before, but this one feels ignored too much. What I mean is that while I know I, and everyone else, rate the first 2 as some of the best horror or action/horror of all time, this 3rd really is top notch stuff. Atmospheric, strong storytelling, amazing acting, and other than some weak early 90s CGI, amazing effects. It's a step below Alien and Aliens, but it's still a major step above most movies of this type. Really worth checking out if you've dismissed it.

-Afflicted - Saw that in theater a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed. I'm surprised to see some low rated reviews, but I side with those that praised it. Good story, great acting, and fun.

-Slaughterhouse, a late 80s entry into the slasher genre. I really enjoyed it, but I think the intro credit screen is what truly stands out. Actual slaughterhouse footage that makes the rest of the movie all the more brutal and realistic somehow. It's standard generic slasher fare, but with a slice of reality from the pork prep.

-A Serbian Film - I haven't finished it. I watched with the GF, and once it got to a certain scene involving a pregnant woman, she was done with it. I'll try to finish it, as I wasn't nearly as effected, but I also can't say I was loving it. It was almost controversial for the sake of it. Story wasn't bad, and I do want to find out what happens, but it altogether doesn't seem strong enough to warrant a "I must finish this and see what happens!".

I too liked the earlier Friday remake. Especially Willa Ford's bewbs.

I really wanna see The Afflicted.

I grabbed a bunch of movies from various "Controversial" lists and of course Serbian Film is in there, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

THE MONKEY
    That was always my impression with A Serbian Film, just seemed like it was controversy for the sake of controversy.

I just hope the long rumored found footage story doesn't come true with the new Friday the 13th. Seems like that would be one hell of a hill to climb in order for it to be good.

Oculus has had a lot of good things said about it. Horror might be my least-watched genre, but I'm really happy to hear this. If WWE Films can start putting out consistent quality, then they will truly be one of the top entertainment juggernauts in the world.

THE MONKEY
    WWE films might have a niche in the B-rated horror genre (don't mean that in a bad way)

Considering the budget I've heard some decent things about Oculus. Also apparently their Leprechaun reboot is going for a much darker feeling (won't be that hard). Plus the Soska Twins did the See No Evil sequel which has peaked my interest, since the first one was decent enough for a popcorn flick.

I saw Oculus last night (after watching Trailer Park Boys 3), and really dug it. No WWE logo anywhere in the opening credits, or on the poster outside the screening room.

Thats weird they have the logo on our poster and its on the commercials. Oni is super into Horror and said it was really good as well. Which is surprising.

Looks like WWE is finally learning what Rock figured out almost 15 years ago.

I've seen the posters with the logo, but those were the older ones from a few months ago. I think it's a smart move on their part, at least for now. Build up the reputation of WWE films with successes, so they can eventually say things like "from the people who brought to you Oculus, and See No Evil 2, comes the new masterpiece of terror.... Khali vs Godzilla".

But yes, it was very good. I don't expect people to enjoy the ending, but I suspect those people have parents who were siblings and need their feature presentations be baby fed to them.

Wevv mang
    Saw Oculus as well.

Thought it was a really well done movie, with some excellent story telling. It did get overly complicated near the end, as well as some minor logic flaws, but the pacing and general idea behind the film make up for those. I also think the ending was forced and fell short. By that I mean the very, very end. It just didn't seem necessary, and I can't really say more without spoiling it.

As for WWE, nice big logo in the seemingly growing list of production company of ever longer growing production company trailers. Caught me a bit by surprise, since I didn't know it was a WWE film.

Pen, swear to God there was a significant part of me that thought I was about to read "From the people who brought you Oculus and See No Evil 2 comes the new masterpiece of terror......Rock vs. Cena III". I can't explain what made my brain do that, but I can honestly say it made my day.

Follow the buzzards.

I guess I didn't stick around long enough, Wevv.

Watched American Mary last night. It was ok. The end was rushed and could have been a bit better. Would have liked to seen what the twins looked like after Surgery as well. Kinda felt jipped they didn't. Solid tho.

It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was a good sign for the Soska twins to have a decent future. Not sure how they'll do with See No Evil 2, but I'm more excited with them on board than without.

Been too long, I'm sure I've forgotten some that should be mentioned, but let me try to refresh my memory.

5150 Elms Way
    Very solid movie. Made in Quebec, but I didn't let that bother me. A bit too over the top by the end, but I loved it for the most part. Great acting, and I guess I enjoy any film where a religious fanatic gets it in the end. Highly recommended.

Amityville Horror
    The original, which I had honestly never seen before. I had heard bad things about it, so kept putting it off. Finally I felt like taking a risk with an older movie, and I enjoyed it. I liked the pacing, it gets going from the start, the acting is solid, and it just worked. Like all haunted house movies, it didn't blow me away, but it avoided the issue Eddie Murphy made fun of: the family didn't realize the house was evil. He said a black family would move out as soon as it told them to get out, but for this family, it was all random coincidences, and only the priest who wasn't even seen by the family who was told to get out.

I don't know, it just wasn't as bad as I expected, and now I want to watch the sequels.

Slice City Massacre
    Just silly B-horror. Nothing great, though it reminded me of something I saw as a kid. In this movie, they were eating colourful goop, and I know I've seen that before.
    Anyways, fun for 90 minutes, but nothing worth searching for. Unless you love this sort of silliness more than me.

Cold Prey
    Or Fritt Vilt, a 2006 norwegian slasher. Quite good, fun, violent, and looking forward to the sequels, though I'm not sure how they'll follow the ending to this one.

Slaughter High
    80s slasher, run of the mill. Kind of fun, but if you've seen one, you've seen this one.

Blood Glacier
    Another Norwegian flick ,this was in the theater thankfully, and was a lot like The Thing. Mutants in the ice barren area middle of nowhere. Very good, though the CGI and practical effects were hit and miss. OVerall, quite good.

Super Moderator
    So, Deliver us from Evil. Am I right in assuming that "inspired by the actual accounts of an NYPD sergeant" roughly translates to "that one night an NYPD sergeant dealt with a bunch of meth heads made into a supernatural horror movie"?

Actually no. In the newest Rue Morgue, they interview the director who openly criticizes how movies are marketed "based on true events" when there's rarely a common thread. That's why they use "inspired" instead. It shows that it's not an actual account.

It's actually based off a book "Beware the Night" by Ralph Sarchie, who was a former NYPD sergeant and told the true tale (I think). Or maybe the book was inspired too, but I know the director of the movie admits to being extremely liberal and creative with the source material.

Either way, I'm hoping to catch it soon.

Biggest example of BS with the "inspired/based on true events" in horror is how both Psycho and Texas Chainsaw Massacre used the same true story, but obviously the movies have very little in common.

Watched the remake of We Are What We Are. Very strong storytelling in this one. More psychological horror than physical, though that action picks up near the end. Very tense, very well acted, I recommend it.

Super Moderator
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing it, too. Just thought that it was silly that it is "inspired by true events" but the commercials and previews really just make it look like a particularly bad night for an NYC cop made supernatural.

I really liked We Are What We Are. I think the two daughters have bright futures.

V/H/S Viral is coming out in October (VOD)/November (limited release).

Also looking forward to Alexandre Aja's produced The Pyramid in December.

Been waiting for Horns [Based off Joe Hills book] for almost two years now. They need to hurry up and release that shit. Aja directed it.

Horns looks solid. I haven't decided on if I should attack the book first, or wait for the movie.

I know nothing of The Pyramid. I'll have to look into it.

VHS viral should be good. I'm liking to potential of the series. I think with the internet, and horror subculture, there are almost limitless possibilities for anthologies like the VHS series to succeed.

Hoping to check out Deliver Us From Evil on the weekend.

I really enjoyed the book. Really like everything I read from him outside one short story he wrote with his father "In the Tall Grass"