Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The PEN Memorial Horror Thread

The Brain
    Watched Grave Encounters 2 last night. I actually liked the first one decently in retrospect, as found footage goes it was pretty well done in some parts. The second one could have been interested but got seriously hurt by every character being dumb as a bag of fucking rocks. I couldn't wait for the ghosts to kill those damn kids. I like that it's at least moderately original in concept, but damn if I'm going to sympathize with idiots who traipse into ghost town armed with glowsticks and airhorns.

Also saw Eraserhead for the first time. Not sure I'd class it as horror but damn was it disturbing. David Lynch is a weird motherfucker.

David Lynch is the man.

The Brain
    Hell yes he is.

But he's a weird, weird man.

Watched ABCs of Death. No regrets, but less than a quarter of the mini-movies were actually good. Kind of disappointing, but you sort of understand that due to the nature of the collection.

THE MONKEY
    Yeah it was very hit or miss. The thing that annoyed me was that a lot of the shorts that got submitted for the contest but didn't win were better than some of the shorts that actually made the film. I'm a sucker for most anthologies though so I still ending up digging it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVz9MSd5f8

T is for Temptation was pretty good. T is for Toilet won the competition but they could have easily just changed the name and included both. There were a few other solid ones from the competition but it's been a bit since I watched them so the names slip my mind.

I personally loved The ABC's of Death and can't wait for the next one.

I watched Feast over the weekend. I thought it was a real smart take on the creature feature. The second one wasn't quite as good though. And I still have the third to watch.

I also watched Bad Milo last night and loved it. Ken Marino is fantastic. The premise of a butt demon taking revenge for his master is awesome. It kinda reminds me of Antfarm Dickhole.

THE MONKEY
    LOVE the first Feast. Part 2 just felt cheap. Part 3 feels the same but completely embraced being bat shit crazy so I ended up enjoying it more than 2. The end of part 3 is one of the biggest WTF moments though, I died laughing at the absurdity of the whole thing.

As much as I loved Feast, I just knew I shouldn't watch the sequels. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but it was a gut feeling they'd be disappointing.

I downloaded the movie Scarecrows the other day, and I'm excited to watch it. It's from 1988, and I remember seeing the VHS in the local video stores all the time. It just didn't feel like a slasher, which was all I knew at the time. I don't expect it to be that good, being as it's a straight to video release from back then, but the idea seems pretty damn decent.

Scarecrows is about five anti-heroic bank robbing paramilitary mercenaries and war criminals who steal three million dollars from Camp Pendleton and take two hostages, a pilot and his daughter. As the robbers fly towards Southern waters, one of the robbers steals the loot and parachutes into a dark field. The remaining robbers land the plane and head for a broken-down house. The house has a demonic history, which causes scarecrows guarding surrounding graves to resurrect and slaughter all trespassers, dooming their victims to live on as scarecrows for all eternity.

When I hear of little movies like this, I wonder if these types of films wouldn't be better as remakes than seeing Evil Dead and Nightmare on Elm Street. I understand the name brand of the major successes are part of the reason for their success when remade, but I read that description for Scarecrows, and I think that's still a very good idea. It reminds me of how the Hills Have Eyes, It's Alive, or I Spit on Your Grave were remade (the latter 2 as straight to DVD) but were somewhat successful, partly due to not having that major brand name attached to it.

You take something like The Thing or Carrie, and it becomes impossible to expect the remakes to match up to classics from another era. I understand the studios aren't looking to make better movies, just to make money. A recent article on B-D was about how the box offices of remakes have been dwindling. But would it be wiser to remake lesser known names, something that was under the radar in their original era, and remake that for a modern audience? Scarecrows was done in 1988, but if remade today it could have a slasher feel to it if you wanted to go that route, or a supernatural one to feed off the recent trends of Paranormal movies. It also seems ripe for sequels, if the original ends with a new batch of scarecrows waiting for new victims.

For the record, I haven't seen Jeepers Creepers, and I know the imagery for those movies were scarecrows, so maybe this 1988 film would seem too similar to that. I honestly don't know. But the general idea of taking smaller successes as the blueprints for remakes, is that one that would generate your interest as well?

This doesn't necessarily have to do with horror films, just the topic of the second part of your post.

I think instead of remaking everything left and right like Hollywood is doing, they should revisit scripts that didn't pan out from the past.

I can't remember who the director is but they're doing a movie from a script that's like over fifty years old that just never came to pass. It's a tale about Montezuma.

There's gotta be ideas from the past that were just too ahead of their time and could work with todays technology and movie going audiences.

In theory, that's a great idea. The problem is that it must be hard to locate the gold from the trash in such a pile of discarded scripts.

Very true. Though you'd have to believe that someone would have the foresight to keep ones that were not right for the time.

Seemed a fitting place for this.

untitled.jpg
    Last edited by Powder; 02-05-2014 at 06:06 PM.

h8makingnames
    Any love for Japanese Horror? I really dislike found footage films and don't find them scary at all, but I've seen a few Japanese found footage movies that have creeped me out at the end.

A horror movie was just released to DVD recently that I have been trying to get my hands on, and I was wondering if anyone had heard about it or seen it yet.

It is an indy film titled, "Torture Chamber", and is directed by Dante Tomaselli. The story centers around a family that believes their son is possessed, and thus confines him, restricting his freedom. I stumbled across mention of it because my friend that I grew up with, was credited with creating a doll that was the central focus of an apparently disturbing scene in the movie. It was released on Jan 28th, and the only review I could find was from Fangoria, and it was a very sparkling review, which at a point, was comparing it to Suspiria.

Anyone?

Japanese horror films creep you. They don't shock you to death, they make you shiver just a little when you go to the toliet alone at night.

There are some Asian horror films that goes into extreme gore. Japanese movies like Ichi the Killer is impossible to do in a western context.

And Jacob wrestled with God.

Japanese/Asian horror is indeed in a world of its own. The problem that I have had with them in general is how similar they all are. I haven't seen a terrible one, though I would go with Shutter from Korea being my least favorite (covered the Fantasia festival for bloody disgusting the year that showed, and I think I gave it a 2 skull review; it's been since taken down). When they knock it out of the park, it tends to be a deviation from the standard J-Horror ghost story. Again, Korean examples, but I Saw the Devil, and the original Oldboy are cream of the crop. I also have Audition, which was good but not great. Then there's the original Ju-On, Ringu, A Tale of Two Sisters... all very similar styles.

h8makingnames
    Ju-On had me afraid to look behind myself for a week. Think I dreamt about Kyoko after watching the original two made-for-TV installments. Thankfully, the stray cats that lived under my house were gone by that time because I would've had a heart attack if I heard a "Meow" late at night lol

Ichi is so dope. So much of Ledgers Joker is stolen from Ichi. The face. The suits. Some of the mannerisms that Kakihara has. Love that movie. Love the manga as well. Its a lot different tho.

Quote Originally Posted by FoonZeeS View Post
    About time! Beaver has always been lethal.

I'm interested in sequels with this one. I'd be interested to see what situations beaver gets into, and the obstacles beaver must face. In the end, everyone's truly fucked.

THE MONKEY
    I don't even know what to say about that one.

Wevv mang
    I wanted to know who was in it, here's the description from Youtube.

The official trailer of the most anticipated Wrestling film in years. The dream cast includes Rowdy Roddy Piper, WWE Hall of Famer Hacksaw Jim Duggan, ECW World Champion The Franchise Shane Douglas, Olympic Gold Medalist Kurt Angle and former WWE superstar Matt Hardy. Also starring Penthouse Pet Taya Parker, Playboy model Reby Sky, and well know adult actor Matthew Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by THE MONKEY View Post
    I don't even know what to say about that one.
    I want an entire fed of Wrestlers vs. Zombies now.

THE MONKEY
    Surprisingly I'd watch that too. That has to be one of the most random casts. Calling BS on Douglas being able to get two days off from Target though

He told them that they can all kiss his ass.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

Hylton
    I'm really big on the Final Destination movies. I don't know why, but the build up to the deaths really get me.

Anyone seen the new horror flick, "Mama"? I had a casual friend suggest it when they knew I love horror movies. They said it messed them up, and they couldn't get it out of their head. I looked up rankings online and it is getting unusually high ratings for a horror film so I figured I might give it a shot

So I watched it.....Am I the only one who thinks it is awful? Some great visuals for sure, but I couldn't have been less scared if I was watching one of my sons animated kids videos. I also now question why I am friends with this guy friend who suggested it...

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

THE MONKEY
    Yeah wasn't really a fan at all. Sometimes it seems like anything Del Toro attaches his name to gets a pass.

So glad I'm not the only one. The fact that Del Torro's name was attached to it as producer was what pushed me ultimately to check it out. (Big Guillermo fan!) My girlfriend was only slightly scared at points and she is a total wimp. I've been more afraid watching The View.

Hylton
    I didn't hate it. It made me more sad than anything else. I wanted a happy ending for both kids.

did anyone else watch the Purge? It was a horrible piece of shit. It was so bad, that they are making a sequel.

SPOILERS: (but you arent going to see it anyway)

Dad and Mom to family: This is the one night of the year that all crime is legal, including murder. What ever you do, do not open the security doors.

Kids: OK

10 min later: Son opens the door to try to help someone.

Gang wants in to kill the guy, all Dad has to do is give guy back and family is safe.

Guy is in the house and Dad does not go searching for him while daughter, wife and son are alone.

It wad bad, but lots of potential. So I'm ok with the sequel. As soon as it was over, I said to my GF: "imagine this setup in an apartment building, or suburbs instead of gated community."

^ This. It wasn't the best of movies but it wasn't bad for a random movie when nothing else was on. I thought the twist at the end was kind of cool and true to real life. With that said I would have killed my son myself with a minute left. Thats just me tho.

Here is the plot for the Purge: Anarchy...

A couple is quickly trying to get to their home where their kids are before The Purge starts but their car runs out of gas. The radio announces the beginning of The Purge. The couple has no choice but to leave their car. The couple has to survive through the night and fight/hide from the purgers. They are forced to take to foot in search of a safe place to ride out the purge.

So, it is going to be bloodier, and more violent as it is set in the open. So just a reason for gratuitous violence. Which I am ok with, only if there is an actual plot and cause for all the violence. Not just to have it because it is the sequel.

Note: every time Lena heady on screen, all I saw was Mama.

I liked The Purge. It wasn't the greatest thing in the world, but it sufficed as a "just let your mind drift" type of movie. Hopefully the sequel will build on the story and turn out ok.

Pen- Do you watch any horror television shows? I watch Walking Dead religiously and have heard good things about American Horror Story.

I would, but I HATE waiting a week for the next episode, or the next season to start. So I only watch shows that have ended.

But, since American Horror Story is a new story every season, I'll either be starting that up soon with the GF, or True Detective.

If you haven't seen American Horror Story yet, you should. Each season is really good, and they only got better and more creepy with each new season.

The way I view AHS is like that proposed "new wrestling concept" that never came to be, where each season has a beginning, middle and end. The cast remains the same (or basically the same) and then a new story is told.

Also the wife and I are half way through True Detective, a little slow for the first 2 episodes, but in ep 3 and 4 it started to pick up. I can't wait for the final 4.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15 View Post
    I would, but I HATE waiting a week for the next episode, or the next season to start. So I only watch shows that have ended.
    But, since American Horror Story is a new story every season, I'll either be starting that up soon with the GF, or True Detective.
    The Walking Dead, while it does have it's issues, is chock full of classic yet modernized horror tropes. They're about to wrap up season 4. Is that not enough to hold your attention for awhile without pissing you off once you get caught up?

Also, EVERYONE hates waiting whole weeks (or a year between seasons) for tv stories to continue. Still, I recommend at least giving it a shot. There's a certain level of emotional investment that comes along with following a show for years that just can't be obtained through binge watching.