Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Gate

The Brain
    There's less travel because Japan is smaller, but their schedule is still very hectic. The hardest working guys in WWE and DG actually worked the same number of total matches last year (BxB Hulk and AJ Styles both clocked in at 173 matches over the course of the year). Lucha style if famous for being extra safe but you've also got some puro mixed in there, which is historically the most damaging style, speaking in a very broad sense at least, and it can definitely add up over time.

I'll always remember Kotoka as a comedy jobber who was too weak for Don Fuji to even feel his chops, and he excelled in that role. Not sure where he would have gone but definitely sad to retire so early. Then again, better to retire than stick it out and end up completely jacked up for life.

So, the big show featuring Kzy vs. Mochizuki happened today. Some tidbits:

-Punch Tomianga and Ryo Saito beat the team of Yasushi Kanda and Shingo Takagi. Punch pinned Kanda and thus gets a Brave Gate shot against him. Meanwhile, with the win and with GM Yagi's help, Saito is forcing Shingo to fight him for the Owarai Gate title, which Shingo is LOATHE to do. Should be a fun time
    -After the result of the main, Kzy leaves Tribe Vanguard! Afterwards ANTIAS comes out to call him an idiot for now being unitless, but out to his aide come the next Twin Gate challengers, Susumu Yokosuka and Genki Horiguchi. Not only do they back him up here, they ask to help him out going forward, declaring they'll help him reach the top. Looks like the start of a new stable, which I'm VERY interested in

Thanks for the update! I really wanted to watch that show and I totally forgot about it. I need to put these dates on a calendar or something to keep track of them better.

I'm sure mizfan is over the moon that Tominaga won and is getting a Brave Gate title shot. I'm curious if they'll actually go with him as the Brave Gate champ.

The grouping between Yokosuka, Horiguchi and Kzy is really interesting. I'm mostly wondering what that means for Tribe Vanguard with Kzy's decision as well as what they'll do now they're down to (I think) just four.

The Brain
    PUNCH TOMINAGA!!! YOU CAN DO IT MAN!!!

Actually I think it's about as likely as Mondai Ryu winning the belt, but I can dream.

New stable is always exciting times. Can't wait to see what weird awesome name they come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    I'm mostly wondering what that means for Tribe Vanguard with Kzy's decision as well as what they'll do now they're down to (I think) just four.
    It's actually five now: Hulk, YAMATO, Santa Maria, Flamita, and U-T. There are still ex-Jimmyz floating around without a stable, Saito and Kagetora most notably. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kage join TV to give them another solid worker, I think he'd pair well teaming with literally any of those folks. A Hulk/Kage or YAMA/Kage team would be sweet, and them as a trio would, for my money, give Tribe the best possible combination of workers in a trio.

Meanwhile, I also wouldn't be surprised if Saito and Punch remain a combination, maybe even joining Kzy's new group. Still waiting for the ball to drop on a Over Generation breakup to really open things up for new stable members all around.

The Brain
    I'm just counting down the days til my man Punch goes back where he belongs and joins the new evil jerk stable.

A few important title matches have been set for March 3rd and 4th in Osaka:

March 3rd:

- Yasushi Kanda vs. Punch Tominaga: Open the Brave Gate Championship match
    - MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino and Jason Lee) vs. Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, BxB Hulk and Yosuke♡Santa Maria): Open the Triangle Gate Championship match

March 4th:

- T-Hawk and Eita vs. Susumu Yokosuka & Genki Horiguchi: Open the Twin Gate Championship match
    - Ben-K vs. Masaaki Mochizuki: Open the Dream Gate Championship match

I'm intrigued by the Dream Gate title match. The little I've seen of Ben-K, I've enjoyed a lot. And he's actually quite young (turned 26 last October) so there's a lot of upside to him. I'm a bit lukewarm on Mochizuki's title reign so far. I mean, he's good in the ring but as someone who's new to watching the promotion I honestly don't see anything special about him. It feels like this title reign is serving the long-time fans instead.

I'd love to go to both of these shows in person but sadly I already have plans for both dates

The Brain
    I'd be ok with Mochizuki losing the title sometime soon, but probably not to Ben K. I'm still not sure who the best candidate for that is.

That Tribe Vanguard trio looks way, way up my street though!

When Mocchy drops the belt, I think it'll be to a younger guy, to usher in the newest generation as having made it. Kzy could get it if he gets a second shot, but I think it's gonna come down to four people: T-Hawk, Eita, El Lindaman, or Big R Shimizu. Ben-K's a bit too new so I don't think he'll get it yet, but those four have been around for a few years and have built themselves up over time, and I could see any of them getting it. T-Hawk and Eita seem to be beloved by the company, El Lindaman is probably the most overall talented of everyone, and Shimizu's popular and talented. Gotta be one of them to take the belt off of ol' Mochizuki.

The Brain
    Woah, El Lindaman more talented than Eita?!? That's news to me, I gotta take another look at Lindaman!

I did say more 'overall' talented lol. Lindaman's probably one of the best talkers in DG; I remember reports of him destroying even CIMA back when he was still Yuga Hayashi. Neither T-Hawk nor Eita have his mic prowess and oftentimes seem to...kinda suck lol.

Plus I think he's fantastic in the ring, probably a more solid worker than everyone in that group tbh. Problem is, he's more-or-less the 'established fall guy' of VerserK/ANTIAS, good enough to get wins but also regularly taking the losses. So I dunno if he gets as many chances to show that off anymore; he's not as protected in that regard as either T-Hawk or Eita

The Brain
    I was gonna say, I thought he was a bit of a job guy still. But either way I gotta give him another look, I probably can't say much about his mic skills but if he's got those ring skills I want to check it out!

I was also under the impression that El Lindaman was just a job guy. I'll have to keep my eye out for him. I do know that the times I've gone to Dragon Gate shows I want someone to punch him in the face hard, so I guess he's great in that heel role!

Out of all the people Jeff mentioned as better contenders for the Dream Gate title, I hope it's T-Hawk. He's been one of my favorites since I've been watching the promotion. Since he's still only 27 I'm sure he'll have at least one main event run in him eventually, but I hope it's sooner rather than later.

The Brain
    I think he's the next most likely after Eita. Either one would definitely be interesting and a pretty fresh addition to the main event scene.

Watched an El Lindaman tag match yesterday and I'm still not sure I'm seeing what Jeff is seeing in the guy. He's good, but is he that good? Will have to talk about it on the show next week!

Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Kzy from Feb. 7 is absolutely a MoTY contender. If you haven't seen the TV-ready version of it, you need to. Mocchy put on a show as usual but Kzy just absolutely was on another level. If you didn't believe in him as a top-flight performer before the match, he proves you wrong during it. What an amazing bout.

The Brain
    Excited to watch it tonight and talk about it!

I watched the first half of that match before I had to do something else at home, so hopefully I'll be able to catch the rest of it during my weekend.

So this happened last night in Osaka:

CM Punch is now champion and it's the weirdest and greatest thing in DG history

The Brain
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I'M SO HAPPY YOU GUYS!!!!!

Watched a bunch of DG matches this weekend and had a blast with it, much more so than I did watching their stuff in January. We're going to talk about it on the show tomorrow morning anyway, but I gotta ask my man Jeff, what's up with Ben-K beating Mochizuki in 2 minutes?!? That was shocking but awesome. Never saw Ben-K before but I'm pretty much an instant fan.

Kotoka's final match and retirement happened. He wrestled in the main event before taking on his younger brother - and current DG trainee - Oji Shiiba, in a singles match. Signed off his career with words of thanks and kindness from the roster members. Dunno what he's going to do next; wouldn't mind him as a permanent second in the DG commentary booth, that would be a fun role for him.

The Brain
    Ohhh, is that who Oji Shiiba is? I keep seeing his name in dark matches and he's one of the only DG guys I don't know. Hope he does get a role, he was always a fun guy to watch.

The big news coming out of today's show is the announcement of this year's Dead or Alive Cage Match! Hair on the line as per usual. The lineup this year is:

-Masaaki Mochizuki
    -Shingo Takagi
    -YAMATO
    -Yasushi Kanda
    -El Lindaman
    -Ryo Saito
    -Punch Tominaga

Now, you may notice that this makes seven participants this year, when the norm is six. GM Yagi understands. There will still only be five flags to get and thus escape the ring with. The final two will have a five-minute singles match in the cage, with the loser getting their head shaved. If NEITHER of the last two can get a victory in the five-minute match, then BOTH of them get their head shaved! Fun stuff! Looks like it'll be a great match this year, lots of rivalries, lots of good talent, should be a barnburner!

The Brain
    I love the weirdness of the DOA cage match! Sounds like something we'll definitely have to cover again!

I never heard about this match before, so I'll have to look up last year's match and make sure to catch this one.

Who in that group would be better served with a shaved head?

Duuuuude, the DoA Cage Match is an awesome event. It's become a yearly thing again since 2014 after two years off, and it's always a doozy with slightly different rules and stakes. Gotta check out 2014 and I think 2016's versions of the match, both were really good. Last year's was solid, too.

This year, I'm thinking either Shingo or Saito, maybe both. Shingo seems to be on the verge of something important in DG, and a shaved head could only help bring that to the forefront. Saito, meanwhile, could probably get it as well just because. I'm thinking it comes down to both of them in the final five-minute singles match, and hoping it ends in neither one being able to win before the time limit runs out.

The Brain
    Last year's match!

Dragon Gate DOA 2017

Like Jeff mentioned the rules are a bit different every year, here's what they were for 2017. It looks a bit confusing but if you take a minute to pick it up, I think the match is a real blast and pretty smartly worked given the outlandish stips.

-Flags will be place at the top of the cage at each corner. The Dream Gate title belt will be placed on the center pole.
    -The Takagi, Kong, Hulk, & Doi must first retrieve a flag. Once they have done so, they will gain Dream Gate challenger status.
    -The four challengers can be eliminated via pin or submission at any time during the match. This can occur before they are able to retrieve a challenger flag. An eliminated competitor must leave the cage.
    -YAMATO must compete during the entire match, but will not be able to retrieve the title belt until there is only 1 challenger remaining. He can not be eliminated via pin fall or submission at any point during the match.
    -The match will progress until YAMATO and 1 challenger remain. The match can then be won by retrieving the Dream Gate title belt to win.
    -The final competitor left in the cage will lose their hair or mask.

Thanks for sharing that, I'll definitely take a look at it soon, sounds like a blast.

On the heels of All Japan's launch of their streaming service, Dragon Gate has FINALLY gotten into the game by announcing their streaming service, starting on April 1st: https://teaser.dragongate.live/

Their pricing setup is really interesting: 1500 Yen ($14.10 / €11.48 / 10.03 at today's exchange rate) for live broadcasts, access to past archives, original videos and a few more things, and 999 Yen ($9.39 / €7.65 / 6.68) only for access to past archives. I'm questioning the decision to price it higher than just about every other wrestling streaming service out there, considering the amount of live content other services have for typically a third less of the cost. And Dragon Gate doesn't have the rich history of other companies like New Japan, All Japan and the WWE, so their back catalog isn't as valuable either. Hardcore fans will definitely get this regardless of the price, but I think pricing it higher is a mistake on their end.

Squared
    I read those stips and wondered if Russo had a hand in designing this.

Then saw the match ran for the best part of an hour and thought, probably not.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    Looks like I'm getting another sub!! All Japan is just going to have to wait, DG is one of my favorite products in Japan and will definitely be joining New Japan and Stardom as regular recipients of my money.

I am honestly seriously beyond hyped, I have been asking for this for years now. I hope it's as well designed as the Stardom site. Can't wait to be able to dig into their stuff even further.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I read those stips and wondered if Russo had a hand in designing this.

Then saw the match ran for the best part of an hour and thought, probably not.
    HAHA, I'm dying at this Pete! It's definitely not for the stipulation averse, but it's executed with consistency and intelligence so Russo can't have been within a hundred miles of it.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    it's executed with consistency and intelligence so Russo can't have been within a hundred miles of it.
    You're right, that would be the clincher.

Just to cycle back up to Deg's point above, that pricing structure does look very strange. I know with all the competition out there that I'm probably less inclined to give it a go than some of the others at that price point. It seems like they're banking on having enough of a hardcore fanbase that'll pay the higher rate, unless my shitty high school qualification in business is letting me down.
    "Eat my ass, Mooney"

The Brain
    I hadn't even thought about it, I knew for sure I would going to pay the top tier as soon as I saw it, but that is actually an interesting point. I wonder what the logic behind that is, and if maybe it will change before the official roll out.

A few days ago, the Brave Gate title was declared vacant due to outside interference happening during a title match between Punch Tominaga and Yasushi Kanda, ending in a no contest. Sorry, miz. Because of this, Dragon Gate will now hold a tournament to crown a new Brave Gate champ. The match-ups will be:

A Block:
    - Jason Lee vs. U-T
    - Dragon Kid vs. K-ness

B Block:
    - Kagetora vs. Kaito Ishida
    - Punch Tominaga vs. Yasushi Kanda

The first round matches and the semi-finals will happen on April 1st and will air for free on Dragon Gate's new streaming service. The finals between the A and B Block winners will happen on April 6.

I kinda joked before the participants were announced that this was Lee or Ishida's time to shine. Looks like that might actually and truly be the case! U-T might also pull the surprise, though. Really think it comes down to one of those three. And honestly, I imagine this was done because DG booked the at-the-time Dream AND Brave Gate champions in the cage match, and that probably would have made the DoA card kinda short without at least one of those belts in a different match.

Also, anyone have any ideas on wtf Kagetora is doing? If you haven't followed, he's shown up three times now in the gear of different stables to support them ringside, strictly because he liked the gear (in his own words). He's done this for Tribe Vanguard, MaxiMuM, and most recently Kzy. No idea what he's doing, but I get the sinking feeling this ultimately leads to a heel turn and joining ANTIAS. Maybe all the other stables get weirded out by him and he has no where else to go, or he suckers a group in to finally getting him in before revealing he was working for ANTIAS all along. Or something. IDK it's a weird angle.

The Brain
    Or just give the title back to Punch, okay thanks all!!

That is a bit weird with Kagetora. he has seemed directionless since the Jimmys went bye bye, so maybe this will be good for him in the long run? I could see him being good in that role.

Remember when I said this was Ishida or Lee's time to shine? Well, that was bullshit, because they had most of that Brave Gate tourney today, and the finals are Kagetora vs. Dragon Kid. Which, sure, great, love those two, but damn.

ALSO, I officially have DG Network! Went with the live version, more costly but more stuff and quicker access to the newest shows. Also has like, exclusive interviews and the fun Prime Zone semi-canon mini-shows. Gonna check it out when I have more time but they already have all the old Kobe World shows. I watched Genki Horiguchi with hair, surfer Naoki Tanizaki, and dancing Ryo Saito take on Milano Collection AT, Anthony W. Mori, and Super Shisa. Fun stuff.

Nice! I plan to sign up soon, although I probably won't have time to watch much in the next couple of weeks. But it would be good to start watching the occasional match when I have some downtime. Any suggestions on which of those older Kobe World shows to watch first?

I need to watch a lot of them myself, but the most recently major Kobe World show was 2013, which saw CIMA defend the Dream Gate against then-face Shingo Takagi. That show and main event in particular marks the passing of the torch from the old generation to the new generation, which has been going strong since. Also has the Millenials making their (video package) debut, Stalker Ichikawa taking on Yoshiaki Fujiwara, a three-way trios match, Yoshino/K-ness., Doi and Ricochet/BxB Hulk and Akira Tozawa, and a couple of other things, which I mostly remember as being good. That's where I'd start!

The Brain
    Can't wait to check out this service! 2018 is turning out awesome for wrestling.

Just watched the last two matches of today's show live on the Network, which is so cool. The service itself might need some work but damn if it isn't awesome to be able to watch Dragon Gate as it happens on an official product instead of some seedy streaming site lol.

Not to spoil anything for anyone who wants to watch, but we get a new Brave Gate champion, and Kzy officially starts up his own unit! It's him and the other members of his team in tonight's main, agreeing to go full-time with their working together.

The Brain
    Ok, so I've watched a bunch of matches on the DG Network (or whatever it's official name is), and here are my thoughts:

In terms of being easy to navigate, it needs a lot of work. The English version is just the google translate version, which is far from great. That's a problem most Japanese streaming services have though, so I don't dock them too much (Stardom has it figured out though!!). What was confusing to me is the actual content they had on the site, it was really difficult at times to find what I wanted, in part because of the translation but mostly because they do the same NJPWWorld thing of sorting their stuff into weird categories such as "Series" and "Competition".

On the plus side, once I was able to get a handle on where stuff was, the streaming quality was mostly very good, and it's very nice to have access to full shows and the kinds of matches that often were not posted on Russian youtube or whatever god forsaken place you had to find them before. So overall it's still a big win for me, even though like I said, it could be improved a lot in terms of design. Deg, you're some kind of web designer, right? You gotta help these companies out!!

Once I got down to watching a bunch of matches, I had a blast. What a fun freaking company.