Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dragon Gate

The Brain
    There's less travel because Japan is smaller, but their schedule is still very hectic. The hardest working guys in WWE and DG actually worked the same number of total matches last year (BxB Hulk and AJ Styles both clocked in at 173 matches over the course of the year). Lucha style if famous for being extra safe but you've also got some puro mixed in there, which is historically the most damaging style, speaking in a very broad sense at least, and it can definitely add up over time.

I'll always remember Kotoka as a comedy jobber who was too weak for Don Fuji to even feel his chops, and he excelled in that role. Not sure where he would have gone but definitely sad to retire so early. Then again, better to retire than stick it out and end up completely jacked up for life.

So, the big show featuring Kzy vs. Mochizuki happened today. Some tidbits:

-Punch Tomianga and Ryo Saito beat the team of Yasushi Kanda and Shingo Takagi. Punch pinned Kanda and thus gets a Brave Gate shot against him. Meanwhile, with the win and with GM Yagi's help, Saito is forcing Shingo to fight him for the Owarai Gate title, which Shingo is LOATHE to do. Should be a fun time
    -After the result of the main, Kzy leaves Tribe Vanguard! Afterwards ANTIAS comes out to call him an idiot for now being unitless, but out to his aide come the next Twin Gate challengers, Susumu Yokosuka and Genki Horiguchi. Not only do they back him up here, they ask to help him out going forward, declaring they'll help him reach the top. Looks like the start of a new stable, which I'm VERY interested in

Thanks for the update! I really wanted to watch that show and I totally forgot about it. I need to put these dates on a calendar or something to keep track of them better.

I'm sure mizfan is over the moon that Tominaga won and is getting a Brave Gate title shot. I'm curious if they'll actually go with him as the Brave Gate champ.

The grouping between Yokosuka, Horiguchi and Kzy is really interesting. I'm mostly wondering what that means for Tribe Vanguard with Kzy's decision as well as what they'll do now they're down to (I think) just four.

The Brain
    PUNCH TOMINAGA!!! YOU CAN DO IT MAN!!!

Actually I think it's about as likely as Mondai Ryu winning the belt, but I can dream.

New stable is always exciting times. Can't wait to see what weird awesome name they come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    I'm mostly wondering what that means for Tribe Vanguard with Kzy's decision as well as what they'll do now they're down to (I think) just four.
    It's actually five now: Hulk, YAMATO, Santa Maria, Flamita, and U-T. There are still ex-Jimmyz floating around without a stable, Saito and Kagetora most notably. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kage join TV to give them another solid worker, I think he'd pair well teaming with literally any of those folks. A Hulk/Kage or YAMA/Kage team would be sweet, and them as a trio would, for my money, give Tribe the best possible combination of workers in a trio.

Meanwhile, I also wouldn't be surprised if Saito and Punch remain a combination, maybe even joining Kzy's new group. Still waiting for the ball to drop on a Over Generation breakup to really open things up for new stable members all around.

The Brain
    I'm just counting down the days til my man Punch goes back where he belongs and joins the new evil jerk stable.

A few important title matches have been set for March 3rd and 4th in Osaka:

March 3rd:

- Yasushi Kanda vs. Punch Tominaga: Open the Brave Gate Championship match
    - MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino and Jason Lee) vs. Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, BxB Hulk and Yosuke♡Santa Maria): Open the Triangle Gate Championship match

March 4th:

- T-Hawk and Eita vs. Susumu Yokosuka & Genki Horiguchi: Open the Twin Gate Championship match
    - Ben-K vs. Masaaki Mochizuki: Open the Dream Gate Championship match

I'm intrigued by the Dream Gate title match. The little I've seen of Ben-K, I've enjoyed a lot. And he's actually quite young (turned 26 last October) so there's a lot of upside to him. I'm a bit lukewarm on Mochizuki's title reign so far. I mean, he's good in the ring but as someone who's new to watching the promotion I honestly don't see anything special about him. It feels like this title reign is serving the long-time fans instead.

I'd love to go to both of these shows in person but sadly I already have plans for both dates

The Brain
    I'd be ok with Mochizuki losing the title sometime soon, but probably not to Ben K. I'm still not sure who the best candidate for that is.

That Tribe Vanguard trio looks way, way up my street though!

When Mocchy drops the belt, I think it'll be to a younger guy, to usher in the newest generation as having made it. Kzy could get it if he gets a second shot, but I think it's gonna come down to four people: T-Hawk, Eita, El Lindaman, or Big R Shimizu. Ben-K's a bit too new so I don't think he'll get it yet, but those four have been around for a few years and have built themselves up over time, and I could see any of them getting it. T-Hawk and Eita seem to be beloved by the company, El Lindaman is probably the most overall talented of everyone, and Shimizu's popular and talented. Gotta be one of them to take the belt off of ol' Mochizuki.

The Brain
    Woah, El Lindaman more talented than Eita?!? That's news to me, I gotta take another look at Lindaman!

I did say more 'overall' talented lol. Lindaman's probably one of the best talkers in DG; I remember reports of him destroying even CIMA back when he was still Yuga Hayashi. Neither T-Hawk nor Eita have his mic prowess and oftentimes seem to...kinda suck lol.

Plus I think he's fantastic in the ring, probably a more solid worker than everyone in that group tbh. Problem is, he's more-or-less the 'established fall guy' of VerserK/ANTIAS, good enough to get wins but also regularly taking the losses. So I dunno if he gets as many chances to show that off anymore; he's not as protected in that regard as either T-Hawk or Eita

The Brain
    I was gonna say, I thought he was a bit of a job guy still. But either way I gotta give him another look, I probably can't say much about his mic skills but if he's got those ring skills I want to check it out!

I was also under the impression that El Lindaman was just a job guy. I'll have to keep my eye out for him. I do know that the times I've gone to Dragon Gate shows I want someone to punch him in the face hard, so I guess he's great in that heel role!

Out of all the people Jeff mentioned as better contenders for the Dream Gate title, I hope it's T-Hawk. He's been one of my favorites since I've been watching the promotion. Since he's still only 27 I'm sure he'll have at least one main event run in him eventually, but I hope it's sooner rather than later.

The Brain
    I think he's the next most likely after Eita. Either one would definitely be interesting and a pretty fresh addition to the main event scene.

Watched an El Lindaman tag match yesterday and I'm still not sure I'm seeing what Jeff is seeing in the guy. He's good, but is he that good? Will have to talk about it on the show next week!