Thread: Tracy Island - the Gerry Anderson/Supermarionation Thread

Samuel Plan

Tracy Island - the Gerry Anderson/Supermarionation Thread

Thought it would be fun to make a thread for all things related to British TV genius Gerry Anderson, in lieu of me and Prime Time uncovering one another's love for his puppetry (even if we are the only ones!). I'm talking all things Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlett, Joe 90, The Secret Service and so on.

I'll kick it off with some love for Thunderbirds. God, I love that show. Favourite episodes of mine include the seminal Trapped in the Sky, Pit of Peril, The Uninvited, Attack of the Alligators and 30 Minutes Afternoon. All of which, incidentally, I have always felt would make for excellent live action movie adaptations.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

I own the DVD box set of Thunderbirds. It’s a treasure and an embarrassment.

Desperate intruder gave me nightmares as a child. The scene with Brains dying basically as he had no water.

Sun Probe for sheer drama was and is my favourite.

Naturally for anything involving us that we both like, I dislike most of your episodes.

Pink ice is hilarious from Stingray - pure comedy. I do prefer Stingray generally as the characters were more developed. The Thunderbirds pilots were fairly bland (something the new series tried to address). Troy was far more of a flawed hero.

Atlanta is Miss Moneypenny in the Bond films. I find that mind boggling.

I did watch Captain Scarlett but care for it much less than the other two.
    Last edited by anonymous; 11-05-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Squared
    I love this thread.

Will be back at some point with more details but have seen at least some of almost all Anderson's puppet stuff. Only ones that I don't recall viewing are Twizzle and Supercar. But all the others - Torchy, Stingray, Joe 90, Fireball XL5, Four Feather Falls etc., - Yeah, checked them all out at one time or another.

Have the complete Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet. Not embarrassed by it at all!

Samuel Plan
    You're not wrong nony! I never cared much for Desperate Intruder and Sun Probe was probably my least favourite episode! But only because it always used to stress me out so much, and I honestly don't know why. There was something about that episode that seemed to affect me....

I've only really seen four of Anderson's shows - Thunderbirds; Captain Scarlet; Stingray; Joe 90. I don't remember much of the latter two, especially the last. I do, however, remember having a toy Joe 90 briefcase as a kid. That was seriously awesome. I also remember an episode of Stingray with a ghost ship, I think? There was one where they ended up going to the bottom of the ocean, and I believe there was one with a rose that let off a gas. Oh, and one where you see how the boss in the chair got to be in the chair?!

I actually really liked Captain Scarlet too. Lieutenant Green was always my favourite. The episode where Captain Blue dreams about the Mysterons basically destroying Cloud Base and killing everyone - including Scarlet - gave me nightmares as a kid.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

~ Samuel Plan

Found it...so much entertainment. In terms of women in power and disabled hero’s, it’s way ahead of its time. Commander Shaw’s facial hair throughout amazed me with the detail.

http://dai.ly/x5jhjpm

Squared
    Honestly, my favourite bit of Stingray was the credits. 'Anything can happen in the next half hour!'

I loved the interconnectedness of it all, though: like, Gordon Tracy's backstory meant that he was the submariner for Thunderbird 4 because he'd previously worked for W.A.S.P. and had piloted (operated?) the Stingray class. As a kid I thought details like that were just epic.

I'm less good with episode titles, but man, 'Sun Probe' was so fucking tense. 'Trapped in the Sky' and 'Pit of Peril' didn't have quite the same emotional reaction for me but I do think as pieces of TV storytelling they are as good as anything. Really well carried off stories.

Samuel Plan
    When I was a little lad, I had a Stingray submarine that was properly awesome, because it fired two missiles out of its front end. I remember also having an anthology tape, and there were some bad dudes on there with flat heads.

Interesting you call Sun Probe tense Prime; the main reason I hated it was always because it really upset me! Something about just got me all wound up and agitated, and I guess, looking back, it probably was because of the tension they put into the writing. And by the way, I don't think the writing of these shows get enough credit. Sure it was often very simple, but the plotting was tight and they did a grand job of making you care if the incidental characters got out of whatever predicament they found themselves in that week.

There were some dubious moments, mind. Like sending a dude down into the pit in Pit of Peril with no protective gear other than a mask and watching as he basically almost gets burned alive. Then repeating the exact same thing in the exact same way with a second dude and expecting different results.....

~ Samuel Plan

Squared
    I have a sudden urge to binge on Captain Scarlet, but have too much work to do. Sad PT.

@lopprimetime

Samuel Plan
    Ya know, my favourite guy in Captain Scarlet was always Lieutenant Green. Don't know why; it's not like he ever did anything apart from push some buttons on his desk and read Colonel White's messages. I just liked the dude. I think he went on, like, one mission. He was totally the John Tracey of SPECTRUM.

~ Samuel Plan

I think binging on Supermarionation isn’t a bad use of your time. I enjoy introducing my kids to the old school thunderbirds and they love it.