Thread: Dexter

Dexter

Has anyone read the Dexter books by Jeff Lindsay? My understanding is that the first season of the show was basically a direct adaptation of the first novel in the series but that the two mediums then diverged, each spinning into their own respective extended Dexter narrative.

If this is true, that means that there are basically new Dexter adventures out there, which gives me a happy. I've always held back on actually exploring the novels, though, for reasons I don't quite know.

So has anyone else taken the leap into them? If so, are they basically crime/mystery novels with a delightfully damaged, psychopathic "Sherlock" at the fore or do they focus more on Dexter, himself, and his life in general?

The Brain
    I've not read them but from what I hear they diverge to an INSANE degree, as in arguably into a completely different genre. I have been curious though, so if you check them out I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I'm a big fan of the show, even the admittedly flawed later seasons, so the idea of more Dexter adventures is indeed tantalizing.

I’ve looked them up before as a fan of the show and they definitely get insane. A lot more shocking than the show.

Squared
    I had literally no idea that this started out as a book (or books, by the sounds of things).