Thread: Sonic the Hedgehog

Squared

Sonic the Hedgehog

The new Sonic the Hedghog game, Sonic Forces, is coming in a few days, and the early indicators are it could be something of a return to form after a fairly dodgy few years for the franchise. Coming out across all the major platforms... so who'll be taking a punt on this one?

The Brain
    I don't think there's been a good Sonic game since the advent of 3D, and I'm doubtful about this one. Would be quite curious if someone does pick it up to hear how it is though.

Squared
    So, this didn't exactly catch on last time, so we'll try it as a more general thread for the Sonic Franchise. I imagine that a lot of what we think about this comes from nostalgia and we'd rather talk about the good old days instead of what they have tried to accomplish more recently. So, with that in mind - what are your favourite Sonic games? What do you make of the newer ones? All talk related to the games in this franchise can go here now, rather than just the latest instalment.

@lopprimetime

Where's Cliff gone?!?
    Loved Sonic 1, 2 and 3. Started to lose interest from Sonic & Knuckles onwards. I'm in the process of imaging a Raspberry Pi at the moment and those 3 are high up on the list.

The games were layered very well. At first you just wanted to clear them. Then you could go back and play it again to get the chaos emeralds and maybe find a few ring havens you hadn't spotted the first time. I remember thinking what a cool novelty tails was in the second game. And then what a cool novelty being able to save your progress was in the 3rd (not to mention using tails and just trying to fly to he end of the level where possible).

Haven't really embraced the newer ones. Defo something I must try though!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I don't think there's been a good Sonic game since the advent of 3D
    Sonic Adventure on the Sega Dreamcast was pretty awesome as far as I remember.

Besides that game on the Dreamcast, I never played much Sonic games. I never was a Sega guy. The only reason I played Sonic Adventure a lot was because my girlfriend at the time was really into it. I also have fond memories of Sonic CD. I remember my dad renting me the Sega CD system for a couple of days when it came out including Sonic CD and I really dug it a lot.