Thread: Stephen King Thread

Squared

Stephen King Thread

I don't know many people who haven't read at least one Stephen King novel. The guy's one of the most popular authors in the world and has written a huge amount of material: nearly 60 novels all told and a ridiculous number of smaller things, too. So I figure he deserves his own thread.

I've read a handful, more on the horror end of the spectrum. 'Salem's Lot, The Shining, It, Misery, The Tommyknockers, and Duma Key. Also read the first of the Dark Tower books but have to admit, didn't take to that the way some people have. I'd probably need to read another in the series before I could make a firm decision as to whether it was for me or not, but to honest I tend to find the horror in an otherwise real world stuff that he does far more effective.

As for the others, there's a huge amount that I haven't read, but I think Cell looks like it might be quite interesting, of the more contemporary ones.

Any fans of King's work out there?

The Brain
    Love Stephen King! I've read a good portion of his work at this point. I've liked pretty much everything I've read from him, and I do recommend giving Dark Tower another shot. I thought the first book was interesting but the series evolves to be more accessible with further editions. I also strongly recommend the Stand, which stands as my favorite King book to date.

I think some people were down on Cell but I enjoyed it pretty well, so if you've got it on the shelf give it a shot!

I enjoyed Cell. It wasn't among his best works by a long stretch, but there's plenty there to enjoy. I found it similar to Under the Dome, which of course came out around the same general "era" in his work. It keeps you invested but just doesn't move and breathe in the same way that most of his earlier works did.

Anyone seen the movie? I see it around here and there and just haven't taken the time to watch it yet. I like both John Cusack and Sam Jackson, so I figure I'd at least dig it on a cursory level, if nothing else.

The Brain
    The Cell movie has HORRIBLE reviews, so I've kind of steered away from it. I wouldn't be opposed to watching it, but I wasn't encouraged to seek it out.

Almost forgot about Under the Dome! I actually loved that one a lot more than Cell. The political allegory was a little bit heavy handed I suppose but by and large I just really dug the story, PLUS it has one of my favorite "extended universe" connections, with a super cool and subtle connection to It.

Squared
    I think what I like about the cell is that it's the horror based on contemporary technology. Quite fancy teaching it on those grounds to a generation for whom that tech is just the norm, and who have never known any different.

I see there's another King movie coming out - The 1922 or something like that?

The Brain
    I think it's come out on Netflix already? Based on one of his short stories. Strong influence of Poe in that one, I would say. Haven't seen the film yet but liked the story.

Also on Netflix is Gerald's Game, which I did see and liked pretty well, though it got a little too strange at the end.

Squared
    I knew there's always a market for adaptation of King but didn't know that so many were already on Netflix.

I read 11/22/63 after watching the awesome Hulu series of the same name, good book. I'm weird where I like watching the movie/TV show first so I can put faces to the names.

The Brain
    I feel like it's much harder to find a King story that HASN'T been adapted, at this point.

Didn't see the 11/22/63 series yet but I really enjoyed the book a lot. One of the better time travel conceits I've seen anywhere, and obviously exhaustively researched for an extremely authentic feel. Would strongly recommend that one as well.

Squared
    Has anyone read any of King's non-fiction? I have Danse Macabre lying around and have been meaning to get to it at some point.

The Brain
    I'm not much for non-fiction, so can't help you there. If you do pick it up, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

Eyes of the Dragon is probably my favorite King book. Its his only book that fits the "Fantasy" genre. Its really good and doesnt come across as a typical King novel.

Have you ever read any of his sons books? Joe Hills is a pretty damn good writer himself and I've been a fan of everyone of his books so far. Only thing i dont have is his latest short story books.

The Brain
    You're not the first to recommend Eyes of the Dragon, I really do have to pick that one up.

Did King co-write some stuff with his son? I have a couple books on my shelf that I think they worked on together, but I haven't gotten to them yet. I'm looking forward to cracking them open though.

He just released a novel with his other son Owen called Sleeping Beauties. I think the most Joe has done with his dad is a short story or a comic book.

The Brain
    Ah, that's the one I picked up! I'll have to keep an eye out for Joe as well.

My family and I have been pretty big King fans for years. My personal fave if Pet Sematary, easily his most outright horrifying and terrible work. Haven't read anything that has affected me as much as that one (though IT, The Mist, and N. are also very good). Also recommend Full Dark, No Stars, one of his more recent short story collections. 'Fair Extension' from the book is another one of my faves.

Honestly King's probably had the most influence out of anyone on my writing style, big fan of his works.

The Brain
    Ah, Full Dark No Stars is awesome!! Loved that one. Nice to see that packet of novellas get some love. Can't even pick my favorite of the four, Fair Extension is a great one though. More cynical than his regular stuff, I'd say.

Squared
    Mizfan, saw you said something about the King's you had been reading being up my street: care to elaborate?

The Brain
    Well it's my impression you're more into the detective/thriller style than outright horror, in which case I'd recommend giving Mr Mercedes a look, and if you like it maybe pick up Finder's Keepers. I think it might be more to your taste than King's supernatural horror stuff!

Can't speak for the book, but the Mr. Mercedes TV show was excellent. Makes me want to read the book.

The Brain
    Didn't even realize it was adapted into a show, I'll have to look for that!

Yeah it was on the Audience (DirecTV-owned) channel of all places this past year. Great cast though led by Brendan Gleeson.

Anyone read his Dark Tower series? Amazing set of books. I wouldn't dare touch the film as I've heard it doesn't tie in with the series that much.

IT is probably my favourite standalone. Such a nasty book that one lol.

Steve, I enjoyed Cell and it did have that Under The Dome feel to it. He does the whole "town goes f'n tonto" books well.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook @rickyandclive, or listen to "The Ricky & Clive Wrestling Show", part of the Social Suplex Podcast Network

The Brain
    I've read through the whole Dark Tower series! Finally decided to tackle it last year and was not disappointed. I also skipped the film when I heard about how badly the adaptation went. Maybe I'll pick it up someday... if I don't have to pay for it.

Yes Mizfan I'll wait till that's on Amazon or Netflix before watching it. A lot of King fans don't bother with Dark Tower, but it was actually my first King experience.

An unpopular opinion probably, but I wasn't a fan of 11/22/63. Felt like it was a different story than the blurb would have me believe.
    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook @rickyandclive, or listen to "The Ricky & Clive Wrestling Show", part of the Social Suplex Podcast Network

I haven't read any Dark Tower books as yet but I did watch the movie a couple of days back. Since i hadn't had the pre-conceived notions of it I was able to really enjoy it for what it was, allowing it to become one of my favourite movies from 2017 that I've seen so far.

As to it being hard to find a Stephen King book that hasn't been adapted I never thought they would be able to do Gerald's Game. It was the first of his I ever owned (I had to be early teens then) and even back then I thought ut was too much for film. Anyway when I heard it was being made I was more eager for its release than Dark Tower or It last year. As of writing this I still haven't seen it but I have it on my computer, just waiting for the summer holidays to end so me and my wife can sit down and watch it without kids wondering in.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by 205 Clive View Post
    An unpopular opinion probably, but I wasn't a fan of 11/22/63. Felt like it was a different story than the blurb would have me believe.
    Did you read or watch? I loved the book. I heard the Hulu adaptation wasn't really up to snuff though.

I actually haven't read Gerald's Game, but I saw the film they made and liked it quite a bit!

I read the book. Haven't seen the show. While it was a very well told story overall, I felt mislead and thought it would be more JFK and LHO heavy. And the effects of what would happen if the future changed were an afterthought. A mere chapter or so. If it was about a different time in history (not even a publicly recognized event - something more personal) I could have got on board more.