Thread: Favorite Teams

Favorite Teams

Kinda random, but I've always found this topic a good one for discussion.

What are your personal favorite sports teams? Current, all-time, specific years/seasons, whatever.

I don't watch a lot of sports, honestly. I'm a football guy, though not anywhere near the level of some of the more passionate fans. I'll just say that the result of a football game has never once ruined the rest of my day or anything.

I also used to watch a lot of basketball, especially in my younger years, and it's my personal favorite sport to play. I can't move or run for shit due to old football injuries but I've actually got a pretty good shot. In other words, I'm your classic white guy baller.

Here are some of my personal favorites. You don't have to follow the same format when posting, of course, as I'm not covering the overwhelming majority of sports since I'm largely clueless about them.

Football: Dallas Cowboys (specifically the 1992-1996 teams)
    Basketball: Jordan Era Chicago Bulls

Which teams are your favorites?

Squared
    My favourite teams are usually England. In Rugby and Cricket, that's the case for sure. Can't look past the 2003 RWC winners, though I'm really loving the current crop at the moment. Then in cricket, I'm most attached to some of the players from my youth, but as a collective team the guys who won back-to-back-to-back Ashes series in 2009, 2010-11 and 2013 have to be the ones.

The club game is a bit less important in those sports, hence why the national team is the be all and end all. I do have club sides in both England and Wales, but they are on the small side. Local teams, not the heavy hitters in either the Premiership or the Pro14. I support my county in Cricket, Warwickshire, but county cricket is really just a game for us anorak's. Most people only follow the T20 or One Day Cup sides if they follow it at all. Wouldn't be surprised if there were as many IPL or Big Bash League fans in the UK now.

Over the years I've got less attached to the England football team, and am unambiguously more of a club man in the game. Aston Villa are my club, and the side I'm most attached to is the one from around 2008 who were kind of 'glorious failures' in the league and UEFA Cup. I was as engrossed in football as at any point in my life then, so I lived it a lot more than, say, the 1994, 1996 or 1999 teams, who'd also belong in the discussion. Honourable mention, too, to the side from the late 1980s who were before my time but that I discovered on tape. It's not nostalgia for them, more of a kind of faded glory. If I were to pick a favourite England team... probably the Euro 1996 team.

When it comes to American sports, I have my teams in some and am more of a wanderer in others, but they're all a lot less intense. Like you say, even when one of my American teams loses, it doesn't ruin my day. When Villa lost 10 years ago it used to ruin the first half of my week.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 11-03-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Football: Wales and Cardiff
    Rugby: Wales
    Cricket: Glamorgan
    American Football: Seattle Seahawks
    F1: McLaren

I do play football for a team so support them too but unless youíre massively interested in the Bedfordshire County Football League itís not worth mentioning.

Football, Rugby and F1 are my main hardcore support. McLaren and the Seahawks are more casual but I still route for them.

Any specific reason why the Seahawks?

Mainly because they were always my Madden team growing up. Even when theyíve been dreadful Iíve always followed them (and played as them). Weirdly because of its location (I like heat) I doubt Iíll ever go to Seattle but Iíve followed them so long now I canít imagine supporting anyone else.

Squared
    You never followed a club team (even Cardiff) at Rugby to go with Wales?

I did follow Llanelli growing up but the interest in domestic rugby died as its coverage got worse in all honesty. If something went off television growing up, I often lost interest in it. Treat it like a wrestling company losing their tv deal. There was less rugby on then than there is now.

Squared
    Llanelli is an interesting one. Do you have any connection with that area or was it the glamour side? But yeah, maybe check the Scarlets out now, they are basically the same side and are playing some quality stuff.

Does explain why there's no love for the Blues, mind. No one can follow them when they've supported elsewhere.

Hardcore team is Arsenal FC in the English Premier League. Football (soccer) is pretty important to me, as Prime said earlier, important enough to ruin my day should it go wrong, as stupid as that sounds. I do however support FC Barcelona too as I grew up in Spain. And a fondness of Newcastle United, as that's where I have lived for the last 8 years (in case you were wondering, was born in London, hence the Arsenal love)

With most other sports I tend to follow, but not overly support teams:

American Football - Giants
    Basketball - Bulls, but also Heat
    Rugby - England
    Baseball - Yankees (it's kind of the go to team for most people who don't watch baseball I feel)

With some sports, I follow the team of a certain individual. So at the moment you could say I'm an F1 Mercedes fan as I'm a fan of Lewis Hamilton. Then there's times whereby I don't really care for the sport, but when a certain event comes by, I'm quite passionate about it; main example here would be Golf's European Ryder Cup Team. I occasional;y follow the Majors, but when the Ryder Cup comes by I'm stuck on the sofa all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Llanelli is an interesting one. Do you have any connection with that area or was it the glamour side? But yeah, maybe check the Scarlets out now, they are basically the same side and are playing some quality stuff..
    My school PE teacher played for them in the 80ís... it was that simple. He used to get us tickets when they came to Newport or Cardiff. It helped that they were the glamour side though.

Dallas Cowboys, Mavs, Texas Rangers

Football: Minnesota Vikings
    Baseball: Baltimore Orioles (Dodgers when I was growing up- Garvey, Cey, Lopes, Yeager...great team)
    Soccer: Tottenham

Don't follow hockey or basketball

Eagles
    76ers
    Flyers

And Cincinatti Reds. Weird huh.