Thread: What were your favourite kids shows growing up?

Squared

What were your favourite kids shows growing up?

Ah yes, time for a little bit of nostalgia. This came to me when I spotted the Power Rangers on Netflix and tried to watch the first episode for old times' sake but couldn't make it past the first few minutes. That was honestly never a favourite of mine but a huge craze for a short while, and I did get to thinking as a result of the stuff that I was really into.

I'll get the ball rolling with Teenage Mutant Hero (Ninja, I guess, to a lot of you) Turtles. I loved those cartoons as a kid. There's a part of me deep down that is still really bothered that I've never been able to get on board with any of the movies. The 8 year old that still exists somewhere in my brain still feels like the franchise is capable of delivering the next Citizen Kane despite all the external evidence to the contrary.

I'm sure if this gets rolling one person's memory will jog another's and we'll be revelling in 1980s and 1990s goodness before too long, so let's hear it - what did you love to watch when you were growing up? Videos of cracking theme songs from that glorious era are also particularly appreciated.

Thundercats undisputed for me. He-Man and Turtles got a lot of play either side but Thundercats was cartoon peak.

Those two are etched on my mind as defining my childhood, I think. The other ones I loved were M.A.S.K. and Captain Planet. M.A.S.K. was ace. 'Maaaaasked crusaaaaaders working overtime, fighting crime'

COPS was good too - fighting crime in a future time. I also remember watching a lot of Thunderbirds - I think they remastered them all in the early 90s, and I remember my dad taped them all onto VHS to keep a copy. I still love all those old Gerry Anderson programs now, Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and so on.

Squared
    Yeah, Thundercats was awesome. Only downside was the number of playground tantrums about two kids wanting to be Lion-O.

Cracking intro too. Top-notch 80s tropes.

Never got into He-man so much if I'm honest.

M.A.S.K. is probably the best theme of any cartoon ever, though I remember the theme better than I do the show nowadays!

I watched Thunderbirds and the other Jerry Anderson stuff so much that someone got me the whole lot for my 30th birthday. I think they thought it was a joke but I was thrilled.

For me my late tweens and early teenage years were all about Pokemon & Dragon Ball Z, they played after one another each morning, I wasn't allowed to watch TV before school so I would tape them, run home in the afternoon and put the tape on straight away.

I never got to experience the joy of Thundercats, I have heard amazing things though.

MASK was a top 5 cartoon and top 3 toy. I remember getting bolder mountain one Christmas but seeing it in my parents wardrobe before hand. That was the big glass smash moment for me.

Squared
    Ah, lost innocence.

Transformers was a similar one to Turtles for me, although at least we had the animated movie of that one. Still can't stand any of the more recent things and deep down it bothers me. That was another one for kids crying though - not everyone can be Optimus Prime, guys, chill out.

My parents never actually told me the truth about Christmas until I was like 18/19 and they were just absent mindedly wrapping my sister's presents in front of me one Christmas Eve. They turned to me and just went 'Oh, we forgot we haven't told you...but you knew anyway, right?' and then just carried on.

I liked Thunderbirds so much that my mum and I built a Tracey Island, as seen on Blue Peter, one summer holiday.

As Sam said above, Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z would show every weekday here on Cheez TV at 7:30 and 8:00. I lost count of the number of times I was running late to school every day cause I had to watch the end of the Dragon Ball Z episode.

Oh I never let on that I knew. Why would I risk less presents? I still don't think I've let on.

Matt, you are such a young kid!

Also +10 to Oli for Anthea

Squared
    Remember when Anthea did that 'good girl gone bad' photoshoot with the snake? Cos I do. But then I was about 13 at the time, so it sort of goes without saying.

And yeah, I was thinking that about these youngsters, feeling geriatric now!

Maz, you're a bit older than me - I guess you wouldn't extend to things like Rude Dog and the Dweebs or the Where's Wally cartoon?

One that I think only the brits out there will get....

I loved Rude Dogg. Can't remember the Where's Wally cartoon. When it comes to Brit stuff, Dogtanian and the Muskahounds owns forever.

I loved Thundercats and Transformers, but I also really liked stuff like Hong Kong Phooey, Captain Caveman and Blue Falcon and Dynomutt.

My Dad seemed to have a lot of videos of old TV shows lying around. Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat, Tom And Jerry - that era of Hanna Barbera cartoons has never been matched, in my opinion. I can still watch them and laugh even today.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    I loved Rude Dogg.
    Another of my favourites. I'd watch this now if I could get hold of it.

Definitely had a lot of time for the older Hanna Barbera stuff too. Liked Pink Panther, Flintstones, Top Cat, Yogi Bear and all that, but my favourite were the Dastardly and Muttley stuff, especially Wacky Races.

Also used to enjoy watching the old Looney Tunes, while we're mentioning it.

The Brain
    Amazed there hasn't been more Power Rangers talk in here. That was definitely the most consistent one for me, really dug it for about the first 7 seasons or so before finally slipping away. I've gone back to watch a few of the later seasons in recent years and found some of them are still pretty fun, provided you set your expectations accordingly while tuning in.

I think the childhood favorite that holds up best now is, maybe surprisingly, the Beast Wars Transformers show they did. That had a surprisingly complex plot and a few really layered characters, especially for a franchise that historically has been mostly about selling action figures. Rewatched that too a few years back and found myself really enjoying it.

Another couple big ones were the X Men and Spiderman 90s cartoons. Those were really true to the comics and made a huge impression on me. They also hold up pretty well from what I've seen, very enjoyable.

Old Looney Tunes are spectacular of course, basically anything from the 40s and 50s, especially Chuck Jones cartoons.

Squared
    I don't know if the Americans will have even had this, so it might be a bit niche, but as Mazza mentioned it:

I don't know why they wouldn't have had it; not like it was a British show, and it was successful. The same people did Around the World with Willy Fog a couple of years later.

My holy trinity was Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles and Batman. Always/forever Batman.

Rugrats, Batman Animated series, Doug, DBZ

The Brain
    I never watched much of Batman TAS as a kid, but I recently watched the first episode and thought it was quite good. Will probably watch through the whole show in the near future.

Dating myself here, but Voltron, Thundercats, Land of the Lost, Tom and Jerry,

Punky Brewster, Saved by the Bell, Beverly Hills 90210, Ghostbusters cartoon, He-man, Pee Wee Playhouse, Full House, Who’s the Boss, TMNT, and of course anything WWE

A few off the top of my head: Original Transformers, He-Man, GI Joe, TMNT, You Can't Do That on Television, Inspector Gadget, Snorks.

Just to name a few

- X Men
    - Dragonball Z
    - Doreamon
    - Pokemon

Ghostbusters cartoon was amazing!!!!!!!!!

Younger: Thunderbirds, Rugrats, Sooty, Stingray, Wacky Races, Hey Arnold, Arthur, Blue Peter
    Teenager: Saved by the Bell, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Kenan and Kel, Recess, Grange Hill, The Queen’s nose.

Had a lot of love for Heartbreak High in my teens.