Thread: What was the first album/single you bought?

Squared

What was the first album/single you bought?

Simple enough premise, title should explain it all. What was the first album or single that you bought?

I'd had things bought for me when I was quite young - The Beatles and suchlike - which actually prompted me to have a lifelong love of music from way before I was born (I'm as likely to be found listening to something like Elmore James or Bessie Smith nowadays), but the first thing I ever bought for myself, with my own money, was during the big Britpop boom of the 1990s, when I spent what seemed like a fortune at the time on a CD copy of 'What's the Story morning glory?' by Oasis. I'd done a lot of taping other stuff in the interim, but this was the first time I ever stumped up the cash for something rather than just borrowing and half-inching some of my old man's blank cassettes. While my love for the band has done more waning than waxing over the past 20+ years, there are still a few tracks on that album that I'm very partial to, and a couple that I don't like in quite the same way but I can still get very nostalgic about.

I was never one for buying singles in the first instance, but did go through a phase of buying shit singles from bargain bins and charity shops. I think the first one I can remember buying was the England Supporter's Band song for Euro 2000. I bought it for about 50p as a teenager thinking it'd be awful, and I wasn't disappointed. Check it out if you want, was called 'The Great Escape 2000'.

Enough about me. Do you remember your first?

Good but embarrassing thread:

Single becuase it had The Cup of Life on it

First album, equally as bad. I thought Everybody get up was so cool

Late As Usual

Follow me on Twitter - Sir_Samuel

Hey, 5ive were great!

I think my first single was Ooh Ah Cantona by 1300 Drums. I remember it came on cassette and had a green cover with Eric in the middle, his back turned and the collar on his shirt popped. I always thought Cantona was the coolest damn football player alive. Still do, to be honest. I also remember have Three Lions on cassette, which must have been at around the same time, and it came in a card case rather than a plastic one which I loved. I played that so much the tape got distorted and the slip disintegrated around the edges. Might still have that one lying around at home, I don't think I ever really got rid of those sorts of things.

First album - one of either Spice by Spice Girls, Said And Done by Boyzone, or Take That's Greatest Hits. They all tend to merge into one in my mind, so it's possible I even got them all at the same time.

Squared
    Ha, can tell you guys are a little younger than me. It's funny because between my year and the year below in school seemed to be the line at which it became acceptable for boys to like boy/girl bands. It was absolutely verboten for the lads my age, with the punishment being that you'd have been ribbed mercilessly for it (although I must admit, even then the All Saints were basically a secret shame thing for me). But yeah, Spice Girls, Take That and all that stuff was seen as 'girls stuff', while people even just a year or so below... not the case.

Thank god we've left that bullshit behind eh.

EDIT: Have just remembered my thing for picking up shitty singles at cheap prices meant that I did have a copy of 'Ice, Ice Baby' on cassette single at one point, so I shouldn't ever be allowed to criticise anyone, ever.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 10-31-2017 at 08:10 AM.

All Saints were the best. Never Ever is an all time top ten song for me.

Torn by Natalie Imbruglia is #1. I remember that being one of the first CD singles I owned.

Squared
    Yeah, that's a great pop song. Torn, I mean. Everyone liked that, and if you're the right age I don't know anyone who can't sing along with it. I don't know if she really did anything after it though?

As you mentioned Three Lions, I had that on the first compilation album I ever bought (taking this back to the subject of the thread) rather than taping, which was this beautiful specimen:

I tell you what, some of that still looks pretty good to me.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 10-31-2017 at 08:41 AM.

First single I ever bought with my own money (first piece of music I purchased on my own, in general) was Gin & Juice by Snoop Doggy Dogg.

First full album was a short time later when I grabbed Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits and it proceeded to change my life.

Squared
    I don't know enough about rap to comment on the single, but I doubt many people are going to be able top the album when it comes to cool. Dammit, Steve, first albums are supposed to be at least a little bit embarrassing!

I honestly can't remember but I definitely owned some sort of spice girls single, but I don't think I bought it. It could have been Linkin Park Hybrid Theory as I was completely obsessed with them or possibly D12 Devils Night as I also loved Eminem.

Someone bought me the Slim Shady LP when it came out in 1999 and I was roughly 10. I bought it again recently.

I tended not to be given much money at age 10 (is that normal? I assume so) so yeah, I just listened to Eminem on repeat. When the Marshall Mathers LP came out a few years later and there were the lines "Boy girl bands make me sick" it shaped who I was and I decided I didn't like pop music at all.

I can remember the first ever albums I owned that were bought for me (but I chose) when I was about 9 were Michael Jackson - Dangerous and Thriller, Kriss Kross - Totally Krossed Out and the 1992 Australian Cast of Jesus Christ Superstar.

As to the first one I bought from my own money I believe was Live - Throwing Copper but that is a little sketchy on the memory

First single might have been a couple of years later which I think was Living End - Prisoner of Society/Second Solution