Thread: Ethan Carter III discussion

Squared

Ethan Carter III discussion

So I figure that EC3 needs his own thread. I can't imagine anyone would argue that he's the biggest star that Impact have got left on their roster, even though he is not really doing very much except hanging around as Grand Champion and teaming with James Storm.

The dilemma with Ethan is that he is the biggest name on the roster at this point and short of getting other talent in to do the job, he's got to get back into the main event at some point. However, he's also made it clear that he thinks he has unfinished business in the WWE and will probably jump at the chance to go back if there's any kind of interest in that quarter - and given the way Impact has driven over a cliff in the four years since he signed, you can hardly blame him if he does make that move.

That'd raise some other issues about whether or not he actually came in as EC3 given the connections to the Carter's, or if he is given a completely new character (or, I guess, if he has some kind of Wallstreet/IRS transition going on), and whether or not it'd work as well.

But leaving that aside for the moment, if you're Impact management, what do you do with Ethan in the next 6-12 months, knowing that you've few people with bigger name value and yet he might be out the door at the first opportunity?

I still think he's the biggest opportunity WWE have missed in recent years, as I did at the time of his release. Charismatic, with the look and promo skills to put butts in seats.

It's funny, because I want to see him back in WWE but I'm really not sure where he'd fit in currently. Feels like he's kind of found a promotion that supports him in TNA/IMPACT/GFW, and I wouldn't want to see him lose the kind of shine they can give him, unless WWE is going to really commit to him.

If I were Impact right now? I'd be painting him and Storm as the 'last survivors' of TNA. Could be a kind of tweener gimmick. It sounds sort of shit in my head, but equally like it could work - basically paint them as the longest surviving guys on the roster, desperate to keep the TNA fire burning through all the change they've had over recent years. Just show that they've been there forever (relatively speaking - obviously very true for Storm, but not for EC3) and they don't want the show to go down through bad ownership and are pissed off that it's being run by cowboys who are messing the company around.

Not sure whether that will continue to work - if Jarrett was still in charge and trying to overhaul it to be GFW, I'd have pitched it as 'Originals' vs 'New Guys' (it doesn't quite work because of Jarrett being involved, obviously) and built to Lockdown. There's a few scraps of guys who have been there for years, and you could have built a team out of Carter, Storm, Abyss, Spud, and Dutt (for example) to go up against El Patron, Johnny Impact, Trevor Lee, Chris Adonis and Eli Drake or something similar. Obviously, that seems unlikely now, although they could run a similar kind of angle with it. Plus, if he does get a WWE offer and jump ship, you could just make like he was a disgruntled employee who left because of all the changes - it kind of works in the general scheme of things, I guess.

I think the Grand Championship is utterly stupid, but at least he's doing something, I guess. He probably deserves more than it, but like you say if he's potentially thinking about leaving and you know about it why would you give him anything super important today. That said, it's not like there's a lot of talk about him moving on that I've read, so maybe he's on their radar?

Did the Evolve thing he was heading towards go anywhere? I remember that 'shoot' from a year or so ago, but never really followed it closely afterwards.

Super Moderator
    I love EC3. I think he's the total package and could be a money player with the right exposure.

The thing about him, is that I don't think WWE missed the boat, because I don't think that he was as good as he is when he was in WWE. I think he needed to be let go and head someplace pissed off, with a chip on his shoulder eager to prove them wrong. That's where he either developed those skills, or tapped into them. Sort of like Steve Austin -- you could tell he had all the tools when he was in WCW, and he probably could have made it to the upper part of the card in time, but it took that release and tapping in to what made him Stone Cold for him to become the biggest star in the business.

Does his name have to change at all, even if he goes elsewhere? I'm not even talking from a rights POV, but just since his name is tied to his fictitious relation to a person no longer involved with wrestling. It's strange.

Squared
    No, not saying it definitely has to change. Just that they might think of that. Even if it's just at the level of no one will know why being a Carter would make you spoiled, if they wanted to hit a reset button... or maybe even not wanting to have anything to do with Dixie Carter, even at the most distant level. It doesn't have to change, but given the provenance of the gimmick, I'm sure it'd be something they considered even if it didn't lead anywhere.

Coach, I think WWE definitely missed something with him. Everything was there in his two NXT runs, he had a presence and was over as hell with D-Bry as his mentor, funny without overcooking it too often, and was such an obvious choice of winner I remember being shocked when he ended up eliminated. Then he (and Curtis, Maxine, and Kaitlyn) basically carried Redemption after it stopped being a game show and started being an actual wrestling. I know I'm just one guy, but I was tuning in on a weekly basis pretty much just to watch Bateman on that show. He looked like a star and came across as one.

The Brain
    I liked him a lot even in WWE but I do think he got better in TNA. It was certainly the right move for him to go there, imagine if he was still treading ground in WWE all this time.

I'd get EC3 the hell away from the Grand Championship, have him run James Storm out of Impact for good and turn up the dial on him as a heel as far as possible before putting the world title back on him, taking it from whoever the hell the hottest face the company has now (I have no idea who that is, to be honest). I like Eli Drake a lot, but anything he can do EC3 can do better.

Squared
    Am I the only person who doesn't utterly despise the Grand championship?

Is there anything to the argument that Ethan doesn't need the title, so by keeping him off it you give some sort of a rub to a match or feud elsewhere that needs the help?

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Am I the only person who doesn't utterly despise the Grand championship?
    Yes.

I guess there's some value in the idea that EC3 doesn't "need" the title, but I'm a big proponent of pairing your best/hottest guy with the title whenever possible, because even today that's the first thing a lot of potential fans look at. They want to know who the champ is and often decide if they want to watch or not based on that alone.

Its weird, i like EC3 but the more i see him in ring, the less i like. He's had big matches in impact and they've rarely been anything beyond decent. Now, he's not some 15 year vet but i have yet to see the major improvements.

The Brain
    I thought he had a lot of good stuff in 2015-16 at least. His stuff with Spud is pure gold, with the Hair vs. Hair being the obvious crowning achievement but also a really fun sprint rematch later that year, and the cage match from the year after. His stuff with Matt Hardy was also really good I thought, between Full Metal Mayhem, Last Man Standing, and the cage match, and some of their other stuff too. Thought he's also had really good stuff with random guys over the years, like Aries, Lashley, PJ Black (randomly), and even guys like Tyrus and Drew Galloway. Also caught him doing some super fun stuff in House of Hardcore in late 2015, feuding with Tommy Dreamer in some super fun matches. He's kind of counter to the "modern style" of go-go-go, but I feel he's great at fundamentals and most of all keeping the crowd hot, which is such a valuable talent nowadays.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    but I'm a big proponent of pairing your best/hottest guy with the title whenever possible

Oh, I'm totally with you as a general principle. I guess I was kind of thinking that as they don't have a lot going for them this might be a case where they need to gee things up any way that they can.

The Brain
    Well they can certainly find something better for him than a random six man tag with AAA guys at their biggest PPV. Seems like right now they are getting the worst of both worlds, keeping him away from the title and not using him to heat up any other feuds either. Maybe I'm missing something but that's what it looks like on paper. They made it obvious he was going to be de-emphasized as soon as power changed hands, which is one of the big things which killed my interest in the product.

Squared
    I know I'm not watching regular so it's not the best stress test, but I don't have a fucking clue what is going on with EC3/Storm and the AAA guys. What moron thought this was a good idea.

Squared
    Sounds like EC3 is going to be working, for at least a short time, an open challenge thing in the manner of some of the US champions in the WWE.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    I've long found him very underrated in the ring, so sounds like a good chance for him to show off that fact.

The MP is reporting that he's done with Impact, and he's posted an Instagram of him bowing which (I guess) is a cryptic thank you sort of message.

Supposedly granted an early release from his contract which, if true, makes me assume he has something somewhere lined up to go to.

Squared
    There has been rumours for weeks that he is on his way to the E, but this I guess has to be the biggest indicator yet.

@lopprimetime

Squared
    Reliably informed that this required moving here.

@lopprimetime

What do you guys make of EC3. I've seen exactly one match of his, against Slade Mercer at my local indy. It was pretty good but I'd hardly say it gives me any kind of handle on how he will fit into the WWE style and system.

If nothing else the dude looks the part.

ECIII is fucking awesome. Above average in ring skills, awesome on the mic, and excellent at character work, even throughout matches. His feud with Spud was a revelation, and not just in TNA- it was the best feud in all of wrestling at the time. ECIII is easily capable of being a world title heel in WWE. Having said that, WWE will fuck it up. They'll make him some bland baby and wonder why he isnt working out. The guy is a natural chickenshit/strength in numbers/loopholes/opportunistic heel. Just give him a mic and let him loose. Fans will boo him louder than they cheer any face in the building.

The Brain
    Agree with Kleck, he's pretty good in the ring for the most part and can be quite brilliant as a promo/character. Hope WWE does justice to him. Sam, if you can dig up his hair vs. hair match with Spud, I highly recommend it, especially if you get some idea of the backstory.

He's OK. A good heel. I don't think I would say more than that for him.